PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Slimline and other New Products.

Pages : [1] 2

VIP3R 237
04-25-14, 13:35
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG347/60
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG538/184

Looks like a new line for magpul. I really like the look of the MOE SL stock, I think it will give the B5 Bravo a run for it's money.

BTL BRN
04-25-14, 13:40
Very much agreed, the stock looks really nice.

ETA - sans beard hair puller as well. :p

Toddler
04-25-14, 13:42
Stock looks nice.

markm
04-25-14, 13:44
That stock looks good.

Noodles
04-25-14, 13:45
Is that stock like the MOE with no locking/friction bar, or does their new latch not need that anymore?

The SL handguard looks good, but if they are showing 3D printed parts on their website, I suspect it'll be awhile.

Freedoooom
04-25-14, 13:58
Handguards are ugly and pretty big... Not sure whats a slimline about them.

VIP3R 237
04-25-14, 13:59
Also a new armorers wrench and block

http://store.magpul.com/category/116

Freedoooom
04-25-14, 14:03
Pistol grip: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG539/39

MrSunday
04-25-14, 14:09

I like the looks of both of these tools. Innovative

kdcgrohl
04-25-14, 14:13
The armorers block looks pretty interesting. The rest is... eh.
I am glad to see Magpul putting out some new stuff though.

markm
04-25-14, 14:14
I'm sure that wrench is as solid as a brick shit house, but $80 is high for a wrench with that few features.

I guess if you don't own a hammerhead and you're doing a lot of USGI barrel nuts though.... it might work for you.

556Cliff
04-25-14, 14:19
Their wrench has the torque specs listed on it.

It appears that 3 Ft/Lbs is listed for the castle nut.

WickedWillis
04-25-14, 14:24
Stock looks incredibly similar to the new HKMR556 A5 stock, which I love.

T.B.
04-25-14, 14:27
I like it. I will be buying the new hand guard for sure to put on my 6920 MPB. The MOE carbine hand guard just doesn't give enough room. This new offering addresses that nicely.

E-man930
04-25-14, 14:28
Their wrench has the torque specs listed on it.

It appears that 3 Ft/Lbs is listed for the castle nut.

Just about to say the same thing.. good catch.

pyzik
04-25-14, 14:28
I like the cut out on the handguards but they look larger than the MOE.

FeltaDorce
04-25-14, 14:37
This new SL handguard wraps around the front site post and provides much better forward hand access. I like my vertical grip 3x slots forward, and the standard carbine length is very crowded at the front. This fixes that issue nicely. I give my 2 thumbs up. Can't wait to buy and try.

Sean W.
04-25-14, 14:38

Maybe they mean the width, but I agree it doesn't look slimline at all.
I wish they added M-Lok slots on the gas block shield so I can put a light out further.

Beat Trash
04-25-14, 14:47
This new SL handguard wraps around the front site post and provides much better forward hand access. I like my vertical grip 3x slots forward, and the standard carbine length is very crowded at the front. This fixes that issue nicely. I give my 2 thumbs up. Can't wait to buy and try.

This is exactly what I have been waiting for them to do. It gives you an extra couple of inches on carbine length guns with fixed front sights.

I will be replacing the standard MOE hand guards on my spare carbines with this when it comes out.

ForTehNguyen
04-25-14, 15:05
Just about to say the same thing.. good catch.

dont forget the bottle opener on it for post assembly rejuvination

markm
04-25-14, 15:08
dont forget the bottle opener on it for post assembly rejuvination

I don't even start a build until I've tossed back 2. :sarcastic:

ForTehNguyen
04-25-14, 15:11
im looking for a new stock that has more cheek support than a MOE but less than an ACS-L. This SL MOE stock seems like it fits the bill. Would have to see them side by side

scottryan
04-25-14, 15:27
The handle on the wrenches is not long enough. Again we have a "do it all wrench" that doesn't have a long handle to break stuck barrel nuts free.

MistWolf
04-25-14, 15:28
...I wish they added M-Lok slots on the gas block shield so I can put a light out further.

I bet the Mossie Midnight Mount would be a perfect match with these new handguards
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0253.jpg

If you study the photos of the handguards on the carbine, you can see that they are barely bigger than the delta ring. That would make them just a tick smaller than the original MOE handguards. Interesting that the Slimlines partially cover the delta ring. Gives them a different look
http://store.magpul.com/images/uploads/266_1404_large.jpg

slappy
04-25-14, 15:42
They look quite similar to the Masada handguards. This would be a nice cheap alternative to carbine cutout rails. Being long armed, I may slap a set on one of my carbines when they release. I've often wondered why no one (magpul specifically) has released a carbine cutout handguard that would extend beyond the fsp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Axlnut
04-25-14, 15:44
Thank you - everywhere I've seen these mentioned someone posts that they are thicker/wider than current MOE handguards - studying the picture for a few seconds and reading the description and you find that is an illusion, and they would appear to be smaller in every dimension but length.

If you study the photos of the handguards on the carbine, you can see that they are barely bigger than the delta ring. That would make them just a tick smaller than the original MOE handguards. Interesting that the Slimlines partially cover the delta ring. Gives them a different look

556Cliff
04-25-14, 16:00
The handle on the wrenches is not long enough. Again we have a "do it all wrench" that doesn't have a long handle to break stuck barrel nuts free.

I think you are looking for this. > http://www.2uniquellc.com/#!product/prd5/1928621315/ar15-m16-barrel-nut-wrench

MistWolf
04-25-14, 16:09

How much longer do you need the damn thing? If you need more arm, it will accept a half inch breaker bar. I like MagPul's nod to the original Black Rifle, the FAL/SLR- a bottle opener that works on both inch and metric pattern caps

opngrnd
04-25-14, 16:25
I'm pretty happy about the handguard. I was actually thinking about how Magpul would go about it if they were going to make a handguard like this. I guess this answers my question.

Noodles
04-25-14, 16:41
How much longer do you need the damn thing? If you need more arm, it will accept a half inch breaker bar. I like MagPul's nod to the original Black Rifle, the FAL/SLR- a bottle opener that works on both inch and metric pattern caps

I've been having a hard time with these tiny wrenches I bought... So I know where they're coming from ;)
http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/343/34391_300.jpg

Noodles
04-25-14, 16:42
I like that action block tool.... Although I'm not sure I like it more than the Giessele rod. I guess I'll wait and see the price.

jukeboxx13
04-25-14, 17:11
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG538/184

Looks like a new line for magpul. I really like the look of the MOE SL stock, I think it will give the B5 Bravo a run for it's money.

Hopefully its a lil lighter or the same weight as the B5 Bravo.

PatrioticDisorder
04-25-14, 18:19
Most importantly with the stock, it's minimum LOP is listed at 11.1", which is the same minimum for the STR which collapses all the way on the VLTOR A5, so I'm guessing this new stock will as well... And at $59.95 price point a huge win!

CCK
04-25-14, 19:45
I just hope they offer the handguard in midlength. Also they need to make sure it clears a LWRC piston, right Mark?

Chris

KalashniKEV
04-25-14, 21:17
This is what I've been bugging them for every time I passed a Magpul booth for the last 4 years.

Still... the SL stock isn't N1 enough and the SL HGs aren't CAR enough...

*sigh*

I still want them to release my ultra slim stuff and call it the MOE-K Stock and HGs... guess I'll have to keep bugging them...

Endur
04-25-14, 21:26
I am really digging the stock. I might just get one and see if I like it better than the STR.

Jellybean
04-25-14, 21:36
Ok, what am I missing here-
Somone explain what the SL stock does any better than a basic MOE?
How much slimmer can you *really* get, without simply reverting back to a basic USGI-style adjustable M4 stock?
I mean, I think it's decent looking, but.... see my previous two sentences. :confused:

Endur
04-25-14, 21:39
How much slimmer can you *really* get, without simply reverting back to a basic USGI-style adjustable M4 stock?
I mean, I think it's decent looking, but.... see my previous two sentences. :confused:

I believe it has a cheek weld similar to the Sopmod and the STR where as the MOE and CTR do not. Basically a cut and dry version of the STR like the MOE is to the CTR.

Sean W.
04-25-14, 21:40

Against the MOE it provides a more comfortable cheek weld.

crowkiller
04-25-14, 22:07
That stock looks good the deal breaker is if rotation limited QD is a possibility. I'm digging those hand guards as well

HeliPilot
04-25-14, 22:20
I'm happy to see so many new products being released from Magpul latley. I'll be putting together a lightweight build here pretty soon and I think I'm gonna run with the new SL MOE rather than the standard MOE. Just checked the specs section on Magpul's website and the weight says TBD, so I guess my purchase of this new stock is TBD as well.

VIP3R 237
04-25-14, 22:23
This is not confirmed but I have heard rumors of new ak furniture and 5.45 mags coming out as well. We shall see.

Sean W.
04-25-14, 23:00
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/P1060502.jpg

Found a better picture of the handguard from thetruthaboutguns.com (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/new-magpul-moe-sl-ar-15-furniture/p1060502/).

Grand58742
04-25-14, 23:50
I don't even start a build until I've tossed back 2. :sarcastic:

Rookie. It doesn't get fun until you've had about eight and try to put in a bolt catch roll pin. :D

Although I've seen some that looked like they were assembled by a bunch of monkeys with hammers from stone sober basement builders, so I'd say I'd trust your two beers build over a lot of folks I know.

On topic though, the rails are interesting. In some pictures, it appears to be flared out around the FSB and in others it looks like it slims out.

Am I looking at it wrong?

MountainRaven
04-25-14, 23:55
I'll be sure to give the stock a shot when they come out with it in gray.

Freedoooom
04-26-14, 00:08
Handguard looks awesome on a rifle and looks smaller than the original MOE handguard.

coastwatcher42
04-26-14, 01:24
I'm glad to see some more new accessories from Magpul. I may have to try one of the stocks...looks nice.

ffusaf23
04-26-14, 01:32
I bet the Mossie Midnight Mount would be a perfect match with these new handguards

This was my immediate thought as well. I'm almost positive I'll end up with a Mossie Midnight Mount and a slimline handguard.

SOW_0331
04-26-14, 02:59

This.

What, besides moving the locking mechanism/release, is really all that different from the old M4 stock? There's no way that 1/16" difference is going to mean you can only get cheek weld with this stock. Put moleskin on your SOPMOD, there ya go. $2 later and it's higher and won't pull your face pubes.

I'm all for trying new things. I support any company that will try to make better products for their customers. I don't like being told this version of something that supposedly sucked last week is now the only thing that will work. Modern battlefield? At least, as ugly as everyone says they are, the new DD stocks are designed to fit in your shoulder pocket with or without armor.

ABNAK
04-26-14, 05:12

That's what I was thinking.

Stock looks good but I think I like the grip the best.

eodinert
04-26-14, 05:39
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/P1060502.jpg

Found a better picture of the handguard from thetruthaboutguns.com (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/new-magpul-moe-sl-ar-15-furniture/p1060502/).

5.45 mag on the left.

I'm not seeing a 5.45 mag anywhere in that picture.

stahljaeger
04-26-14, 07:12
I wish they added M-Lok slots on the gas block shield so I can put a light out further.

This was my initial thought as well, but then my mechanical engineer training took over. The gas block shield is a thin cantilever tab on each side. A light mounted to them would likely break the tab under rough use, especially if they were slotted. I am actually more impressed with the handguards now.

Kissel
04-26-14, 07:48
I really like that handguard--looking forward to it.

Shao
04-26-14, 07:53
I'll be sure to give the stock a shot when they come out with it in gray.

Yeah, I was about to blow $100+ on refitting my MOE carbine with Stealth Gray furniture. I'll just wait until the new stock and handguard come out first. Thanks for posting this. I need to keep up with the Magpul site better.

MistWolf
04-26-14, 07:54
Now if they'd only come out with a free float version

Shao
04-26-14, 08:06

True... and after having a closer look at that handguard, I wish they would have extended the same texture down the length of the guard to the section that surrounds the FSB. The rounded-off look is distracting.

uffdaphil
04-26-14, 08:10

I got a couple of the 5.45 on left, but am waiting for the Mod 2 which is reputed to have steel inserted more like the commies. Can't wait for the cut-out on my Smith 5.45 upper.

Hank6046
04-26-14, 08:45

5.45 mag on the left.

I'd throw that on a Kiss Rifle and probably find that it works well, I'd like to put hands on, good for Magpul

eodinert
04-26-14, 09:12
I got a couple of the 5.45 on left, but am waiting for the Mod 2 which is reputed to have steel inserted more like the commies. Can't wait for the cut-out on my Smith 5.45 upper.

You seem to be making a reference to the AK mag... that's a 7.62x39 magazine.

MoCop
04-26-14, 10:12
I just saw them in my email. They look very nice. I like the look of the carbine length handguards on how it is just a skosh longer than the other cl handguards. I can't wait to try this product out.

jukeboxx13
04-26-14, 10:16
Original MOE handguard looks better, but new SL stock and pistol grip look great imo.

uffdaphil
04-26-14, 10:30
You seem to be making a reference to the AK mag... that's a 7.62x39 magazine.

You are correct. I forgot I bought 7.62. I'm still stick with ACS mags for my 5.45 AR.

Dist. Expert 26
04-26-14, 10:46
I really like the look of the new stock, the roll at the bottom will really help with shooting in gear. If they made a UBR with that profile I'd be sorely tempted to buy it.

Ark1443
04-26-14, 11:11
I'm digging the stock, but the handguard's seem a little thick still.

jerrysimons
04-26-14, 11:52
That stock looks great! The grip too, I like how it doesn't have the notch on the back that the K2 has. Looks like a cross between the K1 and the Grip 23.

