PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new home defense/suppressor host pistol

teutonicpolymer
04-07-14, 04:51
I am looking to get a new handgun that can serve as a primary home defense gun and am hoping for some advice as to which pistol to get. I am looking at either getting a 9mm or .45 cal.

Accuracy and trigger are pretty important for me (reliability is still #1), I would like something that I have trouble outshooting off the bench or offhand so I can spend my time improving my skills instead of spending my time wondering if errors are due to me or the pistol.

Few things:
-I have a slight preference for 9mm. Partly due to the lower ammo cost, but largely because I would like to get a Liberty Mystic can.
-My budget is not unlimited. I foresee people recommending the HK45T and while I would like one, the cost is a little too high after magazines and accessories are considered.
-I have traditionally been a Glock guy but part of me would like to try something else.
-This won't be used for concealed carry except for maybe in the winter, so I want a full size.

I am not entirely sure what to get, but these are some options I have thought of (I am very interested in hearing options that aren't on this list):
-CZ P09
-Glock 17 gen 4
-Glock 21 gen 4
-M&P 9L
-M&P 45

Thanks for any advice

Dock Rocker
04-07-14, 08:53
I went with the FNX Tactical. It is a .45 that holds a pile of ammo, has night sites, a rail for a light, a threaded barrel, and raised sights to see over a round can. This is the pistol that sits by my bed at night and its the one that we use on the range as a suppressor host. Its a great all around gun and when you get it you will not have to go adding aftermarket parts its ready to go out of the box.

OldState
04-07-14, 10:07
I would stick with Glock or M&p for just after market support alone. Tons of holsters, sights, etc and mags are cheap and easy to find (at least since the Newtown panic). Excellent ergonomics.

Now that SW has fixed the accuracy and trigger issues with the 9mms the M&p is hard to beat. They also have had the best .45 polymer for a while IMO. Very accurate.

Get one with a thumb safety and put an Apex FSS trigger in and you will have as close to a polymer 1911 as you can find.

The Walther PPQ get rave reviews but you have far less aftermarket support.

Glocks are having some issues if you read the threads here

EvgeniBG
04-07-14, 11:11
I foresee people recommending the HK45T and while I would like one, the cost is a little too high after magazines and accessories are considered.

You don't want to spend some more money for HK but you still call yourself "Teutonic polymer?"
Just kidding...:cool:
Now seriously - if HK45T is beyond your budget - how about HK USP45 Tactical? IMHO, the best option in general - for your pusposes.
This would be my choice.
Good luck!

teutonicpolymer
04-07-14, 11:58
You don't want to spend some more money for HK but you still call yourself "Teutonic polymer?"
Just kidding...:cool:
Now seriously - if HK45T is beyond your budget - how about HK USP45 Tactical? IMHO, the best option in general - for your pusposes.
This would be my choice.
Good luck!

It isn't that the gun itself is necessarily too expensive, but after everything is said and done aftermarket support is limited and parts are not cheap. I like Glock because I can go to one of dozens of websites to order a very reasonably priced replacement part.

I neglected to mention this but I really want the ability to have both a threaded and non-threaded barrel because there is a good chance I will visit family in more restrictive states than mine and would not be able to leave the threaded barrel in.

teutonicpolymer
04-07-14, 12:02
I would stick with Glock or M&p for just after market support alone. Tons of holsters, sights, etc and mags are cheap and easy to find (at least since the Newtown panic). Excellent ergonomics.

Now that SW has fixed the accuracy and trigger issues with the 9mms the M&p is hard to beat. They also have had the best .45 polymer for a while IMO. Very accurate.

Get one with a thumb safety and put an Apex FSS trigger in and you will have as close to a polymer 1911 as you can find.

The Walther PPQ get rave reviews but you have far less aftermarket support.

Glocks are having some issues if you read the threads here

I would really like to try the M&P 9L but I am hesitant because even now I hear of accuracy issues. I guess this might be mitigated since I would need to buy a new threaded barrel anyways, but still.

I have had no issues with recent productuin Glocks so I am not too worried, however I do want to try something new.

If the PPQ had more aftermarket support and had an m1 version kit with threaded and non threaded barrels then this thread probably wouldn't have been made...

MegademiC
04-07-14, 18:24
I would suggest mp40, mp45, mp9, or a 9mm glock... But I'm a striker fan. Really, I'm not a 40 fan, but the mp 40 is the most solid purchase right now, 15 rds ur not giving up much, and sl makes 9 conv bbls.

richiecotite
04-07-14, 19:58
M&P 45 with threaded barrel, light, crimson trace grips, (ie totally setup) will run you the same as an HK 45 caliber tactical model, or fnx45 tactical. Grip isn't huge like the fn, will hold a couple more rounds than the HK without having t use a rail adapter.

