PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: SWFA 1-6, USO 1-4 or NF 1-4

Vorpalis
04-21-14, 23:22
I'd like advice choosing my first magnified optic. The contenders are a SWFA 1-6x, a U.S. Optics 1-4x SN-4S, and a Nightforce NXS 1-4x. I'll use it at the range and for 3-Gun, mostly 200 yards and in, but I'd like to be able to push it out to 600. I'm pretty well set on the SWFA due to its reticle. I also haven't heard a bad thing about its glass or build quality, and the price is hard to beat. However, I've heard legends about the quality of USO and NF, and I can get a gently used USO SN-4S or NF NXS 1-4x for about the same price as the SWFA. I've already read all the internet has to offer. If anyone has first-hand experience with these, I'd like to know your thoughts: is there anything about the USO or NF that's worth giving up an extra 2x?

Thank you!

teutonicpolymer
04-22-14, 01:54
I would get a Vortex HD 1-6x for what your budget sounds like

Failure2Stop
04-22-14, 07:58
The USO 1-4 is my favorite 1-4x. USO has really stepped up in the illumination department with the C series. I am a huge fan of the DFP, however, the complexity of manufacture was apparently not worth the effort. I like to mention this as much as possible in the hope that they will bring it back.

The SWFA is a good value, and gives 2x more magnification (obviously).

I would choose either over the NF, the USO is overall better, and the SWFA is a better value.

Of course, the NF and USO have proven to be highly robust, whereas the SWFA has not been tested (to my knowledge). Of course, there are numerous examples that are in the hands of folks that beat on their gear, but they have not been subjected to mil level testing across the production run that others have. If this is a factor in the decision, it bears consideration.

Vorpalis
05-14-14, 17:12
I ended up getting a Leupold Mk6 1-6x20mm with TMR-D after selling a few things and finding a great price on one. Thanks for the advice!

GotAmmo
05-15-14, 21:26
I ended up getting a Leupold Mk6 1-6x20mm with TMR-D after selling a few things and finding a great price on one. Thanks for the advice!

could you report back with what kind of distances you are getting out of the mk6? Magnification wise, how's the view and such

I'm wanting to upgrade my 308 optic from the 1-4 that is currently on it.

Vorpalis
05-16-14, 01:41
could you report back...

Absolutely! I've been planning to do some sort of write-up on it, including pictures, once I get it mounted and shoot it. It's my first magnified optic though (I also have a Meprolight M21), so I don't have much experience to compare it to. That being said, if you have any other questions you'd like me to address, or specific pictures you'd like to see (there aren't many photos of the TMR-D reticle online), let me know. What 1-4 do you have on your .308?

Vorpalis
05-16-14, 01:42
could you report back...

Absolutely! I've been planning to do some sort of write-up on it, including pictures, once I get it mounted and shoot it. It's my first magnified optic though (I also have a Meprolight M21), so I don't have much experience to compare it to. That being said, if you have any other questions you'd like me to address, or specific pictures you'd like to see (there aren't many photos of the TMR-D reticle online), let me know. What 1-4 do you have on your .308?

GotAmmo
05-16-14, 20:27
I'm sporting a 1-4 Burris MTAC at the moment. It was a quick fix at the time as I was planning to head out on a hog huntin trip