PDA

View Full Version : CMMG Complete Lower - Your Thoughts

exd3686
05-28-08, 23:12
I have a LMT 16" upper and have been looking for a LMT complete lower. Seems as if they are out of stock everywhere. Was looking to add a Magpul CTR stock and MIAD grip. Since all LMT (and LMT Lauer for that matter) are out of stock, I was offered a CMMG lower with the Magpul stock and grip that I'm looking for only less money than the LMT. What are your thoughts on the CMMG lower?

Thanks for your input.

Bimmer
05-29-08, 05:28
My first AR is going to be a CMMG. You can search here and at ARF.com re: CMMG, but I think it's safe to say that their quality (especially lowers) is fine.

Ben

5POINT56
05-29-08, 08:57
You'll likely have, for better or worse, a DPMS LPK in your complete CMMG lower.

Paulinski
05-29-08, 09:06
I would pass on CMMG lower. You can get CMT/Stag lower or wait till LMT becomes available.

CMMG is hit or miss and their customer service is the same.

YMMV.

carbinero
05-29-08, 16:16
Get in touch with a quality vendor. He may assemble a lower for you, with a selection of stripped lowers, LPKs, stock, grips. You'll likely learn a lot about the components, save $$ over buying from the manufacturer, and find somebody who'll give you great CS and be a lifelong supplier.

gishooter
05-29-08, 18:36
I just bought 2 CMMG lowers and will be getting a Noveske soon. I have heard CMMG to be good, I have also heard Lowers are Lowers. Customer support of cmmg I no nothing about, I bought mine at the BX for $94 a piece stripped. CMT makes good parts kit (Noveske uses them). Put that in your lower, Instructions on ARF.com. (ar15.com) Good Luck

will0861
05-29-08, 20:31
My friends and I have built 6 or 7 lowers with CMMG's and they are consistently tighter fighting then the other lowers we have tried.

My friend bought a Noveske, and it was really sloppy. Rock River and Stag are pretty good. But the CMMG's have always been very tight. In fact they are the only lowers I use. I also like the finish better as well.

Also, just because it has a certain name on the receiver doesn't mean that it was actually made by them. There are only a few companies that actually forge the raw aluminum into a lower. After that you can stamp anything on there you want.

I know for a fact that Noveske uses two different sources for it's lowers.

Curare
05-29-08, 20:40
I know for a fact that Noveske uses two different sources for it's lowers.

Make that HAVE used.

Jeffy
05-29-08, 20:46
I started off with a CMMG stripped lower. It's pretty good. It's not as smooth as a CMT/Stag but that's just cosmetics. I have no opinion of their LPK since I sent with a RRA LPK. I use a Magpul CTR and a MIAD with no issues. My upper is a LMT 14.5" and it matches up fairly well, too.

gishooter
05-29-08, 21:52
Make that HAVE used.

I believe they get all their lowers from the LAR manufactuer. I believe Noveske stuff is gold, so if it has their name on the side it gets my money.

skyugo
05-29-08, 22:33
i have a cmmg upper that i'm quite happy with.
delivery speed and customer service was quite good as well.

will0861
05-29-08, 22:57
I believe they get all their lowers from the LAR manufactuer. I believe Noveske stuff is gold, so if it has their name on the side it gets my money.

Noveske stuff is usually pretty good, but every company can have problems. I've seen a Noveske lower that had such poor tolerances, it was ridiculous. Since it was a lower, it was a nightmare to have replaced. So just because it says Noveske doesn't guarantee quality. At least as far as lowers are concerned.

five13
05-29-08, 23:02
So just because it says Noveske doesn't guarantee quality. At least as far as lowers are concerned.

This is the first I have heard of this, I'm sure Noveske fixed the issue appropriately.
Second post here and throwing down Noveske.. Bad idea.. IMHO

will0861
05-29-08, 23:10
Bad idea? I can't have an opinion?

Anyway, I don't care what you shoot, any manufacturer can have issues, not just Noveske.

I don't know if you care, but you seem to have missed my point in regards to lowers. Noveske doesn't make their lowers. So, there really isn't an advantage to buying a Noveske lower, unless you want the logos to match.

So before you totally get this thread off topic, the bottom line is CMMG is a great lower, and the quality is the same if not better than most of the lowers on the market, even precious Noveske.