PDA

View Full Version : My Glock Journey: There and Back Again

ptmccain
04-13-14, 08:04
http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/FMJ1911/GlockG34Gen4WEB_zps3a2c0463.jpg

I wrote this for THE TRUTH ABOUT GUNS (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/daniel-zimmerman/glock-journey-back/), and after taking my new Glock 34 out yesterday for its first outing, I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. For whatever reason, the trigger feels really good on this G34. It was made just last month, the casing in the little envelope is dated 3/20/14. The trigger reset point is superb and heck, I even shot it well with stock sights. I just love the G34, the long sight radius is superb for me. I had laser surgery and so my dominant eye is also my distance eye and that sight radius get it out in front of me just far enough that I can really focus on that front post. I put Arredondo mag extensions on it with Wolff power springs and it performed absolutely flawlessly with no dreaded "brass in the face" issues either and it was dead on accurate, as accurate as I could be with it, it just made me VERY happy to be "back home again" with Glock.

My GLOCK Journey: There and Back Again

A number of years ago when I got into shooting in a major way, I was eager to run out and get my first handgun. I had spent a good bit of time shooting long guns earlier, but never a handgun. Without much thought, I bought a used GLOCK 22. I loaded up the G22 and blazed away at a torso-sized target at about 20 feet. I think I may have even hit it a few times. Maybe . . .

Since then I’ve moved from handgun models to handgun models: SIG, HK, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Remington, FN, probably others, and I’ve purchased and used striker-fired and DA/SA semi-autos. I’ve given them all a decent workout at the gun club and at the range and training center I frequent. Revolvers too.

So here is my true confession: I’ve been there with GLOCKs, left and now I’m back again. I’ve come full circle back to where I started. Why?

First, for me, the GLOCK just works. I have owned and used a G26, G17, G21, G22, G30, G34, and a G20. I’ve been there and done that with all of them — Gen 3s and Gen 4s — and I’ve had no issues with any of them. Did I just “luck out” or could it be since there are a bazillion GLOCKs out there, the incidents reported on gun forums are unrepresentative? Who knows? All I know is that they have always worked for me.

Second, the trigger. Yes, you read that right, the trigger. I spent so much time learning how to shoot GLOCKs relatively effectively that I grew used to that mushy bangswitch and learned to master the reset point. I have dropped trigger upgrades into a few of my GLOCKs. I like them and they’re nice, but I’m not sure they did me much good.

I thought I would prefer the DA/SA trigger system, hammer systems, etc. They’re good, but ultimately not that big a deal either for me. I realized I really hate the DA-then-SA function of the HKs and SIGs. Frankly, when I want to enjoy a truly great trigger, I pull out my 1911 with its custom trigger set at 2.5 pounds.

Third, I like the feel of the GLOCK. I know that for many the GLOCK is a “brick,” a “plastic monstrosity” and a “piece of junk.” Blah, blah and…more blah. For me, with my monster-sized hands, the GLOCK feels very comfortable. The grip is just fine and I really like the Gen 4 beavertail options that now are standard on GLOCKs.

Fourth, there’s the simplicity of the GLOCK. Chiefly I’ve come to realize that I dislike external safeties. Hate ‘em. I like the “instant-on” of the GLOCK manual of arms. Round chambered…holstered…unholster…fire. No safety to mess with or remember to disengage, nothing to interfere with the function of the handgun. Same trigger pull regardless of first or last shot. Just grab it and pull the trigger. I know this has been one of the chief criticisms of the GLOCK — too easy to have a negligent discharge. Yes, one must be super-aware of the basic laws of safety with a GLOCK as there’s no heavy trigger pull on the first shot as on most DA/SAs.

Fifth, there’s the return on investment. A GLOCK is significantly less expensive than the (ridiculously overpriced) HKs, and nearly anything else. I’d rather spend my “extra” money on accessories and ammo and…you name it. Sure, it’s cool to use the higher priced handguns. I’ve had a HK MK23, a HK USP 9mm Expert, a HK45 and a FNX 45 and 9mm, etc. But was I achieving better results with any of them to justify, for me, the extra $500 bucks required by a HK, or the several hundred more for an FN? Nope.

Sixth, the reality check: Handguns are just fun to shoot. They are. Remember what “fun” is? Sure you do. The oh-so-serious crowd scoffs at the thought, but come on, you know it’s fun to shoot all kinds of handguns. At the end of the day, though, a handgun is still a tool. If you’re able to get rounds into the center mass area of a target consistently at 21 feet, that’s good enough. Sure, you may not be able to take your handgun out to the gun club and punch small groups in paper from 25 yards with your GLOCK (though some of you probably do), but I can get off double taps all day long in various drills with plenty of accuracy with mine.

So after my wandering, I find that I’ve returned to the GLOCK as my go-to handgun platform. The G26 is and has been my primary EDC for quite some time. The G34 is my main training handgun — I love the long sight radius on that thing. They say confession is good for the soul, so there you have it: my GLOCK true confession, there and back again.

samuse
04-13-14, 09:21
Good for you. I prolly put 100K rounds downrange with a Glock over a period of ten years and haven't touched one in over two. Hope I never do again.

Andrewsky
04-13-14, 11:37
Good for you. I prolly put 100K rounds downrange with a Glock over a period of ten years and haven't touched one in over two. Hope I never do again.

Why did it take so long for you to come to dislike them?

I feel the same way about Glocks. Although I really like how easy it is to disassemble and service them, I am not a fan of how they feel in the hand.

Scrubber3
04-13-14, 12:03
Well written..similar to the same journey I went on.

samuse
04-13-14, 13:49
Why did it take so long for you to come to dislike them?

