PDA

View Full Version : Should it stay, or should it go? Colt AR-15 Gov't Carbine

Know1
04-08-14, 16:29
First of all, I'm not trying to sell this, just asking for opinions. I don't want to be in violation of forum rules.

I picked this up a while back. It's a police trade-in that originally came with an A2 rifle stock and of course the standard hand grip (I still have both). I added the carbine RE and stock, new hand grip and a QD sling attach point to the upper hand guard. It has the restricted markings on the right side of the lower. It's cool and everything, but I already have a DD LW mid length that I really like and I'd like to get another similar gun as a backup. Unfortunately, I can't/won't afford/justify keeping it and adding another AR. I really like the Colt A2 retro look, but I'd rather have a flat top and mid length gas system. I have several options two of which are:

1. Sell the whole gun and replace it, or
2. Sell the upper assy and build one that suits my preferences better.

I really like the Colt lower, but it doesn't work with my DD Omega X rail. The DD upper fits on the Colt lower, but will not tip open because the bottom of the DD rail contacts the lower side of the Colt front pin tabs (hard to describe). So, I'm inclined to sell the whole gun as I value interoperability.

What are your thoughts? How much would the whole gun or just the upper worth. Is there any collector value in it? Would it be a shame to break up the upper and lower?

Thanks to all in advance for the help with this and all the other help I've gained from you over the years.

Mark

Lawnchair 04
04-08-14, 16:36
no way id sell that man, i would keep it in the back of my gun locker for a rainy day.

bulldawg64
04-08-14, 16:41
Agree with above. Keep it.

kennym
04-08-14, 16:43
I really like this Colt. That being said, it sounds like you are not too fond of it and it will collect dust. Sell it to someone who wants to run it hard and use the funds to buy ammo and a 3 day class by a SME.

decodeddiesel
04-08-14, 16:47
I would either keep it, or sell it whole. Plenty of good lowers out there, and it would be worth more to keep it all Colt.

Kain
04-08-14, 16:51
Good looking rifle, I must say that.

With that said, if the lower is milspec and not one of Colt's large pin oddball lowers I would likely consider keeping it since you don't need to worry about odd parts if something were to break. If you have all the original parts then I don't see you ever loosing money on it as Colt collectors are always out there. If you do decide that you'd rather have another rifle then sell the Colt as a whole since it will make it worth more and as a complete factory gun would have more value.

As far as keeping or selling it, that it really your choice. If it were mine I would have a hard time selling it, and would just buy another lower and build another rifle from parts, but then you are not me.

LewP
04-08-14, 18:25
If you're not a collector there is probably no reason to hang on to it unless it's an insanely good shooter. People seem to be paying top dollar for a ride on the nostalgia train these days. I'd try to put it back to as close to original as makes sense economically, sell it for a good price, and get what you really want.

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-08-14, 18:28
Keep it or sell it whole IMO.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

thebarracuda
04-08-14, 19:37
Never sell a Colt! Unless you have twins. (as in rifles, not children) One day, you'll look in the mirror, and see a guy who sold his Colt rifle. And you will never like him again! Friends don't let friends sell perfectly good Colts and all that. If your house hasn't been foreclosed, keep it.

Phillygunguy
04-08-14, 19:49
I like the old schools Colts Id keep it and save for what you want later

MistWolf
04-08-14, 21:14
If I were limited to only two ARs, neither one would have fixed carry handle. In your shoes, I'd just get another upper and save money now by getting it with a MOE handguard. It can always be upgraded later and maybe you won't have to sell anything yet. Later, if you do get the DD handguard, does it really matter if it doesn't open all the way? Pop both pins and the upper will come right off and it's a back-up carbine

MSW
04-08-14, 21:22
God I feel old--I remember when the A2 was "new & improved....":D

Keep it, unless you're really in need of cash. If it were mine & I didn't like the upper, I'd sell it & get what I want.

Colt lower....not quite worth it's weight in gold, but....keep it.

MSW
04-08-14, 21:23
Sorry--double tap.

JoeStrummer
04-08-14, 21:30
I would say keep it or sell it whole.

It would be a nice starter rifle for your current/future significant other or great first carbine for your son/daughter.

SOW_0331
04-08-14, 22:01
I would say keep it or sell it whole.

It would be a nice starter rifle for your current/future significant other or great first carbine for your son/daughter.

