PDA

View Full Version : WML Battery Drain

AFshirt
04-21-14, 07:41
I've been reading around on the interwebz that the Inforce WML has a problem with draining batteries quickly. A few reviews have stated that when people are contacting them the advice given is to loosen the battery cap in storage. For a HD gun not really feasible. Up until now I have always heard good things about them and was considering one for my new Blackout SBR once the taxman approves the stamp but now not so sure. Any WML users out there with any insight or first hand experience?

Thanks

JulyAZ
04-21-14, 10:06
I've had mine for over a year, still with the original battery.

I loosen the cap it's no big deal once your try the light.

I expected the battery to die quickly after I got it and was playing with the light a lot to test it, it still hasn't, I keep spares but havnt needed them yet.

GH41
04-21-14, 14:24
No problems with one almost a year old. If you depend on anything using batteries to save your ass change them every six months. Fresh batteries are cheap insurance! GH

AFshirt
04-21-14, 15:34
No problems with one almost a year old. If you depend on anything using batteries to save your ass change them every six months. Fresh batteries are cheap insurance! GH

Yeah thats not the problem, I am seeing over on a few Glock sites that if you don't loosen the cap there is a large majority of people having batteries drained in as little as a week. My surefire doesnt need a loose cap, even my TRL1 doesn't need a loose cap. Battery refresh is one thing, having to disable the light so it isn't instantly ready is another. Im just curious if anyone else is having or experiencing that same super fast discharge rate.

GH41
04-21-14, 17:23
Have you thought about giving Inforce a call? GH

ZINCOGNITO
05-05-14, 13:38
I have a friend that called me last week with the same problem but I haven't had those types of issues with mine. I did replace the original battery when I first purchased it since you never know how long these products have been sitting on the shelf.

BTL BRN
05-05-14, 16:02
I have one on my HD weapon of choice; and the original battery didn't seem to last long at all, it has been replaced with a Surefire for about 5 months now with no drain or replacement.

SWIGIN
05-05-14, 16:47
I have not had my WML drain at all when not being used.

Shao
08-11-14, 08:19
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I run three WMLs, never loosen the bezel, and have never noticed a parasitic drain. I've only had to change the battery on one and it's because it was during a night shoot in the woods.

I have one on my HD weapon of choice; and the original battery didn't seem to last long at all, it has been replaced with a Surefire for about 5 months now with no drain or replacement.

You do realize that the X300 has twice the capacity of the WML, right? Two CR123s > One CR123, especially since they run more efficiently in pairs.

wwdkd
08-13-14, 12:08
I have a buddy with a WML and his goes through batteries like crazy. My 2 TLR-1s have no such issues.

Shao
08-13-14, 13:10
I have a buddy with a WML and his goes through batteries like crazy. My 2 TLR-1s have no such issues.

Once again, two cells are going to increase efficiency over one due to their lack of need to be driven so hard. I've owned a few TLR-1s myself and they're great, but I would in no way call them any more efficient than a WML. You're comparing a single cell to a double cell light. Just a few years ago it was amazing if you could squeeze 120 lumens out of a single cell for more than 30 minutes. I have a lot of experience with all types of LED lights, both for weapons and not and have not noticed the WML going through cells any faster than it should be. If anything, with as much as I've played with one, I've been very impressed with the run time.

BTL BRN
08-13-14, 13:33
You do realize that the X300 has twice the capacity of the WML, right? Two CR123s > One CR123, especially since they run more efficiently in pairs.

Just saw your response, no not a Surefire light; I replaced the battery with a Surefire 123.

Shao
08-13-14, 13:56
Just saw your response, no not a Surefire light; I replaced the battery with a Surefire 123.

I've really only had luck with the Surefire, Streamlight, and Energizer brand CR123s - most other brands just don't seem to last that long, even the Panasonic primaries that I've tried don't seem to have much juice in them.

Jim D
09-04-14, 19:42
I'm now on my third battery with a WML and a second battery now with an APL. They see almost zero use, and haven't been in service much more than 6 months.