I feel the same way about Glocks. Although I really like how easy it is to disassemble and service them, I am not a fan of how they feel in the hand.

All the positive qualities of a Glock are still positive even if I didn't like the gun.

They're cheap, they work, they shoot well, they like cheap 9mm ammo.

That was fine when I was attending training nd shooting lots of SSP and Production. But now that I've slowed down, I prefer to shoot CDP and Single Stack on occasion, and I shoot to maintain proficiency.

whick1
04-14-14, 06:43
My experience has been similar as well. I was issued a Glock on my 1st job after getting out of the .mil I had shot lots of handguns growing up but mainly 1911s, revolvers and 22s and of course the Beretta M9/92 in the army.
The Glock was the 1st striker fired system i had used. I never has any issues out of my 1st Glock which was a Gen 2 17. THe dept I was with at the time switched to Ruger 95s because they got a great deal on them. I hated that thing. It shot every time but was so unaccurate and a pain to carry. After lots of complaining we went to second handed Sig 226s. They were OK but I found I could shoot Glocks much better plus I hate the DA/SA trigger.
After moving to another dept that was issued at the time 3rd Gen S&W. WHile I really liked this gun I did not like the decocker and DA/SA trigger.
I moved from that dept after about a year and went to a dept issued at time newly released Springfield XD. I hated these I hated the way it felt in my hand plus recoil seemed to be worse in these maybe because of the high bore axis. This dept allowed us to purchase our own sidearms so my dad gave me his new SW M&P 9. They had not been out long either but as most of you know the early 9mm M&P were terribly inaccurate. Finally our dept decided to go with the 40 SW round and needed to purchase new handguns. After much persuasion from other deputies and myself we purchased Gen 3 Glock 22s. Although our sheriff still packs a replica Colt SAA in 45 Colt We were lucky and got some of the last ones made with non mim extractors They have all been flawless now for hundreds of thousands of rounds. My backup is a Glock 27 which is OK but do not like the recoil. The only non Glock handgun I have is a newly acquired SW Shield 9mm which so far I love and have started packing it as a 3rd gun on duty and off duty.
My journey did not include as many handguns as the OP mainly no HK or FN but I have come to the same conclusion a GLock is tough to beat especially for the $$$>

Phillygunguy
04-14-14, 19:24
Thought you swore off Glock and went to the PPQ

hatidua
04-14-14, 19:28
I could have saved a whole lot of money if I'd simply stuck with the first G19 I bought 20 years ago. But no, I had to go chasing the latest/greatest for two decades before I realized that the grass isn't necessarily greener over the fence :(

Magsz
04-14-14, 20:18
Thought you swore off Glock and went to the PPQ

Gotta write articles on something!

As Samuse said, the plus's that come with a Glock are pretty much absolutes. Having said that, the pistols simply dont work for everyone. They can be worked WITH, but the bottom line is, we are blessed with choice.

ptmccain
04-18-14, 14:05
PPQ is a great pistol, but .. as per the reasons stipulated in the article, I'm back with Glock.

jck397
04-18-14, 15:35
As much as I WANT to find a better solution than Glock, I keep coming back like the battered trailer wife that I am...no one does a "family" of pistols better. I like that can build up or down between the 17, 19, and 26 depend on how deep I need to conceal, and mix and match my spare mag to suit as well. Throw in a 20 for being out in the wilderness, a 42 in the pocket, unlimited holster/sight options, and the ability to detail strip the weapons with a handcuff key, and it gets really hard to justify any other platform. I can think of many examples of single pistols that do a better job in their specific role than a Glock, but when you're fielding a "fleet" of situation-specific weapons as many of us do, Glock really shines.

Phillygunguy
04-19-14, 05:31
PPQ is a great pistol, but .. as per the reasons stipulated in the article, I'm back with Glock.

I hear ya, in the PPQ, I'm a glock guy myself, and wouldn't even consider another pistol if I wasn't getting btf. Good article though.

Psalms144.1
04-21-14, 11:15
As much as I WANT to find a better solution than Glock, I keep coming back like the battered trailer wife that I am...no one does a "family" of pistols better. Brother, you couldn't have typed my feelings any better if you were sitting in my chair. I LOVE my P2000 - for pure accuracy it beats my G19 hands down. I LUST a CZ P07 - everything I hear about them makes me want one. BUT, neither line offers a .45 ACP worth the scratch - the HK is too expensive and too big for the capacity, the CZ is a boat anchor with limited capacity. So, for me, it's the G19 for summer, the G21 for winter - and I just learn to live with having to use a Glock specific grip and trigger press. If I'm not flitting back and forth between platforms, "dis iss no prohblehm" as my Russian friends like to say...

Regards,

Kevin

Drifting Fate
04-21-14, 23:48
At the risk of weakening the power of M4Carbine.com, I appreciate the literary allusion in the OP.

l8apex
04-22-14, 23:45
Similar experience for me when I chased the 'unicorn' and ended back where I started. G19/17. Still enjoy all of what's out there, however when the chips are down G19/17 and Shield for me.

C4IGrant
04-23-14, 08:12
Gotta write articles on something!

As Samuse said, the plus's that come with a Glock are pretty much absolutes. Having said that, the pistols simply dont work for everyone. They can be worked WITH, but the bottom line is, we are blessed with choice.

True.

C4

ptmccain
04-23-14, 18:19
At the risk of weakening the power of M4Carbine.com, I appreciate the literary allusion in the OP.

Thanks....I had a bit of fun with it.

matt7184
04-23-14, 21:03
Thank you for your well written article. I completely agree.