PDA

View Full Version : GOOD MATCH GRADE AMMO

wardnuke
04-18-14, 07:20
I'm looking for a good Sierra Matchking ammo for my RRA NM AR-15. Something in the 69 grain range. Anyone out there have a manufacturer they'd recommend?? I'm going to be shooting in the Service Rifle CMP matches next year and I'm looking for a good bullet to use. I'm using the iPhone Ballistic: AE app and would like a good bullet that also shows up in their database. Thanks.

markm
04-18-14, 08:08
Federal Gold Medal Match. There really isn't any other factory load I know of that falls in the "GOOD MATCH GRADE" category.

edit: Win has the Ranger Match Ammo RA223M, I think... Not sure how "matchy" it really is. I think I have a partial box of it.

taliv
04-18-14, 11:32
other options if that's not in stock

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/159.htm SWammo makes outstanding 223 ammo. I used it in the 'secondary weapon' at mammoth sniper challenge a couple years ago (1st place win). but SWammo will make you want to nut punch them about delivery sometimes. call and make sure it's actually ready to ship and not just the unassembled components "in stock" before you buy

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/corbon/performance/rifle/pm22369-20
http://www.triadtactical.com/Black-Hills-New-5.56mm-69gr-Sierra-OTM-Open-Tip-Match.html

markm
04-18-14, 11:54
Wow. Southwest is right in my backyard. I should drop by and straighten their operation out. ;)

BobinNC
04-18-14, 12:15
Fiocchi also makes some 223 match ammo with 69 gr. Sierra SMK's. Quite a bit cheaper than Federal GMM. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3627

I buy Fiocchi .223 ammo with the 77 gr SMK's by the case...Accuracy is very good, and trouble free. The cases reload easily as well.

markm
04-18-14, 12:29
Someone over on ARF a few years back did a bunch of ammo tests/comparisons, and the Fiochi did actually perform pretty good in the accuracy department.

fz1boxer
04-18-14, 14:43
i have found the fiochi 77 grain and the prvi 75 grain 223 ammo comparable to the higher priced ammo.

markm
04-18-14, 22:59
Now you're talking crazy. Fiochi... I can kind of buy off on. PRVI? It shouldn't be allowed to be sold with the word "MATCH" on it.

I've not been able to get the 75s to shoot MOA with any Hand loaded combo.... let alone in their formula. The bullet is just a hollow point bullet. Not a OTM at all from my bootleg testing methods anyway.

decodeddiesel
04-19-14, 00:57
I've never been impressed with PRVI outside of "blasting ammo". Their "match" ammo is 2 MOA on a good day.

FGMM really is the industry standard, but even the mighty fall sometimes...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/FCSMKFail008.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/decodeddiesel/media/FCSMKFail008.jpg.html)

I've personally been impressed with Black Hills as well, but I've never shot a match with it.

fz1boxer
04-19-14, 03:20
maybe comparable was a bit to optimistic.........how about cheaper with the emphasis being on the "cheap"
btw have you guys shot any of the nosler custom competition ammo?

Redbeardsong
04-19-14, 05:26
Clyde Armory has the Magtech 77gr match 5.56 ammo loaded with Sierra Match King billets in stock.

http://clydearmory.com/magtech-cbc-sierra-match-king-otm.html

decodeddiesel
04-19-14, 17:26
Clyde Armory has the Magtech 77gr match 5.56 ammo loaded with Sierra Match King billets in stock.

http://clydearmory.com/magtech-cbc-sierra-match-king-otm.html

That's interesting.

markm
04-20-14, 08:40
I've never been impressed with PRVI outside of "blasting ammo". Their "match" ammo is 2 MOA on a good day.

Our experience too.

TXBK
04-20-14, 09:05
The 69 grn. Nosler Custom Competition has performed well for me out of an 18" SS Noveske barrel.

yhmspecter
04-20-14, 15:03

FGMM really is the industry standard, but even the mighty fall sometimes...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/FCSMKFail008.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/decodeddiesel/media/FCSMKFail008.jpg.html)

I've personally been impressed with Black Hills as well, but I've never shot a match with it.

What is that not pointed looking bullet third from the left on the top set of rounds?

Steel head
04-20-14, 16:12
What is that not pointed looking bullet third from the left on the top set of rounds?

