PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake/Compensator Decisions?

jerhelo
04-22-14, 15:02
I recently picked up three new Muzzle Break/Compensators and figured I would get some thoughts on placement.

I bought a BCM Mod 1, a Lantac Dragon and a Griffin Armament M4SD II.

The rifles they are for are one mid length 1/7 twist 16" barrel and two Carbine Length 1/7 twist 16" barrels.

Thoughts on the brakes???? I figured I would try the three and pick various combinations before I start outfitting other rifles. I have generally just ran the standard A2 so I am expecting a slight improvement in recoil management from either of them.

Thank you in advanced.

Eurodriver
04-22-14, 15:27
You want us to tell you which muzzle devices to put on rifles based on their barrel length and gas system?

Why don't you start by telling us what you want these rifles to do...

jerhelo
04-22-14, 15:39
Good point, the mid length has a Mark 4 2.5-8 that I shoot mainly longer range, 200-600 yards. I am looking to lessen the recoil slightly and keep my flash to a minimum. Was planning on running the Lantac on this rifle.

#1 carbine has a aimpoint M4, I generally shoot three gun mostly and use more of a rapid succession shooting, trying to better stay on target with minimal muzzle climb. Was planning on running the Griffin on this rifle.

#2 carbine is running a Trijicon TA33 for now and I use for three gun as well and am trying to achieve the same goal as the #1 carbine. Was thinking about running the BCM on this rifle.

I was mainly looking for opinions from those that are actually running these devices and their thoughts on the their performances.

ColtSeavers
04-22-14, 15:55
The mid length should get the bcm comp.

The primary 3gun carbine should get the lantac dragon.

The secondary 3gun carbine should get the m4sdII.

In my inexperienced opinion only.

jerhelo
04-22-14, 15:56
Can you elaborate on this a little, what is the reasoning? That was close to my original plan until I got the breaks and was looking them over.

MistWolf
04-22-14, 15:59
I think you will only know by shooting the rifles with the muzzle devices mounted to see how each performs

jerhelo
04-22-14, 16:01
True, I guess it is only a few extra crush washers....I would still very much welcome opinions on the breaks from those using them.

ColtSeavers
04-22-14, 16:08
Can you elaborate on this a little, what is the reasoning? That was close to my original plan until I got the breaks and was looking them over.

If you are referring to me, the reasoning is as follows;

Lantac dragon is blasty as hell but there is no muzzle movement. Large flash signature coupled with outstanding muzzle control would be for competition setting where it's not a concern.

Bcm comp does a good job of reducing recoil while also reducing flash signature. Perfect for longer range shooting where flash is a concern.

M4sdII is essentially a battlecomp. Great muzzle control with random flash reduction. Perfect for competition where muzzle control is moreso necessary while flash signature is not a concern.

However, as Mistwolf stated, every rifle and shooter is different and the only way to truly know what works best for you for each is to give them all a shot on each rifle really.

jerhelo
04-22-14, 16:15
I have heard that about the Lantac, I was debating between the Lantac and the Surefire when I bought it, maybe I should have gotten the surefire.

Obscenejesster
04-22-14, 19:37
I think you made a good choice on the Lantac... From what I've heard, it performs slightly better than the Surefire when it comes to recoil and muzzle climb. They're both concussive as hell and breath fire like no tomorrow. They don't call it the Dragon for nothing.

From personal experience, I love the M4SD II Flash Comp. It keeps the muzzle flat and controls the flash as good as an A2 most of the time. The reason I say most of the time because under rapid fire, every 5 or so rounds it will flare up. I think it has something to do with trapped gas inside of it. If you keep the rounds slow and steady there is little to no flash. It is a good device to use for a multipurpose build as it keeps the flash down when doing precision work and let's you open it up during CQB keeping the muzzle flat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MiamiCracker
04-22-14, 20:19
I have a BCM Mod 1 on my middy, it works well eliminating muzzle rise. I do want to try a Griffin Flash Comp for my next build.

jerhelo
04-22-14, 20:23
I am getting that from others as well about the Lantac. Have you had any experience with the BCM???

Obscenejesster
04-22-14, 20:28
I am getting that from others as well about the Lantac. Have you had any experience with the BCM???

I shot with one before. It is probably the quietest comp I've ever shot but I wasn't that impressed. This is coming from a BCM fanboy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Blak1508
04-23-14, 19:21
I am in the same boat with MD decision. I recently got a IWI Tavor and am in the process of 2 builds. First the Tavor, since the tavor is so short on the arm I am looking for something that will do a decent job at limiting flash and meanwhile migrating muzzle rise. I am going to give the Tavor a try in 3 guns so this will be used in comps. I shot the Tavor this past weekend just to see how she runs and I am happy with it but keeping the MD in mind felt that changing out the A2 is something that I may want to visit in order to get the rifle tuned best for me, I know shooting many rounds will yield these results but I am attempting to see if changing the MD will help at all with the fine tuning, not very much muzzle rise or recoil but compared to my AR's its a bit more, and that bit is noticeable, even with regards to the 5.56 round being minimal.

For my 2 builds, I have a BCM Mod 0 on a DDm4V1 that has about 3000 rounds with the MD attached. I also have a BCM middy build with a 16 inch barrel that wears a BC 1.0. Personally I am having better results with the BCM mod 0, but those rifles are not apples to apples, Middy/Carbine gas systems, one with a A5 kit he other with a standard H-3.
I find the BC a tad more stout than the BCM mod 0 and I also had to time the BC 1.0 a bit to get the best results which is not really an issue just what worked for me. ( The 1.0 is timed almost at the 1:00 position.)

So on hand I have a spare BCm mod 0 and a few A2's I was thinking about putting the BCM mod 0 on the Tavor and experimenting with the other builds. I have also heard great stuff about the DRAGON. I think as though it will be too front heavy on the Tavor. One build will be either a 14.5 middy or a 16 middy, the other I am getting SBRed and have not really made a solid decision on barrel configuration so I am not nearly as ready to pull the trigger on a MD for that. The SBR may be used to shoot comps but the 14.5-16 will jut be a course, range rifle that I will only be stretched to 300 M

I know asking for advice on MD's is like asking what underwear I should buy for my wife, unless you all have a solid picture of her you would all say something different. :cool: But any thoughts on provided info would be appreciated and specially for the Tavor. I respect that this is AR general discussion but figured it ties into the conversation. If this needs to go to another thread I will gladly move it. Thanks all for your information.

jerhelo
04-23-14, 20:52
Yeah, it is quite the conundrum. Wishing I had just bought one to try at a time now. I am thinking about changing the the order of install.

My DD version 5 mid length w/Vltor A5 is going to get the BCM MOD1
My DD Version 1 Carbine is going to get the Dragon
My custom carbine w/Vltor A5 is going to get they Griffin....

I am still debating between the two carbines but pretty sure on the version 5.