PDA

View Full Version : TN Senate votes for Open carry without permit

skydivr
04-08-14, 17:55
Gonna have to think about this a little...not sure how I feel about it...

http://www.wsmv.com/story/25194837/senate-votes-for-open-gun-carry-without-permit

Lawnchair 04
04-08-14, 18:05
i legally open carried in VA with no permit from time to time before i got my CCW. I dont see an issue with it. Then again a free man shouldnt have to ask permission to carry a firearm. NC doesnt require a permit to open carry either.

ColtSeavers
04-08-14, 18:24
I believe that Nevada also has open carry without a permit as well

Switch
04-08-14, 18:29
This is good news IMO. I'm with Lawnchair no free man should need permission to carry a firearm.

skydivr
04-08-14, 18:30
May I ask, since I've not lived in an open carry state, why would anyone get a CCW if they could open carry? Don't mean to ask a stupid question, just trying to understand...

Switch
04-08-14, 18:32
We don't have open carry in my state unless you have a CCW but to me it's nice to be able to conceal so no one knows what I have and also it's nice to go into a gun shop and buy what you want and not have to wait for it to go through the NICS.

I mean I don't like people giving me looks or feeling threatened because I have a firearm, especially the way they are portrayed this day and age.

loganp0916
04-08-14, 18:34
May I ask, since I've not lived in an open carry state, why would anyone get a CCW if they could open carry? Don't mean to ask a stupid question, just trying to understand...

I know in Ohio, if you open carry, then get in a car with the gun still on you, it's considered concealed carry. They have a funky definition about what a loaded firearm is also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-08-14, 18:37
To answer your question skydvr, Open carry in larger cities is personally very undesirable to me. It attracts way more attention than I would want and is asking for various confrontations. Out of city limits or in smaller towns is a little different.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Chipper78
04-08-14, 18:40
Open carry, while legal here in VA, is not always wise. I've seen more than one person hassled about it. I've seen them be asked to leave stores and catch all kinds of grief. I am getting my CCW very soon and will cary concealed just because it personally makes more sense to me. I've never felt compelled to open carry, but I have nothing against those who do. Concealed carry gives you all of the benefits of being armed and none of the hassle of people giving you a hard time. If I had to go into some of the rougher parts of Richmond I probably would open carry.

tb-av
04-08-14, 18:44

Because some people don't want everybody and his brother knowing you are carrying. When they say 'open'... they mean 'open'... It means 'in sight'.... Also in VA even if you are open carrying you -could,, technically-- find yourself in a situation where someone calls the LEOs on you or even the LEO restrain you and say you are insiting<sp> .. I forget the wording... basically someone contends the sight of your gun has escalated a situation.

Plus you don;t have to worry if for whatever reason you want to carry open for 95% of the time and every so often you want to stick your gun in your coat pocket.. It's $10 a year to do what you want. open or concealed.

turnburglar
04-08-14, 18:47
I live in an open carry state (Nevada) and did the dance to get my ccw not to long ago....

Why would someone ccw if open carry is free and legal? Because I prefer not to open carry. We can pretend all day long that "shall not be infringed" is right there in black and white, and that every single man woman and child in this nation would die protecting that right, but that's simply not the case. Outside of this forum the rest of the world doesn't feel the way we do. Infact many feel the opposite. So I would rather avoid the uncomfortable stares, shopkeeps requesting that you leave (which is perfectly in their right to do so), and Terry stops. With all the recent violence and mass shootings the 911 call from that middle aged woman that works HR isn't gonna be "there's a law abiding citizen expressing the 2nd" no. it's gonna come to the responding officer as "gunman at the mall". There's just simply no possible way I could wear my credentials and resume on my sleeve that would make everyone comfortable, so I choose to ccw.

This may be very different in smaller towns , but is pretty much the rule of thumb in suburbia and metropolitan areas.

skydivr
04-08-14, 18:50
Open carry would be undesirable as hell to me also, which is why I've had a CCW for 20+ years.

I liked the law like it stood and not sure the rush to change it.

tb-av
04-08-14, 19:44
I liked the law like it stood and not sure the rush to change it.

But what about 2A? The only reason you have the law now is because the 2A was infringed upon. All they are doing is righting a wrong.

Heavy Metal
04-08-14, 19:48

Because there are some times and places it is more prudent to CC and there are times and places it is more prudent to OC. Two different tools for the toolbox. One thing I have noticed about absolutists of both camps is they cannot see beyond their own personal situation and fail to comprehend that what works for them may not works for everybody.

