PDA

View Full Version : OOPS!

coburna
04-24-14, 19:41
Okay guys, Is this damage worth a worry? I was taking off my barrel nut in a vise (while using upper blocks) and when i took it out of the vice a little piece of the upper flaked off. It must have stressed the metal just enough?? Will this impede function or have i weakened the receiver? Thanks in advance!

Quick Draw
04-24-14, 19:45
From the pics my guess is cosmetic only. Perhaps IG or another expert/industry professional will chime in.

Leaveammoforme
04-24-14, 19:46
So... Everybody has got the bug huh? Reseting troll account passwords and posting silliness?

mtdawg169
04-24-14, 19:48
Degrease and apply aluma black.

coburna
04-24-14, 19:48
????????????????????????????????????????????
So... Everybody has got the bug huh? Reseting troll account passwords and posting silliness?

coburna
04-24-14, 19:50
Just applied it. Im not worried about cosmetics at all. Just function or did i stress the metal too much?

SpankMonkey
04-24-14, 20:14
You are fine. Enjoy your gun.

Quick Draw
04-24-14, 20:25

You lost me on this one. Are you implying your answer helps the OP.

Iraqgunz
04-24-14, 20:48
If you have something to add please do so in a way that everyone gets it.

markm
04-25-14, 08:35
I gots to think that there's NO friggin way that happened from barrel nut wrenching. Are you certain it didn't get dinged elsewhere and you just now noticed? Was the missing material there on the bench?

coburna
04-25-14, 08:42
Yes I'm sure it happened then. The shaving of metal was inside the block. It wasn't a chip. It was more like a shaving. Almost like the corner of the clamshell stressed it. The block is endented in as well. Maybe I didn't have it alligned 100%.whos knows. Again, I could care less about it as long as it won't cause a problem later down the line.
I gots to think that there's NO friggin way that happened from barrel nut wrenching. Are you certain it didn't get dinged elsewhere and you just now noticed? Was the missing material there on the bench?

markm
04-25-14, 08:48
Wow. Hard to say. I wish ESK or KLDavis could chime in on this. They have a little more knowledge in upper receiver stresses.

coburna
04-25-14, 17:50
Me too. I want an industrie pro's opinion. Thanks Everyone else!
Wow. Hard to say. I wish ESK or KLDavis could chime in on this. They have a little more knowledge in upper receiver stresses.

Stickman
04-25-14, 17:53
It's dead Jim.

While I have no doubt people are willing to tell you it is fine, or that you should be ok, I'll call BS on that and say no.

Noodles
04-25-14, 17:53
heh, if those were the worst marks on my gun I'd be doing pretty well.

Stickman
04-25-14, 18:07
heh, if those were the worst marks on my gun I'd be doing pretty well.

You stress fracture your receivers worse than that?

MistWolf
04-25-14, 18:21
Blend the damage smooth, then refinish the worked area. The ideal thing would be if you could treat it with Alodine then hit it with some paint. If the fracturing is localized, you'll be ok. If there is micro fracturing over a larger area, you could have problems. My guess, from looking at the photos, the fracturing is localized. 7075 forgings are pretty tough. But that's a guess. It should be fine to continue shooting but just keep an eye on it. If the fracturing continues, get a new upper receiver. (I deal with aluminum aircraft structures including forgings as a professional technician.) After blending but before applying Alodine or paint, examine the area with a strong light and at least a 10x magnifying glass for cracks. You can also use dye pen. Dye pen is probably over kill, but I'd rather advise you to use it and have you find nothing than tell you everything will be fine only to discover the damage is more extensive than first thought.

Blending will reduce the stress risers the damage has introduced. Blend it just deep enough to smooth out the damage and long and wide enough so there is a smooth transition to the undamaged area. Don't go crazy and don't over think it. By hand, blend with 180 grit emery cloth and water and maybe follow it up with 220 grit. You can tape off around the damage to control the size of the blended area

Noodles
04-25-14, 18:30
You stress fracture your receivers worse than that?

Not seeing a stress fracture in the picture. You sure you aren't maybe jumping to conclusions?

Stickman
04-25-14, 18:50
Not seeing a stress fracture in the picture. You sure you aren't maybe jumping to conclusions?

Yes, I'm jumping to conclusions, I've never actually held a firearm before, I just like to come here and pretend I'm cool like the rest of the girls.

ETA- Please post a picture of one of your carbines that has more damage than that, especially after your previous comment.

coburna
04-25-14, 19:02
Not saying i have a stress fracture. Just wondering if that chip from the block would cause the whole side of the receiver to become weaker.

coburna
04-25-14, 19:10
The pictures make it look way worse than it is. Showed colt the pics. For what it's worth , they saig it's GTG.
Blend the damage smooth, the refinish the worked area. The ideal thing would be if you could treat it with Alodine then hit it with some paint. If the fracturing is localized, you'll be ok. If there is micro fracturing over a larger area, you could have problems. My guess, from looking at the photos, the fracturing is localized. 7075 forgings are pretty tough. But that's a guess. It should be fine to continue shooting but just keep an eye on it. If the fracturing continues, get a new upper receiver. (I deal with aluminum aircraft structures including forgings as a professional technician.) After blending but before applying Alodine or paint, examine the area with a strong light and at least a 10x magnifying glass for cracks. You can also use dye pen. Dye pen is probably over kill, but I'd rather advise you to use it and have you find nothing than tell you everything will be fine only to discover the damage is more extensive than first thought.

Blending will reduce the stress risers the damage has introduced. Blend it just deep enough to smooth out the damage and long and wide enough so there is a smooth transition to the undamaged area. Don't go crazy and don't over think it. By hand, blend with 180 grit emery cloth and water and maybe follow it up with 220 grit. You can tape off around the damage to control the size of the blended area

markm
04-25-14, 20:22
Exactly how much muscle went into this? You'd know if you had to put your body weight into cranking on this thing.

coburna
04-25-14, 22:03
No body weight used. Just a grunt or two. Just put 200 rnds through it no problems and it looks the same.
Exactly how much muscle went into this? You'd know if you had to put your body weight into cranking on this thing.

556BlackRifle
04-26-14, 15:27
The pictures make it look way worse than it is. Showed colt the pics. For what it's worth , they saig it's GTG.

It may be GTG but I wouldn't trust it until I had it thoroughly checked out by a competent gunsmith. Preferably one who specializes in ARs.

I'm curious what clamp / vice you were using. I just ordered one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/444133/geissele-reaction-rod-ar-15-action-wrench-steel). I'll let you know how it works.

Noodles
04-26-14, 15:29

Well, how about that. Glad that's solved and worked out for you. I'm sure Colt knows what they are talking about. So good to go.

There is a term for similar-metal seperation (aluminum alloy to aluminum oxide (anodizing is just dyed (edit: and sometimes not dyed) controlled aluminum oxidization for the most part)) that I learned in a metallurgy class once. Forget what it is, but I do remember that it had a wierd name that back ally came down to "chipped". It was like a single blurb, during pages of info about dissimilar metal deformation - that's the sexy one anyone cares about.

Color it black and call it a lesson :)

Blackrifle above me is correct, those G rods are THE SHIT!

MistWolf
04-26-14, 16:31
Anodizing can be done without any dye (Class 1). Without the dye, the aluminum would be a dull grey

Blak1508
04-26-14, 18:42
Another vote for Geissele reaction Rod, great addition to the tool box, I am surprised Noodles shipped mine back to me a year ago;) Mine has come in handy many times and paid its value after one usage. I picked one up when they were still 69.99. IMO no AR tool box is complete without one. I have changed out rails, assembled uppers, gas block work etc. You will not regret it.

SeriousStudent
04-27-14, 01:17
OP has contacted the manufacturer, who let him know the carbine was safe to operate.

Since we now know there will be no giant conflagration and ensuing loss of life, let's put this one to bed, shall we?

Good night, everyone.