PDA

View Full Version : Help with a purchase decision (j-frame)

decodeddiesel
04-22-14, 18:48
OK, I am on the fence here and need some advice. I've managed to sell off some holsters and other crap I had sitting around and have put together some money to purchase a new firearm, or two. I have been carrying an M&P9C for 5 years now IWB and AIWB. Recently I have seen the need to supplement this pistol with a BUG/deep cover piece for work situations where carrying IWB is not possible. After a lot of research, and trying out friends' guns and rentals (LCR, LCP, Kahr 380 and 9mm, etc.) , I narrowed my choices down to a j-frame revolver. The issue is should I purchase a 442 no lock for ~$400 (after tax) and purchase a new G17 (for IDPA SSP), or try to find an M&P 340 for ~$800+ and essentially blow it all on one gun? Some talking points:

I shot 100 rounds of .38 +P FMJ out of the 340 M&P on my Birthday and absolutely fell in love with it. I've never been afraid of DA, and I shot the gun very well at 7 and 10 yards. Yeah the web of my thumb was a little sore, but I really enjoyed it and the soreness was a small price to pay.
I'm not planning on carrying .357s, rather short barrel +P Gold Dots. Still, the ability to shoot .357s and the beefier frame is appealing (even if it is painful).
I hate the sights on the 442, I consider them practically unusable. I love the sights on the 340, hitting a 3x5 at 7 yards on command was entirely doable. I will probably be adding CTC grips however.
From an aesthetics standpoint, I love the shrouded barrel on the 340. I think the 442 is beautiful in a functional way, but the 340 is just gorgeous to me.
The price gap is pretty significant, no matter how you cut it. I suppose once you figure in getting something like D&L sights on the 442 the gap closes up fast.
Weight difference seems insignificant.
.357 J-frame are damn hard to find at the moment, my preferred shop has a few no-lock 442s and 642s for $390 in the case.

Anything I'm missing here? Thoughts?

Hizzie
04-22-14, 18:55
Is weight a consideration? Ruger SP101 has a pinned front sight. So does the S&W 640. The 640 Pro has Novak Tritium.

decodeddiesel
04-22-14, 18:59
Weight is a huge consideration, and is what narrowed my choices down to the j-frames. Good suggestions, I've never fired a 640, but I love the SP101 for what it is. It's just too damn heavy for this application.

Hizzie
04-22-14, 19:11
Realistically you can have a good smith do up a custom front sight on that 442 for under a $100. My little 642 was worked over by Don Williams of The Action Works as an On-Duty BUG. Lots of miles on her. Needs a refresh of the tritium. To be honest I'll just have a gold bead installed.

decodeddiesel
04-22-14, 19:20
If I had access to a mill I am a competent enough machinist that I could cut the dovetail myself...if I had access.

The issue with sight install is not so much the cost of machining, but rather the insane shipping cost since I have to send the serialized frame. It would add up quick.

steyrman13
04-22-14, 19:52
I really like the 340 whether it is 340pd with fiber optic and 2oz less or just m&p340, wish mine had the no lock (i have removed mine, but wish it was not there in the first place). I like that i can shoot either 38/357 out of it.

decodeddiesel
04-22-14, 20:05
6 in one, half dozen in the other.

I know either the 340 or the 442 are good choices. I guess what I'm asking is, is the juice worth the $400 squeeze?

SeriousStudent
04-22-14, 21:48
My dos centavos: I'd get the 442 no-lock, and spend the money you save on holsters, the CT laser and practice ammo.

Maybe put a bit towards a class specifically aimed at pocket revolvers? Skintop911 has posted some very good threads on some of the classes he has taken, designed around the J-frame.

Just my two cents, like I said.

T2C
04-22-14, 21:53
I would buy the 442 no lock and $400 worth of ammunition.

You can't go wrong with a J Frame. Good hits at 25 yards is possible with the 442, even if your eyes are way past 50 years old.

decodeddiesel
04-22-14, 22:41
My dos centavos: I'd get the 442 no-lock, and spend the money you save on holsters, the CT laser and practice ammo.

Maybe put a bit towards a class specifically aimed at pocket revolvers? Skintop911 has posted some very good threads on some of the classes he has taken, designed around the J-frame.

Just my two cents, like I said.

I've been reading about Michael de Bethencourt for a good 6 months, and seen Skintop's reviews. I am trying find a good class to try to take this summer, and seeing how I carry an Emerson daily and am looking to pick up a j-frame, one of his hybrid classes might be a good fit.

So, the consensus is the 442 no-lock?

SeriousStudent
04-22-14, 22:47
Yup, Michael de Bethencourt is on my list of gentlemen to seek wheelgun training from. Never heard anything less than "awesome" about his J-frame training.

Claude Werner is another person I would check out as well. He's a member here, by the way. He's also got a blog you can subscribe to that has a lot of very good data and analysis.