I wondered why a polymer handguaud that extends around the FSB hadn't been made yet back in the B5 systems keymod handguard thread.

VIP3R 237
04-26-14, 12:05

Haha you've been wishing for one for years now, but I agree with you.

plouffedaddy
04-26-14, 14:51
I like the looks of all the furniture. ...guess that's why I'm always accused of rampant Magpul fan-boyism though :)

SPQR476
04-26-14, 15:31
The SL handguard is much slimmer side to side, but it doesn't show up in the profile
shot. The stock has an internal anti-rattle feature and with a 1-1/4" QD, the stock body provides rotation limits when placed either parallel the tube or parallel the buttpad. The cheekweld was inspired to some extent by the old school Colt ACR, and is indeed between the CTR and ACS-L. It is also designed for A5 compatibility.

CCK
04-26-14, 15:37
The SL handguard is much slimmer side to side, but it doesn't show up in the profile
shot.

Will midlength be offered?

Chris

SPQR476
04-26-14, 15:51
Will midlength be offered?

Chris

Can't confirm or deny, but it's a definite possibility.

Ryno12
04-26-14, 15:57
So I assume, that since the handguards extend past the FSB, they won't work with barrel mounted sling attachments??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolvs
04-26-14, 16:11
shot. The stock has an internal anti-rattle feature and with a 1-1/4" QD, the stock body provides rotation limits when placed either parallel the tube or parallel the buttpad. The cheekweld was inspired to some extent by the old school Colt ACR, and is indeed between the CTR and ACS-L. It is also designed for A5 compatibility.

Dang. I would buy one of those stocks today.

Sean W.
04-26-14, 16:26

My mistake thought it was.

scottryan
04-26-14, 17:24

A breaker bar inserted into a armorers wrench does not put the center of torque around the barrel nut.

This combo is too difficult to have fine control over and is too easy to slip off the barrel nut causing damage

scottryan
04-26-14, 17:31
I think you are looking for this. > http://www.2uniquellc.com/#!product/prd5/1928621315/ar15-m16-barrel-nut-wrench

That wrench does not have enough engagement points on the barrel nut for my satisfaction.

SPQR476
04-26-14, 17:32
We've been building with it for about 6 months, Scotty. Works great. Wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise.

556Cliff
04-26-14, 18:03
That wrench does not have enough engagement points on the barrel nut for my satisfaction.

Still the most engagement points of any pin type wrench I have ever seen.

I think you must be looking for the mythical Colt armorer's barrel wrench (as spoken of by the great Elmore)... ;) It sounds like a great wrench that is made via the EDM precision tool manufacturing method and is very expensive, though few people outside of the Colt factory have ever seen that wrench and though "the great Elmore" has a few he won't even show a single picture. :(

Still waiting on the HammerHead barrel wrench to come out I guess.

scottryan
04-27-14, 20:18
We've been building with it for about 6 months, Scotty. Works great. Wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise.

I'm not doubting your wrench can't handle a standard modern AR-15 build.

My point was some people need a dedicated tool to get leverage on high dollar prebans and transferable machineguns to avoid damage. A set of professional armorer tools is not commercially available.

mtdawg169
04-27-14, 21:38

This has my attention. Any idea when they may be released?

Heavy Metal
04-27-14, 22:12
Why no attach point on the handguards next to the sight tower?

SPQR476
04-28-14, 08:14
Why no attach point on the handguards next to the sight tower?

Would have had to be incredibly thick in order to support anything well. Need to complete the circle for proper accessory mounting strength in polymer. We'll have some cantilever M-LOK accessories to complete the package.

Little Creek
04-28-14, 09:37

I want a mid-length MOE SL handguard for my S&W M&P 10. When do you expect to be shipping them? Will they ever be available in FDE?

SPQR476
04-28-14, 10:38
Mid length is a logical progression. SL will be in BLK, FDE, GRY, ODG.

Preach
04-28-14, 11:03

Rifle length as well?

SPQR476
04-28-14, 11:44
Rifle may be a possibility.

MistWolf
04-28-14, 14:21
Free float? Please tell me you're working on a synthetic free float tube

Stickman
04-28-14, 14:25
It sounds like a great wrench that is made via the EDM precision tool manufacturing method and is very expensive

I know someone who is making an EDM armorers wrench, but I don't think it will be able to sustain sales in this market. There are very few people wanting to pay the sort of price that it takes to make one. I have zero time on the Magpul wrench, so I can't comment on it yet. It does look well thought out, and it is going to sell by the truck load to people who've never had a wrench before, never mind the guys looking to upgrade.

556Cliff
04-28-14, 15:54
I know someone who is making an EDM armorers wrench, but I don't think it will be able to sustain sales in this market. There are very few people wanting to pay the sort of price that it takes to make one. I have zero time on the Magpul wrench, so I can't comment on it yet. It does look well thought out, and it is going to sell by the truck load to people who've never had a wrench before, never mind the guys looking to upgrade.

What, no pictures?

I'm thinking an EDM barrel wrench would be around $300.00 to $500.00, am I close?

Sean W.
04-28-14, 16:07

No Foliage? :(

gun71530
04-28-14, 16:14

Not much point in foliage with the release of grey products.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Beat Trash
04-28-14, 16:46
Any comment on when the grey products will start to ship? As well as the grey SL MOE hand guards?

SteveL
04-28-14, 17:14

Not much point in foliage with the release of grey products.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Magpul is completely discontinuing foliage green.

Bottom section:
http://www.magpul.com/now-shipping-stealth-gray-parts-and-pmag-lrsr-accessories.html

Lopro619
04-28-14, 18:01
Magpul is completely discontinuing foliage green.

Bottom section:
http://www.magpul.com/now-shipping-stealth-gray-parts-and-pmag-lrsr-accessories.html

dang, ditching the colored mags too?

Freedoooom
04-28-14, 18:37
dang, ditching the colored mags too?

On TOS, they posted this is wrong whoever told people this is wrong, but its on their site and it was pointed out and they have yet to respond to it.

Not sure whats going on... Maybe SPQR can chime in...

JS-Maine
04-28-14, 20:59
I cant say that I'm in love with the looks of the handguard, but thats putting form over function. I understand that this can and will fill a need for a number of folks. I'd like to see how it feels in the hand. However, I really like the stock. Did I somehow miss an answer to the friction lock question? It seems to be another good option to consider.

SPQR476
04-28-14, 21:56
Colored mags will phase out during 2014. All products except MIAD 1.1 are shipping in gray right now. All other colors will continue in the furniture products, except foliage, which will also phase out during 2014. The SL stock has an internal anti-rattle mechanism, so no friction lock.

mtdawg169
04-28-14, 22:27
Any ETA on the wrench and barrel block?

