PDA

View Full Version : How to get the most out of the EOTech...

Yojimbo
05-29-08, 14:21
It appears there have been quite a few QC issues popping up with EOTech, especially with the newer sights like the 553 and 557.

I don't know what the deal is but the issues seem to have increased after they were bought out by L3. It also seems like their once awesome customer support have gone down hill as well.

Someone once made the analogy that the EOTech was like a 1911 and the Aimpoint was like a Glock. I thought that was a pretty accurate description of the two sights. I have been using the EOTech since the Rev D versions and I’m aware of the issues they have had so I wanted to share some things that I have done that have allowed me to get the most out of my EOTech sights.

I have several Rev F 552s and one of them I have put over 11k trouble free rounds through. This same high round count 552 has also survived a tour of Iraq with my brother and while it was beat to hell it worked 100% without any issues.

Here are a few bits of advice on the EOTech.

1. Do not buy the N cell version. They are more susceptible to failures at high and low temperatures and since no Lithium batteries are available for them the battery life sucks and are susceptible to draining even when powered off.

2. The most reliable EOTechs to date are the AA models which are 552/512. I will not put the 557 on this list because they haven’t been out long enough and they are currently having reticle issues with some of the newer batches. So purchase either a 512 or a 552.

3. IMHO, using alkaline batteries, especially cheap ones, are one of the things that cause a lot of the issues with EOTechs. If you have the option, skip alkaline batteries all together and use only high quality Lithium batteries such as the Energizer E2.

The Lithium batteries are also 1/3 lighter than the alkaline batteries and I believe this small weight reduction helps to mitigate the issue where the recoil will actually cause the batteries to lose touch with the power contacts thus making the sight shut off during firing. I say this because it has never happened to me when using Lithium batteries while I have experienced this issue when using alkaline batteries.

Please note using Lithium batteries will not activate the low battery warning but I believe the advantages the Lithiums give you outweigh the loss of this feature.

4. Always have a spare set of Lithium batteries! If you are using the EOTech for duty then at the very least change the Lithium batteries out monthly. This advice proved very useful in Iraq and helped to keep it functioning 100%.

5. Turn on your EOTech with “Brightness Up” button and when on patrol check and adjust the brightness at least once every 8 hours. This will reset the auto-shutoff feature.

6. Always have a properly zeroed BUIS!

7. Understand the environment you will be fighting in. If you will not have adequate battery supplies available then you may need to use an Aimpoint, if that option is available.

Here are some tips on using the EOTech.

1. Turn down the brightness! Many new users have the reticle turned up too bright for lighting environment that they are in. Having the brightness at the right setting will make the reticle appear clearer and sharper.

2. Keep both eyes open and focus on the target not the reticle! This goes for any 1x red dot sight. One of the biggest advantages of the red dot sights is that they are usable while focusing on the threat.

3. Always mount your sight consistently to the same rail address. Push it forward and tighten the thumbscrew hand tight plus and extra ½ to ¾ of a turn. Also, even though EOTech does not recommend it, use blue Loc-Tite 242. The blue Loc-Tite will keep your thumb screw from loosening and will still be easily removable. Nothing sucks more than having your sight fall off during a firefight.

4. Use the 65 MOA ring for close quarter shooting on the move and use the 1 MOA dot when longer range precise shots are needed. Yes, the 65 MOA looks pixilated but just think of it as a ghost ring and put it on your target and press the trigger. When shooting at close range know and understand your offset!

5. If for whatever reason your EOTech will not come on after changing the batteries you should first verify that it’s not in NV mode. If not then you will need to let the capacitor discharge before it will power up again. To do this leave the batteries out for about 15-30 minutes and then it should power up properly after putting the batteries back in. This issue is generally caused when the EOTech looses power without being shut off properly so always turn off your sight before pulling off the battery compartment!

Nothing manmade is perfect and if you understand their pros, cons and issues you can make the EOTech work very well for you.

With that all that said my next red dot optic will be an Aimpoint T1. This isn’t because the EOTech sucks, I still prefer the EOTech reticle to the single dot, but rather because there are some other features I like such as the extreme compactness, light weight and ridiculous battery life of the T1 Micro.

I have also been following several threads discussing EOTech issues and I have been less than impressed with the current level of EOTech’s customer support. Whether or not I buy another EOTech will really depend on how they handle these issues.

***I don’t claim to be a HSLD type nor am I a professional trainer. I’m just another regular guy who likes to shoot a lot, though not as much as I’d like to these days due to price of ammo:( . I just hope the things I mentioned above might help other EOTech users get the most out of their sights.

Soulrack223
05-29-08, 14:30
Great write up! I have an oldish Rev F 552 that's been 100% with thousands of rounds down range. I've never understood some of the Eotech bashing, but now you've shedded some light on it. I just got a good one. I really love the 65 MOA ring for close work, it's "minute of man's chest" as I've been told.

tinman44
05-29-08, 18:59
Someone once made the analogy that the EOTech was like a 1911 and the Aimpoint was like a Glock. I thought that was a pretty accurate description of the two sights.

thanks for the write up. i kinda saw this opinion as backwards but thats just my opinion.

Victor
05-30-08, 19:18
"How to get the most out of the EOTech...."

Answer: Trade it in for a Aimpopint! :)

You're on the right track with the Micro T1. IMHO, the best sight for primary OR back up roles hands down. Hope this helps!

Vic

Submariner
05-31-08, 07:29
I traded them for a 1000 gal. tank filled with propane.

And started buying Aimpoints.:D

ST911
06-08-08, 00:25
Yojimbo- May we repost this information elsewhere? In full text, with credit to you, and with a link to M4C, of course?

ARin
06-08-08, 13:17
what i got out of the article:

if you cannot or are unwilling to carry around a bunch of spare batteries, get an aimpoint.

the aimpoint usage guide is much shorter.

1. turn on
2. use
3. turning off is unnecessary. change your battery sometime a few years from now.

Yojimbo
06-09-08, 09:50
Yojimbo- May we repost this information elsewhere? In full text, with credit to you, and with a link to M4C, of course?

Yes, please do so. Hopefully it will help some folks keep their EOTech's running.

Yojimbo
06-09-08, 09:52
what i got out of the article:

if you cannot or are unwilling to carry around a bunch of spare batteries, get an aimpoint.

the aimpoint usage guide is much shorter.

1. turn on
2. use
3. turning off is unnecessary. change your battery sometime a few years from now.

In someways it does say that...;)

Armati
06-09-08, 23:08
The new Aimpoint is awesome. 80,000hrs of battery life is incredible and most every soldier should have one issued.

However....

Honestly, can anyone truly zero a 4moa dot on a 25m zero target? I covers the whole damn silhouette. How about hitting the 300m pop-up? The 2moa dot is better but I find it very hard to acquire that tiny dot in all lighting conditions. On a range, under constant lighting conditions, with plenty of time to pull the trigger, the Aimpoint is fine. But, under real world lighting conditions, when moving, and the light conditions are changing, or at night with street lights you cannot beat the 65moa reticle.

Some people don't like the pixelation. If you are spending this much time focusing on the reticle than you need a scope not a CQC optic. All you need is a flash sight picture of the 65moa circle. I simply cannot find that little 2moa dot that fast - especially when clearing hallway where you have to contend with multiple opposed targets in depth.

Ron S.
06-09-08, 23:18
The EOTech lasts 1-1.5 years on one battery set. I still stand firm that it's way more than enough. I'd change 'em every 6 months just for fun.

Also, I love that there's the 65 moa ring in the reticle in case I'm in a high stress environment and can't pick up the 1 moa dot quick enough. It's almost like having a built in backup sight.

Sure, there's a bunch of guys that just need a more tolerant, or EXTREME conditions sight, and for them, the Aimpoint is the answer. I just never liked the Aimpoints. I've used two different ones, and I just found it harder to pick up the dot than with the EOTech. The holographic just seems to be the easiest, fastest to use.

Horses for courses.

ST911
06-09-08, 23:37
The EOTech lasts 1-1.5 years on one battery set. I still stand firm that it's way more than enough. I'd change 'em every 6 months just for fun.

For meaningful purposes, I would consider changing them as frequently as 30-60 days. If actually used (rather than simply owned), no longer than the former.

Ron S.
06-10-08, 00:40
so on an aimpoint, you'd say every 6 months or so?

BigRed
06-10-08, 13:33
The EOTech lasts 1-1.5 years on one battery set.

Funny, I'm always buying batteries at the PX to give to my team. Every couple missions someone is fishing for a set of batteries to change out before we head back home. In my experience the batteries do not last more than a couple months on the high settings.

I'm not a total Eotech hater. I own three and used them on various weapons operationally. Their benefits however are outweighed by their unreliability.

Iraqgunz
06-10-08, 17:05
Bigred,

I am not an EOTech hater either, but I am less than happy with their battery life and of course the issues we have had as of late. If the Aimpoint could find a way to steal the reticle from EOTech then that would be the heat.

Funny, I'm always buying batteries at the PX to give to my team. Every couple missions someone is fishing for a set of batteries to change out before we head back home. In my experience the batteries do not last more than a couple months on the high settings.

I'm not a total Eotech hater. I own three and used them on various weapons operationally. Their benefits however are outweighed by their unreliability.

ErnieB
06-10-08, 23:30
Bigred,

I am not an EOTech hater either, but I am less than happy with their battery life and of course the issues we have had as of late. If the Aimpoint could find a way to steal the reticle from EOTech then that would be the heat.

+1

I really like the EoTech reticle however the confidence I have in the reliability of their product has lead me to seek another option. I'm not going to sell my EoTech but it will not be on my primary "go to" rifle.

VA_Dinger
06-11-08, 22:54
I am not an EOTech hater either, but I am less than happy with their battery life and of course the issues we have had as of late.

I would also have to agree with this statement.

While I prefer Eotech's reticle and FOV I do find myself being very paranoid about changing batteries. I change them often just to be safe. That being said I have never had a 552 model die on me. The AA batteries seem to do much better. The same could not be said for the 511/551 versions. I've had two and both ate batteries and failed me several times, even more so in the cold.

DMark
06-29-08, 10:31
..... I don't know what the deal is but the issues seem to have increased after they were bought out by L3.......
L3...... :rolleyes:

That is the problem.

If there was ever a poster-boy for "Lying, Cheating, Contractor" its L3! :mad:

In the past I spent countless wasted TDYs to confront their POS CEO over a near half billion dollar training device program that we have been trying to get them to fix since the 1990s. I have never seen a manufacture promise more and deliver less than L3.

Their business model is to gold-plate everything (with fool's gold).

Wish there was a way to ID pre-L3 EOtechs because I like the sight.

Master_of_Sparks
06-29-08, 11:59
My wife works for a company that has made L3's electronics for the past 5 years. She makes their circuit boards. When Juda Wolfe recently left that manufacturer, so did some of the quality for those electronics.

Fortunately for me, I got some handpicked boards for my Eotechs before that change. BTW, the best of the Eotech lot is the 512.

ST911
06-29-08, 15:29
My wife works for a company that has made L3's electronics for the past 5 years. She makes their circuit boards. When Juda Wolfe recently left that manufacturer, so did some of the quality for those electronics. Fortunately for me, I got some handpicked boards for my Eotechs before that change. BTW, the best of the Eotech lot is the 512.

Interesting... Is there a tell on the boards that a non-techno guy can use to screen them?

Master_of_Sparks
06-29-08, 15:48
She numbers the boards and each component on the boards by laser etch. The end buyer tells her what numbers to assign. She doesn't have a chart comparison of the product specifics that boards are used in. They are submitted on an order by order basis.