Absolutely unacceptable. I'm getting tired of picking up HD guns with weapon mounted lights only to have to use a handheld.

Loosen the bezel?! This is a design flaw. Securing a battery compartment isn't grounds for depleting the battery on a potentially life saving device.

MorphCross
09-04-14, 20:00
I'm not using my WMLx for this same reason. It kills batteries of all brands in a short amount of time. Just so you are aware the WMLx uses two CR123 batteries.

El Cid
09-04-14, 20:06
I've had 2 WML's for a couple years now. No such issues. I just ordered the HSP 200 lumen version.

Shao
09-04-14, 20:19
I've had 2 WML's for a couple years now. No such issues. I just ordered the HSP 200 lumen version.

I've had two since they came out and recently bought a 200 lumen version. I've had zero issues with parasitic drain. The 200 is on the same battery that I installed originally and has been played with extensively and I've owned it for about 4 months now - I just picked it up to check it and not only does it still have juice, it still looks as bright as when I first got it. Maybe you guys got defective units????????? Even the most inefficient active electronic switches only drain micro mA - like 2-3 years storage with a single 123 battery. Do you guys use the physical lockout? Maybe the lights are activating in your rifle cases?

MorphCross
09-04-14, 20:27
Do you guys use the physical lockout? Maybe the lights are activating in your rifle cases?

I would have thought that was the initial cause, but no the second time it drained I had it dismounted from any rifles and sitting next to my desktop. So this light drains 2 CR123s at a time. I am willing to give Inforce the benefit of a doubt and contact them about the issue, but if they come back with "just loosen the bezel" I'll feel free to state that the light is defective in design and that I can't and won't recommend the WMLx for defensive use.

Shao
09-04-14, 20:48
I would have thought that was the initial cause, but no the second time it drained I had it dismounted from any rifles and sitting next to my desktop. So this light drains 2 CR123s at a time. I am willing to give Inforce the benefit of a doubt and contact them about the issue, but if they come back with "just loosen the bezel" I'll feel free to state that the light is defective in design and that I can't and won't recommend the WMLx for defensive use.

Wow... Don't know what to tell you... Please keep us informed as to what Inforce says.

Kain
09-04-14, 21:02
Am curious to know more and if this is a major percentage issue with their products or what, as well as Inforces response other than just loosen the bezel. Have been interested in the design and for the money thought it would be a good option for an up coming build I was planing for a family member, as well as a reason for me to finger **** one, but if there is a good chance it will kill the battery just laying around then I will go back to looking for a Surefire for him. Have personally run TLR series of lights and Surefire X300, X300U, and M600U as well as a handful of handhelds and never had an issue with drain and never really gave mind to it either. Hell my X300U has the original batteries in it for over a year before I swapped them out just as a precaution and I checked the light nightly(both to check function, and because I can ;)), not to include range work and training. My M600U is 7 months old and still on the original batteries as well and that thing has been fondled and ****ed with incessantly since I got it.

Jim D
09-04-14, 21:35
Even the most inefficient active electronic switches only drain micro mA - like 2-3 years storage with a single 123 battery. Do you guys use the physical lockout? Maybe the lights are activating in your rifle cases?

My APL has drained while sitting attached to a pistol in a Safariland holster, and my WML has drained (three times now) while sitting upright against the wall next to the bed.

Shao
09-07-14, 06:52
My APL has drained while sitting attached to a pistol in a Safariland holster, and my WML has drained (three times now) while sitting upright against the wall next to the bed.

Well the APL could be explained by accidental activation... the one next to your bed though... This thread made me paranoid so I just checked all of mine and they're all good to go. I wonder if this is an "undocumented feature" or if there are just bad units out there. Good thing I get free CR123s at my job. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and will report back if one of my four (thought I had three, forgot LOL) starts exhibiting the same behavior.

