PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

ra2bach
04-15-14, 21:08
I haven't seen a thread on this in awhile and technology being what it is...

I'm looking for a handheld GPS though I don't know either what I need, or what the best value is.

any suggestions?..

Hmac
04-15-14, 22:57
iPhone.

People still use handheld GPS?

ra2bach
04-16-14, 01:51
iPhone.

People still use handheld GPS?

yeah, that's an option in the car but outside it eats battery life and the waterproofing is a problem.

do you have a suggestion or was that it?..

malstew123
04-16-14, 09:52
Garmin Fortrex 401. Allows you to program way points and gives you a fairly accurate 10 digit grid. Really hard to beat for size, under $200, programing features and battery life with 2 AAA's.

Ryno12
04-16-14, 10:03
I've been a huge fan of the Garmin Rino. I've owned every generation since the beginning & they keep getting better (for the exception of loosing the temp sensor).
They have all the features of a regular GPS but with an integrated FRS/GMRS radio, weather radio, positioning with other Rino's., 5MP camera, waterproof, etc.

http://sites.garmin.com/rino/

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
04-16-14, 10:40
yeah, that's an option in the car but outside it eats battery life and the waterproofing is a problem.

do you have a suggestion or was that it?..

That's my suggestion. Weatherproof casing and aux battery pack are no big deal and the useability with free MotionX map is superior to my $500 Garmin Rino. GMRS is fine, if you don't mind the limited range and $85 license fee (3 years), and paying $129 for the map and then periodic updates to display on a 2.6 inch (diag) screen. As opposed to the range associated with an iPhone which I already own.

Ryno12
04-16-14, 11:36
That's my suggestion. Weatherproof casing and aux battery pack are no big deal and the useability with free MotionX map is superior to my $500 Garmin Rino. GMRS is fine, if you don't mind the limited range and $85 license fee (3 years), and paying $129 for the map and then periodic updates to display on a 2.6 inch (diag) screen. As opposed to the range associated with an iPhone which I already own.

$500!?! Sad to hear you got bent over (Not really. You can afford it). I paid less than $340 for my 655t. $129 for updates?? I haven't had to pay a dime.
And why automatically go after my suggestion? That's right, that's been your thing of late. I 'almost' forgot you're the ER doc, which instantly makes you an SME in all subjects. Now go ahead & blame me for being emotionally invested in my purchases, as you do every time someone counters your opinion. Get over yourself.
He asked specifically about a "Handheld GPS", not a cell phone. While they may share some features, they are not in a market to compete against one another and some features will inevitably work better in the device it's specifically designed for.
Want a good cell phone, get a cell phone. Want a good camera, get a camera. Want a good GPS unit, get a GPS unit.

Sent via Tapatalk

kest_01
04-16-14, 12:43
Another vote for the Garmin 401, lightweight small rugged and weatherproof. Easy to use and program, and depending on your needs there are times when an Iphone just isn't appropriate or won't work at all.

Hmac
04-16-14, 16:00
$500!?! Sad to hear you got bent over (Not really. You can afford it). I paid less than $340 for my 655t. $129 for updates?? I haven't had to pay a dime.
And why automatically go after my suggestion? That's right, that's been your thing of late. I 'almost' forgot you're the ER doc, which instantly makes you an SME in all subjects. Now go ahead & blame me for being emotionally invested in my purchases, as you do every time someone counters your opinion. Get over yourself.
He asked specifically about a "Handheld GPS", not a cell phone. While they may share some features, they are not in a market to compete against one another and some features will inevitably work better in the device it's specifically designed for.
Want a good cell phone, get a cell phone. Want a good camera, get a camera. Want a good GPS unit, get a GPS unit.

Sent via Tapatalk

My my. Touchy, huh? Pretty impressive ad hominem response over something so trivial as a GPS. Speaking of emotional investment. Disagreeing with your suggestion isn't the same thing as attacking you. Can't you see the difference?

