PDA

View Full Version : Newest AR-15/M4 Billet Upper w/ Unique Design

Vertex Ops
04-09-14, 20:31
Shepherd Firearms is one of the newest manufacturers to hit the market and their 7075 Billet Elite AR-15/M4 Upper Receiver has a whole new twist.

With intense machining on both sides and the Shepherd name machined into the face of the forward assist it's like no upper we have ever seen.

Available in 5 standard Cerakote finishes: Armor Black, Desert Sand (FDE/Tan), Sniper Grey, Mil-Spec Green (OD), and Prison Pink

Here are a couple photos, there are more in our Authorized Dealer forum and high-res photos are on our website.

What do you think?

USAF VET
04-09-14, 20:37
Not bad, but not for me. Would like to see it on a complete rifle though.

Sent using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
04-09-14, 20:41
Why?.

SomeOtherGuy
04-09-14, 20:43
1) How does "Prison Pink" compare to regular shades of pink?

2) Does the "Prison Pink" model come with a coordinating handbag and pumps?

Vertex Ops
04-09-14, 20:46
1) How does "Prison Pink" compare to regular shades of pink?

All I can say is think of the most pink you can imagine and multiply that by 10, and that's how it compares to regular old pink. It's pink and it's proud! If you have one at the range people will definitely be distracted by it.

lunchbox
04-09-14, 20:49
Interesting design, looks like someone had way too much fun with a ball nose endmill.

E-man930
04-09-14, 20:51
Do they plan on making any uppers with little Coach emblems engraved all over both sides? I want one to match my purse and wallet combo bag...

Bluto
04-09-14, 21:28
Does it inflict greater hit points on zombies?

rapomstage3
04-09-14, 21:32
I'm slightly dumber now. And I barfed.

ScatmanCrothers
04-09-14, 22:06
Should sell like hotcakes to those that already own Shepherd's $1200 titanium lower and $80 screw together mags.

Airhasz
04-09-14, 22:10
No Zombie Green...:confused:

Vertex Ops
04-09-14, 22:18
No Zombie Green...:confused:

LOL, not as a standard color, yet, we can get you one custom though! :cool:

E-man930
04-09-14, 22:28
I'm slightly dumber now. And I barfed.

HA! Unfortunately for me, I feel the same way.

ColtSeavers
04-09-14, 22:42
Nevermind.

Stickman
04-09-14, 22:46
As a one off piece, it is interesting, as a production piece, not so much.

Rockhopper
04-09-14, 22:48
this is redonkulous

donlapalma
04-09-14, 22:54
Not my cup of tea. Good luck.

HeliPilot
04-09-14, 23:10
I would go back to the drawing board if I were them, pass...

Iraqgunz
04-10-14, 01:24
Rather than urinate all over this, I'll just ask a few questions.

1. What does it do that a standard AR upper doesn't? Is this nothing more than a "look" factor?

2. What is the cost of this?

My guess is that it doesn't offer anything substantive as far as performance and it's nothing more than a billet upper with some perceived coolness.

Freedoooom
04-10-14, 01:42
Do these views crossover to cars, houses, or clothes?

Or is it just guns that just can't have a interesting design for no particular reason other than it just looks good?

Eurodriver
04-10-14, 06:12

Or is it just guns that just can't have a interesting design for no particular reason other than it just looks good?

Bad analogy.

Do you buy custom engraved hammers, screwdrivers with cerakoting, or personalized impact wrenches?

tgizzard
04-10-14, 06:26
Eh, no thanks. I'll stick with my "boring" equipment.

Aaron_B
04-10-14, 06:27
Not understanding the point of doing this...

scooter22
04-10-14, 07:21
What the f*cking f*ck?

Know1
04-10-14, 08:13
Vertex, M4Carbine is probably not your target market, unless you can show how your product provides more utilitarian value that what is currently offered (e.g. stronger, lighter, less expensive as opposed to looking cooler). There are "other" sites where the participants are more focused on asthetics. You will probably find a more welcoming audience there. I wish you the best of luck with your venture.

AMan
04-10-14, 08:18
Because you can doesn't mean you should. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

weggy
04-10-14, 09:34
How does this make it "better"? Pass.

SomeOtherGuy
04-10-14, 10:02
It looks like this upper has an asking price of $250 in black and $280 in other colors. For under $200 I can get a VLTOR MUR (in black) which is well proven in terms of machining quality and strength. That is probably the most direct comparison, and it looks to me like the Shepherd fails at the beginning. For $120 I can get a BCM mil-spec upper which is properly machined and realistically is plenty good enough for 99% of uses, basically anything other than high precision with very heavy barrels. For $250ish I can get a Seekins which is another fancy boutique brand with more recognition. For $350ish I can get a monolithic upper (upper + quadrail) from Aero Precision, and in the $400-500 range I have similar options from Mega and possibly other brands.

Even if I want this fancy look, I have to ask whether the machining pattern is going to scrape my hands up, wear through my clothing, sling and web gear, or suffer its own rapid wear from having high and low points.

_Stormin_
04-10-14, 11:13

This is the firearm equivalent of a big wing on a front wheel drive car. It's not for the sake of performance like it is on a Lexus LFA, or a Pagani Zonda S. It's there because the owner wants to look "cool." A firearm is a tool, not a fashion statement. This doesn't make the tool better. Some here, myself included, aren't fans of mall ninja stuff. IMO this firmly falls into that category.

REdruM0351
04-10-14, 12:52
Vertex, M4Carbine is probably not your target market, unless you can show how your product provides more utilitarian value that what is currently offered (e.g. stronger, lighter, less expensive as opposed to looking cooler). There are "other" sites where the participants are more focused on asthetics. You will probably find a more welcoming audience there. I wish you the best of luck with your venture.

I agree. I clicked on this page thinking maybe someone had come up with a better way to send rounds down range but instead all I got was fashion advice.

GH41
04-10-14, 17:43
I like the machine work and appreciate the thought that went into it. To me it is no different than engraving a bible verse on a receiver or coating a gun tan that will never see a desert. I don't understand why some here poo poo something they will never purchase. Live and let live! GH

Iraqgunz
04-10-14, 17:57
Did you miss the part where he asked for input?

I like the machine work and appreciate the thought that went into it. To me it is no different than engraving a bible verse on a receiver or coating a gun tan that will never see a desert. I don't understand why some here poo poo something they will never purchase. Live and let live! GH

C-grunt
04-10-14, 18:01

You might want to read the mission statement of this forum. This forum is about weapons used for war/LE/self defense. If you want a forum to discuss how pretty a rifle is this isn't the place and responses will be according.