PDA

View Full Version : Desiccants

Veracity
05-28-08, 20:50
Guys,

I bought a desiccant a few months back...thinking that it would be fine for my relatively small gun safe. I'm too lazy to go check the brand name now, but it's a coffee can sized container of tiny silicon gel balls. (I think they're silicon) The gel balls are blue when they're ready to go to work...and then they turn pink when they're saturated.

Anyway, I bought the biggest size 'cause it was advertised as being able to protect a 50 some odd square foot are for X amount of time.

This thing "fills up" in about two weeks or less. I run a dehumidifier in my basement 24/7...so I don't really get it.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Recommendations?

exitinyourhead
05-28-08, 21:34
without knowing the brand or the setup exactly my best guess would be because your storing them in your basement. If you can seperate the guns completely from the rest of the area of the basement. Waterproof safe? regular safe with a weatherproof seal added maybe? Even put them in a cloet (not connected to an outside wall) with a weatherproof door seal all the way around it.

Basements are unbelievably humid. You may be taking a ton of humidity out of the air with the de humidifier, but there is still a ton left. even though the guns are in a safe... if it's not a sealed one the humidity could just be pouring in there and filling up your efforts.

Could be just the brand of stuff your using, but I can't store anything metal in my basement no matter what i do it will rust. Everything rusts or gets moldy.

razors
05-29-08, 01:26
I also use this type of humidity control. I consider it relatively humid in my basement but the "balls" dont turn pink till about 3-4 months and thats not even all of em....just about 30%.

Veracity
05-29-08, 22:50
I also use this type of humidity control. I consider it relatively humid in my basement but the "balls" dont turn pink till about 3-4 months and thats not even all of em....just about 30%.

3-4 months?!
Yikes. My stuff was going pink after maybe three weeks tops.
Yeah, I've got to reevaluate my setup.

Thanks.