Wake27
04-28-14, 22:31
Colored mags will phase out during 2014. All products except MIAD 1.1 are shipping in gray right now. All other colors will continue in the furniture products, except foliage, which will also phase out during 2014. The SL stock has an internal anti-rattle mechanism, so no friction lock.

No more colored mags of any kind? Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JusticeM4
04-28-14, 23:36

5.45 mag on the left.

Parts look good. I also like how it partially wraps around the delta ring.

Thanks for the info. I guess its time to buy all the colored Pmags now...

78Staff
04-29-14, 02:14

Duane,
Curious, would this new SL handguard fit over a railed gas block, like the S&W M&P15 Optics Ready?

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/mathis66/Forums/SnW/f5c6de0e-48d5-42c8-8916-717b8866fb02_zps7d7b6b10.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/mathis66/media/Forums/SnW/f5c6de0e-48d5-42c8-8916-717b8866fb02_zps7d7b6b10.jpg.html)

HeliPilot
04-29-14, 03:16
I can't say I'm disappointed about the discontinuing of the colored PMAGS as all of mine are black, and nothing that a can of paint wouldn't fix if I wanted some variety. Any word on the weight of the new SL stock though? I think its safe to assume that it's lighter than the standard MOE?

Endur
04-29-14, 03:20
I had the chance to check out the new stock at the NRA convention. It looks like a nice stock, but the cheek weld wasn't like I thought. I think I will be keeping my STR. I was also told the receiver plates should be out in a couple of weeks; which I am looking forward to.

556Cliff
04-29-14, 12:37
I'm not doubting your wrench can't handle a standard modern AR-15 build.

My point was some people need a dedicated tool to get leverage on high dollar prebans and transferable machineguns to avoid damage. A set of professional armorer tools is not commercially available.

What about the Accuracy Speaks barrel wrench, it grips every tooth on the standard barrel nut.

Though it doesn't have a long handle and you would have to remove the FSB to use it.

Here's a link to an article that shows it. > https://gunsmagazine.com/barrel-upper-work/

Just scroll down to see it.

I have also been searching for years, years and more years for a good barrel wrench and am starting to get worried that I'm going to settle with a wrench that's not as good as it could be. :sad:

SPQR476
04-29-14, 12:58
Well, in the prototyping stage, we did do a billet machined version in air-hardening steel that was a freaking masterpiece. It would cost about as much as one, also.

44Dave
04-29-14, 16:20
I was hoping for .308 pmags that I could use stripper clips with.

sua175
04-29-14, 17:35
Little off topic but when are the 25rnd sr25 mags hitting the selfs?

SPQR476
04-29-14, 17:53
Little off topic but when are the 25rnd sr25 mags hitting the selfs?

Shipping as of last week.

scottryan
04-29-14, 20:05
What about the Accuracy Speaks barrel wrench, it grips every tooth on the standard barrel nut.

Though it doesn't have a long handle and you would have to remove the FSB to use it.

Here's a link to an article that shows it. > https://gunsmagazine.com/barrel-upper-work/

Just scroll down to see it.

I have also been searching for years, years and more years for a good barrel wrench and am starting to get worried that I'm going to settle with a wrench that's not as good as it could be. :sad:

Removing the FSB of a collectable Colt barrel is not an option. That should be obvious from my previous post.

eodinert
04-30-14, 10:36
Removing the FSB of a collectable Colt barrel is not an option. That should be obvious from my previous post.

Since it's so special you probably won't want to soil the barrel nut or gas tube roll pin, either.

SteveL
05-22-14, 07:32
Magpul has set a price on the BEV block at $49.95.

HeliPilot
05-22-14, 08:48
Any word on the weight of the new stock?

jnr4817
08-12-14, 11:43
Will the Moe SL hand guard work with an Adams arms setup?

ToeTagger6552
08-12-14, 12:38
These things are OK....I just woulda thought after this long they would come up with some much more innovative designs....

SPQR476
08-12-14, 18:00
There are some very interesting things about this stock that you may not see at first glance. We wanted a fairly bomb-proof, fuller featured stock at the lower end of our price range which worked well with .308 and A5 tubes as well as the conventional carbine length tubes (not that the shorter stocks don't work well with the longer tubes already). This stock started over two years ago as a project targeted for an update to OEM channels, but we all liked it so much, it ended up delayed and morphed into what it is now and a broader release intent. We were looking at the old Colt ACR stock and the XM 177 stock and the simplicity of the lines, and this is where we ended up.

There are also a lot of other very interesting things in the works in the realm of AR stocks, and elsewhere. We are moving towards being much tighter-lipped about products until they are ready for release.

PatrioticDisorder
08-12-14, 18:04
There are some very interesting things about this stock that you may not see at first glance. We wanted a fairly bomb-proof, fuller featured stock at the lower end of our price range which worked well with .308 and A5 tubes as well as the conventional carbine length tubes (not that the shorter stocks don't work well with the longer tubes already). This stock started over two years ago as a project targeted for an update to OEM channels, but we all liked it so much, it ended up delayed and morphed into what it is now and a broader release intent. We were looking at the old Colt ACR stock and the XM 177 stock and the simplicity of the lines, and this is where we ended up.

There are also a lot of other very interesting things in the works in the realm of AR stocks, and elsewhere. We are moving towards being much tighter-lipped about products until they are ready for release.

To be clear, this stock collapses all the way to the shortest position (covering the buffer tube) on an A5?

SPQR476
08-12-14, 18:11
To be clear, this stock collapses all the way to the shortest position (covering the buffer tube) on an A5?

Yes, Sir, it does.

ToeTagger6552
08-12-14, 18:31

Cool... I'm glad to hear that... I use a lot of Magpul gear and love every piece I have!

dentron
08-12-14, 18:45
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/13/pujysypy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/13/eguveheh.jpg
Looks very similar to the BCM stock. I sense a new trend in AR aesthetics. (I am NOT saying either one copied the other, simply stating my OPINION)

Beat Trash
08-13-14, 09:37
I'm waiting for this to actually be released and available for purchase. Just like the competition to this stock (BCM) I find it frustrating when the product is on the web site, but unavailable for months.

Shao
08-13-14, 09:53
Both stocks interest me mostly because I'm a furniture-whore, and I'll eventually end up purchasing both, but damn... I think they're both more than a little ugly. Function > Form though...

Shiz
08-13-14, 09:56
I am a toss up between this slim line and the gunfighter. One thing that concerns me on the gunfighter is the QD can only go in horizontally. I don't know how much of an issue that will be, another issue is ease of removal. I always wished that magpul's would have been easier. I would like to be able to remove it with my fingers. B5 bravo is my favorite for that reason. Not sure how easy the gunfighter will be, but I think you need a bullet? ICBW.

SPQR476
08-13-14, 10:42
The SL allows about 130-140 degrees of QD rotation, so both vertical and more horizontal positions are still permitted, but complete rotation is blocked.

For test fitting, we do the SL with our fingers, no problem, but we do the CTR/MOE that way, as well. More difficult with something like the STR or ACS, though--need the bullet for those due to the battery tubes preventing easy finger access to the cross pin.