Anyway, I can't help it...that's what I use for a hand held GPS. I do own a Rino, use it snowmobiling in the mountains where cell-phone coverage is spotty and its buddy-locating feature is occasionally useful as is GMRS. Never use it for anything else anymore, but that doesn't make me an expert or you a dumbass.

dog guy
04-16-14, 16:25
Garmin 62 series. We see a lot of these in the SAR world. Good quad helix antenna, pretty fast chipset. Lots of maps available, either Garmin's or aftermarket. Can work with Garmin's custom map system, where you take an existing map and add your own data to create a new map. Good daylight visible screen. For running external 12 volt power, the plug isn't as weather resistant as the old 60 series. The 62S keeps going on sale for $199 or less at places like REI and Cabela's. I get the impression Garmin may have a replacement in the pipeline since that's what they did when the 62 replaced the 60: lots of sale prices on the old model.

GotAmmo
04-16-14, 17:00
I like the eTrax Series from Garmin. I've had mine since I was a young SGT, back when Land Nav was important and heavily practiced. That means I've had mine since 02-03 and its still going.

Granted I am going to upgrade to a color version here shortly for my GHBs

SeriousStudent
04-16-14, 22:20
Cool down the discussion please.

Vic303
04-17-14, 06:43
I have some small experience with Garmin products, beginning with a Garmin 12...In the car I use a large screen Nuvi which we have a lifetime map update feature. (look for the Garmins with LM in the unit name) I have a pair of 305's for the bikes as back up, and a pair of 705's for main use on bike. We also have a pair of now-seldom-used GPSMAP60's which were our main geocaching units. We used aftermarket software to upload caches to the 60's, which worked well, though was complicated to run from the desktop. Perhaps software has improved since then to make it easier.

For when I have GOOD fast 4G/LTE type speeds, I love googlemaps on the phone. But even on I-35, once you hit the rural areas, the speed drops to Edge or worse, and there goes any hope of using the phone for maps.

The Map60's run on a pair of AA batteries and will work with NiMh chemistry so rechargeables are ok.
The Nuvi is 12v.
The 305's and 705's run on an internal battery, but can be recharged from an assortment of standard phone-type aux packs or from a quality dyno hub on your bike if you have one (think randonneuring). The screen on the Nuvi is the best, obviously, being the largest (for old eyes ya know!), and the 705 is nice too though detail is lacking on it.

I personally never got into the GPS/GMRS radio thing because DH and I are both ham radio operators, so we have typically better comms, better range, and can do APRS if we had some desire to do so. But ham radio is a totally different thread...

For the OP, I can only suggest that they think about how they plan to primarily use the GPS, and once they decide its main functions, purchase around that.

Preliator
04-17-14, 11:20
I am in the same boat as GotAmmo - I have used a Garmin eTrax since I was a young Lance Corporal in 99/2000 and the Map, Compass and Protractor were the primary land nav devices. I used three different Garmin eTraxs over the course of three deployments and uncountable hunting trips into the Alaskan, Montanan and Idahoian wildernesses - I never had a failure and with a spare set of batteries, never ran out of juice for trips up to 2 weeks.

They are water resistant, sand resistant, light weight, easy to use and fairly cheap.

ra2bach
04-17-14, 12:07
Garmin 62 series. We see a lot of these in the SAR world. Good quad helix antenna, pretty fast chipset. Lots of maps available, either Garmin's or aftermarket. Can work with Garmin's custom map system, where you take an existing map and add your own data to create a new map. Good daylight visible screen. For running external 12 volt power, the plug isn't as weather resistant as the old 60 series. The 62S keeps going on sale for $199 or less at places like REI and Cabela's. I get the impression Garmin may have a replacement in the pipeline since that's what they did when the 62 replaced the 60: lots of sale prices on the old model.

I see the 62 on sale a lot and is why I asked my question. I had the 60Csx but sold it for a bigger screen unit for my motorcycle. I understand the 62 may have some problems so still looking for good suggestions.

and BTW, I want as big a viewing area as practical. old eyes, etc...

ra2bach
04-17-14, 12:11
I have some small experience with Garmin products, beginning with a Garmin 12...In the car I use a large screen Nuvi which we have a lifetime map update feature. (look for the Garmins with LM in the unit name) I have a pair of 305's for the bikes as back up, and a pair of 705's for main use on bike. We also have a pair of now-seldom-used GPSMAP60's which were our main geocaching units. We used aftermarket software to upload caches to the 60's, which worked well, though was complicated to run from the desktop. Perhaps software has improved since then to make it easier.

For when I have GOOD fast 4G/LTE type speeds, I love googlemaps on the phone. But even on I-35, once you hit the rural areas, the speed drops to Edge or worse, and there goes any hope of using the phone for maps.

The Map60's run on a pair of AA batteries and will work with NiMh chemistry so rechargeables are ok.
The Nuvi is 12v.
The 305's and 705's run on an internal battery, but can be recharged from an assortment of standard phone-type aux packs or from a quality dyno hub on your bike if you have one (think randonneuring). The screen on the Nuvi is the best, obviously, being the largest (for old eyes ya know!), and the 705 is nice too though detail is lacking on it.

I personally never got into the GPS/GMRS radio thing because DH and I are both ham radio operators, so we have typically better comms, better range, and can do APRS if we had some desire to do so. But ham radio is a totally different thread...

For the OP, I can only suggest that they think about how they plan to primarily use the GPS, and once they decide its main functions, purchase around that.

yep. a nice large, color screen is important (old eyes) but not sure if touchscreen is necessary. needs to work with rechargeables and not cost an arm and a leg for maps/updates.

thanks for the suggestions...

dog guy
04-19-14, 00:39
I just recently picked up a Garmin 62S after using the 60csx for years. I'm still trying to figure out everything it will do, and how to get certain functions to work like the old reliable 60csx. The 62 isn't optimal for older eyes, or for vehicle mounting. If your primary use is hand held, and if you need to be able to log tracks for download, the 62 should do fine. For anything like an ATV or motorcycle, it can be hard to see much map area since the screen is pretty small. Aot of the ATV guys around here use Lowrance units on their machines since the display is so much bigger, but they give up detail on the topo maps. Many of the units intended for vehicle use won't store a track at all, and don't have enough battery life if you want to dismount it and go for a hike. Touch screens can be a problem if you're not in a warm vehicle: picture trying to work a touch screen in the rain with gloves on, or if you need to frequently wipe a layer of dust off. I also know one guy who uses a handheld and connects it to an Ipad mounted on his ATV, running some sort of topo mapping software. He uses the GPS for constant position updating, with the Ipad for great visibility and good electronic maps. Nice to have all these choices, isn't it?

USMC_Anglico
04-19-14, 07:22
Another vote for Garmin. Recently upgraded my 60csx to a 62s. For small form, had the foretrex 401, recently switched to the tactix. Been using those for years in both my outdoors/hiking adventures and the .mil world. They are GTG, the mapping is available open source and can be loaded pretty easily. The 6x series acquires sat lock quickly and the grids are accurate.

Allen
04-19-14, 08:51
60, 60CSX and a Foretrex 2 something. Reminds me to update the maps on the 60's. If you're using your cell phone, check this:

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650377?hl=en

You can download map areas and save them to your phone. Saves power, if you do it over WIFI, saves you data.
Allen

taliv
04-19-14, 19:32
thanks allen! i wasn't aware of that feature

ra2bach
04-21-14, 13:18
60, 60CSX and a Foretrex 2 something. Reminds me to update the maps on the 60's. If you're using your cell phone, check this:

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650377?hl=en

You can download map areas and save them to your phone. Saves power, if you do it over WIFI, saves you data.
Allen

so wait, what is this for? a handheld GPS unit or phones?..

JohnnyC
04-26-14, 18:09
I wish there was a GOOD manual/tutorial for the Foretrex 401. It's a lot more useful than people think, but I think quite a bit gets lost to its simplicity. People don't understand how to use it, so they end up spending a bunch more money on something that's more than they need.

I'm surprised I haven't come across a .mil manual for it yet. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Jellybean
05-03-14, 23:37
Bumping this back up instead of a new thread.
Saw the Garmin Etrex versions mentioned- which ones? Etrex 20? 30? :confused:
Also, can the Foretrex 401 be removed from the wristband?

trackmagic
05-05-14, 17:01
Bumping this back up instead of a new thread.
Saw the Garmin Etrex versions mentioned- which ones? Etrex 20? 30? :confused:
Also, can the Foretrex 401 be removed from the wristband?

Yes, the 401 can be removed from the wristband (I have the 301, but the externals are the same). I saved some $$$ by going with the 301 and I am glad I did. The main differences between 301 & 401 is the 401 has a magnetic compass (digital readout) and an altimeter. If you have a GPS signal you can get both pieces of data and they normally are not useful if you already know your grid position and where you are going.