PDA

View Full Version : Glue? in chamber on new rifle

MSpera
04-25-14, 10:15
Had a customer that other night that came out of the range and asked for help with his AR, wouldn't fire. Went in there and checked it out. Was a brand new Wyndham with 19 pounds of whizbang on it, and I thought "What did he screw up?"

Function checked OK, quick visual was OK, inserted mag and chambered one, and found out that it wasn't going into battery. Ejected the round and saw that the bullet now had a 90° gouge in it. Got my light and looked into the chamber and saw a bunch of crap in there.

I ran a bore snake through it, but it didn't help. Grabbed a brass rod and was able to knock some of the crap out and it looked like dried white glue. I cleaned the rest of it up, put it together, got a round to fire, went back to the shop. I heard him shoot one and then nothing. He came back and said it wasn't firing again, so when I looked in the chamber there was even more junk in it.

He said he was taking it back to where he got it the next day after all that, and wanted to know what we had for AR's. But I'm curious what that stuff could have been or what it was in there for. It was white like glue and no other tint to it. And more showed up after it was fired...

markm
04-25-14, 10:49
Wow. Maybe someone with a full knowledge of barrel finishing and chroming may know where that could have happened.

Wolfpack45
04-25-14, 15:01
Seen and trouble shot quite a few problems, but that one is new to me. Never had a rifle jizz where it eats before.

wildcard600
04-25-14, 15:26
did you inspect the ammo he was using too ?

midSCarolina
04-25-14, 19:50
Does windham put any type of crap on barrel extension or inside the receiver in some type of quasi bedding procedure? if it were my rifle i would pull the barrel and see whats going on in there. Never have heard of anything like this before. You going to be able to be updated on the situation?

TangoSierra
04-25-14, 20:10
I have been seeing some of the lower cost rifles coming in with gobs of white greasy stuff in and around the chamber, charging handle, and pivot pin. It looks and feels like dielectric grease for electronic assemblies. I wonder if whatever they are using combined with heat and pressure from firing soldified.

Sent from my NSA Monitoring Device using Tapatalk 2.

mastiffhound
04-25-14, 22:13
Maybe some sort of Loctite? Some hammer banger may have just went overboard or something. You know if a little is good, 1000 times more is better! Or some guy probably wanted a break and emptied his bottle to go bullshit with the hot chick at the tool bin, I've seen that happen at a few factory jobs I had in my youth.

Averageman
04-26-14, 06:34
Very odd.
Since he was taking it back to where he bought it perhaps you could give them a courtesy call and ask if they have ever seen anything like that before.
Sounds like once you cleaned it up and then he fired it more appeared. I would look at the ammo first and then make that call.

Hank6046
04-26-14, 09:11
You said that he put on a ton of "Whiz Bang" on it, did he mess with the chamber, what lube or cleaner did he use? We see a lot of Windham in my shop and haven't seen anything like that before. I just know that some of these Mall Ninja's like to pick apart their rifles and mess with them for little or no reason, and that is what I can see happening here.

Averageman
04-26-14, 09:20
Maybe some goofy barrel "break in" stuff he read somewhere went bad ?

5.56Geo
04-26-14, 10:23
Could it have been a very small piece of some sort of plastic loaded chamber indicator that may have broke off and melted the first time it was fired? I know that a barrel obstruction can cause a kabOOm but may just small enough not to. ...just a thought.

556BlackRifle
04-26-14, 15:55
That's really weird. If you ever find out what it is / what caused it, please let us know. A guy I know from work has a Windham. They are made in the factory where the original Bushmasters were made and a lot of the former Bushmaster employees work there now. I've held and closely examined my coworker's rifle and ran one 30 round mag through it. I think for the money it's a freaking excellent rifle.

Hwikek
04-26-14, 15:57
Could it have been a very small piece of some sort of plastic loaded chamber indicator that may have broke off and melted the first time it was fired? I know that a barrel obstruction can cause a kabOOm but may just small enough not to. ...just a thought.

I'm afraid that is not possible.

MSpera
04-27-14, 00:10
He said that day was the first time he fired it, so I don't think it was leftover anything that was solidified. Not sure what ammo besides being .223.

The whizbang I referred to was a red dot, flop-off-to-side magnifier, a laser, an angled forward grip, a light, and something else. I've never heard of the brands besides the magpul afg. Don't think he messed with the chamber or had any reason to.

If he comes in when I'm there I'll ask him what happened with the rifle. He said he could've bought two of the FN15's that I showed him for what his Wyndham cost. I winced when he said that

Iraqgunz
04-27-14, 01:31
Windham is nothing more than Bushmaster reincarnated. They do still do the same old crap and use the same old garbage parts.

Bluto
04-27-14, 09:38
He could have been shooting simunition or cqt ammo or something similar.