Trifecta
04-23-14, 02:22
442 no lock is a no brainer, my EDC is a 637-2 that I removed the lock from, did a trigger/action job and changed the grips out for desantis clipgrips along with bobbing the hammer. I would of gotten the 442 originally but couldn't pass up the deal on my 637. My only suggestion would be to go for the 642 as I prefer stainless finishes but to each their own.

Oh, if you do end up with the clip grips... Do yourself a favor and put some bike tire innertube over it.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/bstegall31/20140301_160322_zps650894e1.jpg
My 637 on the left and my dads 638 on the right. Both are used as EDC's.

SteveS
04-23-14, 10:15
It is better to buy 2, 442 or 642 on sale than 1 of the fancy J frames. Beat the, bang them, slam them on the floor ,for up close and personal work you can't ask for more.

Doc Safari
04-23-14, 11:51
I didn't vote because I prefer the stainless finish of the 642.

It may be my imagination, but when I shot the 340 I could swear the trigger was smoother. I also like the integral laser.

I may get one of those at some point.

steyrman13
04-23-14, 11:56
I would definitely get the CT grip. So the 442 may be better for you especially if you're not worried about .357 capability.

Chubbs103
04-23-14, 11:59
If you look around, you can find the 442 PRO at very good prices. You might or might not find the moon clips appealling, but you will also get the stainless cylinder. Price difference I have seen for the upgrade has been negligable.

Chubbs

decodeddiesel
04-23-14, 12:17
I don't really care for stainless, but it's not a deal breaker. All things being equal, I would just rather have a 442 to a 642. However an exposed hammers is a no-go for me and what I want this revolver for. I would consider a 638 if I found a screaming deal on one, but I'm pretty sure they only make them with the lock which I really don't want. Thanks though for the replies.

The plan is that the gun will be carried in a pocket holster, Alessi ankle holster, or AIWB in a Dark Star Gear kydex depending.

I like the idea of a the 442 PRO and the full moon clips, but they are pretty difficult to find and when I have found them the dealers are asking full MSRP. I couldn't really see carrying a reload in a moon clip on my person in the summer (planning on a speed strip then), but the winter it might work. Still there are plenty of smiths who do the moon clip conversion for a pretty reasonable fee, so it might be an after thought.

CTC grips will be added immediately.

Quick Draw
04-25-14, 09:22
I can tell you like the 340 better although the majority of us would choose the 442 (I have a 642). At the end of the day it is your money and you are the only person you need to please so follow your heart.

BlaineD
04-25-14, 15:59
I am an admitted fan of the 442, but there is absolutely no way to blow this call. Whichever way you go you will be happy. With that said, I have regretted not buying what I truly wanted and having to settle. Buy the one you want. They will make more Glocks.

decodeddiesel
04-25-14, 20:23
Yeah, I know I can get a Glock at any point in the future really. I am wanting either a 17 or a 34 for SSP IDPA, but I could just run my Colt CCG 1911 in CDP this summer and be pretty happy.

I was pretty set on getting the 442 No Lock, 500 rounds of 38 practice ammo, a good pocket holster and a good AIWB holster, some speed loaders and call it a day. I just saw someone in my area selling a lightly used 340 M&P for $700 on Armslist. Which is damn tempting...

BlaineD
04-25-14, 20:28
Lol, I can't be much help cause I have a 442 and a 34. I really love that 442.

SeriousStudent
04-25-14, 21:34
Yeah, I know I can get a Glock at any point in the future really. I am wanting either a 17 or a 34 for SSP IDPA, but I could just run my Colt CCG 1911 in CDP this summer and be pretty happy.

I was pretty set on getting the 442 No Lock, 500 rounds of 38 practice ammo, a good pocket holster and a good AIWB holster, some speed loaders and call it a day. I just saw someone in my area selling a lightly used 340 M&P for $700 on Armslist. Which is damn tempting...

I have been very pleased with the pocket holsters from Steve at RKBA Holsters. They are very long-lasting, and really well made for the price.

http://rkbaholsters.com/pocketcarry.html

decodeddiesel
04-26-14, 12:51
I'll look into them SS, thanks for the suggestion. I have use a Nemesis pocket carrying small autos in the past, but was always kind of meh about the holster.

SeriousStudent
04-26-14, 14:47
I have a Nemesis, and it has the benefit of being somewhat more stable in some cargo shorts that have a much wider pocket. In a pair of regular pants, jeans or shorts, the RKBA works better for me. Sample of one, etc etc.

I really like Steve's work at RKBA, as he produces a holster that is specifically shaped for either right or left pocket carry. The Nemesis is ambi - ya saves money, but you give up something for that. Steve also builds them smooth side in, rough side out. So the draw is very fast and smooth, but the pistol is secure in the pocket and holster, due to the precise boning on the leather. I have never had a pistol slide out by accident. I have had a Nemesis do that once in a vehicle.

Plus they last really well. I think my RH holster is 7 years old, and the LH is about 3?

I also think he's a member here, but I could not swear to it.