PDA

View Full Version : 8" SBR Ammo Suggestions

DontCome2MyHouse
04-19-14, 20:58
Looking for 223/5.56 ammunition that is optimal for a very short barrel rifle. Specifically for an 8" barrel with a 1:8 twist. This will be suppressed (Silencerco SAKER 5.56) .

I'm not sure if fragmentation or expansion is more important for a home defense role. I don't need barrier penetration and would like to avoid over-penetration.

Are there loads out there that can expand or fragment at a low velocity you would experience with an 8" barrel? Are there powders that can completely burn in that short of length? Black Hills 50gr TSX seems to be popular, but it is specifically designed for barrier penetration.

jstone
04-20-14, 00:56
You should go with an expanding round that has the lowest expansion threshold. If your worried about it going through walls read up on 556 and wall penetration.

A lot of people say they dont want a barrier blind load in the house. I dont know about you but in my house there are quite a few barriers one could hide behind.

I would look for anything loaded with the fusion/gold dot bullet or the nosler bonded solid base. They both have an expansion threshold around 1600 fps. You wont get full expansion at 1600, but you should be able to push a 62gr bullet to 2300-2400 fps.

Barnes tsx and tsx both expand down to roughly 1800 fps. Im not sure what velocity you get out of an 8 inch barrel but if you can get more than 2300-2400 at room distances any good soft point/barnes bullet should work great. If you can get a couple hundred more fps at room distances you could go with a fragmenting bullet.

Bottom line is I would let the velocity be the determining factor. If you can get 2600-2700 at room distance pick whatever you want. If your below 2600 stick with expanding bullets. I may have the numbers wrong but im almost positive that most bullets that fragment need 2600-2700+ fps to frag.

Im a fan of expansion. I beleive it is far more reliable. You could always shoot some water jugs just to see if what you choose will do what is supposed to. It is not the best test, but if the bullet does not expand/fragment in water it probably won't in tissue.

Javelin
04-20-14, 01:05
I would recommend doing a little bit of reading regarding barrel length and bullet stabilization as your baffle is going to be non forgiving

DontCome2MyHouse
04-20-14, 06:45
I would recommend doing a little bit of reading regarding barrel length and bullet stabilization as your baffle is going to be non forgiving

As long as I choose the proper grain bullet for a 1:8 twist it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Raven Armament
04-20-14, 08:41
Velocity matters for stability. Work up some loads with the can off and paper test at close distances and see if your bullet is stabilized or if you get a wounded duck tear in the paper. If your bullet is stabilized and makes nice circular holes, it is stabilized and you can attach the suppressor with good confidence that it won't get a baffle strike.

DontCome2MyHouse
04-20-14, 09:04
Velocity matters for stability. Work up some loads with the can off and paper test at close distances and see if your bullet is stabilized or if you get a wounded duck tear in the paper. If your bullet is stabilized and makes nice circular holes, it is stabilized and you can attach the suppressor with good confidence that it won't get a baffle strike.

So, you're saying it's safe for me to go ahead and purchase this upper. It's just a matter of finding the right load that won't keyhole?

Grizzly16
04-20-14, 11:08
So, you're saying it's safe for me to go ahead and purchase this upper. It's just a matter of finding the right load that won't keyhole?

Or.. go with a longer barrel so you don't have to do a crap shoot of finding the right ammo to find one with good terminal ballistics out of an 8" barrel and doesn't keyhole.

Javelin
04-20-14, 13:22
It's not that it will definitely cause baffle strike, but the chances increase dramatically the shorter your barrel is under 10" in the 5.56 variety. The other issue that you will see with a barrel under 10" is baffle erosion from the spent and Unburned powder media blasting internals of your can like a plasma canon. I wouldn't tell you what the best choice is, I personally have left my 5.56 at 10.5" and had one of my N4 300blk in 8" to avoid any of the nasty effects of the 5.56 while still maintaining a short 8.2" barrel. Just wanted to bring it to your attention if you've not considered the downsides to ultra-short 5.56 platforms.

DontCome2MyHouse
04-20-14, 17:25
It's not that it will definitely cause baffle strike, but the chances increase dramatically the shorter your barrel is under 10" in the 5.56 variety. The other issue that you will see with a barrel under 10" is baffle erosion from the spent and Unburned powder media blasting internals of your can like a plasma canon. I wouldn't tell you what the best choice is, I personally have left my 5.56 at 10.5" and had one of my N4 300blk in 8" to avoid any of the nasty effects of the 5.56 while still maintaining a short 8.2" barrel. Just wanted to bring it to your attention if you've not considered the downsides to ultra-short 5.56 platforms.

Appreciate it. I bought the Silencerco SAKER 5.56 specifically for an ultra short SBR as it's warranted down to 7 inches full-auto.

Raven Armament
04-20-14, 20:25
Shorter barrels might have more load workup investment than longer barrels. You will have to find the right load that is stabilized with any barrel length.

For me personally, a 5.56 SBR with a 10.5" barrel is all the shorter I would want to shoot suppressed.

DontCome2MyHouse
04-21-14, 08:16
Shorter barrels might have more load workup investment than longer barrels. You will have to find the right load that is stabilized with any barrel length.

For me personally, a 5.56 SBR with a 10.5" barrel is all the shorter I would want to shoot suppressed.

I've now spoken with several folks who suppress the PWS MK107 "Diablo", which is what I'm considering. They have all said they haven't had any problems with baffle strikes and their barrels have been stabilizing all sorts of loads.

I think it's now just more of an issue of abuse on the suppressor. The Saker 5.56 was designed to take that abuse, but I'm still considering the 10.75" PWS Mk110.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Raven Armament
04-21-14, 22:47
I don't put much thought into what others say. I would test in my own weapon and use my results over speculation. If you buy the upper, slap the suppressor on it with some random load and get a baffle strike, who is going to pay for the repair, someone from the Internet? Doubtful.

If suppressors were an off the shelf item or sold as a title I firearm, I'd have a different opinion. Given the regulations surrounding their ownership, I'd be inclined to protect my investment. Hope it all works out for you.

DontCome2MyHouse
04-22-14, 08:07
I don't put much thought into what others say. I would test in my own weapon and use my results over speculation. If you buy the upper, slap the suppressor on it with some random load and get a baffle strike, who is going to pay for the repair, someone from the Internet? Doubtful.

If suppressors were an off the shelf item or sold as a title I firearm, I'd have a different opinion. Given the regulations surrounding their ownership, I'd be inclined to protect my investment. Hope it all works out for you.

Great point.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

markm
04-22-14, 08:24
If for whatever reason, you're locked into this short of a barrel... with suppressor... you might consider .300 USELESS. (or BLK as it's called by most)

5.56 in that short of a barrel is getting into PDW retardation preformance realms and is completely robbing the cartridge of its potential.