Full disclosure I have an mp45 with, night sights, 14 round mag and tlr1 as my nightstand/dedicated bedroom pistol. Mostly because it makes sense for me.

MSparks909
04-07-14, 20:23
Keep in mind that .45 is already subsonic. You would have to use 147gr. 9mm's to be subsonic to take full advantage of the suppressor. If you don't care about the sonic crack, disregard everything I just said.

ralph
04-07-14, 20:47
It isn't that the gun itself is necessarily too expensive, but after everything is said and done aftermarket support is limited and parts are not cheap. I like Glock because I can go to one of dozens of websites to order a very reasonably priced replacement part.

I neglected to mention this but I really want the ability to have both a threaded and non-threaded barrel because there is a good chance I will visit family in more restrictive states than mine and would not be able to leave the threaded barrel in.

Where are you buying parts at ? HK parts.net? Today I ordered a 3+4 detent plate for a HK45,($6.95) 2 trigger return springs for a P-2000 (light LEM, $1each) 1 trigger return spring (light LEM, $2 ) for a P-30, from HKUSA, and the total cost was $21 ($10 shipping) Call HKUSA for HK parts.. Usually, everything is in stock.HK parts.net is way overpriced on everything...

teutonicpolymer
04-07-14, 22:20
The M&P 45 even after Apex kit, threaded barrel, and sights would be about as much as the FNX 45 tac or the HK45 but I think I would like the M&P more at that point

I am not overly concerned with caliber but the fact that the Mystic exists is kind of swaying me towards 9mm

I know that some HK parts are cheap but others are not. An example is the barrel which is probably what I would need to buy. Regardless, I am almost considering an HK USP Expert 9mm and just saving up to buy a Jarvis barrel when the time comes just because I don't want to be disappointed with accuracy yet again... I guess the HK45T or USP 9 SD might make more sense but I would need the non-threaded barrel first and I would not have enough money to get a non-threaded barrel off the bat. I have however been keeping my eye on HKPro as there is talk of an FDE HK45 group buy that would be perfect but I have no idea when that will ever happen.

OldState
04-07-14, 23:23
I would really like to try the M&P 9L but I am hesitant because even now I hear of accuracy issues. I guess this might be mitigated since I would need to buy a new threaded barrel anyways, but still.

I have had no issues with recent productuin Glocks so I am not too worried, however I do want to try something new.

If the PPQ had more aftermarket support and had an m1 version kit with threaded and non threaded barrels then this thread probably wouldn't have been made...

As I noted, the accuracy issues have been fixed. There is large thread on them.

ralph
04-08-14, 08:37
The M&P 45 even after Apex kit, threaded barrel, and sights would be about as much as the FNX 45 tac or the HK45 but I think I would like the M&P more at that point

I am not overly concerned with caliber but the fact that the Mystic exists is kind of swaying me towards 9mm

I know that some HK parts are cheap but others are not. An example is the barrel which is probably what I would need to buy. Regardless, I am almost considering an HK USP Expert 9mm and just saving up to buy a Jarvis barrel when the time comes just because I don't want to be disappointed with accuracy yet again... I guess the HK45T or USP 9 SD might make more sense but I would need the non-threaded barrel first and I would not have enough money to get a non-threaded barrel off the bat. I have however been keeping my eye on HKPro as there is talk of an FDE HK45 group buy that would be perfect but I have no idea when that will ever happen.

Why do you think you need a barrel? HK's are known for accuracy with stock barrels...I've never heard of anyone replacing the barrel to get better accuracy.. The stock barrel will be more way accurate than you are.. If you wanted another barrel, my point above was call HKUSA first, their prices are waaay cheaper. Whatever HK parts.net has them for, figure about half from HKUSA... I recently bought a OD HK45t from Grant.. Although I don't have many rounds through it, (manly due to the weather) what little bit I've shot it shows it is extremely accurate, with the stock barrel..It's probably one of the easiest guns to shoot accurately with..

teutonicpolymer
04-08-14, 12:03
Why do you think you need a barrel? HK's are known for accuracy with stock barrels...I've never heard of anyone replacing the barrel to get better accuracy.. The stock barrel will be more way accurate than you are.. If you wanted another barrel, my point above was call HKUSA first, their prices are waaay cheaper. Whatever HK parts.net has them for, figure about half from HKUSA... I recently bought a OD HK45t from Grant.. Although I don't have many rounds through it, (manly due to the weather) what little bit I've shot it shows it is extremely accurate, with the stock barrel..It's probably one of the easiest guns to shoot accurately with..

