PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Glock 23, gonna miss you

ggammell
04-22-14, 21:19
A detail strip at the range tonight led to he discovery of several broken parts. The locking block was broken in two, the trigger pin was missing a third and the locking block pin was broken in two in place. I shot it yesterday and it still fired with the broken parts inside. 6 months ago they replaced the extractor (i wore it out, it didn't break). The last detail strip was probably 18 months ago. Soon after that, I went to a Costa Ludus HE02 and blew threw 2300 rounds in three days. I've put about 150 rounds a month (at least) since then.

This gun was my first, issued to me when I graduated from the academy in December 2004. I've got probably 25,000 rounds through it. Tomorrow it gets turned back into the armory for good. They armorers might try to fix it but we are slowing buying more 22s than 23s. I'm going it miss it. At the same time, I'm happy to see it taken out of service. The last year has been filled with headaches of various kinds. (Word I got is that our chief isn't up for selling them back to officers or even trading them in for that matter).

mkmckinley
04-22-14, 21:23
Wow, interesting. Gotta get some pics of the broken parts before you turn it in.

Heavy Metal
04-22-14, 21:25
How often did you replace the Recoil Spring?

ggammell
04-22-14, 21:34
Wow, interesting. Gotta get some pics of the broken parts before you turn it in.

Tomorrow hopefully.

How often did you replace the Recoil Spring?

Well I think it's on its third. The first lasted forever (ie the armory didn't replace it for about 6 years. They may have but I doubt it). I've had two since oct 2010 (new armory management).

Heavy Metal
04-22-14, 21:40
Should have been changed ever 2,000 rounds per Glock. The original 23 was hell on them.

ST911
04-22-14, 22:04
I wore out my EDC ~1994 gen2 G23 in late 2012, having battered the frame to death. I had failed to replace the RSA often enough, and exacerbated the problem through a period of fascination with hot .40 ammo. Broken locking blocks and pins are characteristic of failure to PM in this way, though the round intervals such things appear can vary.

T2C
04-22-14, 22:28
Your Glock 23 may have another 15,000 to 20,000 rounds of service life left in it. I would be tempted to replace everything except the barrel, slide and frame and keep running it.

Azpilot
04-22-14, 22:59
Assuming the frame isn't battered to pieces, you're looking at less than $40 in parts. Understand it's the agency's decision...but if it still works...slap the parts in and drive on.

And yes...gen 3 and earlier .40s need RSAs every 2-3k. It's a $5 part.

ggammell
04-23-14, 05:27
I get the remaining service life. They might fix it. But it won't come back to me. The g22 will be a welcome upgrade for a variety of reasons. If I made a big enough stink they would probably fix it and return it but I'd rather move on a full size.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-23-14, 07:05
25,000 rounds of .40 is plenty good service. No reason for you to keep slugging along wondering when the next part will fail. Leave that to the next guy! LOL.

Ron3
04-23-14, 20:27
Sorry about your Glock. Probably could get it running again if you wanted to. Good reminder about recoil springs.

I didn't know Glock 23 recoil springs should be replaced every 2-3K rounds. I thought it was 5000 and keep my G19 on that schedule.

I suppose the Glock 32 .357 auto should also be on the 2-3K round schedule...

ST911
04-23-14, 20:36
These RSA-specific points are from a Glock AC AAR here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

The numbers on the gen4 RSAs should be read left, right, and then bottom. Reading them otherwise has created confusion. Those numbers are not the part number for the RSA, and using them as such will create confusion.
Gen3 and earlier RSAs may have a dash number (###-#). The dash number indicates that it is the current type. Those RSAs have Zytel added for additional heat resistance.
Replace gen3 and earlier RSAs at 2500 rounds. Replace gen4 RSAs at 5000.
The “12:00 test” remains in the curriculum to test the RSA.

ggammell
04-23-14, 20:44
Well new gen 4 G22 in hand. Armory guys were cool enough to take a few G23 mags I had extra and swap them for 22 mags. I will be starting a log on this one to keep accurate records for preventative maintenance.

I am having trouble getting the photos of the broken parts uploaded but I'll keep trying.

Heavy Metal
04-23-14, 21:03
Sorry about your Glock. Probably could get it running again if you wanted to. Good reminder about recoil springs.

I didn't know Glock 23 recoil springs should be replaced every 2-3K rounds. I thought it was 5000 and keep my G19 on that schedule.

I suppose the Glock 32 .357 auto should also be on the 2-3K round schedule...

The 19 is less harsh on springs than the 23 and the 32. You likely are ok replacing the 19 spring every 5K.

Azpilot
04-23-14, 21:22
You may already know this. But gen4 RSAs in .40 are recommended to be replaced at a 5-6k interval. They reportedly perform very well even beyond that, and Glock has seen 10k gen4 RSAs which still test close-to-new on test equipment.

The 2-3k recommendation is specific to "the previous model" weapons in .40. They're probably also a solid recommendation in .357 Sig (as they use the same RSAs as 9mm models).

bikerdog
04-23-14, 23:11
sounds like the RSA went way to long without being replaced. I have an early gen 3 glock 23 with almost 38k on it. the only thing I have had to replace on it was the trigger with trigger bar after it wore down.

black22rifle
04-23-14, 23:56
These RSA-specific points are from a Glock AC AAR here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

The numbers on the gen4 RSAs should be read left, right, and then bottom. Reading them otherwise has created confusion. Those numbers are not the part number for the RSA, and using them as such will create confusion.
Gen3 and earlier RSAs may have a dash number (###-#). The dash number indicates that it is the current type. Those RSAs have Zytel added for additional heat resistance.
Replace gen3 and earlier RSAs at 2500 rounds. Replace gen4 RSAs at 5000.
The “12:00 test” remains in the curriculum to test the RSA.

what in the world is the 12 o clock test?

Azpilot
04-24-14, 06:50
It's a function test taught at Glock Armorer's school.

Empty weapon
Rack slide
Pull trigger and hold to rear
Rack slide again. This time, ride the slide until the point where the barrel begins to lock up
Point weapon upwards at ~45 degrees to 90 degrees
Release slide the rest of the way

Note: if you didn't hold the trigger to the rear throughout the test, you didn't perform the test. The friction of the trigger bar (and the RSAs ability to overcome it) is critical to the test.

If the slide can move forward and completely lock up the action, the weapon passes. If it hangs or is sluggish in returning to full battery the RSA is toast. It's a very easy test to pass, but I have seen about a half-dozen weapons fail. A better plan is to replace RSAs on a round-count basis, rather than waiting for it to fail this test.

The test was conceived as something objective, since Glocks use captive springs and you can't look at spring length as an indicator of health. Likewise, Glock recognized that most people don't own equipment for testing spring force or rate.

.357sigger
04-24-14, 14:43
Not to derail the thread...Has anyone gone through the armorers course or recert recently? I am scheduled for mine in October and I'm curious what they say about new guns, the btf issues, etc. Feel free to pm if needed rather than discussing here. Thanks

markm
04-24-14, 15:37
Wow. I went to limited live fire on my beloved, old G22 gen 3. I have a clone of it in one of the bad brass to face, FTE G17s for practice. I recently swapped the RSA and shoot maybe a box per year. I don't want to gamble on Glock's current level of brilliance.

Azpilot
04-24-14, 17:34
BTF - no mention

G42 - many parts are different. Not yet covered in the armorers manual.
G41 - hooray. It's a Glock tac/prac in .45

"Warranty" is now 40k rounds, change your gen3 and earlier .40 RSAs every 2-3 k rounds.