PDA

View Full Version : HELP! .22LR Recommendations

Sparky5019
04-07-14, 12:50
I'm in a pickle...

I have 2 daughters that are TINY, they have small hands. I need thoughts on a .22 SA pistol with a small grip that I can get the trigger pretty light on as they don't have a lot of hand/finger strength.

I've been looking at the Walther P22, S&W M&P 22; thoughts on these would be especially helpful!

Thanks as always!

Sparky

akfrozen
04-07-14, 14:08
The Ruger Bearcat might work. Plus its a sigle action with a nice trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Sparky5019
04-07-14, 14:29
The Ruger Bearcat might work. Plus its a sigle action with a nice trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Looking for a semi-auto; I have Colts for SAA .22 revolvers.

Inuvik
04-07-14, 15:00
I have a 6 year old who really likes to shoot. I have a single action Ruger .22 revolver, but it is not ideal for him. He has a much easier time with semi-autos because he does not need to reset his stance and hand possition after every shot. Once you get him in possition with the gun, he does really well, and can just focus on sight picture and trigger rather than working the hammer. You are definately on the right track with a semi-auto IMO.

Sparky5019
04-07-14, 15:41
I have a 6 year old who really likes to shoot. I have a single action Ruger .22 revolver, but it is not ideal for him. He has a much easier time with semi-autos because he does not need to reset his stance and hand possition after every shot. Once you get him in possition with the gun, he does really well, and can just focus on sight picture and trigger rather than working the hammer. You are definately on the right track with a semi-auto IMO.

Agreed. This is mostly about grip size and trigger pull. What do you have for your son?

Inuvik
04-07-14, 16:50
I have a Ruger Bisley .22, which is basically a Bear Cat with a different trigger, hammer, and grip.

So far, we have done quite a bit of shooting with my friend's Ruger MkIII with a heavy target barrel, which he does really well with. I plan to take him down to the local fun shop and try some different options out once my budget recovers from some of my recent purchases. :cool:

Redbeardsong
04-07-14, 18:20
The Ruger SR22 should work well. Small gun that can be cocked for SA.

Failure2Stop
04-07-14, 18:58
I think that the Ruger 22/45 Lite might fit the bill. Since size and weight are your primary concerns, I think that getting out to the fun store and trying them out in person is the only real way to find out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

agr1279
04-07-14, 19:06
I think that the Ruger 22/45 Lite might fit the bill. Since size and weight are your primary concerns, I think that getting out to the fun store and trying them out in person is the only real way to find out.

I am also looking to purchase that one. It is really light and handles nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RD62
04-07-14, 20:10
I recently built a dedicated .22lr Glock by purchasing a complete Glock 17 frame and a Tac-sol kit. Using CCI Blazer and Remington Golden Bullets its been 100% reliable, accurate, and my 9 year old daughter loves to shoot it.

I like that it uses all the same holsters, mag carriers, and manual of arms as my larger 9mm Glocks so when its time for her to move up to center fire everything is the same.

My boys will be learning on this one when their time comes too.

walkin' trails
04-07-14, 20:35
The Walther P22 might fit the bill as the grip is small and it will fire SA. I have only handled them, not shot them. My dad has two and thinks theyre great. I started my boys on a Beretta Model 21 Bobcat and worked them up to a S&W 34.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
04-07-14, 20:41
I am also looking to purchase that one. It is really light and handles nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are great suppressor hosts (the element 2 looks and feels like it was made for it), and a hoot with a good MRDS (I'm using a Deltapoint).
There are some simple things that can be done at home to make them really nice. They aren't a S&W 41, but nothing is unless you are willing to shell out that kind of cake.

Biggy
04-07-14, 23:19
I have had quite a few .22 pistols through the years, in all different sizes. I have had good luck with Browning Buckmarks and with the two I currently have. While the Rugers will never be as easy to take down as most others, once you learn how, its no big deal. Both my Ruger and my M&P .22 are reliable, accurate and IMHO hard to beat at their price point. I am really liking the M&P 22. Probably because Walther makes it.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/0e1ade92-54f2-40ec-94af-98712c18920d_zps5133b9b1.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/Biggy8/media/0e1ade92-54f2-40ec-94af-98712c18920d_zps5133b9b1.jpg.html)

Pilot1
04-08-14, 06:28
^^^^^^^^I have read that the M&P 22 is based on the Walther P22 which does not have a very good reputation for reliability. It seems the M&P 22 is better in that regards. Can you comment on its reliability, and accuracy? Thanks.