I do NOT CC Large Frame Pistols when in the woods and while transiting rural areas. I see no need for CC in those situations, it is a hinderance.

SomeOtherGuy
04-08-14, 20:38
Many states have had legal open carry for a long time - some since statehood. Michigan has been legal open carry for as long as I know. It is not common nor fully accepted and there have been citizen/LE incidents over open carry, but it is legal. However, like someone mentioned for Ohio, it legally becomes concealed carry if you get in a vehicle, so it's not all that practical an option unless you also have a CPL (our CCW permit) or just want to open carry within walking distance of your home.

I like knowing that open carry is legal, and that if I do a poor job of concealment I'm still not breaking the law, but I only carry concealed for various practical reasons, like not wanting "OMG he's got a gun!!!" type incidents, and the possible tactical advantage of not having a mugger know in advance that I'm armed.

JoshNC
04-08-14, 21:26

I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying; ever.

Irish
04-08-14, 21:36
I believe that Nevada also has open carry without a permit as well

You are correct. It used to be a big deal here but LV Metro got a bit of training on the whole deal and now I think it's a non-issue. I rarely see people OC'ing here.

Iraqgunz
04-08-14, 22:32
There is a need for such legislation. Simply put in AZ (for example) you cannot open carry a firearm in a restaurant or bar. So you must have a CCW (even with constitutional carry).

In addition open carry of all firearms is legal (such as is the case in AZ) you can have a loaded long gun in your vehicle or person and there is no threat of being tasered and arrested by some over-zealous cop as recently happened it San Antonio, TX.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/01/we-are-going-to-take-that-gun-watch-dramatic-open-carry-arrest-with-an-ending-you-probably-wont-see-coming/

It also prevent someone from getting killed as happened in CA with the teenager who was carrying an airsoft gun (and the only law being allegedly broken was open carry).

I do not open carry as a rule thumb. But, if I am hiking, camping or traveling and I have my long gun I do not have to worry about some officer doing something that may cost me my life.

Mauser KAR98K
04-09-14, 03:37
There is a need for such legislation. Simply put in AZ (for example) you cannot open carry a firearm in a restaurant or bar. So you must have a CCW (even with constitutional carry).

In addition open carry of all firearms is legal (such as is the case in AZ) you can have a loaded long gun in your vehicle or person and there is no threat of being tasered and arrested by some over-zealous cop as recently happened it San Antonio, TX.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/01/we-are-going-to-take-that-gun-watch-dramatic-open-carry-arrest-with-an-ending-you-probably-wont-see-coming/

It also prevent someone from getting killed as happened in CA with the teenager who was carrying an airsoft gun (and the only law being allegedly broken was open carry).

I do not open carry as a rule thumb. But, if I am hiking, camping or traveling and I have my long gun I do not have to worry about some officer doing something that may cost me my life.

This. Though I have a CCW (TN equivalent but with an open carry option) when I go on hikes, even in the state protected swamps near my house, I take my long gun with me. This open carry law can help folks like me greatly in rural areas.

However, it will also bring out the over zealous and idiots as well, and here in TN we are in no short supply. Hopefully if that is the case, the novelty wears off.

Oh horrors, I just thought of Leonard Embody all of a sudden.

Straight Shooter
04-09-14, 06:51
A lot of folks don't/wont know who Leonard is....but he is a ****stick of the nth degree. If interested, you can google this idiots name I guess something would pop up.
BTW...is he still active? As a Tennessean, Im happy about the legislation. They also recently updated the TN Knife laws to end the 4" legal limit, and allow automatics to be carried legally. Before, you could own them, not carry them. Last I heard that bill was sitting on the Govs desk to be signed. Anyone have an update with that?

J-Dub
04-09-14, 07:17
I live in a state with open carry. I have witnessed an older gentleman walking in to a starbucks with (and im not making this shit up) 1. XD pistol in a drop leg holster 2. A second XD pistol in a serpa attached to a molle vest 3. approximately 6 mags for said XD's 4. a few AR mags on the vest.

Now for all the Tapco ninjas, he's probably a god. BUT my question for him, and every other "open carrier" is......weapon retention? Now concerning the genius I've cited, weapon retention would be almost impossible if one or more people decided to disarm him and kill him with his own weapon. For other less-retarded "open carriers" I would HOPE that they A. Use a holster with at least one retention aid B. Train in weapon retention just in case someone attempts to disarm them. However, I highly doubt either of those two options cross the mind of would be "open carriers". They seem more occupied with documenting their "encounters" and such.

