PDA

View Full Version : Mag Tactical Uppers

Flankenstein
04-15-14, 16:05
Does any one here have one? Have you put it through its paces?

Would anybody here avoid one? If so, why?

wahoo95
04-15-14, 18:53
Is it a complete upper or just a receiver? Do you have a link?

MorphCross
04-15-14, 19:00
Is it a complete upper or just a receiver? Do you have a link?

Complete Magnesium Alloy upper. http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/uppers/assembled-uppers

wahoo95
04-15-14, 19:04
Never heard of it...thanks for the link. How much do they weight in comparison to a forged aluminum upper?

MorphCross
04-15-14, 19:09
The uppers I couldn't tell you but the lowers are supposed to be a shade over 3 oz. lighter than as standard forged lower.

Would be fun to try out with the KMR and BCM ELW-Fluted barrel.

ETA: Difference is negligible. 4.8 oz. for the stripped Mag upper, DD 7075 Aluminum assembled upper weighs in at 7 oz. according to their webpage.

Col_Crocs
04-15-14, 21:43
Interesting. I've always wondered about the prospect of using this alloy "mix" for uppers, lowers or any other aluminum part for that matter. I suppose the negligible weight diff kind of answers that. I wonder if a MUR type upper would be possible in the same weight as a standard forged upper.

Hank6046
04-15-14, 23:16
Just looked at their AIR 15 Recon Rifle and its a polymer lower, for $1400, just a sign that this company isn't reinventing the wheel instead trying to sell a Hyundai as a Cadillac. I'd move on for an upper

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 00:17
Just looked at their AIR 15 Recon Rifle and its a polymer lower, for $1400, just a sign that this company isn't reinventing the wheel instead trying to sell a Hyundai as a Cadillac. I'd move on for an upper

Wrong. Lower is the same material.

MorphCross
04-16-14, 00:22
<snip> its a polymer lower <snip>

Not trying to be argumentative or anything but the site specifically states that their uppers and lowers are all made from the same Magnesium alloy.

jimmyheadgear
04-16-14, 06:24
I kinda like their products, but hate their customer service!!

I bought an upper and lower from them. It took over 2 months to get the upper even though it was "in stock" The upper was supposed to be complete, but there was an install problem with the forward assist being too long and ratcheting the BCG closed.

When I complained they didn't pay any attention until I said I would go on the boards to bash them.

My overall experience is that the weight savings does not justify the high price and shitty customer service.

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 10:26
I kinda like their products, but hate their customer service!!

I bought an upper and lower from them. It took over 2 months to get the upper even though it was "in stock" The upper was supposed to be complete, but there was an install problem with the forward assist being too long and ratcheting the BCG closed.

When I complained they didn't pay any attention until I said I would go on the boards to bash them.

My overall experience is that the weight savings does not justify the high price and shitty customer service.

Well with regards to their customer service- I had the exact opposite experience. I have two of their lowers. One of them was an older lower with a duracoat finish- installing an ASAP kinda f'd up the finish (the wings on the asap scratched the finish)

I called them about this and they sent me a new cerakoted lower no questions asked. It was at my FFL 3 days after the call.

...So really what spawned this thread is I plan on putting uppers on these lowers sometime soon and I am trying to decide if I want to through BCM uppers on them or switch it up a bit and through the new lighter uppers.

I have a number of 6920s and on DD. So I am really just trying to switch it up a little....

grahats
04-16-14, 13:09
I purchased 2 of the Mag tactical lowers from Primary arms when they were $80 and was very happy with the fit and finish. Last month my 2 uppers arrived and the finish is not even close. Uppers look and feel like they are spray painted. Coating is also not nearly as durable as the lowers. Finished one and the upper and lower had lots of slop so I went back to using my Mega set. Returned 1 of the uppers because the BCG would not go into the upper. Sold the finished set.

These are extremely lite and was looking forward to using them for a lightweight build but just not worth it IMOP. From there site "use a proprietary coating process to protect our uppers from corrosion." WTF does that mean? My own fault for not researching this. From now on I will stick with anodized Type 3 class 2 receivers.

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 13:38
I purchased 2 of the Mag tactical lowers from Primary arms when they were $80 and was very happy with the fit and finish. Last month my 2 uppers arrived and the finish is not even close. Uppers look and feel like they are spray painted. Coating is also not nearly as durable as the lowers. Finished one and the upper and lower had lots of slop so I went back to using my Mega set. Returned 1 of the uppers because the BCG would not go into the upper. Sold the finished set.

These are extremely lite and was looking forward to using them for a lightweight build but just not worth it IMOP. From there site "use a proprietary coating process to protect our uppers from corrosion." WTF does that mean? My own fault for not researching this. From now on I will stick with anodized Type 3 class 2 receivers.

Ok. The uppers (and all newer lowers) are cerakoted though. Def not spray paint.

Your lowers were most likely duractoted...cerakote is way stronger than duracoat so your response makes little to no sense.

markm
04-16-14, 13:42
I'm not an engineer or a metal guru.... but let's assume that the material is like the KMR rail. That'd put its strength into the 6000 series alloy equivalent. Not a big deal on a handguard/rail.... but I'm sticking with a 7000 series forging for my actual receiver... even at a 3 or 4 ounce weight penalty.

grahats
04-16-14, 14:20
Ok. The uppers (and all newer lowers) are cerakoted though. Def not spray paint.

Your lowers were most likely duractoted...cerakote is way stronger than duracoat so your response makes little to no sense.

What does not make sense? You asked "Would anybody here avoid one? If so, why?" I stated that the fit of the upper and lower together suck as well as the upper finish.

I don't know what mine were coated with and neither do you.
The company does not list what they are coated with on there website.
I am sure they are not spray painted and only used that as a description to how I felt the finish looked.
The finish of my lowers were durable and stronger than the upper. Upper finish could be marred with my fingernails and was easily scratched.

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 14:25
What does not make sense? You asked "Would anybody here avoid one? If so, why?" I stated that the fit of the upper and lower together suck as well as the upper finish.

I don't know what mine were coated with and neither do you.
The company does not list what they are coated with on there website.
I am sure they are not spray painted and only used that as a description to how I felt the finish looked.

It does not jive. If your lower was made this summer or earlier it was duracoat. If was made recently it is cerakote. I DO know that.

The website very clearly states that the use cerakote.

The fact that your BCG wouldn't fit in your upper was the only useful info you provided- even that seems a little whacky- that upper must have been WAY out of spec.

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 14:27
Also, I am not asking about fit and finish and how well the colors match, I want to know how the metal itself seems to be holding up. markm's response has been really the only helpful one so far as I suspect that BCM's KMR rail and the Mag Tactical receiver materials are very similar.

grahats
04-16-14, 14:34
I have no idea how old the 2 lowers I purchased were. Primary Arms had them for $79.77 earlier this year.

JasonDTM
04-16-14, 14:40
Also, I am not asking about fit and finish and how well the colors match, I want to know how the metal itself seems to be holding up. markm's response has been really the only helpful one so far as I suspect that BCM's KMR rail and the Mag Tactical receiver materials are very similar.

The material should hold up, though it suffers from the same problem as aluminum when someone over-tightens a fastener.

Remember, forged magnesium wheels have existed in motorsport for a long time. I do not think I have seen a wheel failure in endurance racing for over two decades.

Col_Crocs
04-16-14, 17:40
I'm not an engineer or a metal guru.... but let's assume that the material is like the KMR rail. That'd put its strength into the 6000 series alloy equivalent. Not a big deal on a handguard/rail.... but I'm sticking with a 7000 series forging for my actual receiver... even at a 3 or 4 ounce weight penalty.
Ha! You're right.