PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Your PPQ M2 mag release may be assembled incorrectly.

Noodles
04-24-14, 12:39
I made this post on the WaltherForums already, but figured it might not reach some people over here.

So while I was doing a FULL strip down of a PPQ for an article I'm working on. I noticed something about one of my PPQs. Before I had started I noticed one M2's mag release worked completely silently. Another, clicked, when pressed in whether there was a mag or not.

About 2/3 of the way pressed in, a click, a tiny tactile pulse, and then it proceeded to be pressed in again.

Repeatable. Every time, a distinct click at the same spot in the button's travel. Upon reassembling the entire gun, I discovered that even after I lube and checked the components, one gun clicked still.

For fun, I went and looked at 3 local PPQs. Two silent, one clicked. I doubt this is a wide spread problem, but it's interesting none the less. I'll forward to Walther so they can pass it on if desired, but my guess is this is something they may have already found and fixed in the assembly process.

Cause:
The issue is that the long thin mag release spring can bind if not properly seated during assembly. That bind and overcome causes the click and tactile pause on the mag press.

Solution: If you have a gun that does this follow these steps:

1. Disassemble the mag release using the manual as a guide. There are three parts to this assembly, the mag release button, spring, and cap.

2. Start to reassemble the mag release on the preferred side.

3. Start the spring in the center of the longer mag release part, there is an indented cup for it. Slide the mag release into the PPQ's frame, do not use the cap yet.

4. Adjust the assembly until you can press the mag release with no click. You may need to re-seat the spring several times until you get it right, it may be silent and correct the first try.

5. Once it's right and only when it's right, push the cap on the open side and snap into place. Done.

Normally I wouldn't bother posting anything like this, except that I had one gun it happened to, and found another gun at a local store that did the same thing. So it's likely to assume there may be one or two more out there.

Found a couple more since posting this originally, so they're definitely out there.

Noodles
04-28-14, 12:58
No one here has a clickly mag release? I've found a bunch so far... Oh well. Info is out there. Hope it helps someone else :D

jck397
04-28-14, 14:25
I just checked mine...I can hear the spring compressing, but no clicking. Thanks for the heads-up, though!