PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions re: HK45 compact

Budman
05-29-08, 06:37
First - I have a HK45C - the grip on it is rather slippery, is there anything I can do for a more secure grip without making the grip bigger. (I don't care for the Hogue Hand-all)? Second - does anyone know if the bobbed hammer for the HK USP 45C will fit the HK45C?

MAP
05-29-08, 07:04
You can have the grip stippled. http://http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/index.html will do a great job. If you are brave you can take a shot at doing it yourself.

As to the hammer, I would call H&K.

Good luck,

Mike

tombirdman
05-30-08, 18:11
First - I have a HK45C - the grip on it is rather slippery, is there anything I can do for a more secure grip without making the grip bigger. (I don't care for the Hogue Hand-all)? Second - does anyone know if the bobbed hammer for the HK USP 45C will fit the HK45C?

:confused:

I know that there is a grip out there that has a sandpaper surface and sticky to hold on to the grip. It works well and can be gotten off if you want although it sticks well. I don't know the name of the company but maybe someone else could help with that otherwise go to Brownells or Midway and it might be there.

Sidewinder6
06-01-08, 12:18
:confused:

I know that there is a grip out there that has a sandpaper surface and sticky to hold on to the grip. It works well and can be gotten off if you want although it sticks well. I don't know the name of the company but maybe someone else could help with that otherwise go to Brownells or Midway and it might be there.

Not hard at all.
Find a Home Depot or Lowes and go to the department that has anti slip materials in the hardware department. 3M makes tape in rolls that is the same material as skateboard tape. It is made to put along steps and stairs so you dont slip. I have a roll of 2" and it lasts a long time.

To find places on your grip that you want to have a positive grip and also reference points for your support thumb and trigger finger when it is off the trigger, I use a regular pencil and paper and scratch the paper over the surface of the gun to create the beginning of a template. Once you have done that, just create an outline using your pencil and then take your scissors to cut out a template.

Then cut off a small section of the tape from the roll and lay this template on the tape to retrace the outline on the backing. Remember you are using the back of the tape so becarefull that when cutting the tape, you dont end up with the pattern reversed and the grit on the inside instead of outside.

Clean the surface of your gun to be certain there is not a light coat of oil of protectant before applying the tape. Once you do, use your fingers to press the tape and make sure there are no edges or wrinkles. I have had grip tape on 2 guns that are shot alot and the stuff has lasted a couple years now.

If you need to remove or replace the tape, use a hairdrier or hot blower to heat and allow you to remove the tape. Then clean the surface with gum off or some other solvent to get all the old glue off.

This will remove any slip in your hands. Only down side you will need to manage is this material can be hard on clothes if your into high fashion.

Good Luck.

tombirdman
06-01-08, 13:26
Not hard at all.
Find a Home Depot or Lowes and go to the department that has anti slip materials in the hardware department. 3M makes tape in rolls that is the same material as skateboard tape. It is made to put along steps and stairs so you dont slip. I have a roll of 2" and it lasts a long time.

To find places on your grip that you want to have a positive grip and also reference points for your support thumb and trigger finger when it is off the trigger, I use a regular pencil and paper and scratch the paper over the surface of the gun to create the beginning of a template. Once you have done that, just create an outline using your pencil and then take your scissors to cut out a template.

Then cut off a small section of the tape from the roll and lay this template on the tape to retrace the outline on the backing. Remember you are using the back of the tape so becarefull that when cutting the tape, you dont end up with the pattern reversed and the grit on the inside instead of outside.

Clean the surface of your gun to be certain there is not a light coat of oil of protectant before applying the tape. Once you do, use your fingers to press the tape and make sure there are no edges or wrinkles. I have had grip tape on 2 guns that are shot alot and the stuff has lasted a couple years now.

If you need to remove or replace the tape, use a hairdrier or hot blower to heat and allow you to remove the tape. Then clean the surface with gum off or some other solvent to get all the old glue off.

This will remove any slip in your hands. Only down side you will need to manage is this material can be hard on clothes if your into high fashion.

Good Luck.

:D Great Suggestion !!!:cool:

Budman
06-01-08, 21:36
Great suggestions - Thanks for your time.

Sidewinder6
06-02-08, 11:00
Happy to help. I have been eyeballing this gun for a couple weeks now so your observations were similar to mine regarding the feel of the grip. Ive been waiting to see the full sized model to decide which of these will end up in my inventory. I have been agnozing whether the match trigger and longer sight picture (not to mention the number of rounds) makes the larger gun more desirable. I carry concealed so comfort is also in my list of things to consider.
I see the compact, has adjustable grip sizes but did not have a chance to examine the various sizes at the shop I visited. I figured Id wait and look around a bit more since the asking price was also a bit high. Let us know how you shoot like the gun once you have warmed it up a couple of times.

Budman
06-02-08, 19:29
Went Sunday and shot 100 rounds through the HK45C - was very nice. No malfunctions at all, all shots where I aimed (out to 20 yards), quick to get back on target but the grip feel (texture) could have been more aggressive. I have the Decalgrips (sand texture) on my USP 45C and would like the same feel on this one. I'm going to Loew's or Home Depot and find some 3M sand strips and try to fashion my own. Overall, the gun shot great, felt better than the USP in balance and recoil, and as I said earlier, recovery was very good. Happy I bought it.

Budman
06-02-08, 19:36
CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE POST: I shot from 10 feet to 30 feet - NOT 20 yards. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Sidewinder6
06-04-08, 20:52
Well, I made a deal today to put a full sized pistol under the counter until Friday afternoon. After holding it, I had to get it. Film at 11.

HK45
06-09-08, 10:06
You will love the full size. i was never much of an HK guy until buying one, now two of these. Awesome pistol.