PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rifles, 2 Optics. Which one would you put on which?

Lopro619
04-16-14, 05:38
Rifles:
Noveske Afghan
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/11141778326_d2f0fd28c6_b.jpg
BCM 14.5 ELW-F
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2886/13509021163_9d5c9b256a_b.jpg

Optics:
Trijicon TR24G in a Bobro extended mount, and a Micro T1 aimpoint.

As of right now I have my Afghan set up as my home defense rifle with the T1 and flashlight, but it's so darn heavy. I have been considering throwing the TR24g on the Noveske, and putting the T1 and scout light on the BCM since it's so light. What would you guys do? Which setup would you have as your go to shtf rifle?

Col_Crocs
04-16-14, 06:13
Definitely do what you've been considering. Weight aside, Your afghan has a stainless barrel and was build/designed with accuracy in mind. The TR24 would be better suited to it.

scooter22
04-16-14, 06:19
Variable on the Afghan since you have that nice Noveske Stainless barrel.

T-1 on the BCM since it's lighter, etc.

Eurodriver
04-16-14, 07:00
And that's that.

jaxman7
04-16-14, 07:59
I'd automatically say variable on Afghan but put the scope on both at the max distance you think you'll use both rifles. You may be surprised at what the ELW barrel will do. Plus a huge advantage of the ELW with a variable is the balance. Try it out and see what works for you.

After some accuracy tests and other considerations I ended up putting the Leupold on the pencil barrel and the T1 on the std profile barrel. The rifle with the T1 feels like a brick compared to the one with the variable.

-Jax

markm
04-16-14, 08:15
You may be surprised at what the ELW barrel will do.

This. I bet the ELW hangs with the SS barrel. We shot my 14.5 to 1050 yards and were getting repeat hits on an IPSC steel.

Gravedigger
04-16-14, 09:16
What your considering is exactly what I would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS-Maine
04-16-14, 09:45
2 Rifles, 2 Optics. Which one would you put on which?

My inclination would be T1 w/BCM and TR24G w/Noveske, but you never know until you try so I would do both combinations. You're just cheating yourself out of a whole lot of fun if you don't. One will most likely perform better than the other at distance, but you will better understand the rifles capability once finished. Get the barrels hot, see how groups change, etc.

2 sweet rifles you have there btw.

Dist. Expert 26
04-16-14, 09:58
My new build is pretty close to your Noveske, and I'm running a T-1 on it for close to mid-range work. Common sense would dictate magnified optics go with a precision rifle, but I wanted to mitigate the weight and bulk while still maintaining accuracy. Just my .02 though.

Airhasz
04-16-14, 10:35
This. I bet the ELW hangs with the SS barrel. We shot my 14.5 to 1050 yards and were getting repeat hits on an IPSC steel.

Believe it when I see it...:sarcastic:

ScatmanCrothers
04-16-14, 10:51
What is it about the ELW that makes this the case? Weight reduction and a possibly quicker cooling time I get but what would make the ELW more accurate than a standard profile barrel of the same manufacture? Not to put words in your mouth, just going off the notion that SS is inherently more accurate than CL and that the ELW/Gov't/LW profiles from BCM have the same internal makeup.

MegademiC
04-16-14, 21:50
What is it about the ELW that makes this the case? Weight reduction and a possibly quicker cooling time I get but what would make the ELW more accurate than a standard profile barrel of the same manufacture? Not to put words in your mouth, just going off the notion that SS is inherently more accurate than CL and that the ELW/Gov't/LW profiles from BCM have the same internal makeup.

The bold is not exactly true. In general it applies, but just because its stainless doesn't make it more accurate. I believe HK has a precision rifle that is CL, CHF(iirc) and shoots sub .5moa with the right ammo. Stainless is EASIER to make accurate - but it doesn't always work out that way.

That said. I would be a noveske would have an edge. The question for the OP is - does the accuracy advantage justify the weight? On the other hand, you may want more magnification on the noveske and the either the variable or aimpoint on the BCM.