Redbeardsong
04-08-14, 06:49
I've shot the M&P22 a few times suppressed and unsuppressed and was really pleased with it. Had no failures that I encountered in my limited time with it. AAC uses one for their range days at distributor shows, in which their guns are run all day long by the attendees, FWIW.

K31Scout
04-08-14, 09:27
Mine has been very reliable with CCI Standard which I have a case of. I had FTF's and the slide not locking back on other Walmart bought boxes of Federal and Winchester copper plated ammo. Remington Thunder Bolt was the worst. I use mine for plinking tin cans and small gongs at 7 through 25 yards and it's accurate on those targets. I did put a Dawson fiber optic sight on the front. This pistol will be too big for tiny hands; there are smaller pistols for that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/Nocked/Firearms/MampP22resized_zps7c57583a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Nocked/media/Firearms/MampP22resized_zps7c57583a.jpg.html)

Sparky5019
04-08-14, 10:57
We're going to finger some again after school today...I saw a Browning "commander" 1911-22 that was like 60% size that might work well as well.

Jack,
I thought about that 22-45; from your experience, is the trigger reach the same as the MK I?

Failure2Stop
04-08-14, 12:16
We're going to finger some again after school today...I saw a Browning "commander" 1911-22 that was like 60% size that might work well as well.

Jack,
I thought about that 22-45; from your experience, is the trigger reach the same as the MK I?

Haven't shot a Mk I in a loooooooooooong time, so I can't comment with any accuracy.

Sparky5019
04-08-14, 13:22
Haven't shot a Mk I in a loooooooooooong time, so I can't comment with any accuracy.

Thanks. I'll let y'all know what we find out!

Sparky5019
04-08-14, 16:54
Just got back from fitting hands to grips...

She can reach the trigger on the S&W M&P-22, the Sig Mosquito and the Browning 1911-22 commander. She cannot release the sear on the Sig and the Smith BUT I can fix that in short order. My fear is that the Browning with become "outgrown" quickly and become useless.

What are y'all's thoughts on these 3?

okie john
04-08-14, 16:56
I have a Ruger Bisley .22, which is basically a Bear Cat with a different trigger, hammer, and grip.

I believe the Bisley Single Six is based on the standard Single Six, and that the Bear Cat is a much smaller piece. I've owned both. The 22 Bisley is beg enough that I could shoot it pretty well, but the Bear Cat was just too darned small.

Okie John

Inuvik
04-09-14, 13:11
I am sure you are correct. I am a little bit rusty on the Ruger .22 nomenclature. I really like the Bisley, and originally intended to purchase a .44 to match it, but never got around to it. Nice gun, but single action revolvers are not ideal for little kids just learning to shoot as previously stated.

Sparky5019
04-16-14, 09:35
Ok,

I picked up the Browning 1911-22 compact for the girls; hand fit is great and it's built exactly like a 1911 only 85% size so doing some trigger work will be no problem. No mutant pistol here.

I also picked up the Sig Mosquito mostly because I thought it was neat and my oldest should be able to use it some. The trigger is pretty bad! After taking a look inside, that will be an engineering project; I'll let y'all know how that works out!

So far the 1911-22 eats whatever it's fed. The Sig is a bit pickier but that should be ok; it's not near as picky as a Glick conversion I had.

Thanks for the help! I'll put some more info up after Saturday's range trip!

Sikiguya
05-03-14, 23:26
If it is grip size, then the Sr22 or the P228 13 would be good choices. If you are concerned with control manipulation, then I would suggest the 422 or the 622.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

HES
05-05-14, 01:24
Having kids at the low end of the height charts I feel your pain. I will say that my M&P 22 eats everything that I feed it. The grip may be a bit big, but they will grow into them.