For MOE/CTR/MOE SL, move to back of tube, pull up on lever to raise the crossbar, grab crossbar with fingers and pull up the rest of the way, slide stock off.

The MOE SL has some fairly stout and simple internal anti-rattle features that make it extremely solid across a wide tolerance range of mil-spec tube diameters without having an extra locking action, like the friction lock--some of these are obvious, some are nuances. Works slick, and you don't have problems with skinny or fat tubes not fitting <quite> right.

It is also our strongest carbine stock, if you discount the UBR. There are limitations to what can be achieved with the durability of the receiver extension, however. Without going to something like a UBR with a different lockup, at some point, you just start wallowing out and damaging the buffer tube holes to the point that nothing will ever lock up right in the tube again.

Yes, it's frustrating to have stuff announced and not released, but we wanted to announce SL at the NRA show since the hand guard featured the M-LOK attachment system, which we were also announcing at the show. You'll see a lot less of the early announcements from us going forward, although I can't guarantee there will be none. The reality is that the hand guard was designed with the original MOE slots, but we delayed the whole project to change the hand guard to M-LOK, and it made little sense to have the buttstock ready before the rest of the furniture, from a release and promotion perspective.

Eurodriver
08-13-14, 10:54
Yes, it's frustrating to have stuff announced and not released, but we wanted to announce SL at the NRA show since the hand guard featured the M-LOK attachment system, which we were also announcing at the show. You'll see a lot less of the early announcements from us going forward, although I can't guarantee there will be none. The reality is that the hand guard was designed with the original MOE slots, but we delayed the whole project to change the hand guard to M-LOK, and it made little sense to have the buttstock ready before the rest of the furniture, from a release and promotion perspective.

That's understandable. So the SL is going to use the M-LOK slot specs instead of the old MOE slot specs.

How will that effect people like me who have hundreds of dollars in sling and light mounts for MOE handguards (like those offered from IWC)? Will I be stuck with original MOEs forever or forced to buy new mounts? I'm not asking because it upsets me. (Tone is difficult to tell on the internet) I'm asking from a practical standpoint.

M4Guru
08-13-14, 11:02
Yes, the MOE SL hand guard will only have M-LOK spec slots.

Shiz
08-13-14, 11:27
Great info Duane. Thank you!

SPQR476
08-13-14, 11:50
That's understandable. So the SL is going to use the M-LOK slot specs instead of the old MOE slot specs.

How will that effect people like me who have hundreds of dollars in sling and light mounts for MOE handguards (like those offered from IWC)? Will I be stuck with original MOEs forever or forced to buy new mounts? I'm not asking because it upsets me. (Tone is difficult to tell on the internet) I'm asking from a practical standpoint.

We will have relatively inexpensive adapters that go from MOE to M-LOK and M-LOK to MOE, so both legacy hand guards will be adaptable to M-LOK products, and M-LOK hand guards will be usable with MOE products. One of our concerns with the new standard was not leaving existing purchasers hanging, so the adapters were high on the list of products to flesh out the system. The adapters should be out in early Q4. The RVG and AFG2 adapters are already out, that are product specific and allow super-low profile mounting of those legacy products to M-LOK surfaces. Existing MOE accessories will continue to be produced for 18 months or so during the transition to allow users who would rather not use any kind of adapters to continue to accessorize with MOE products, but all new accessory releases will be M-LOK.

Eurodriver
08-13-14, 12:36
Thanks Duane. That answers my question. Obviously I don't expect Magpul to cater to legacy systems eternally, but I'd hate to break one of my MOE handguards next year and then have to toss a $60 light mount, $20 MVG, and $35 sling mount. I've also been looking forward to the SL since it was announced and I didn't want to be stuck with MOEs because of my investments in attachment hardware.

SPQR476
08-26-14, 15:37
MOE SL Stocks, Hand Guards, and Grips, Now Shipping:

http://store.magpul.com/category/MOE-SL

Order direct or should be at dealers and distributors starting by the end of the week.

Zim
08-26-14, 15:41
Is the SL Stock available in colors other than black, or will it be in the near future?

SPQR476
08-26-14, 15:56
We have been getting questions about the strength of the MOE SL stock in comparison to others in our line. We'll probably show some videos on exactly what it will do at ambient, cold, and hot temps. It's easier to make a strong stock at room temp...harder to do it across the temp range, and optimizing for one can hurt the others, so we'll likely show you all 3, as the MOE SL is stout. Some folks questioned the narrow toe, and I can assure you that the toe is pretty crazy strong.

The other is the limitation of the carbine receiver extension. In our dead blow sled tests (Imagine a Yeti mortar clear from chest height) the stock withstands punishment that significantly damages a 7075 mil-spec receiver extension, and the stock remains entirely usable after multiple blows. That might be too stiff to not have diminishing returns, as I'd rather not have to replace the buffer tube after a drop, but it's the best compromise we arrived at.

In any case, we've been having cage matches over the pre-production samples here to put on our personal rifles, so we're all very glad to see them rolling off the line.

SPQR476
08-26-14, 16:13
Any colors beside black at this point on the stock, or did they just sell out that fast?

Blacks are shipping out the door, Gray and FDE should be up by the end of the week.

Preach
08-26-14, 16:36
Blacks are shipping out the door, Gray and FDE should be up by the end of the week.

Are the Slimeline Handguards shipping out with them too?

Zim
08-26-14, 17:23

Awesome. Can't wait to get one in hand to play around with.

SPQR476
08-26-14, 18:32
Yep. Whole package. Stock, Grip, Hand Guard. All available now.

Will545
08-26-14, 18:47
Please tell me a mid length moe-sl hand guard is on the way.

3ACR_Scout
08-26-14, 20:55
The new lower prices on the other carbine stocks are really impressive - $39.99 for the MOE, $59.99 for the CTR, and $79.99 for the STR. In case anyone hasn't seen the SL announcement email, it says that they are realigning their stock prices to pass the savings on to the customer from manufacturing infrastructure improvements. When I read that, I was expecting a few dollars cheaper, but those are significant price reductions. Thanks, Magpul!

On a side note though, I noticed that it took a long time for the previous price reduction (I think the CTR went from $99 down to $79 a couple years ago?) to show up on dealers' website and shelves. I have a feeling that may be the case this time too.

Dave

Fishbed77
08-26-14, 21:14
Well, I just ordered my MOE SL handguard!

SeriousStudent
08-26-14, 21:26
MOE SL Stocks, Hand Guards, and Grips, Now Shipping:

http://store.magpul.com/category/MOE-SL

Order direct or should be at dealers and distributors starting by the end of the week.

Perfect timing! I just got my new BCM upper yesterday in the mail, time to add some Magpul goodness.

Thanks very much for the news, Duane.

