PDA

View Full Version : "Good Stuff, Maynard"...

SteyrAUG
04-09-14, 23:59
If you recognize the line, you know the show...and it's finally out on DVD. Netflix does have it also.

The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series (http://www.amazon.com/Many-Loves-Dobie-Gillis-Complete/dp/B00C7A8WWO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1397105467&sr=1-1&keywords=dobie+gillis)

I wasn't even born when it debuted but I remember watching reruns regularly on Nick at Nite when it launched in 1985. A beatnick Gilligan and some interesting 50s/60s female cast members (including a recurring Yvonne Craig) were enough to make me tune in regularly.

And I finally figured out where my father got some of his lingo.

Mauser KAR98K
04-10-14, 00:53
My dad would say that on a regular basis. Now time to watch the show of its origins. Thanks for posting.

NWPilgrim
04-10-14, 00:58
Used to watch that and then surprised to see Maynard G Krebs (Sp?) stranded on an island. He did play bongos on Gilligan's Island at least a few times.

HES
04-10-14, 01:30
Yvonne Craig you say.... I may just have to check that out.

SteyrAUG
04-10-14, 02:19
Yvonne Craig you say.... I may just have to check that out.

Her and Julie Newmar really did have the whole sixties thing locked up.

uffdaphil
04-10-14, 08:27
I'm old enough to have watched the show originally. "Work!" became a buzzward for kids asked to do chores. One of the last episodes where the guys are drafted into the Army is a hoot. Maynard has an amazing metamorphosis.

HES
04-10-14, 09:48
Her and Julie Newmar really did have the whole sixties thing locked up.
And the spandex / lycra outfits didn't hurt either. Damnit now I want me some Batman. Put it on your credit card?

BIGUGLY
04-10-14, 09:52
Ahh that catch phrase with a slap on my shoulder from my dad is still a regular occurrence when I screw something up were working on.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-14, 17:12
Hah, I just got the email flyer from Amazon for this series.

SteyrAUG
04-17-14, 18:31
Ok, who got theirs and started watching yet?

Just got into this last night and talk about culture shock.

My GOD the gold digger mentality expressed was stunning, even if it's "for the good of the family". I know it was a sitcom and all but if I ever met a girl like Thalia Menninger I'd have left her standing there. And Milton Armitage (better known as Warren Beatty) was a joke.

But at least the show itself has some charm and was funny in a "slightly more sophisticated than Gilligan's Island" kind of way.

Moose-Knuckle
04-17-14, 19:52
Ok, who got theirs and started watching yet?

Not me, I opted for the deal on the complete series of the X-Files plus their two feature films.

Amazon has been having some good deals on TV Series lately. Wonder if they are cleaning out their DVD inventory.