PDA

View Full Version : Trigger guard and grip mod on my G34

ptmccain
04-23-14, 18:25
I finally broke out the old Dremel and custom fit my Glock trigger guard and grip to my monster sized hands.

I can't tell you how much better the grip is for me now...it's actually quite an amazing improvement.

The Gen 4 beavertail allows me to get a very high grip and cutting out the guard for my middle finger on my shooting hand is simply fantastic.

While I was at it, I knocked off the goofy squared off corner on the front of the guard.

Next up, some grip tape on the entire grip.

If you've been considering doing this, do not waste your money by sending it off to have it done, just go out and buy a basic Dremel kit and have at it. Easy peasy.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/FMJ1911/20140423_181100_RichtoneHDR_zps9f764398.jpg

Magsz
04-23-14, 18:38
Yeah...no.

There is a huge difference between a professional undercut and that hack job that you did.

Functionally...they may be similar, but they are not the same. What experience do you have with undercuts done by Boresight, GlockWorx, Cold Bore etc?

SpankMonkey
04-23-14, 19:02
Your gun do what you want. But that looks like shit. If it works for you that is all that matters.

ptmccain
04-23-14, 19:59
Yeah...no.

There is a huge difference between a professional undercut and that hack job that you did.

Functionally...they may be similar, but they are not the same. What experience do you have with undercuts done by Boresight, GlockWorx, Cold Bore etc?

My, my....a bit touchy, aren't we? LOL.

ptmccain
04-23-14, 20:01
If it works for you that is all that matters.

Yup, precisely.

Magsz
04-23-14, 20:24
My, my....a bit touchy, aren't we? LOL.

Touchy? Hardly. I am just refuting some rather bold and absolute statements you made.

Care to answer the question?

ptmccain
04-23-14, 20:47
Dude...it's a Glock, not some kind of high end custom pistol.

If you feel you need to pay somebody to run a Dremel tool over your Glock....go for it.

matt7184
04-23-14, 21:06
It may be functionally very similar, but having a bit of experience from the professionals...their jobs do look better. Much better.

You took quite a bit of material off. Do you not have any durability concerns?

Magsz
04-23-14, 21:57
Dude...it's a Glock, not some kind of high end custom pistol.

If you feel you need to pay somebody to run a Dremel tool over your Glock....go for it.

You still didnt answer the question.

I do not disagree with the rest of your statement but the original comment was pure ignorance and unsubstantiated claim.

ptmccain
04-24-14, 06:10
It may be functionally very similar, but having a bit of experience from the professionals...their jobs do look better. Much better.

You took quite a bit of material off. Do you not have any durability concerns?

You are absolutely correct. I'm quite sure a professional grip/trigger modification looks a lot better. But honestly, I just didn't care at all about aesthetics since it is a Glock. I highly doubt I'd be as ready to take a Dremel to a 1,000 dollar HK or some other "wunderpolymer" gun.

Functionally...this works great for me.

I took my time emoving materials, pausing along the way, putting the slide back on and then dry firing it, while gripping it as I do when shooting, then removing more until it was right where I needed it to be to get a high hold with my very large hands, and fingers, and particularly the large middle joint on my middle finger on my dominant hand. I was a bit worried I was removing too much, but the polymer on the Glocks is very, very hard and the "thin" part is still solid as a rock with no flex in it. I also tried the handgun out in my Bladetech holsters I use for it and they both retain it just fine. I'm not worried about durability, and...at the end of the day....if some years down the line I feel a need to get a new frame...that's not a big deal either.

For me, this was the best way to customize the grip for my hand and fingers and that is why I did it. I'd encourage others not to be afraid to customize the trigger guard and grip for their hands.

I like a high hold and this is just right for my needs.

As always, YMMV.

policetested
04-24-14, 06:54
pt..you are right all you need is a Dremel...however it appears you have compromised the strength of the frame where you "scooped" the rear of the trigger guard. During recoil Glocks flex and if you shoot this pistol heavily, I fear your frame will crack.

ptmccain
04-24-14, 07:00
I doubt it, but ... we will see.

Trajan
04-24-14, 07:37
It doesn't look thin enough to break under recoil.

"I'd totally dig that awesome crescent wrench that works better for me, but it looks ugly as hell".

Really guys?

tonyxcom
04-24-14, 14:07
I'd be concerned with how thin you went next to the mag release. But like you said, its just a Glock.

bates
04-24-14, 15:45
I applaud your effort to do your own work and tackle this project yourself

While there are a lot of hack jobs you will waste your money on, I could never encourage anyone from using a true pro out there or say it’s a waste of money.

I don’t consider this a waste of hundreds and know I could never come close to turning out a similar product

Boresight Solutions Trigger Guard undercut and Mag release scallop

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/cbbates3/58F1CC8C-2BB7-49FA-BC3B-6F64C0B8477E-652-000000F0FD28F45C_zpsad4b6892.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/cbbates3/media/58F1CC8C-2BB7-49FA-BC3B-6F64C0B8477E-652-000000F0FD28F45C_zpsad4b6892.jpg.html)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/cbbates3/38193BE4-BB86-4A21-926B-BCB4A9D56927-2358-0000040DC163DD4D_zpseb7f607b.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/cbbates3/media/38193BE4-BB86-4A21-926B-BCB4A9D56927-2358-0000040DC163DD4D_zpseb7f607b.jpg.html)

l8apex
04-24-14, 18:01
I can comment on this since I do have a G19 done by Boresight, and one I did about almost two weeks ago with a Dremel, finishing sand paper, and a soldering iron. I'm not a machinist, but I'm guessing having a bench grinder and a heat gun would help make the job easier and more precise. When I first started removing material it looked like yours. Slowly worked and shaped until I got something that works fairly well. It's key to use higher grit dremel bits to help smooth out the process then follow with finishing sandpaper. My soldering kit came with a razor, used that along with painters tape to mark off where I wanted the stippling to stop. Not as defined as Ben's work, but good enough for me and others that want me to do the same to their Glocks & MPs. Left the GFA pin in so I wouldn't over stipple that area.

Make sure to leave the tang area as smooth [very fine stipple] as possible if you are going to stipple that area, shooting with aggressive stippling in that area will make slide bite seem like a kitten -did this and corrected it with a candle and silicon oven mitt. Learned a lot and probaly will never send another pistol out for a reduction again. Good on you giving it a shot as well! As always YMMV.