Berserkr556
08-26-14, 21:38
I read the whole thread and didn't see anyone ask this. Forgive me if I missed it. Is Magpul going to stop producing the other stocks,grips and hand guards and only manufacture the SL products or will the other products continue.
Thank you.

3ACR_Scout
08-26-14, 21:55
Is Magpul going to stop producing the other stocks,grips and hand guards and only manufacture the SL products or will the other products continue.
SL is just another addition to their product line - they're not going to abandon all their other great products. These just add more options for people to customize their rifles to their liking.

Dave

jnr4817
08-27-14, 09:06
I just ordered moe sl hand guard. Would love to see a midlength version of this also.

SPQR476
08-27-14, 10:14
SL is just another addition to their product line - they're not going to abandon all their other great products. These just add more options for people to customize their rifles to their liking.

Dave

Yep...everything will continue, no plans for discontinuation of any part of the stock line right now. We're just setting the stage for even more great things. The MOE line, with it's simplified feature set, needed some invigoration, so the SL was the answer, and we were able to do it efficiently enough to add features (A5 length, QD insert with rotation limiting in the stock body, anti-rattle secure fit) at the same price point as the previous MOE. This gives the consumer the original MOE at $39.95 with no QD or friction lock/anti-rattle, the fixed carbine at $29.95 (which is a great SPR stock with the extended buttpad), and then SL and CTR, with similar feature sets, at the $59.95 price point, and on up the line.

We've got a lot of things in the works for the AR stock line, including some things that folks have been asking for over the years, and support for other platforms, also.

M-LOK is getting a head of steam, also, and with the release of the SL forend, the line of accessories will continue to roll. We've got light mounts, AFG and RVG adapters, and rails out now, with sling mounts, bipod adapters, more light mounts, dedicated VG, AFG, and handstop...you name it...all on the way before the end of the year. We will release a product guide in the coming months that will show what we're doing and what we've got planned to show the options and to help deconflict with other manufacturers who are supporting the M-LOK standard, nearly 100 in all now.

MistWolf
08-27-14, 12:03
Might have to give that slimline handguard a try on my AR pistol

BufordTJustice
08-27-14, 12:14
Might have to give that slimline a try on my AR pistol
Same.

SPQR476
08-27-14, 16:18
Just realized that the weights are incorrect on the website if anyone is doing a comparison. We're fixing it now. Biggest discrepancy is that the SL forend weighs 6.7 oz, not 8.

Fishbed77
08-27-14, 22:56
Might have to give that slimline handguard a try on my AR pistol

That's exactly what I'll be doing with the one I've ordered.

Beat Trash
08-28-14, 08:36
Can anyone advise of the check weld on the MOE SL stock. Is it the same as the MOE/CTR line? From the photo's it would appear to be the same as the MOE/CTR, but form the drawings, it appears to have slightly more.

SPQR476
08-28-14, 08:43
Slightly wider. CTR is about 1.59". MOE SL is about 1.67". All told, it's about 1/4" longer than the CTR, also.

Beat Trash
08-28-14, 15:34
Thanks for the response about the width of the MOE SL. To be honest, I'm torn between the MOE SL and the new BCM stock. I need something a bit lighter than the stocks I've been using, to balance out a new upper. I'm not to thrilled with the limited position of the sling attachment on the BCM stock. Plus it's not shipping yet. So I think I'll try the MOE SL.

Little Creek
08-29-14, 08:50
Yep...everything will continue, no plans for discontinuation of any part of the stock line right now. We're just setting the stage for even more great things. The MOE line, with it's simplified feature set, needed some invigoration, so the SL was the answer, and we were able to do it efficiently enough to add features (A5 length, QD insert with rotation limiting in the stock body, anti-rattle secure fit) at the same price point as the previous MOE. This gives the consumer the original MOE at $39.95 with no QD or friction lock/anti-rattle, the fixed carbine at $29.95 (which is a great SPR stock with the extended buttpad), and then SL and CTR, with similar feature sets, at the $59.95 price point, and on up the line.

We've got a lot of things in the works for the AR stock line, including some things that folks have been asking for over the years, and support for other platforms, also.

M-LOK is getting a head of steam, also, and with the release of the SL forend, the line of accessories will continue to roll. We've got light mounts, AFG and RVG adapters, and rails out now, with sling mounts, bipod adapters, more light mounts, dedicated VG, AFG, and handstop...you name it...all on the way before the end of the year. We will release a product guide in the coming months that will show what we're doing and what we've got planned to show the options and to help deconflict with other manufacturers who are supporting the M-LOK standard, nearly 100 in all now.

How about a midlendth MOE SL forend that will fit the M&P 10 in FDE? Will the MOE SL grip work on the M&P 10?

SPQR476
08-29-14, 09:15
How about a midlendth MOE SL forend that will fit the M&P 10 in FDE? Will the MOE SL grip work on the M&P 10?

There will likely be more to come in the MOE SL line. The SL grip fits the M&P 10 receiver with just a slight gap at the web.

MikeDawg46L
08-29-14, 09:53
I have hesitated jumping on the "modular" train, despite it's adaptability, due to the unholy ugliness that is keymod. I use a Centurion CMR for it's flexibility and strength, though I'm now thinking of switching to a Geissele with M-LOK because it is simple and genius and aesthetically easy all wrapped in a nice little package.

I'm definitely interested in the SL stock line as well due to the extended length on the A5, though I'm sure that the weight will balance out my porker Recce quite like the STR does.

Magpul has done a great job of moving their brand forward, and was smart enough not to wait until it was falling behind the pack.

PatrioticDisorder
08-29-14, 10:00
Any chance of a stock hitting the market that has the Moe SL angled butt pad with an STRish cheek weld? Also, will colors besides black for the MOE SL be available in the future?

308sako
08-29-14, 10:20
Looking close at the third picture in the top link "appears" to show a crack in the stock where the roll pin holds the locking pin. Select that pic for larger view. LOL

Otherwise a nice design. I might try one on the newest SBR project.

SPQR476
08-29-14, 10:29
Looking close at the third picture in the top link "appears" to show a crack in the stock where the roll pin holds the locking pin. Select that pic for larger view. LOL

Otherwise a nice design. I might try one on the newest SBR project.

Yes, those are still painted prototypes on the store page photos. Need to get those swapped out. With all the moving pieces right now all over the country, some things like pics get lost in the noise. I can assure you that if you order a stock, it won't have the crack. :-)

Stealth Gray and FDE should be shipping almost immediately, ODG soon after.

MikeDawg46L
08-29-14, 10:31
Having a few factory cracks and scuffs adds to that BTDT appearance. Magpul should just offer beat up shit and charge a premium like the clothing companies do with ripped up jeans and ball caps.

Sent from my awesome iPhone using Tapatalk

SPQR476
08-29-14, 10:36
Having a few factory cracks and scuffs adds to that BTDT appearance. Magpul should just offer beat up shit and charge a premium like the clothing companies do with ripped up jeans and ball caps.

