PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered SWFA 1-6 with Bobro.. Mounting advice needed??

cheeseburger1976
04-17-14, 21:47
Always have my local optic guy mount my scopes, but didn't want to ask him to do this one since I didn't buy from him.. Any tips and advice,or torque specs would be great.. Going on my Daniels defense..
Thanks in advance

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnnyC
04-18-14, 04:08
Bobro's are 18 inch pounds if I remember correctly. Not much more than hand right. As for anything else, the scope is easier to level at 6x than it is at 1x.

So as far as advice, level scope, set eye relief as desired, torque to proper spec. That's about it.

GH41
04-18-14, 06:17
When someone ask a question like this I have to assume he has few mechanical skills or tools. Why don't you take to your usual guy and pay him to install it? I doubt he will turn down the job because you didn't buy it from him. GH

Airhasz
04-18-14, 09:07
When someone ask a question like this I have to assume he has few mechanical skills or tools. Why don't you take to your usual guy and pay him to install it? I doubt he will turn down the job because you didn't buy it from him. GH

I assume he is now trying to learn mechanical skills or tools. At one time you also were in this boat.

Good for you OP, soon you will be swapping rails, barrels, triggers and the rest. Blue lock tight is your friend.

GH41
04-18-14, 11:31
I assume he is now trying to learn mechanical skills or tools. At one time you also were in this boat.

Good for you OP, soon you will be swapping rails, barrels, triggers and the rest. Blue lock tight is your friend.

I meant no harm by what I said. I believe some people don't have a natural ability to learn some skills and installing a $1,200 scope package is probably not the best job to learn on. He couldn't buy the tools to do it himself for three times what a smith would charge him. I have a brother that cannot change a tire on his car but he is smart enough to belong to AAA! GH

cheeseburger1976
04-18-14, 11:40

I am officially mechanically retarded, and there is no denying it. But I can handle small projects and this one seems simple enough, just wanted to see if there was anything I was missing😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
04-18-14, 13:08
I used to have difficulty leveling scopes until I heard of the deck of cards method and saw a video of how to do it. You get a deck of playing cards (business cards or index cards also work) and use them to fill the gap between the underside of the scope, which is machined flat on 99.9% of quality scopes, and the mounting base, which is usually also machined flat (I believe Bobro is among those). You add/remove cards until they perfectly fill the gap, then tighten the ring screws.

This requires a base with a flat surface, which most but not all have, and ASSumes that the machined flat on the scope is perfectly perpendicular to the crosshairs, which it should be in all quality scopes, but is not an absolute given.

A torque-wrench screwdriver is a big help for getting the screws tight enough without stripped. I got one from Amazon.com, the Neiko below. At $60 it's not cheap, but I use it all the time on scopes, and it has helped me avoid ever having a scope get crushed or come loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grade-4-Inch-Torque-Screwdriver/dp/B000RZ1D86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844435&sr=8-1&keywords=torque+screwdriver

Obscenejesster
04-18-14, 18:52
If you have an extra level sitting around, just remove the bubble from the base and set it on top of the top turret.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

cheeseburger1976
04-23-14, 18:51
Got it done myself, it's perfect... Called SWFA, they said no lecture needed... Opinions??

cheeseburger1976
04-23-14, 18:52

SWFA said don't use loctite, so I didn't..

cheeseburger1976
04-23-14, 20:13
Got it done myself, it's perfect... Called SWFA, they said no lecture needed... Opinions??

Loctite, NOT lecture

JohnnyC
04-23-14, 23:34
I generally Loctite just to be safe. 18 inch pounds is not a lot of torque. Even though most properly designed fasteners with a properly specified torque rating SHOULD be fine without any type of thread locker, it doesn't cost you anything for a drop on each screw. And as long as you're using normal "242" "blue" "medium" Loctite, the screws should easily come out if you need to remove the optic, and at most a little time with a heat gun or hair dryer should be more than adequate.

cheeseburger1976
04-24-14, 10:50
I did use the supplied loctite , but I believe it's 222MS, the liquid was purple .... Here is a picture of getting it plumbed..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/24/mu4y6atu.jpg

ra2bach
04-24-14, 13:35
I used to have difficulty leveling scopes until I heard of the deck of cards method and saw a video of how to do it. You get a deck of playing cards (business cards or index cards also work) and use them to fill the gap between the underside of the scope, which is machined flat on 99.9% of quality scopes, and the mounting base, which is usually also machined flat (I believe Bobro is among those). You add/remove cards until they perfectly fill the gap, then tighten the ring screws.

This requires a base with a flat surface, which most but not all have, and ASSumes that the machined flat on the scope is perfectly perpendicular to the crosshairs, which it should be in all quality scopes, but is not an absolute given.

A torque-wrench screwdriver is a big help for getting the screws tight enough without stripped. I got one from Amazon.com, the Neiko below. At $60 it's not cheap, but I use it all the time on scopes, and it has helped me avoid ever having a scope get crushed or come loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grade-4-Inch-Torque-Screwdriver/dp/B000RZ1D86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844435&sr=8-1&keywords=torque+screwdriver

I've had trouble using the cards or feeler guages get stuck when I tighten down the rings. same principle but I use an allen wrench. something just big enough to take up slack when twisted underneath to confirm alignment and tighten rings. then untwist Allen wrench and remove...