PDA

View Full Version : What is the market for an older S&W snubbie?

Bruce in WV
04-08-14, 10:33
I'm looking for info on the marketplace for an older S&W snubbie.

I'm trying to sell or trade an excess Model 36 no-dash to fund new projects, but not finding any takers. I may be asking too much at $350, but don't have much to go by since there are so few of these older guns on the market in my area. Gunbroker and EE at other sites don't help much, either.

Its a solid rebuild and refinish of an older flat latch gun in the popular 38spl. Great bore, tight lockup, etc., all good to go.

If you were to see it in a local gun shop, what would you expect to pay to take it home?

Thanks

walkin' trails
04-10-14, 07:24
Is a square or round butt? A friend who is looking for a 36 square butt says they're hard to find. Generally, refinishing doesn't really enhance the value of an older gun that is starting to perk collectors' interests.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Hizzie
04-10-14, 07:58
Refinishing destroys collector value. 2" or 3"? Pics would help.

JHC
04-10-14, 09:02
I think that's a reasonable price in my area (GA) but it still requires finding someone who appreciates a steel j frame vs the various lightweights as well as appreciating the classic 36 with the hammer. I prefer steel j frames and I prefer hammers for how I use a j frame. But you know, all the current "TTP" is to carry a shrouded version of an airweight to lighter in the pocket etc.

Bruce in WV
04-10-14, 12:41
This is a round butt- a 'shooter' grade gun - had no collector value. Spur was broken so it was removed (but SA notch unmolested), worn hand replaced, new Wolff spring set, parkerized because of poor finish condition, no internal corrosion or pitting in bore or charge holes. Solid gun without defects or big flaws, but no glamour girl. I've carried its twin as BUG in a pocket holster (with CTC LG-105 grips) for years with speed strips in the other pocket.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d85/2005bruce/SampW36_L_x3sm_zpsf33b6fbe.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/2005bruce/media/SampW36_L_x3sm_zpsf33b6fbe.jpg.html)

walkin' trails
04-10-14, 20:17
Nice working gun. It does have character. Try listing it on Arms List with the photos.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

David Thomas
04-10-14, 23:14
Few people want a steel snubby these days. The market is somewhat flooded with no lock 442s and 642s that are selling for $400-500 brand new. The refinish and condition and the market are all working against you. I bought a like new 36 for $250 not that long ago from a member here that had the gun for sale a long time before I came along. Once again, that gun was like new, original and beautiful.

My advice, either keep it or give it to someone less fortunate who may need it. Or if you need to sell it, get ready to lower you price considerably.

JHC
04-11-14, 08:08
Few people want a steel snubby these days. The market is somewhat flooded with no lock 442s and 642s that are selling for $400-500 brand new. The refinish and condition and the market are all working against you. I bought a like new 36 for $250 not that long ago from a member here that had the gun for sale a long time before I came along. Once again, that gun was like new, original and beautiful.

My advice, either keep it or give it to someone less fortunate who may need it. Or if you need to sell it, get ready to lower you price considerably.

Dave is right. I have to reconsider my earlier comment about the price, I pictured a gun near original condition. Best bet is to hang onto it. It will come in handy some day to have such a solid snubbie without a huge amount invested in it.

Bruce in WV
04-11-14, 10:07
Thanks for the advice.
It'll go into storage again until I have a need for it.

SlimMan
04-14-14, 14:41
I really appreciate the old SWs. I too think 350 is high for the M36 you described, but you should be able to do better than 250 for the gun IMO. You might check out the Smith & Wesson forum to get a better feel for the overall market.