The hilarity of someone with the username "JoeStrummer" replying to a thread titled "Should it stay or should it go" is hopefully not lost on anyone....

This indecision's bugging me....

JoeStrummer
04-08-14, 22:13
I was waiting for someone to catch that, well done good sir!

I wore a "Punk Rock Warlord" t-shirt with my kilt on St. Patty's Day, no one got that either, thought is was appropriate since he filled in with the Pogues after the Clash broke-up.

markm
04-09-14, 08:15
Donate it to some leftist rainbow organization.

BGREID
04-09-14, 09:13
I don't get emotionally attached to hardware, if it doesn't work for you sell it. Get what you want.

djegators
04-09-14, 09:45
You already answered your own question....you want something else, and you don't want to or can't afford three...so like is said above, sell it complete and get what you want/need.

I've been there before, I sold off my pre-ban ARs when I back into shooting, including a Colt, and made some profit off of them even I used the funds to build a more modern arsenal. Do I miss stuff I've sold in the past? Yeah, sometimes, but I also enjoy what I have now, and I get better use out of it.

Know1
04-10-14, 08:01
Thanks to all (except markm --ha ha) for your advice. Because it is a police trade in and has a bit of wear and scratches from use, I don't think it has a huge amount of collector value. Besides, like BGREID said, I don't want to get too attached to anything. I've found that a key to having peace of mind is to never own anything you're afraid to lose. Based on past experience, I'm always reluctant to sell a good gun, but in view of eternity, it's not that big a deal.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-10-14, 09:57
I think that's about as original as the KISS concept could be. I'd like to have one like it, but I've got other things slightly higher on my want list at the moment. I'd say keep it.

nova3930
04-10-14, 12:51
"Sell" and "rifle/pistol/gun/etc, etc" are words that don't belong together in sentences...

Txlur
04-11-14, 19:01
I would love to run a beat up carry handle gun. If I were you I'd keep it.. those are what, 5 3/4 lbs? Awesome.

RGoose
04-11-14, 19:13
Donate it to some leftist rainbow organization.Like me! :)

In all seriousness, I do get the sentimental value of some things, but it sounds like you don't have any with this rifle. It's a tool that doesn't fit your want/need. Sell the whole thing and get what you want instead. You will have no trouble at all selling this. The old school Colt set up is really cool but if you can't justify having three ARs, then the Colt has to go.

c3006
04-11-14, 19:37
I don't see how you can't justify haveing 3 ARs. My wife has 200 pairs of shoes and has no justification problems at all.

medicman29
04-11-14, 19:56
Keep it. has a classic look to it. Reminds me of the first colt carbine I ever saw in the late 70's. I thought it was the coolest thing ever back then, and I kind of lean that way now.

Ark1443
04-13-14, 08:11
Keep it. No way would I part with my Colt, it would probably be the last one to go - which means never!

JS-Maine
04-13-14, 08:50
I love Colt rifles, but they give me analysis paralysis. The name Colt, it's classic form and aesthetics brings out a real red-blooded reaction in me, but I have a pathological disdain for the statement "restricted, LE/Govt only". With all the new great rifles that are available now I'd sell it and get more versatile, functional piece of hardware more compatible with modern gear.

Korgs130
04-13-14, 10:35
Sell it whole and get what you want.

Wolfpack45
04-14-14, 15:40
Sell it whole, buy a new rifle.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
04-14-14, 17:27
If you aren't interested in it, then maybe you should get rid of it. While I normally don't care for Colt, this is an exception. Colt does make good firearms. You are really the only one that can validate keeping it or selling it. Either way, it would be a tough decision for me to make..

richiecotite
04-14-14, 20:37
Is it preban?

If it is, don't they sell for a decent amount of scratch?

If so, sell it whole to someone in a ban state.

TacMedic556
04-14-14, 22:42
No you should sell it. Get rid of it. With all the modern rails and optic choices available that thing is useless. I will PM you and be happy to take it off your hands should you decide to....

3 AE
04-15-14, 00:02
Well OP, It's basically a tie whether to sell or keep it. Why bother asking us what to do? You'll only be back to square one. Make your own decision and live with it.

Khackee
04-15-14, 06:24
So, I'm inclined to sell the whole gun as I value interoperability.

OP, I think your answer is contained in your statement.

Personally, I would regard it on the same investment level as I would a rare coin. Every year that goes by the value will almost always increase. If I were not in a bind for cash, it would go in the safe for a rainy day.