Looks like it was loaded backwards.

Hornandy superformance match 5.56 75bthp has given me groups close to FGM 69smk and gets the 75 hustling pretty good out of a 18" barrel.

Javelin
04-20-14, 20:59
Southwest ammo is amazing stuff but good god are they jacked up. They charge you upon your purchase date and they don't ship for months... And months.... Hell I waited 11 months on one order, I'm at month 4 on this current one. It's crazy, but I try to buy in bulk so I keep on hand as it takes that long to get product from them.

Privi- well, I like it personally for patterns inside 100 yards. Privi isn't going to be a 500m precision cartridge but it always goes bang, really reliable pressures and cycling, good brass and you can find it on sale for sub $400/case of 1000. What's not to love?

bp7178
04-20-14, 21:12
Fiocchi is good for cost, but the velocity is on the slow slide.

decodeddiesel
04-20-14, 21:26
Looks like it was loaded backwards.

Lana: Winner winner chicken dinner.

Just a testament to the practice of inspecting each and every round before you shoot it, no matter who the manufacturer is. Don't take this as a knock on Federal. I still think their American made ammo is some of the best your money can buy.

markm
04-21-14, 08:32
Fiocchi is good for cost, but the velocity is on the slow slide.

It's a trade off with 77 SMK. We load two different variants. The downside of the hot load is that it's a brass killer. Primer pocket are done much sooner.

ttech
05-24-14, 08:02
It's a trade off with 77 SMK. We load two different variants. The downside of the hot load is that it's a brass killer. Primer pocket are done much sooner.

Mark....I have used your mild load and it is great (the H-322 with wolf srm primers) are you comfortable sharing the hotter load that you guys use?? thanks

1slow01Z71
05-24-14, 20:38
Mark needs to make a thread with all his loads for us to copy lol. I lost my piece of paper that I had a few of his loads written down on. :(

Steel head
05-25-14, 09:45
I shot some Nosler match 77 loads yesterday and it ran quite well, easily equal to the Fed GM 69 or 77 loads.

I'd list my fav 75bthp load with 8208xbr but it's over listed max.
My other standard loads are 25.5 of W748 and 69smk's with #450 primer and 25.4 cfe223 with a 77smk and #450.

markm
05-25-14, 11:22
Mark....I have used your mild load and it is great (the H-322 with wolf srm primers) are you comfortable sharing the hotter load that you guys use?? thanks

Yeah...

Keep in mind this is OVER MAX, and will shorten case life.

77 gr SMK
23.4 gr XBR 8208
2.25 OAL
Wolf or Tula Primer.

I was running 23.8 gr, but we started blowing primers on a powder lot change. So I lowered it to 23.4. Other guys barking up this tree are at 23.5... so right about there is working good.

Koshinn
05-25-14, 11:40
Yeah...

77 gr SMK
23.4 gr XBR 8208
2.25 OAL
Wolf or Tula Primer.

I was running 23.8 gr, but we started blowing primers on a powder lot change. So I lowered it to 23.4. Other guys barking up this tree are at 23.5... so right about there is working good.

What's the difference between wolf and tula primers?

ttech
05-25-14, 13:25
Yeah...

77 gr SMK
23.4 gr XBR 8208
2.25 OAL
Wolf or Tula Primer.

Thanks so much! Which Wolf/Tula primers have you settled on?? They are kind of confusing, standard, magnum, and the newer .223 specific which seems it is the actual magnum while the one they label as magnum is actually just the standard primer with a harder cup......I think but it is difficult to decifer :confused:

markm
05-25-14, 13:31
What's the difference between wolf and tula primers?

In some cases, Nothing.

They all work great. I'll use any of them. I have mostly the green compound primers. Both Tula and Wolf with that compound perform exactly alike. The Wold .223 with the copper compound yield a slightly higher velocity. But those were twice the price at Brunos for whatever reason. I'm happy with all of them.

Steel head
05-25-14, 21:17
Yeah...

77 gr SMK
23.4 gr XBR 8208
2.25 OAL
Wolf or Tula Primer.

My XBR/77 load is the same except I'm using CCI#450's
I went a bit higher and never blew a primer but gained nothing good so stepped back a bit.

SPQR476
05-26-14, 00:04
I've had very good luck with Black Hills 77OTM out of my proof gun. I've seen prvi shoot OK, with "OK" being twice the group size of good ammo. I use PRVI 168s to load "special ball" equivalent in .308. "Match" is a stretch on anything I've seen from them.

Ttwwaack
05-26-14, 00:59
Are you shooting on a full size range or at reduced targets. What is your max distance. I ask because I used to shoot at a club and everything was @ 100. I ended up running Sierra 52 or 53 FB Match bullets in handloads. If so, look at.the Hornady 50 or 55 gr Vmax loadings.

Have you thought of stuffing your own. If so, once you digest the basics in the reload manuals get a copy of 'Loading For Compitition' by Zediker.

Is PRIP loadi g their own 69gr 'Match' BTHPs or are they loading Sierra's. If not, PP mexi match might do in a pinch with Sierra bullets seated. I don't think it would hurt. Paging Markm...

Koshinn
05-26-14, 01:38
In some cases, Nothing.

They all work great. I'll use any of them. I have mostly the green compound primers. Both Tula and Wolf with that compound perform exactly alike. The Wold .223 with the copper compound yield a slightly higher velocity. But those were twice the price at Brunos for whatever reason. I'm happy with all of them.

How do you tell what compound they are?

markm
05-26-14, 10:33
How do you tell what compound they are?

You can look at them as see it. If you mean in the box... Tula 223 and WOLF SRM are the green colored stuff. WOLF .223 have the copper colored compound. I'd take any of them.

Ryno12
05-26-14, 12:05
You can also add the Tula 5.56 SRM to the list of green compound primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMT Shooter
05-26-14, 19:37
[QUOTE=markm;1898321]Federal Gold Medal Match. There really isn't any other factory load I know of that falls in the "GOOD MATCH GRADE" category.

markm, have you any experience with Hornady Match loads? I am not a highly experienced precision shooter, but I've been getting MOA groups out of my MRP with Hornady #8026, which is (or was) avaliable through CMP for a great price, better than any other source for "match grade" ammo, last time I checked.

markm
05-27-14, 08:14
markm, have you any experience with Hornady Match loads? I am not a highly experienced precision shooter, but I've been getting MOA groups out of my MRP with Hornady #8026, which is (or was) avaliable through CMP for a great price, better than any other source for "match grade" ammo, last time I checked.

I've tried hornady loaded ammo, and their 75 grain bullets. They're much better than most fmj ammo you can buy. But like you, I've never had them do much better than MOA.

Ned Christiansen
05-27-14, 08:26
My experience with Hornady Match 75's was, strangely, that their 5.56 TAP 75 shot better, and better than the 75 FPD loading. Probably be different in different guns.

CorBon's 69 grain load has shot very well for me. I don't specifically remember a Black Hills load with 69's but they probably make it and if they do I feel confident in saying it must be good. FGMM of any caliber or loading in my exp. is totally deserving of its rep.

LMT Shooter
05-27-14, 19:16
I've tried hornady loaded ammo, and their 75 grain bullets. They're much better than most fmj ammo you can buy. But like you, I've never had them do much better than MOA.

I can't disagree with what you said, but my skill level is not up to the point where I can be dissatisfied with the 8026, nor is my rifle/optic combo what could be accurately labelled "match grade." I need to invest in a Giessele trigger.

Are you aware of a source for any match ammo that has a better price than the CMP price for the Hornady?

markm
05-27-14, 19:21
I can't disagree with what you said, but my skill level is not up to the point where I can be dissatisfied with the 8026, nor is my rifle/optic combo what could be accurately labelled "match grade." I need to invest in a Giessele trigger.

Are you aware of a source for any match ammo that has a better price than the CMP price for the Hornady?

I'm not a good ammo price source. I never buy .223, and only check cabela's ridiculous prices for entertainment value.. when I stop in to check for powder.

ad_infinitum
05-27-14, 20:43
PRVI Partizan in my experience has been as accurate as MK262. The main problem is it's not loaded to spec and is 200 fps slower. 2500 fps vs 2700 out of 16". MK262 is noticeably hotter.

There is a MK262 clone on the market, IMI Razor core 5.56mm.