EDIT: Just had an idea as I was pouring my coffee... Maybe the parasitic drain that some are experiencing is related to a certain model? Could everyone list which variant they're using and whether or not you're having problems? All four of mine are the non-IR constant-on versions, three are of the older 120 lumen variety and one is the newer 200 lumen version. I haven't noticed any abnormal drainage issues.

GH41
09-07-14, 07:43
Mine are the momentary only 200 lum version from HSP. 0 problems!

Shao
09-07-14, 07:54

Good to know, but damn... I was thinking it may have been the HSP models with the problem... there goes that... everyone else?

SWIGIN
09-07-14, 08:32
Mine is the high/low/strobe 200 lum version and no problems in over a year.

mattieb
09-07-14, 09:35
^^^^^+1 I have the same one also and no issues only been 6 months though

Shao
09-07-14, 10:01
Well that's good news and bad so far... If it's a QC issue, it needs to be resolved. Would anyone with a drainer be willing to contact Inforce and point them to this thread? They're obviously not isolated incidents and don't seem to be model-dependent. I would like to see Inforce step up and explain what's going on in a public forum. Come on Inforce, tell us what the deal is - I've invested almost $500 in your weapon lights and would like to know that they will function when I need them. This can seriously hurt their reputation if they don't do some 'splainin.

Franchise
09-07-14, 11:10
No issues with my HSP WML. I would get in touch with inforce, I'm sure they'll take care of you. I believe these have a lifetime warranty.

El Cid
09-07-14, 12:38
I have one of the original WML's with the multi-function switch, and one of the older momentary only models. No drain or issues with either.

TacticalMark
09-07-14, 14:15
I've had 2 for about 4-5 months. Zero battery drain.

Jim D
09-08-14, 09:09
Well the APL could be explained by accidental activation... the one next to your bed though... This thread made me paranoid so I just checked all of mine and they're all good to go. I wonder if this is an "undocumented feature" or if there are just bad units out there. Good thing I get free CR123s at my job. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and will report back if one of my four (thought I had three, forgot LOL) starts exhibiting the same behavior.

No accidental activation on the APL. It's a Safariland 6354DO holster which protects it from activating. I always look in the holster after putting it in too, to make sure it didn't get bumped on entering the holster.

EDIT: Just had an idea as I was pouring my coffee... Maybe the parasitic drain that some are experiencing is related to a certain model? Could everyone list which variant they're using and whether or not you're having problems? All four of mine are the non-IR constant-on versions, three are of the older 120 lumen variety and one is the newer 200 lumen version. I haven't noticed any abnormal drainage issues.
Mine is the standard multi-mode 200 lumen WML and the standard APL... no momentary only, no IR.

slybarman
09-08-14, 09:39
I read about this issue on AR-15.com, but have not experienced any drain issues in mine. I have the 200 lumen multi-function model. The same battery has been in mine for maybe 8 months or so.

HCrum87hc
09-08-14, 10:52
I was having issues with the battery draining during non use. My batteries weren't lasting more than a few months. I had the ares armor version of the APL. I contacted Inforce and they've elected to replace the light. I've already sent it back, and I'm waiting for the replacement. I believe they have an updated model coming soon.

Sean W.
09-12-14, 13:29
I have an APL that is momentary/constant that drains batteries. It's not accidental because I've set it on a desk and without anything touching the paddles and it drained completely about a week later. I contacted them and they want me to ship it back on my dime.

Shao
09-12-14, 14:17
This is starting to sound like Insight bought some questionable electronic switches. An active switch, which apparently the WML uses, will have a parasitic drain to some extent when compared to a mechanical switch, which should have none. The advantages are: well... I don't really see an advantage - I guess that you don't have to press the switch as hard or hear the click of your light coming on (which could be a tactical advantage). The deal is: most active electronic switches produce such a minute drain on the battery that it would take years to drain on its own. In fact, I remember someone on candelpowerforums who tested the parasitic drain of a bunch of lights with active switches and the worst of the bunch still got about a 1 year score - the best - 30 years (beyond the useful life of the battery). I bet this is a switch QC issue and should be addressed ASAP. Everyone with bad lights send them in. I'm sure Inforce will take care of you.

