PDA

View Full Version : Saw this video today dated 3-14-14 M&P9 PRO, Brand New, First 34 rounds

RWH24
04-10-14, 23:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJg4hjqPlQs

Appears more of an ammo issue instead of a pistol malfunction.

I asked about updates to story, replied S&W has had the pistol for 3 weeks and no response yet.

Sam
04-11-14, 06:38
He did not say what type of ammo in the video, only that it was factory.

How did he arrived at the conclusion that this will cause a factory recall?

Guns blow up, whether it's a Smith, Glock, Colt, Les Baer, AR, I've seen them all. And all of this type of damage are always caused by faulty ammo. Factory ammo do sometime fail, and when you get a double charge or more, catastrophic failure is the result. Smith will say that it's the ammo's fault. Not blaming them, but this is what I've seen manufacturers do.

SteveS
04-11-14, 07:43
Stuff happens and the guy seems to be ,,,, effeminate about the whole matter.

ralph
04-11-14, 08:17

Guns blow up, whether it's a Smith, Glock, Colt, Les Baer, AR, I've seen them all. And all of this type of damage are always caused by faulty ammo. Factory ammo do sometime fail, and when you get a double charge or more, catastrophic failure is the result. Smith will say that it's the ammo's fault. Not blaming them, but this is what I've seen manufacturers do.

Years ago I had a CZ-85 combat blow up on me using factory ammo....(case head rupture) I wasn't hurt, but the pistol was beyond repairing.. To their credit the ammo manufacturer (Wolf) replaced the pistol.. I kept it for a few years, and later sold it, for some reason I just never felt comfortable shooting it after that... But the point is, that factory ammo can be defective, and in the last few years I think it happens more than we know.. It used to be that if someone had a gun blow up on them it was usually reloads..nowadays, not so much.......

Sam
04-11-14, 08:34
Homeboy need to also contact the ammo manufacturer. He seemed fixated on S&W though.

Glad he wasn't hurt badly.

ralph
04-11-14, 09:25
Homeboy need to also contact the ammo manufacturer. He seemed fixated on S&W though.

Glad he wasn't hurt badly.

I couldn't agree with you more...Contact the ammo manufacturer, as well as S&W.. Between the two, one of them screwed up, Although, I'd bet it was the ammo...Believe me, having a gun blow up in your hands is a experience you won't soon forget....

ETA: watching the vid a little more closely it looks to me like it was a case head rupture, In the vid he's saying part of the case head is gone,and that it's still in the chamber. Looking at the frame it's clear that the gas from the head rupturing went down the grip and blew out the mag, typical of a case head rupture.. Only two possible causes here, the pistol fired out of battery (unlikely) or weak or poorly manufactured cases, I'm betting it was the ammo....... Damage to the pistol is, in many ways similar to the damage my CZ had...

C4IGrant
04-11-14, 09:31
Ammo related. Funny how it is always the gun manufacturer that people contact and not the ammo company.

C4

RWH24
04-11-14, 10:55

This is the description below the video..

Published on Mar 14, 2014
One of the guys picked up The M&P Pro Series in 9mm From Smith & Wesson. It destroyed itself within 2 magazines due to a catastrophic failure.

Ammunition was purchased from (201401) Fitz Munition Works. Although we have used this batch of ammunition in several other 9mm firearms without issue (Glock 17, Glock 26, Beretta 92FS, Keltec PF9, H&K P7) we can not definitively state that this failure was due exclusively to the manufacturer of the ammunition. Smith & Wesson likewise cannot be definitively and exclusively held responsible for this incident.
I think it much more likely that ammunition on the edge of spec and tolerances on the edge of spec met; generating enough of a mistake to push the components past their limits. We have to remember people, these are both automated processes. Taking the human element out can limit some errors while exacerbating others. At this time we are in a dialog with both manufacturers and we will keep you appraised of the situation as it develops. Thank you everyone for the support.

Fitz Munition Works Statement about their manufacturing process:
http://shop.fitzmunitionworks.com/9mm...
"Fitz Munition Works provides only reloaded brass ammunition. Our brass purchasing and our brass cleaning processes allow us to produce reliable brass casings while still keeping costs at a manageable level.We use only top grade components when manufacturing our ammunition. Every round is calibrated and sized to exacting standards to help ensure that a quality product is produced..."

Tzintzuntzan
04-11-14, 12:18
Aren't these the same people who concluded a 92fs is better than a Glock 17 because you can shoot it underwater inside of an old tire and it doesn't malfunction as often as the Glock 17?

Sam
04-11-14, 12:27
This is the description below the video..

I didn't go to the full youtube site so I didn't see their disclaimer about the ammo. After reading it, I am still sticking by my first instinct.

KevinB
04-11-14, 17:30
It's been published all over the internet.

Ammo issue.

99% of the time when I gun has a kaboom - it is ammo related.

RWH24
04-11-14, 20:34
It's been published all over the internet.

Ammo issue.

99% of the time when I gun has a kaboom - it is ammo related.
I agree completely.

decodeddiesel
04-11-14, 21:20
Aren't these the same people who concluded a 92fs is better than a Glock 17 because you can shoot it underwater inside of an old tire and it doesn't malfunction as often as the Glock 17?

Also see the video where they explain why the G26 is a POS and the XD-S is the greatest pistol ever made. It's a hoot!

Gary1911A1
04-11-14, 23:09
Certainly disturbing. I'd likely have a flinch for awhile. Glad he was wearing shooting glasses and didn't get hurt to bad.

kest_01
04-12-14, 00:01
Glad he wasn't hurt badly but to blame the gun maker exclusively without knowing for sure what the actual issue is seems premature. In my 13 years in the army I've seen 3 M4s go kabloom haven't blamed Colt once, and each of those ended up being an ammo issue.

Tzintzuntzan
04-12-14, 00:16
Also see the video where they explain why the G26 is a POS and the XD-S is the greatest pistol ever made. It's a hoot!

I'd say I've unsubscribed from their channel, but I never made the mistake of subscribing in the first place.

decodeddiesel
04-12-14, 00:51
I'd say I've unsubscribed from their channel, but I never made the mistake of subscribing in the first place.

Meh, it's good for a laugh. I'm just waiting for the Texas Grebner style accident given how in each and every one of their videos I see a heinous 4 rule violation. I just hope one of those dipshits has the decency to upload it.