Im sorry, but its getting old....I know every tom, dick, and harry wants desperately to be Paul Revere, orT. Jefferson, ect, but its getting to be like the zombie shit. We get it.

Crow Hunter
04-09-14, 07:41
I am all for open carry here in TN.

I am not, however, all for open moron carry which is something I am afraid will happen if this becomes the norm.

When jackasses do it for the novelty and to "impress" (scare) people, it reflects very badly on the rest of us who are doing it for defensive purposes.

Kind of like the people who abuse the First Amendment to protest at funerals or wear vulgar offensive slogans on shirts or have public meetings to incite racial tensions.

While I want it, I don't want the mouth breathing window lickers to ruin the image for everyone else.

Campbell
04-09-14, 07:43
I see no need for the law either way...I am against open carry in this day and age...it's stupid. I'm against the state/govt telling me as an individual{non-criminal element}how and when I can protect myself. I follow my gut and accept the consequences.:)

skydivr
04-09-14, 08:57

I am not, however, all for open moron carry which is something I am afraid will happen if this becomes the norm.

When jackasses do it for the novelty and to "impress" (scare) people, it reflects very badly on the rest of us who are doing it for defensive purposes.

Kind of like the people who abuse the First Amendment to protest at funerals or wear vulgar offensive slogans on shirts or have public meetings to incite racial tensions.

While I want it, I don't want the mouth breathing window lickers to ruin the image for everyone else.

^THIS is my major concern.

tb-av
04-09-14, 09:24

I honestly don't think you will have that problem. VA has had OC forever... in fact... when I heard about a guy TX being arrested because his CC became partially exposed when he got out of his car, I thought it was a joke. I honestly could not believe that any sane person would make a law in a State,, much less TX, where you can carry concealed but if the handgun is ever exposed you will be arrested.... That sounds like some law invented in the Salem witch hunts.

I live in a City/Suburb are of VA and I almost never see anyone open carry. I can recall maybe three people in 30 years aside from gun show or OC demonstration, and I am pretty sure 2 of those were some sort of LEO. The one other guy was actually in a gun shop sporting dual 45s in a shoulder holster like the guy mentioned above.

It must be regional as to the mentality of the whole thing because to me it's a bizarre concept to not have OC while having a CC license. The right to OC is not a right to menace and create unsafe situations. We had a guy here a couple years ago. He was detained for OC. This was in the City. Urban area. VCDL jumped right in. Explained the law to the LEOs. He got to go on about his business. It was on the news and basically everyone got an education and VCDL got some good free advertising and public service.

The re-acquisition of your birth rights will far outweigh any random acts of stupidity from either side of the fence. Remember you need to be thinking about how to secure the future of two generations ahead of you which means it may be a bit rough for you so it will be smooth for them.

Eurodriver
04-09-14, 09:26
I like to wear dress pants, a dress shirt, and a bow tie. It's my daily attire.

I'd love to put my G17 in a quality holster and open carry but unfortunately, at least one person will think Bill Nye has finally lost it and call 911.

Not worth it.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-09-14, 09:28
I am all for open carry being legal. I don't plan on doing it but it's a right that should be there.

The 2nd amendment didn't say "the right to bear arms as long as you keep them hidden and super secret as to not scare the sheeple"

Irish
04-09-14, 09:34
However, it will also bring out the over zealous and idiots as well, and here in TN we are in no short supply. Hopefully if that is the case, the novelty wears off.

If the police were more familiar with gun laws and used a modicum of decorum when they interact with people, who are exercising their constitutional rights, this would be a non-issue, and the novelty would wear off in about 3 minutes.

J-Dub
04-09-14, 09:39
If the police were more familiar with gun laws and used a modicum of decorum when they interact with people, who are exercising their constitutional rights, this would be a non-issue, and the novelty would wear off in about 3 minutes.

It happens probably several dozen times a day (if not 100's of times). Its just sensationalist journalism and the idiots that blow things out of proportion. Yes idiots will call the Police, they have to respond to a call for service (because god knows if they don't people will be bitching about that too), and I would venture to guess 98% of the time nothing happens. The other 2% is what is posted on youtube, or what makes it on glenn beck or infowars....why?????? Well because controversy sells.