I sold all of my flashlights with electronic switches not due to the parasitic drain, but because they were unreliable and broke easily. These were on Chinese-made lights though (Zebralights are still expensive). Maybe a new switch manufacturer is in order. I feel for you guys with the drainers. My paranoia got the best of me and I just double checked mine again and they're all still bright and happy...

ScottsBad
09-12-14, 14:58
This is the issue that is keeping me from buying the WML or WMLx. I like the light, but parasitic drain where batteries only last a week or two is unacceptable. I will wait until the issue is fixed before buying.

BTW - I have a TLR-1s that has been good for several months, but I like the WML profile better. The X300 has great brightness and the light color is superior, I'm just not crazy about the mount, for the money it doesn't do it for me.

I wish they'd get the WML issue resolved.

Sean W.
09-13-14, 01:25
This is starting to sound like Insight bought some questionable electronic switches. An active switch, which apparently the WML uses, will have a parasitic drain to some extent when compared to a mechanical switch, which should have none. The advantages are: well... I don't really see an advantage - I guess that you don't have to press the switch as hard or hear the click of your light coming on (which could be a tactical advantage). The deal is: most active electronic switches produce such a minute drain on the battery that it would take years to drain on its own. In fact, I remember someone on candelpowerforums who tested the parasitic drain of a bunch of lights with active switches and the worst of the bunch still got about a 1 year score - the best - 30 years (beyond the useful life of the battery). I bet this is a switch QC issue and should be addressed ASAP. Everyone with bad lights send them in. I'm sure Inforce will take care of you.

I sold all of my flashlights with electronic switches not due to the parasitic drain, but because they were unreliable and broke easily. These were on Chinese-made lights though (Zebralights are still expensive). Maybe a new switch manufacturer is in order. I feel for you guys with the drainers. My paranoia got the best of me and I just double checked mine again and they're all still bright and happy...

I think I'll just stick with streamlight, surefire, and elzetta. I guess I'll be sticking with mechanical switches also. Not to happy with Inforce right now.

Plumber237
09-25-14, 06:44
I just sent my HSP WML off to inforce last week, had the same issue as some here where twice I took my rifle out of it's case and the light was dead. I emailed them and they said to send it in for replacement, no questions asked. As long as the replacement one has no issues (and I will be watching it like a hawk) I will have confidence, it sounds like this is a fairly rare occurance.

Shao
09-25-14, 08:53
I just sent my HSP WML off to inforce last week, had the same issue as some here where twice I took my rifle out of it's case and the light was dead. I emailed them and they said to send it in for replacement, no questions asked. As long as the replacement one has no issues (and I will be watching it like a hawk) I will have confidence, it sounds like this is a fairly rare occurance.

Well, one of my four was an Ebay special (bought it broken for $60) that I bought with the intention of sending in for repair. The return process was painless and I had a new 200 lumen model sitting on my doorstep about two weeks after I sent it in. I implore anyone with drainage issues to send their lights in for replacement/repair. I wouldn't be too concerned if you're thinking of buying one of these - I don't think Inforce is going anywhere any time soon and I'm four for four on buying good ones (well, three for four - but I bought one knowing it was broken). I've had so many problems with all types of weapon lights (Surefire and Streamlight included) that I'm willing to overlook a switch QC issue as long as they stand behind their products. For all we know, they've already identified the issue and have changed switch suppliers.

EDIT: I'm going to contact Inforce CS right now and point them to this thread to see if they have anything to say about it.

DWood
09-25-14, 10:15

Mine is the same and has not had any drain issues.

Plumber237
09-26-14, 20:44
Just got my light back today (not sure if repaired or total replacement), that was a very quick turn around. If this one gives me no issues inforce just gained a lifelong customer with their great customer service.