I think you misunderstood

I would need a new barrel in case I visit family in states with restrictive gun laws because there are regulations against pistols with threaded barrels

One of the reasons I would be interested in an HK would be to not worry about accuracy, if I needed to buy a new barrel for an HK I wouldn't even be interested in one since the triggers tend to be crap out of the box

At this point I am considering just getting Bar-sto or KKM barrels for existing guns and calling it done...

ralph
04-08-14, 17:11
I think you misunderstood

I would need a new barrel in case I visit family in states with restrictive gun laws because there are regulations against pistols with threaded barrels

One of the reasons I would be interested in an HK would be to not worry about accuracy, if I needed to buy a new barrel for an HK I wouldn't even be interested in one since the triggers tend to be crap out of the box

At this point I am considering just getting Bar-sto or KKM barrels for existing guns and calling it done...

Ok, Gotcha..

DreadPirateMoyer
04-09-14, 02:23
OP:

I went through this decision about this time last year. I ended up settling on, believe it or not, the Beretta 92A1 and getting the barrel threaded by Tornado Tech. The Beretta 92A1 has a few advantages over other guns when considering use as a suppressor host for home defense:

The barrel is extended enough to allow threading; no need to buy aftermarket barrels.
The barrel/locking block moves linearly backwards instead of tilting like a standard Browning action, adding reliability with a suppressor (in fact, the linear-recoiling barrel works so well with a can that you don't need to run a booster for the first few rounds and the gun will function fine without it; after a few rounds, though, the carbon buildup slows the slide down and the booster is needed after that).
The 92A1 includes a dovetailed rear *and* front sight, allowing you to put on Trijicon HD Night sights or the new offerings from Wilson Combat.
The 92A1 also includes an internal recoil buffer to help mitigate wear, which helps with a suppressor.
It has a picatinny accessory rail for attachment of lights, and because of its aluminum frame, it doesn't suffer from reliability problems with weapons lights like Glocks sometimes do.
The Beretta 92 series of guns has factory 30-round magazines, and Beretta's 92 magazines are known for reliability outside of those stupid phosphated ones that were used in the sandbox a few years ago. Mine have been abused, kept loaded at 30 rounds for months, and have been run very hard; they are still kicking.

Overall, the 92A1 is a great, uber-reliable suppressor host that can carry a ton of rounds and doesn't need any aftermarket parts other than sights. It's definitely my go-to and what I consider to be the best pistol out there for a home defense suppressor host.

Pilot1
04-09-14, 05:14
I have a HK USP Tactical .45 for this purpose. I haven't bought a can yet, but intend to do so. It is already set up for a suppressor with threaded barrel, and taller sights. The gun is designed to accept a can with no modifications, and that is why I bought it.

Tequila45
04-09-14, 11:44

No accuracy issues with mine. Runs, feeds everything just fine. Only question I have is do they offer a longer barrel for the 9L? The 9L already has a 5in barrel. To suppress it you would need a longer threaded barrel.

9111B
04-09-14, 22:01
Brand new threaded barrel PPQ Navy versions are out there, you can also buy a threaded barrel from Jarvis. Plenty of sights are now available, the problem is there are none of them are suppressor height. But other than that, compared to a Glock or M&P I'm not sure why you would need a whole lot of aftermarket support. It's not like it needs an APEX trigger or extended slide lock lever, the factory versions are great.

Fpnunes
04-10-14, 18:07
Well taking note that you want to get something non-glock it sounds like an HK USPSD is your answer. 9mm, accurate, thread barrel with non-threaded available and major fun factor. Staying with glock a G17 and lonewolf barrel gives you all you need. Personally, I went the USPSD route and will never look back. Totally sweet rig to shoot. HKs and suppressors are a perfect match.

teutonicpolymer
04-11-14, 14:35
Well taking note that you want to get something non-glock it sounds like an HK USPSD is your answer. 9mm, accurate, thread barrel with non-threaded available and major fun factor. Staying with glock a G17 and lonewolf barrel gives you all you need. Personally, I went the USPSD route and will never look back. Totally sweet rig to shoot. HKs and suppressors are a perfect match.
You know, the USP SD is yet another HK I almost want to get... The lack of match trigger and the fact that it doesn't Have the o-ring barrel (don't understand why this was left out because it can't cost that much to do) push me away