WS6
04-17-14, 03:56
Variable on the BCM. The rail will make up for the weight of the optic moreso on that platform. Both are plenty accurate to kill anything you have any reason to shoot (I assume you aren't shooting field-mice at 400m?)

Lopro619
04-17-14, 07:14
Just gonna be punching paper at 300 yards max at my range. Might hit up some blm desert land for longer range stuff down the road however.

TehLlama
04-17-14, 12:45
Hot swap them back and forth, decide which setup you like best. There's a good argument for both, and on paper you're probably on the right track, but you might find you're happier with two rifles around the same weight, but with different optics.

Hookuleez
04-17-14, 14:05
Put the magnification on whichever rifle shoots tighter groups. You will get more out of it. If they both shoot equally well, and weight is your concern, you have two options:

1.) put the heavier optic on the lighter rifle and vice versa to "even out the weight" of the two rifles.
2.) build the lighter rifle with the aimpoint micro, and have one rifle that is very light and one that isn't.

The problem, and I speak from experience, is that light weight rifles are almost addictive.
I have a Noveske 10.5 SBR in a Vltor vis2a polylithic upper, and it feels heavier than my 14.5 lw profile middy with a NSR rail and a ta31 on it. The SBR shoots a little smoother, but I think I need a heavier buffer for the middy. But, lately I prefer to shoot the 14.5. It is longer, and doesn't have quite the same "cool" factor, but I feel like a lighter gun with a little magnification is more capable. My SBR is pretty much just a range toy, unless somebody breaks into my home.

Aimtrue531
04-24-14, 12:34
I would go with the Trijicon on the Noveski and Aimpoint on the BCM

justin_247
04-24-14, 13:17
I'm going to say it: I don't think either optic is "optimal" for your Afghan. That Noveske SS barrel will probably shoot tighter groups at distance than either of those optics will allow you to do. Heck, I bet the BCM can shoot tighter groups than either of those optics will allow you to do.

At this point, it seems like the Afghan barrel is a waste. At the distance those optics are designed for, I don't think it will enable the shooter to use the Noveske barrel to outshoot the BCM barrel.

I think you need a higher power scope for the Afghan to really see the difference between the two. Even then, you may not be able to.

Lopro619
04-24-14, 14:10
Went this route for now

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/13946518201_ba112fbfc6_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/13946524271_9e0b7b8eb2_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7387/13946515732_8727385e85_b.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2901/13946516092_cf0dcc5eb1_b.jpg

Stickman
04-24-14, 14:18
Rifles:

I have been considering throwing the TR24g on the Noveske, and putting the T1 and scout light on the BCM since it's so light.

You discovered the magic answer already, I can't think of a better option given your info.

markm
04-24-14, 14:54
Believe it when I see it...:sarcastic:

I've not had the chance to shoot the ELW with good glass on paper. We did shoot it to 1050 with the nightforce, but didn't shoot groups that day. I have got it sub MOA with a horrible 9x hunting scope.... so maybe a SS match barrel would get closer to 1/2 MOA, but MAN!... if I had to carry and SPR type gun on foot, I'd not hesitate for a minute to make it the ELW.

All of my recent BCM CL barrels have been capable of MOA or even SUB MOA performance with good 77s at 100 yards. The shock to me was that the ELW would hang right with the fatter barrels. The Tapered shape may play a role in that. But I'm not sure.

TexasGunNut
04-24-14, 15:04
I was voting for the Trig on the Afgan but you made the right choice already! You'll be amazed how far you can reach with that setup.

Ark1443
04-24-14, 16:07
I'd go with the variable on the Afghan piece, and the T-1 micro on the BCM.

JS-Maine
04-24-14, 17:00
That Noveske SS barrel will probably shoot tighter groups at distance than either of those optics will allow you to do. Heck, I bet the BCM can shoot tighter groups than either of those optics will allow you to do.

You've got a good point going there.