Maybe we'll start selling our mountains of testing samples as "distressed" items. :-)

MikeDawg46L
08-29-14, 10:39
Maybe we'll start selling our mountains of testing samples as "distressed" items. :-)

New collector rifles!!!

Beat to hell, factory tested Magpul accessorized, safe queen, never fired.

Jwknutson17
08-29-14, 10:40
My Magpul SL just came in this am. I have to say that I am VERY pleased with the look, feel, and fit of the stock. It has ZERO play. And I mean zero on a BCM tube. Even with my CTR locked, this is still more snug. I have not put it through its paces yet, but my initial impression is a very good one to say the least. Nice job Magpul!

Jwknutson17
08-29-14, 10:44
Just realized that the weights are incorrect on the website if anyone is doing a comparison. We're fixing it now. Biggest discrepancy is that the SL forend weighs 6.7 oz, not 8.

My SL is coming in at 9.58 oz. The CTR is coming in at 9.16. Both right out of the box. I know my scale could be off in the slightest amount, But does this seem correct to you?

SPQR476
08-29-14, 10:53
That's exactly what we get them at. The larger butt pad, the cheek weld, and the little bit of extra length make the SL end up just under 1/2oz heavier than the CTR. We contemplated shaving weight on the SL, but we went for shootability and durability at a still relatively light weight. Once you start putting lights and foregrips out front, the rifle starts to get unbalanced with a superlight stock. The butt pad is not just thicker, but longer from top to bottom with the rollover toe, so it adds up. We may do something superlight, but that's not where we were going with this.

The forend is the 6.7oz weight. The stock is indeed right around 9.5 or 9.6.

Jwknutson17
08-29-14, 10:56
That's exactly what we get them at. The larger butt pad, the cheek weld, and the little bit of extra length make the SL end up just under 1/2oz heavier than the CTR. We contemplated shaving weight on the SL, but we went for shootability and durability at a still relatively light weight. Once you start putting lights and foregrips out front, the rifle starts to get unbalanced with a superlight stock. The butt pad is not just thicker, but longer from top to bottom with the rollover toe, so it adds up. We may do something superlight, but that's not where we were going with this.

The forend is the 6.7oz weight. The stock is indeed right around 9.5 or 9.6.

Thanks for the info. I like the design features for only 1/2 of a oz. Surprised its not more. Good work is an understatement. This thing feels great!!

SPQR476
08-29-14, 11:05
Thanks for the info. I like the design features for only 1/2 of a oz. Surprised its not more. Good work is an understatement. This thing feels great!!

Thanks!

matthewdanger
08-29-14, 12:17
I have the stock, hand guards, and grip in hand and my initial impressions are good. Disclosure: I received them free of charge for review.

The grip is slim and straighter like the Magpul MOE-K and K2 Grips. It splits the difference between the MOE-K Grip and the MOE-K2 Grip in terms of size and how it fills the hand. It is longer and has a "beavertail" like the K2 but lacks storage and is slimmer like the K. The texture is aggressive and the same as what you find on the K and K2. Basically, if you picture a grip as slim as the MOE-K and as long as the MOE-K2 with the same grip texture you'll have it.

The new grip screw is great. I hate dealing with slotted grip screws but I acknowledge that the "flat head" is a common driver so it is somewhat of a necessary evil. Magpul has a new grip screw that accepts both a hex driver or a flat head driver. It's very easy to deal with.

The stock is going to make some waves in a good way. It kept very tight on the receiver extension thanks to 2 small leaf spring like bumpers in the stock body. It is similar to the way the TI-7 stocks from Tactical Intent/Exos Defense grip the receiver extension if you are familiar with that. There is no friction lever to fiddle with, zero rattle, and only a small amount of forward and back movement. It feels similar to the ACS-L in use but it is slimmer. The butt pad is grippy but has no give at all (which I prefer).

I don't have anything that I can mount the hand guards on right now (all my ARs with carbine gas have free float rails installed) but I can tell you that they are slimmer. I have medium hands and can touch my thumb and middle finger around them. I can't do that with the other MOE Hand Guards. The heat shield is basically the same though it is more open on the bottom to allow for the larger M-LOK slots.

I am very impressed, especially with the stock.

SPQR476
08-29-14, 12:31
Duane,
Curious, would this new SL handguard fit over a railed gas block, like the S&W M&P15 Optics Ready?

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/mathis66/Forums/SnW/f5c6de0e-48d5-42c8-8916-717b8866fb02_zps7d7b6b10.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/mathis66/media/Forums/SnW/f5c6de0e-48d5-42c8-8916-717b8866fb02_zps7d7b6b10.jpg.html)

There may be a bit of clearancing necessary on various railed gas blocks, but it's not much. Official position is that it's meant for forged front sight base compatibility. I cannot confirm, but it may or may not have been fitted successfully to the firearm you mention with a few strokes of a file.

Beat Trash
08-29-14, 12:59
Where are you guys finding the MOE SL stock actually "In Stock"?

SPQR476
08-29-14, 13:02
For this release, we're actually selling direct for a while, so they are available on our website. Should be making their way through distribution rather quickly, though.

KalashniKEV
08-29-14, 13:57
We may do something superlight, but that's not where we were going with this.

I'm going to keep bugging you to release something similar to an N-type CAR stock.

Please do it well and do it inexpensively under the MOE-K line. ;)

plouffedaddy
08-29-14, 22:23
http://i.imgur.com/t51x7W2l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RnSYPixl.jpg

Put the stock, grip, and forend on my Colt 6720. It's awesome. I have pretty large hands so the grip is a little small for me but the texture is great FWIW. I really dig the stock and forend though---big fan. Reviews will be coming. :cool:

VIP3R 237
08-29-14, 23:24

Put the stock, grip, and forend on my Colt 6720. It's awesome. I have pretty large hands so the grip is a little small for me but the texture is great FWIW. I really dig the stock and forend though---big fan. Reviews will be coming. :cool:

That stock looks very promising, and I think it competes well against the B5 Bravo. I will have to grab one for my SBR.

burgeman
08-29-14, 23:37
I need a forend in midlength please

PatrioticDisorder
08-31-14, 08:12

How is the cheek weld compared to other stocks? Is it in between a CTR & STR?

plouffedaddy
08-31-14, 08:34
How is the cheek weld compared to other stocks? Is it in between a CTR & STR?

Ask and you shall receive. :cool: That and more are in my full review below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djM4EBI8A8g

PatrioticDisorder
08-31-14, 10:18
Ask and you shall receive. :cool: That and more are in my full review below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djM4EBI8A8g

Excellent review, touched on everything! Looks like a huge winner from Magpul!

birdkiller
08-31-14, 18:39
Sorry if already asked: Does this stock finally have rotation limiters in the QD socket?

thopkins22
08-31-14, 18:45
Sorry if already asked: Does this stock finally have rotation limiters in the QD socket?