Irish
04-09-14, 09:48
It happens probably several dozen times a day (if not 100's of times). Its just sensationalist journalism and the idiots that blow things out of proportion. Yes idiots will call the Police, they have to respond to a call for service (because god knows if they don't people will be bitching about that too), and I would venture to guess 98% of the time nothing happens. The other 2% is what is posted on youtube, or what makes it on glenn beck or infowars....why?????? Well because controversy sells.
Is there a way to see how often there's an OC call go out? I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying but I am curious.

No argument on me from the sensationalism. When you get some tactical Serpa wingnut and some guy with a badge who doesn't agree with his personal decision to open-carry you get conflict. However, if the cop were smart enough not to take the bait then there wouldn't be an issue and Youtube land would be boring.

J-Dub
04-09-14, 09:49
Is there a way to see how often there's an OC call go out? I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying but I am curious.

No argument on me from the sensationalism. When you get some tactical Serpa wingnut and some guy with a badge who doesn't agree with his personal decision to open-carry you get conflict. However, if the cop were smart enough not to take the bait then there wouldn't be an issue and Youtube land would be boring.

There are idiots in all walks of life.

Irish
04-09-14, 09:51
There are idiots in all walks of life.

Obviously. But those other idiots don't have the badge and authority to arrest and put you in jail, whether it's deserved or not.

skydivr
04-09-14, 09:53
The re-acquisition of your birth rights will far outweigh any random acts of stupidity from either side of the fence. Remember you need to be thinking about how to secure the future of two generations ahead of you which means it may be a bit rough for you so it will be smooth for them.

While I am not certain that there won't be a large amount of dumbass shortly displayed, the above, in and of itself, is the reason why even with some reservation I would support it's passing. Dumbass is dumbass and that can't be fixed. Another benefit is the OC dumbass is gonna get shot first, but the bad guy's not gonna see me coming....

J-Dub
04-09-14, 09:57
Obviously. But those other idiots don't have the badge and authority to arrest and put you in jail, whether it's deserved or not.

And theres nothing keeping those idiots with "the badge and authority" from being fired and prosecuted. Trust me, I've seen it happen to coworkers when they F up. I know, I know, its only mystic lore that Police Officers can lose their jobs and be prosecuted for their actions (both criminally and civilly). But it does happen.

Back On topic, I applaud the volunteer state. Theres no better way to turn the masses against firearms than to trot out the open carry advocates.....pure genius.

Crow Hunter
04-09-14, 10:11
I honestly don't think you will have that problem. VA has had OC forever... in fact... when I heard about a guy TX being arrested because his CC became partially exposed when he got out of his car, I thought it was a joke. I honestly could not believe that any sane person would make a law in a State,, much less TX, where you can carry concealed but if the handgun is ever exposed you will be arrested.... That sounds like some law invented in the Salem witch hunts.

I live in a City/Suburb are of VA and I almost never see anyone open carry. I can recall maybe three people in 30 years aside from gun show or OC demonstration, and I am pretty sure 2 of those were some sort of LEO. The one other guy was actually in a gun shop sporting dual 45s in a shoulder holster like the guy mentioned above.

It must be regional as to the mentality of the whole thing because to me it's a bizarre concept to not have OC while having a CC license. The right to OC is not a right to menace and create unsafe situations. We had a guy here a couple years ago. He was detained for OC. This was in the City. Urban area. VCDL jumped right in. Explained the law to the LEOs. He got to go on about his business. It was on the news and basically everyone got an education and VCDL got some good free advertising and public service.

I don't think that I will see this in my neck of the woods. I often see people OC even though it is technically not legal.

I have actually done it a couple of times. I had to go back into a local Dairy Queen because the girl at the drive through had given me back a $10 bill in change for a $10 bill when I went through the drive through to get a milkshake after being out hunting. One time at a Cigar and Brewfest I was there representing a local Gun shop a friend owns and I open carried my G19 to discourage any drunks from trying to snatch a gun off the table. No one hassled me at all. The police actually came by the counter and got T-shirts and a coupon for ammo. Of course I was also wearing it in a very unobtrusive Bladetech Stingray both time.

I figure though that some dork will go down to Franklin to Cool Springs or Memphis to Wolfchase or some other large metropolitan public place and "scare the horses" and then business owners will knee jerk to putting up signs everywhere.

Don't get me wrong. I think that it will be a boon to society, I just wish there was a way to limit the ass-hattery that will no doubt ensue as soon as it becomes public.

I know what will happen. The media will find out about it, do a story about it on the evening news and the next day every Cleetus with a High Point, a gunshow fabric holster, a Tap Out t-shirt and an inferiority complex will go to public places attempting to be a "tactical operator" and they will become the face of legal civilian carry of weapons.

Crap, now I sound like the Brady Campaign....:mad:

Mauser KAR98K
04-09-14, 11:56
I don't think that I will see this in my neck of the woods. I often see people OC even though it is technically not legal.

I have actually done it a couple of times. I had to go back into a local Dairy Queen because the girl at the drive through had given me back a $10 bill in change for a $10 bill when I went through the drive through to get a milkshake after being out hunting. One time at a Cigar and Brewfest I was there representing a local Gun shop a friend owns and I open carried my G19 to discourage any drunks from trying to snatch a gun off the table. No one hassled me at all. The police actually came by the counter and got T-shirts and a coupon for ammo. Of course I was also wearing it in a very unobtrusive Bladetech Stingray both time.

I figure though that some dork will go down to Franklin to Cool Springs or Memphis to Wolfchase or some other large metropolitan public place and "scare the horses" and then business owners will knee jerk to putting up signs everywhere.

Don't get me wrong. I think that it will be a boon to society, I just wish there was a way to limit the ass-hattery that will no doubt ensue as soon as it becomes public.

I know what will happen. The media will find out about it, do a story about it on the evening news and the next day every Cleetus with a High Point, a gunshow fabric holster, a Tap Out t-shirt and an inferiority complex will go to public places attempting to be a "tactical operator" and they will become the face of legal civilian carry of weapons.

Crap, now I sound like the Brady Campaign....:mad:

No, 'cause I fear the same thing. Let us hope the novelty does end in 3 minutes. I think the big "problems" will come from the large urban areas. I live near, and went to school, Cookeville, a good size college town, and every once in a while I would open carry in the town, or would take off my over garment when at an eatery. No big problems, but I generally was in and out of where ever fast, or I was seated that only my mag carrier is seen. (Truth be told, I still carry myself like I was still in LE). But, it wasn't in a drop leg, and I wasn't wearing outrageous attire, or look like a James Yeager wannabe.

I'm like you tb-av, I live in a state that has an open carry option for the permit and I am shocked when I hear things out of TX or other "free states" of people getting busted for even printing. Here in TN you can do both, which gives us wiggle room if we happen to bend over, down, or the wind flips up the shirt.

I have seen about 5 people here in TN open carry (count 7 if you include me and my neighbor). One was at the vets office where the guy was carrying an FN FiveSeven. This was after Aurora. No big deal. Had it in a serpa and what caught my eye was that is was a FiveSeven. (Guy told me his spare mag had AP ammo).

Strange was last week when an older guy in a MARPAT shirt was walking through the Lowe's parking lot with a serpa holster, and nothing in it.

I myself open carry about 20% of the time, and it is generally around my area. At times when I am working around the house/ranch, and I need to grab something down the road, I won't even conceal, I will just go and grab. No fluff or gawkers. I even run a leg rig, not to be tacticool (though it does turn some heads from the locals) but because it is comfortable when out on the mower, hunting, or working in the shop. I don't wear it to town, unless I know I am going through drive through.

Just be smart. Wish they could be posted to the rest of the state when this goes through.

Tzed250
04-09-14, 12:29
OC is legal here in WV. It is a somewhat common sight to see someone carrying in this area. Guns are a large part of the culture here (look up the WVU mascot). LE is also in the know. Many of the participants in the local matches are active duty LE and the new president of our local club is a state trooper. The instructor for my CC class is a lieutenant in the county Sherriffs office. Having said all that, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Good for Tennessee. The Second Amendment was put there for a reason.

TAZ
04-09-14, 12:52
I dont have a problem with OC, would never choose I do so for the obvious reasons, but having legal OC on the books does offer a benefit to CC. If your gun was ever exposed by accident (wind, stick shirt, or other goofy events) you won't be breaking any laws. Lots of CC laws require concealment and the protections they offer for accidental flashing are ambiguous.

As for morons and such, they are already out there and carrying. Only difference is now we will see them coming.

Heavy Metal
04-09-14, 13:03
OC is legal here in WV. It is a somewhat common sight to see someone carrying in this area. Guns are a large part of the culture here (look up the WVU mascot). LE is also in the know. Many of the participants in the local matches are active duty LE and the new president of our local club is a state trooper. The instructor for my CC class is a lieutenant in the county Sherriffs office. Having said all that, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Good for Tennessee. The Second Amendment was put there for a reason.

OC in the woods just got easier in WV. The WVCDL (of which I am a member) just got some contentious DNR languages cleaned-up.

Iraqgunz
04-09-14, 16:29
Maybe you should look at the case in San Antonio first, before making statements. The situation was well under control until the "old sarge" showed up. At issue was the city ordinance which bans the open carry of firearms. Of course, no one seems to have attended school or else they would know that when the Texas legislature passed their preemption law, it made that ordinance null and void.

But, we won't let facts like that get in the way of this.

Iraqgunz
04-09-14, 16:30
Or shoot a teenager carrying an airsoft rifle in CA. Which as far as I know was the only "alleged" crime since California banned OC of all firearms.

Irish
04-09-14, 18:22
Or shoot a teenager carrying an airsoft rifle in CA. Which as far as I know was the only "alleged" crime since California banned OC of all firearms.
No argument from me. These threads often focus on negative interactions between police and people exercising their constitutional rights. I believe the peace officers in these videos are outstanding examples and take a potentially negative encounter and turn it into something positive.

http://youtu.be/q1G1IscWi58

Irish
04-09-14, 18:22
Numero 2.

http://youtu.be/vdJ8pjKmIQU

Iraqgunz
04-10-14, 02:07
I have seen both of these and I agree that they are great examples. Unfortunately even in so-called "gun friendly" states that isn't always the case. Here in AZ police often don't even beat an eyelash when the question of firearms comes up.

I don't volunteer such information and I generally avoid open carry so I don't have to deal with the one guy who didn't get the memo.

Eurodriver
04-10-14, 07:47
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/263x468xOpen-carry-Walmart-courtesy-she-who-must-not-be-named.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GbciJ-g3ea.jpg

Airhasz
04-10-14, 08:02
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/263x468xOpen-carry-Walmart-courtesy-she-who-must-not-be-named.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GbciJ-g3ea.jpg

Watch it! You'll get hustled again...:sarcastic:

Whiskey_Bravo
04-10-14, 08:44
Couple of great videos, I had not seen them before.

J-Dub
04-10-14, 08:48

Im pretty bummed for the "open carriers". They got all rigged up and didn't get the "encounter" they were hoping for....maybe next time.

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/5931210-Guys-with-guns-Police-contacts-with-open-carry-advocates/

"a certain number of open carry advocates seem to be actively trying to engage a confrontation with law enforcement so they can post video of their encounter to the Internet."

"I’m confounded by the fact that the most extreme open carry individuals — those who intentionally try to create videotaped confrontations with cops — have seemingly adopted tactics which historically speaking have been the domain of left-leaning political activists."

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/3502436-8-tips-on-contacts-with-open-carry-citizens/

Irish
04-10-14, 12:30
The difference in these, and some of the other contacts I've seen, is nothing short of jaw dropping. These officers have made stronger community ties with citizens who will undoubtedly come to the support of their respective departments and individual officers. They did a great service to their department, and the areas they police, they helped strengthen the bond between citizens and police. On the other hand you have the guys who want to prone people out, call out SWAT, and shoot them for exercising their legal, constitutional rights.

Im pretty bummed for the "open carriers". They got all rigged up and didn't get the "encounter" they were hoping for....maybe next time.

From their smiles, easy banter and laughter I think they got exactly the encounter they'd hoped for. The assumption that someone who films their interaction with the police is somehow looking to bait the officer is a common aspersion, that often times isn't backed up by facts.

In reality, if more police officers were to treat individuals legally carrying firearms with respect and dignity, then there'd be nothing for people to get up in arms about. However, there are myriad examples of Officer Authoritarian wanting to have a dick measuring contest with someone, when he's in the wrong.

Most of the people I've seen in these types of videos are well versed in the laws regarding firearms. Often times, to the detriment of the officer, their knowledge on the subject matter is far greater than theirs and the person videos the encounter for their protection against prosecution, if they are indeed arrested.

J-Dub
04-10-14, 12:39
You're totally absolutely correct on all accounts regarding everything.

skydivr
04-10-14, 13:52
I don't for a second like baiting police officers just as much as I don't like officers overreaching their powers.

I think what we are seeing here is pushback and the unintended consequences for the liberal gun-grabbers and the administration that is backing them. So be it.