PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I've had enough. Where is the pistol powder?

Mauser KAR98K
04-24-14, 21:52
Thankfully I can find all the rifle powder I can get my hands on for precision loads, minus the right bullets. H335 and CFE223 have all of a sudden gotten harder to find in my neck of the woods.

BUT...where is the damn pistol powder!? My LGS got some CFE Pistol in, but I am unsure and am waiting for some reviews to come out before I plunge into it, considering the pressures Hogdon are noting are pretty high (same with the CFE223), plus wondering how they will fair with lead and plated bullets.

Where is the rest of the stuff? I am down to my last pound of bullseye and this shortage has gone for over a year now. Granted, i got a nice stash of some old Red-dot that still works, but the loads data I have for it doesn't match or show on my 9mm and some 45 loads.

This is getting me more stressed than .22lr shortage.

Coal Dragger
04-24-14, 22:48
I agree this is getting ****ing ridiculous. Can't find Power Pistol, can't find AA No. 5, no Win 231 to be had, Unique and 2400 are getting scarce too.

There is a 5lb keg of AA No. 2 at the LGS that is mocking me, but it doesn't show a lot of data for .45ACP loads so not sure what I'd do with it. I did find some AA No. 9 last night and bought a pound of it.

Steel head
04-24-14, 23:40
Pistol powder has been slim pickins for quite a while locally.
Red dot can be found and 296 shows up occasionally but that's about it.
Luckily I'm still decently stocked with WST and WSF but I will up that stock when more at a decent price shows up.

Onyx Z
04-24-14, 23:51
I agree, I need some more H110! I haven't seen it for MONTHS. Mine is for a 300BLK though..

Ttwwaack
04-25-14, 00:06
Been scrounging hard for 2400, H110 and little gun. Been out for over a year here. Also need a couple jugs of h322. Got primers and bullets, just need the gas.

NWPilgrim
04-25-14, 01:22
I would grab that CFE Pistol. According the the Hodgdon 2014 data magazine it is about the same speed as Power Pistol (my estimate) or Auto Comp, between Universal and HS6.

They comment that while it does not remove lead fouling, it shoots fine with lead.

Coal Dragger
04-25-14, 03:25
Been scrounging hard for 2400, H110 and little gun. Been out for over a year here. Also need a couple jugs of h322. Got primers and bullets, just need the gas.

I've had good luck getting H110 and Lil' Gun is available last I looked two nights ago, I think the LGS had about 5-6lbs of the stuff. I think he had a few pounds of H110 as well, but I already have around 1.5lbs left, as well as a pound of AA no 9, and some Alliant MP300 all of which are very close in burn rate. I also have over 2lbs of IMR 4227 which has been really nice in the .454 and almost a full can of 2400.

I am out of Power Pistol though, and I really like it for full powered .45ACP loads. The pound of HS-6 that I have started on will have to do for now. Then it will be on to the nearly 2lbs of Titegroup. I also looked at Accurate Arms loading data and found plenty of data for AA-2 so I think I might have to buy that 5lb canister and maybe a few of his 1lb containers as well since I may start reloading 9mm as well and it will work for both.

On the rifle side haven't had any issues getting IMR4350, IMR4831, or other slow burning stuff. Varget is a pain the ass, although my LGS has some at the moment, and Reloader 15 is unobtatnium, as is CFE223 (I have 9.5lbs of it left!).

Most of this stuff I had bough pre panic, and once supplies loosen up again I will add more to it as extra cushion. Sadly everyone else is of the same notion so it will be awhile before supplies open up.

Tzed250
04-25-14, 06:57
My LGS is getting more rifle powder lately, but the prices are high. I picked up a pound each of H4895 and W748. I passed on an 8lb CFE223 'cause it was too darn much. No HS-6, no CFEpistol, no HP-38, no H110, no Titegroup, etc. this lack of pistol powder is starting to suck.

opngrnd
04-25-14, 07:31
Can anyone chime in in the last time they actually saw HS-6 in person? If I hadn't bought two pounds from a buddy that had it sitting on the shelf, I'd have none at all. I did pick up two pounds of CFE PISTOL recently, but I'm hoping to find more HS-6.

markm
04-25-14, 08:59
We've used a little TiteGroup lately. I only load 45acp due to lack of time with all the rifle ammo I load.

Coal Dragger
04-25-14, 12:05
Can anyone chime in in the last time they actually saw HS-6 in person? If I hadn't bought two pounds from a buddy that had it sitting on the shelf, I'd have none at all. I did pick up two pounds of CFE PISTOL recently, but I'm hoping to find more HS-6.

I bought a pound of HS-6 about a month ago, at my LGS. He's out of it now and has no idea when he'll see more of it.

Khackee
04-26-14, 11:03
If you want to know where the pistol powder is, take a trip over to gunbroker. Titegroup is going for ~$50 per lb plus shipping. HS-6 is $35 lb in 10lb lots. H110 is going for $42lb.

May the fleas of a thousand mangy dogs infest their crotches.
And one guy obviously has a supplier because he was saying "I have to go on a road trip to pick it up."

I scored a bottle of Blue dot at my LGS a week ago for $26.
His shelves were scarce. Unless you reload .50cal. Then you're set

masan
04-26-14, 11:27
I have had good luck using the following website, you just have to be on your toes.

http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/powder/