Shao
10-12-15, 06:05
Just got my light back today (not sure if repaired or total replacement), that was a very quick turn around. If this one gives me no issues inforce just gained a lifelong customer with their great customer service.

So, it's been awhile - any updates? Anyone else send their lights in and get a working one? I started a thread with a new theory - I have five of these now and have noticed that 2 exhibit this draining behavior - one much worse than the other. Both are the GRAY models, constant on, strobe, no IR. One drained the battery in probably about 6 months (which is why I probably never noticed it in the first place - I usually swap cells out regularly), the other maybe 2 or less. All of my black models have been 100% and even using a ZTS battery tester, they show as being almost full.

I'm not so sure now though since people have reported the same problem with the newer WMLx models...

I'll be contacting Inforce today to see if I can get my gray drainers replaced.

K1tt3n5
10-12-15, 18:58
hsp model has been going strong since 5/3/14, just ordered another one.

ARDeputy
10-16-15, 22:40
My HSP model from early 2013 is solid. Has anyone experienced issues with the hand held lights? I'm considering the 6vx for EDC

MajorLonghorn
10-28-15, 21:55
So, it's been awhile - any updates? Anyone else send their lights in and get a working one? I started a thread with a new theory - I have five of these now and have noticed that 2 exhibit this draining behavior - one much worse than the other. Both are the GRAY models, constant on, strobe, no IR. One drained the battery in probably about 6 months (which is why I probably never noticed it in the first place - I usually swap cells out regularly), the other maybe 2 or less. All of my black models have been 100% and even using a ZTS battery tester, they show as being almost full.

I'm not so sure now though since people have reported the same problem with the newer WMLx models...

I'll be contacting Inforce today to see if I can get my gray drainers replaced.
I have two WMLs, a black one and a gray one. My gray one does, in fact, drain batteries like crazy. I've settled for unscrewing the cap because I'm not sufficiently motivated to send it off for repair. I have, however, used it and then forgotten to loosen to cap afterwards, leading to more dead batteries. At some point I'm just going to replace it with something else, but you can be sure that it won't be another Inforce product.

Budget
12-08-15, 22:50
Sample size of one, but my HSP model (PD trade-in unknown age) has been sitting for 6 months on the battery that came with and works just fine.

Grease Monkey
01-01-16, 16:52
Haley FDE here, had it 2 ish years and it's been fine until recently. Kills batteries in no time flat. I have no idea why it was fine then started this shiz. Sucks because I liked the light. Anyway, ditching it for a sure fire.

concreteguy
01-01-16, 18:00
Haley FDE here, had it 2 ish years and it's been fine until recently. Kills batteries in no time flat. I have no idea why it was fine then started this shiz. Sucks because I liked the light. Anyway, ditching it for a sure fire.

That stinks considering that I just got one for Christmas. Did you contact Inforce?

Sent from my buckeye using Tapatalk

Grease Monkey
01-01-16, 20:27
No, I will at some point. I'm sure it's out of warranty seeing as how long I've had it. Hopefully yours will be ok. Most seem to be I'm guessing or I'm sure there'd be a lot more chatter about it.

shadow93
01-04-16, 08:36
Thought I would add to this thread. Don't remember if I had previously or not.

So I have the black Haley version of the WML (momentary only) on my AR. I bought it within the month that they came out and its been on the gun since then. I've never had it in lockout mode and its still on the original battery. I just tested it yesterday and its as bright as it was when I got it so theirs no noticed drain.

I moved into a new house about a year ago where the design of it makes more sense for me to use the Glock/x300U for the HD gun instead of the AR which is probably why the battery has lasted so long to begin with.

I love the design of the light and its switchology still but if I rebought a new light for the AR it would probably be a SF with more lumens. I know the WMLx has more lumens but for the same price point I could be at a SF with more lumens and no chance for the battery drain issue. Not that I've heard of anyone with that problem in the X models but still.

