PDA

View Full Version : AR15 shell deflector on a "Heritage" build?

FredWH
04-23-14, 15:53
Would there be any opinions out there with the knowledgeable membership regarding coating the shell deflector's angled surface with a rubberized tool handle dip liquid to minimize scuffing especially "God forbid" using steel jacketed 5.56 or.223 ammo. Thanks ahead for help by the anticipated response of the distinguished membership!

wildcard600
04-23-14, 17:16
i dont see why it wouldnt work. but i guess i fail to see the point honestly.

markm
04-23-14, 17:55
No need. I'd be more concerned with protecting my brass... but even then... who cares? Brass dents fire form out anyway.

LewP
04-23-14, 18:47
I guess I don't associate pristine items with "heritage" or perhaps I just don't understand its meaning in this context.

Brass marks on the deflector are part of the "heritage" of that AR. It's like a kids cuddly toy that's had all the fur rubbed off in a particular spot. It shows it has been "loved".

The Godevil
04-23-14, 20:40
I saw someone use the fuzzy side of stick on Velcro on his shell deflector to protect his match brass from dents before...seemed to work pretty well.

Averageman
04-24-14, 02:55
Sounds like either the rubber or the velcro would work, but why?
The beauty of any tool is the legitimate wear you've put on it from good work.

markm
04-24-14, 08:36
Unless it's a rare or limited run production gun, shoot it. If there's a sentimental attachment, don't shoot it... and build a differnent gun to use and abuse appropriately.

eodinert
04-24-14, 09:07
If it's got a brass deflector, it hasn't got much 'heritage' anyway.

wildcard600
04-24-14, 17:17
Unless it's a rare or limited run production gun, shoot it. If there's a sentimental attachment, don't shoot it... and build a differnent gun to use and abuse appropriately.

agreed.

also some well placed duct tape would be a alternate solution and can be easily removed.