PDA

View Full Version : LMT BUIS change???

mopar
05-30-08, 14:34
Did LMT change they're BUIS. Look at my pics. The sight on theLeft came on an LMT factory rifle the one on the right came from a forum member used. The factory one has steel wing protecting the aperature and a solid base. The other one has a machined aluminum wings and is hollowed out bottom is this real or is it a chinese airsoft copy? The member I bought from will take it back no cost to me shipping or anything so I'm not worried about the transaction just wondering about the quality of the sight.

http://webpages.charter.net/sweddeke/LMT%20Upper/BUIS-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/sweddeke/LMT%20Upper/BUIS-2.jpg

markm
05-30-08, 14:38
WOW! I'm suspect of the hollow body construction. That could be some knock off cast version.

By "wing" do you mean the part that says "up" and "down" on it? If so, there's no damned way that should be aluminum!

mopar
05-30-08, 14:52
WOW! I'm suspect of the hollow body construction. That could be some knock off cast version.

By "wing" do you mean the part that says "up" and "down" on it? If so, there's no damned way that should be aluminum!
Exactly what I thought also. But I wasn't sure if they maybe changed their design as they are making a lot more stuff in house.

tiger seven
05-30-08, 14:56
Every LMT rear sight I've ever seen (including mine) looks like the one on the left. The one on the right definitely looks airsoft to me.

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=6

Derek

CHoffman
05-30-08, 15:56
Mine also looks like the one on the left. The other one looks like the 'CQB Rear Sight' from ebaybanned.com.

SarcoBlaster
05-30-08, 16:04
I re-zeroed my LMT BUIS just yesterday so I didn't unmount it to have a look underneath, but it looks like the one on the right. The part with "UP" and "DN" on it isn't steel (didn't attract a magnet). My sight was purchased online from a very reputable dealer, so hopefully it's the real deal...

CHoffman
05-30-08, 16:45
I think the best solution would be to e-mail LMT and ask. I'm sure they would know :)

SarcoBlaster
05-30-08, 17:05
I just sent LMT an e-mail asking for clarification as to whether there are two versions or if one is a counterfeit. If I get a response before this issue is sorted out here, I'll be sure to let you guys know. Stay tuned.

ChristopherM4
05-30-08, 17:23
I'm curious to know as I also just bought a sight from a member(I'm not saying its fake just want to know). Mine looks like the one on the right that is hollowed out.

Thanks,

Topher

I just sent LMT an e-mail asking for clarification as to whether there are two versions or if one is a counterfeit. If I get a response before this issue is sorted out here, I'll be sure to let you guys know. Stay tuned.

markm
05-30-08, 17:45
I have a really hard time believing that LMT would use a non steel app housing.

And I'm no expert on forging, but that hollowed out thing can't be forged. It has to be a casting from what I know of the process.

mopar
05-30-08, 21:13
Yeah but look at other sights such as ARMS, Larue, MI, YH and Troy I believe they're aluminum also. The reason I thought it might be a redesign as it looks to have a upgrade if you look at the underneath. On the hollowed out one there is an extended tab right after the bolt and that looks like it will fit right into the next rail slot which would help the sight go back to zero when re- attaching after removing it.

http://webpages.charter.net/sweddeke/LMT%20Upper/BUIS-3.jpg

markm
05-30-08, 23:21
No way. It'd be painfully obvious if you tried to remount your Iron in the wrong position. That... and the fact that the LMT is designed NOT to have to be removed.

The deal breaker is the aluminum app housing. No way is that acceptable. I've only messed with LaRue and ARMs. LaRue could get away with it because it's not a true A2 field sight. It only has windage adjustabiliy.

In any case, I'm interested to see what LMT has to say.

AllAmerican
05-31-08, 06:33
I would lile to know what LMT says to....
Maybe one of the LMT dealers could shed some light???

C4IGrant
05-31-08, 08:55
Did someone call for an LMT dealer??? :D

Yes, LMT has changed their rear BUIS's. They are now hollowed out and weigh in at 3.8 ounces. This is quite a bit lighter than the older model.

C4

Pics of a L8A pulled off a new LMT complete carbine

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/L8A.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/L8A1.jpg

mopar
05-31-08, 09:17
Thats kind what I figured after looking it over. The notch on the base is nice as it keeps the sight from moving to the front and back as just the bolt would have a little give. I just wished they would have kept the steel around the apperature. I should have known by the little detail such as the ball detent between the sight base and apperature which keep pressure on it to remove the wiggle airsoft wouldn't have kept that kind of detail.

The older one comes in at 5.25 ounces so about an 2.5 ounces of weight savings.

tiger seven
05-31-08, 09:59
For once, I'm glad I was wrong. :)

Thanks, Grant.

Derek

Stretz Tactical Inc
05-31-08, 12:00
I have another question about LMT rear sights. A friend of mine won a Stag arms that came with an LMT rear sight. His instructor at work zeroed the rifle for him (he has the rifle on loan to the dept for patrol use - small part time pd) and the windage is all the way too one side. It was zeroed using the smaller apeture and when I flipped it to the larger appeture, it wouldnt go down all the way. The space machined out allowing the sight to flip, wont let it flip down, because it is so far to one side. What gives?

theJanitor
05-31-08, 12:12
i bought a CWS from LMT earlier this year. it has the hollowed out sight body but DOES NOT have the rail positioning lug underneath. was there more than one revision of the rear sight recently?

SarcoBlaster
05-31-08, 14:12
Gene Swanson from LMT just e-mailed me and said: "They are both authentic."

*Edit* Oops, didn't see that Grant had already addressed the issue.

markm
06-02-08, 08:55
Wow! That's surprising.

I'd have to check one out before I completely condemn the thing, but I can't see an aluminum app housing being very strong at all. I think I'd take the extra couple of ounces to have a stronger sight. :confused: