PDA

View Full Version : Midlength uppers - BCM and Sabre Defence

RyanS
09-13-06, 16:53
What's the difference between the two? I'm pretty certain that I want to get midlength upper again. I had an RRA, didn't like how heavy it was. I've been patiently waiting for BCM and would prefer to get the upper from them as I've heard outstanding comments about them and their products. However, I'm an inpatient person and saw that Sabre Defence is selling some midlengths as well.

So, with this in mind, I'm wondering if any anyone has input as to the quality of the Sabre uppers. Thanks.

rob_s
09-13-06, 17:13
If I didn't have a Colt I'd go with the BCM midlength. I think I read a post the other day though that they don't anticipate having any more complete uppers until 2007.

RyanS
09-13-06, 17:59
I think I read a post the other day though that they don't anticipate having any more complete uppers until 2007.

That's why I ask. :( Should I just wait? Would I be losing out on something if I just went ahead and got a Sabre upper?

UVvis
09-13-06, 18:25
The Sabre ones look to be 1/9 twist and I don't know if they are proof load and MP tested.

I have a BCM middy upper that I had a 6 month wait on. It was worth it.

Another option, and I'm not sure how their barrel quality is, but CMMG has some gov't profile mid length barrels in stock.

RyanS
09-14-06, 12:33
How are the CMMG uppers? I see that they have a 14.5" middy that looks pretty interesting.

DamnYank!
09-15-06, 00:54
i purchased a CMMG gov profiled midlength barrel. the look / finish / feel of the barrel was very nice.

the barrel was mated with a LMT upper. initially i had some failure to feed issues. the bullets were catching on the area of the M4 ramps. CMMG was contacted and said they would gladly take it back to look over and repair/replace as needed.

before doing so a friend of mine who assembled the rifle (experienced guy) did just a BIT of cleanup and polishing on the ramps and i've run into NO issues since. other than this hiccup, i am very pleased with the barrel considering its price and features.

Cyclic240B
09-15-06, 16:40
I have a Sabre Middy. The barrel is "government contour", chrome lined, magnetic particle inspected, 1/7 twist, has "F" marked front sight, and has M4 ramps. As for proof load tested, don't know?

Barrel markings...

http://theconnzzzz.net/photos3/7-9-2006_115.jpg

Complete weapon...

http://theconnzzzz.net/photos3/middy_8-10-2006_0011.jpg

graffex
09-15-06, 17:39
From what I recall Sabre uppers where supposed to be top quality. Maybe some others here can chime in.

Hawkeye
09-16-06, 08:25
Cant go wrong with a BCM.

That said, I have a 1/7 Sabre and absolutely LOVE it.