PDA

View Full Version : So are new GLOCKs fine or what?

bb223
04-23-14, 14:33
I got rid of my 1993 G19 maybe 5 years ago and I have missed the ergos and natural shootability of the GLOCK ever since and I'm considering buying a new one. Not to mention nearly every style of sight setup or holster style is available for GLOCKs.

I just keep reading all these horror stories about new production GLOCKs and all these issues people are having with the new extractors GLOCK is using and I keep reading rumors about MIM strikers.

I understand the extractor issues and that it's a simple and generally free fix (though a handgun from a major manufacturer should work out of the box, without any silly parts swaps), but what is up with the strikers?

Are the strikers really MIM? Are there any reports from any reputable sources as to whether or not the "new" striker (MIM or not) is fragile or what is up with the chipping of the striker tip I'm hearing about? I've searched here and Google and it seems all I'm finding is the same posts by the same people but on different forums.

Oh pistol I'm looking at is Gen 3 17 if it matters.

Hmac
04-23-14, 14:49
I think current Gen 3 Glock 9mm are still hit-or-miss. Odds of getting a good one are likely to be be good, but not as good as the days when Glock paid closer attention to their manufacturing and wasn't cutting as many corners.

samuse
04-23-14, 14:50
All you can do is buy one and see what happens.

Everything but the slide an stamped parts are MIM.

bb223
04-23-14, 14:56
All you can do is buy one and see what happens.

That's about what I figured.

Sucks that's what it's come to though.

I'm likely going to buy new unless I come across a clean used older gun.

I was just posting to gain as much info as I can on any potential issues.

bighawk
04-23-14, 15:25
I just purchased a FDE Gen 3 G19 last week at Cabelas and took it out to the range and ran through 550 flawless rounds. I've read a lot of complaints about the newer glocks however mine ran like a gem. As far as the striker goes I'm not sure of that I took it out wiped it down quickly without any inspection and put it back together. I figured I'd just buy one and see what I got and it seems so far as if I got a good one.

decodeddiesel
04-23-14, 15:28
Here is a thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?150101-Glock-17-Gen-4-sorted-out-or-still-problematic) I started regarding Gen 4 G17s. Some data there you might be interested in.

one
04-23-14, 15:42
My agency has quite a few Gen 4 17's and 19's we got back in 2012 or so. There have been no problems whatsoever with any of the guns. They all arrived with the updated parts and corresponding numbers.

The only person on my agency that had a problem was me. I ordered in a 3rd gen 19 to avoid the problems with the gen 4 guns. In the time it took us to receive the order the gen 4 guns were updated and upgraded across their line. And the gen 3 guns began exhibiting problems. I had to upgrade it with the 30274 ejector and haven't had a problem since.

At this point I'd guy a gen 4 before a gen 3. Unless I could verify it's quality or that it had a newer ejector.