PDA

View Full Version : LMT Extractor & Spring

No Bananas
05-30-08, 04:53
My understanding is that the LMT bolts come with the o-ring. BUt do they have a decent extractor spring? Chrome Silicon? OIther advantages to a LMT Bolt?

Robb Jensen
05-30-08, 05:49
My understanding is that the LMT bolts come with the o-ring. BUt do they have a decent extractor spring? Chrome Silicon? OIther advantages to a LMT Bolt?

They're MP tested and are mil-spec quality.

Street Survival
05-30-08, 06:00
FYI:

Colt now has a Gold colored extractor spring coupled with a black bumper. Therefore the O Ring is no longer needed.

C4IGrant
05-31-08, 08:38

The spring they use is standard USGI.

Their bolts are one of the best.

C4

USMC03
05-31-08, 09:21
Last year I purchased a LMT 14.5" upper with LMT bolt carrier group.

Took it to the range and I was getting failure to extracts about every other round.

After putting approximately 100 rounds, I ended that day's range session and went home. Later that night I disassembled the bolt carrier group to see if I could recognize anything out of the ordinary. I noticed that the extractor spring was missing the black rubber "O" ring. I had purchased 3 other LMT's in the past and they all came with the black rubber "O" ring.

I installed a black rubber "O" ring and took the carbine out to the range the next day. I shot approximately 200 rounds without any malfunctions.

It was obvious that the LMT factory spring didn't have enough tension to reliabily / consistantly extract rounds without the rubber "O" ring.

Prior to 2006 I didn't use the black rubber "O" rings. It wasn't until I started purchasing LMT's that I started using the rubber "O" ring.

From the mid - late 90's to 2006, as soon as I brought a new rifle / carbine home, I would replace the factory extractor spring in ALL with a Wolff Xtra power extractor spring. I never had any kind of extractor problems. And during that time frame I never used the black rubber "O" ring.

Lesson learned. After I got home from the range on the 2nd day, I replaced all the LMT factory extractor springs with the Wolff Xtra power extractor springs (still use the factory black insert and the black rubber "o" ring).

S/F,
Jeff

jmart
05-31-08, 11:12
Last year I purchased a LMT 14.5" upper with LMT bolt carrier group.

Took it to the range and I was getting failure to extracts about every other round.

After putting approximately 100 rounds, I ended that day's range session and went home. Later that night I disassembled the bolt carrier group to see if I could recognize anything out of the ordinary. I noticed that the extractor spring was missing the black rubber "O" ring. I had purchased 3 other LMT's in the past and they all came with the black rubber "O" ring.

I installed a black rubber "O" ring and took the carbine out to the range the next day. I shot approximately 200 rounds without any malfunctions.

It was obvious that the LMT factory spring didn't have enough tension to reliabily / consistantly extract rounds without the rubber "O" ring.

Prior to 2006 I didn't use the black rubber "O" rings. It wasn't until I started purchasing LMT's that I started using the rubber "O" ring.

From the mid - late 90's to 2006, as soon as I brought a new rifle / carbine home, I would replace the factory extractor spring in ALL with a Wolff Xtra power extractor spring. I never had any kind of extractor problems. And during that time frame I never used the black rubber "O" ring.

Lesson learned. After I got home from the range on the 2nd day, I replaced all the LMT factory extractor springs with the Wolff Xtra power extractor springs (still use the factory black insert and the black rubber "o" ring).

S/F,
Jeff

When you performed your inspection, what was the condition of the extractor hook? Did it appear not as sharp as your other hooks?

Clearly your addition of the o-ring took care of things, but I've got to wonder if the extractor itself was a bit suspect.

toddackerman
06-01-08, 09:12
FWIW...

LMT recommends that you use only the USGI Extractor Spring and Black insert WITHOUT the "O" Ring for the 16" MRP platform.

USMC03
06-01-08, 16:43
When you performed your inspection, what was the condition of the extractor hook? Did it appear not as sharp as your other hooks?

Clearly your addition of the o-ring took care of things, but I've got to wonder if the extractor itself was a bit suspect.

Extractor was in new condition. Everything looked good. This was a new gun.

In comparing the LMT spring to other extractor springs (both factory and after market springs), LMT's are about as short as they come.

S/F,
Jeff

jmart
06-01-08, 17:38
Gotcha.