Shao
01-04-16, 09:09
I have two WMLs, a black one and a gray one. My gray one does, in fact, drain batteries like crazy. I've settled for unscrewing the cap because I'm not sufficiently motivated to send it off for repair. I have, however, used it and then forgotten to loosen to cap afterwards, leading to more dead batteries. At some point I'm just going to replace it with something else, but you can be sure that it won't be another Inforce product.

So that's a confirmed gray unit that's draining. Thanks for sharing.

No, I will at some point. I'm sure it's out of warranty seeing as how long I've had it. Hopefully yours will be ok. Most seem to be I'm guessing or I'm sure there'd be a lot more chatter about it.

I admit that I bought a broken one off of Ebay as a Buy it Now deal for $70, sent it into Inforce and got a new model (black) that isn't a drainer. They're CS is excellent and they stand behind their products. Which reminds me... I need to call in these two gray units I'm still rocking.

gunf1ghter
01-26-16, 17:39
Hey guys, from reading this thread I am left confused as to whether current shipping versions of this light still have a battery drain problem. I have an X300 currently which I'm quite happy with but am considering the Inforce WML for a 12.5 HD carbine in the 12 o'clock position which will be stored for weeks/months at a time. WML piqued my interest as it's a bit less tall than my X300 and I prefer to run my optic at full co-witness height.

Is there any way to tell the "good" from the "bad" versions of this light?

LGS has two black and one tan one in stock, all priced well ($129) and both are the momentary/constant on versions.

MajorLonghorn
01-26-16, 17:48
I have a grey WML with the battery drain. I took a chance on a WMLx recently and so far it's been fine. I have only heard of people having trouble with grey models, so if you get anything else, you will probably be okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

bighawk
01-26-16, 18:12
I had an FDE WMLX and had battery drain issues and had to send it back and it was replaced without hassle. Once I received a new one it did not have any problems however I sold it and went back to all Surefire products.

MajorLonghorn
01-26-16, 18:16
I had an FDE WMLX and had battery drain issues and had to send it back and it was replaced without hassle. Once I received a new one it did not have any problems however I sold it and went back to all Surefire products.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

shadow93
01-26-16, 20:51
Big Hawk, what color was the one you had issues with? I wish people would start posting that part of the information as insignificant as it sounds there seems to be a trend with the black models working fine and the issues being with the other colored models. Still no battery drain problems to report with my Haley model black momentary only model from the first batch run and original battery.

Honestly a collaboration between Insight and Surefire would be the bomb. Surefire reliability and indestructableness with the switchology of the WML series. I'd buy the hell outta that.

bighawk
01-26-16, 21:17
Big Hawk, what color was the one you had issues with? I wish people would start posting that part of the information as insignificant as it sounds there seems to be a trend with the black models working fine and the issues being with the other colored models. Still no battery drain problems to report with my Haley model black momentary only model from the first batch run and original battery.

Honestly a collaboration between Insight and Surefire would be the bomb. Surefire reliability and indestructableness with the switchology of the WML series. I'd buy the hell outta that.

If you read it again you'll see I did that..

bighawk
01-26-16, 21:19
I also had one of the original Haley Strategic models in black and it was great for about 2500 rounds before I sold it. Also used it in one night class with the same battery all the way through.

shadow93
01-26-16, 21:47
If you read it again you'll see I did that..

Sorry I did miss that :fie: Add that tally to the FDE models having issues.

44Dave
01-27-16, 11:44
I purchased a black wmlx from Primary in December with no drain problems.

shadow93
01-28-16, 09:50
Slight thread drift, but for anyone that has or had both the WMLx and the original WML how much can you tell the difference in Lumens when you use it? Is it worth the upgrade or no?

bighawk
01-28-16, 20:08
Slight thread drift, but for anyone that has or had both the WMLx and the original WML how much can you tell the difference in Lumens when you use it? Is it worth the upgrade or no?

I previously owned both and much preferred the WMLx as it is considerably brighter and reaches out quite a bit farther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk