PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM

platoonDaddy
04-09-14, 19:08
Rcvd my bill for $187.50 for SiriusXM service in my vehicle (only in my vehicle).

I said to myself, no friggin way. Called 866.518.3925 and said that I only listen to four stations. Someone from India then gave me a new quote (of course only one year, but hey it is worth it) for $99 and change.

Dang, certainly worth the call!

Spurholder
04-09-14, 19:12
Good deal - we used up our fair share of the $79 deals a few years ago.

I bought an internet radio for the wife and she now listens to The Coffee Shop in the kitchen (win-win, right?). She tolerates my listening to Classic Vinyl and Bluesville.

Kain
04-09-14, 19:18
My old man did the same thing when he bought his new truck Came with a few months free then they call up and want to charge you. Forget the normal year, and he said other than this channel, this channel, and this channel i don't use it. Offered him a good deal and he kept it. Me i use an Ipod when I am in the car, listen to what I want when I want, and with something like 4k worth of songs I am generally happy.

Belmont31R
04-09-14, 19:24
Don't see how people are paying for this. Unless you live out in the real sticks with no radio and a dumb phone what does sat radio do? I get iTunes Radio for free, have about 8 podcasts I listen to, and around 10gb of music on my phone. Car has Bluetooth and everything sounds great that way.

platoonDaddy
04-09-14, 20:57
Don't see how people are paying for this. Unless you live out in the real sticks with no radio and a dumb phone what does sat radio do? I get iTunes Radio for free, have about 8 podcasts I listen to, and around 10gb of music on my phone. Car has Bluetooth and everything sounds great that way.

Being retired, there is no friggin way I will EVER need a cell phone. Therefore, the SAT radio is my escape for the following channels: Elvis (of course), Patriot, FoxNews, 50's, 60's & 70's channel.

EDIT: should have read - I will EVER need or want a cell phone.

Belmont31R
04-09-14, 21:10
Being retired, there is no friggin way I will EVER need a cell phone. Therefore, the SAT radio is my escape for the following channels: Elvis (of course), Patriot, FoxNews, 50's, 60's & 70's channel.

Thanks but I disagree.

HES
04-09-14, 22:22
For all the driving I do and the lack of decent local programming for news, I gladly pay for my service.

Straight Shooter
04-09-14, 22:35
Dude....I JUST last week re-upped.....$25 FLAT for 6 months, period. You are getting shafted.

scoutfsu99
04-09-14, 23:19
I enjoy it. I paid a couple hundred bucks about six-ish years ago for a lifetime subscription. I'm able to listen in my car or detach the receiver and bring it into my house. While I was gone this past year, they seem to have revamped the stations for the better too. Howard Stern is always great. I don't always agree with him or like his parrot but he's an excellent interviewer with interesting guests.

I don't have unlimited streaming on my phones so throwing my cell in doesn't exactly work. My 05 Explorer and 07 Accord aren't set up up for bluetooth. Maybe in the future that will be an option.

kwelz
04-10-14, 00:13
Sat Radio is ridiculous. I refuse to pay their outlandish prices for only a couple good channels anymore. I just use Pandora.

Phillygunguy
04-10-14, 04:36
I have sirius XM I can't stand regular radio, most of the music is boring, or crap. Dance music, and regurgitated rock songs, can't stand it plus I like the Patriot channel and a few music stations

Sam
04-10-14, 06:24
I've bought two new cars in the last 4 years, both came with Sirius XM and complimentary 3 months service. When the end of the free service came near I called Sirius and told them I wanted to discontinue the service. A few months after the radios were inactive, I started receiving sale fliers and emails announcing 6 months service for $25 ! So I jumped in again. Now I've been playing this game, one for 6 months, off for a couple then back on again. It's a whole lot cheaper than the hundred something per year cost.

Try it.

montanadave
04-10-14, 07:25
I bought a new vehicle with sat radio in 2007. Got the trial membership then used a promo deal to get the first year for about $75 (IIRC). Then I started getting the annual renewal notices at increased rates. And every year we do the same dance. I call and say I'll renew at the same (old) rate, they say "no can do," I tell them to cancel my subscription, they transfer me, yadda, yadda, yadda, they renew for another year at the old rate.

FlyingHunter
04-10-14, 07:34
Since I keep my vehicles forever, I did the lifetime plan, pay once then forget about it. I've had Sirius for about 4 years now and enjoy the service. I can't remember what I paid 4 years ago - I think it was fairly steep, maybe $300. Doing the math: $300 divided by the last 4 years = $6.25/mo so far. And every year that number gets smaller, no bills to deal with etc...I'm glad I went that route.

_Stormin_
04-10-14, 07:42
I never find myself listening to the satellite radio in my car, so I haven't bothered to pay for it.

That said, the in car WiFi is freaking great, and I couldn't get rid of it. It's unlimited data, keeps the traffic and road conditions current on my navigation, and allows me to use my iTunes radio in the car without bumping up my already absurd cell data use.

markm
04-10-14, 08:54
I'd only pay for it if LAV had a channel where you could listen to home slice 24 hours per day!

Alex V
04-10-14, 10:29
got to have Howard lol. Sorry, Ill gladly pay to not have to listen to 8 min of music followed by 10 min of commercials.

markm
04-10-14, 10:37
I do miss Howard.

_Stormin_
04-10-14, 11:02
Sorry, Ill gladly pay to not have to listen to 8 min of music followed by 10 min of commercials.

Which is why I use iTunes radio... Zero Ads with iTunes Match

Alex V
04-10-14, 11:50
Which is why I use iTunes radio... Zero Ads with iTunes Match

No Howard tho... Need my girls on the sybian...

SOWT
04-10-14, 13:11
I cancelled Sirius when they merged with XM and cancelled the one channel I listened too.

I may renew for 6 months when football starts up.