If it's like every other Magpul stock then the stock body itself acts as rotation limiters rather than anything inherent to the socket. So yes...but not in the way you're thinking.

birdkiller
08-31-14, 18:51
If it's like every other Magpul stock then the stock body itself acts as rotation limiters rather than anything inherent to the socket. So yes...but not in the way you're thinking.

I've never used one of Magpul's stocks that had a rotation limit because of the stock body. UBR and CTR both free spin for me.

crosseyedshooter
08-31-14, 19:02
Will those leaf springs eventually wear through the receiver extension anodizing?

plouffedaddy
08-31-14, 21:43

This is correct. You can move it about 120 degrees (ish)

jschmitt08
09-01-14, 03:49
Has anyone tried the moe sl handguards in conjunction with the Mossie Midnight Mount? Just wondering if the handguard area that encompasses the fsb protrudes out too far to make it difficult to use the light...if it does work, I think it would be a great combo.

Monarchos
09-01-14, 09:22
In regards to the SL stock and the a5 system. Does it collapse fully with the re a5 or with the re a10?

Thanks

ajacobs
09-01-14, 12:37
On the handguards does the a2 front sling loop need to be removed?

Moses_J
09-01-14, 13:56
In regards to the SL stock and the a5 system. Does it collapse fully with the re a5 or with the re a10?

Thanks

Mrgunsngear did a video yesterday on it and it did collapse all the way.

plouffedaddy
09-01-14, 17:21
On the handguards does the a2 front sling loop need to be removed?

Yes; at least on the 6720

SPQR476
09-02-14, 11:34
Will those leaf springs eventually wear through the receiver extension anodizing?

This is something we actually put a lot of time in with during testing. Getting the stiffness we wanted from the springs--real stiffness, not merely reducing noise-- while preventing damage to the anodizing, even on less robust anodizing than true mil spec, was tricky. In the end, we solved the problem in a number of ways, but the bottom line is that you should have no issues with tube wear.

On non-black colors and on tubes with rough anodizing, you may see some of the poly rub off with vigorous use, but it wipes off easily and eventually stops as the inside of the stock is "polished" by the ano.

You also may see some burnishing of the ano if you really adjust the stock vigorously, but in no case should it damage or break through the finish.

Test samples on cheap 6061 tubes with cheap anodizing had to make it through 500 full-travel cycles with no damage before we were happy. With mil-spec tubes and ano, it's an easy day, and the things we did to address this concern were not really necessary for top-shelf tubes, but they certainly don't hurt.

SPQR476
09-02-14, 11:39

We designed the stock body and the location of the QD socket to provide limited QD rotation. So, as stated by others, it's rotation limited, but not in the socket. When you put the limitations in the socket, there is only a very narrow amount of rotation that remains--too narrow, IMHO to be ideal for a stock--and so doing it the way we did allows for about 120 degrees of rotation through a truly useful range of motion while still preventing the QD from spinning freely.

crosseyedshooter
09-02-14, 12:42
This is something we actually put a lot of time in with during testing. Getting the stiffness we wanted from the springs--real stiffness, not merely reducing noise-- while preventing damage to the anodizing....

That's good to hear. I'm anxious for the FDE version to be available for the A5 RE that I recently ordered.

six8
09-02-14, 12:52
Is Magpul usually slow with shipping? This waiting stuff is brutal!

Fishbed77
09-02-14, 13:53
Is Magpul usually slow with shipping? This waiting stuff is brutal!

I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered a MOE-SL handguard set a week ago from today, and other than having my credit card charged, I have had not received any indication that the order has shipped, or if it is backordered, or anything else. Please let us know! Thanks!

This is the first time I've ever ordered direct from Magpul, and I figured that they would be as squared away on processing orders and shipping as they are on everything else.

six8
09-02-14, 15:20
I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered a MOE-SL handguard set a week ago from today, and other than having my credit card charged, I have had not received any indication that the order has shipped, or if it is backordered, or anything else. Please let us know! Thanks!

This is the first time I've ever ordered direct from Magpul, and I figured that they would be as squared away on processing orders and shipping as they are on everything else.
Same here. I need my Magpul phone case too! [emoji1] I looked at the site again and don't see where they're sold out.

WS6
09-03-14, 02:08

I'm sorry to nitpick one thing out of the mass here, but I love the Idea of mlok. Keymod is killing itself because it's tied to brand. HK, bcm/Noveske, and AI all have their own. AI has several of their own. Magpul is a supplier for almost everyone. Brand neutrality. Mlok has a much better shot at market because of that, imo. Why it took almost a decade i have no idea...

That said...any chance of a slimline with battery tubes? I'd love a SOPMOD type stock that retained the angle of the butt of the sl.

PatrioticDisorder
09-03-14, 05:10
That said...any chance of a slimline with battery tubes? I'd love a SOPMOD type stock that retained the angle of the butt of the sl.

I'd be very interested in one of those as well...

SPQR476
09-03-14, 12:23

Sorry...pretty slammed. We're not as efficient at small order fulfillment as many of the direct retail web stores, and we got pretty slammed with orders. We usually do a pre-auth on cards to verify validity when the order is placed--that's just how our system works. Everything should be shipping fairly quickly as we work through them. I'll check status.

six8
09-03-14, 12:29
Sorry...pretty slammed. We're not as efficient at small order fulfillment as many of the direct retail web stores, and we got pretty slammed with orders. We usually do a pre-auth on cards to verify validity when the order is placed--that's just how our system works. Everything should be shipping fairly quickly as we work through them. I'll check status.
As expected! FWIW my phone case came today, 8 days since ordering. Hopefully, my SL stock will be here this week. Never received any shipping info from Magpul but all is good. Thanks SPQR!

Preach
09-03-14, 13:12
Spqr476, will the MSAŽ-QD - MOEŽ Sling Attachment fit the SL handguards? If not, will there be a M - Lok variant?

SPQR476
09-03-14, 15:51
It does not fit without some modifications or an adapter. There is a dedicated M-LOK QD and also a dedicated M-LOK paraclip loop on the way. The "M-LOK QD Sling Mount" should be shipping in early-mid October along with a bunch of other accessories and the M-LOK to MOE and MOE to M-LOK adapters.

brickboy240
09-03-14, 16:05
Wow...love the look of the slimmer carbine stock!

Just bought a spanking new Colt 6940 and was looking for a replacement butt stock. I have a CTR on my Colt 6920 and a MOE on the M&P15-22 but I think I will go with the slim stock on the 6940. Will probably skip the grip...I am pretty much married to the Ergo Grip as far as AR pistol grips go.

Glad to see new stuff coming out from Magpul....it all just keeps getting better and better.

-brickboy240

Fishbed77
09-03-14, 22:03
I received and installed my MOE SL handguards today. Very impressed so far. They lock up much more solidly on my 10.5" KISS pistol setup than the original MOE handguards they replaced. They provide just about the perfect reach for this type of setup.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0006sm_zpsb87088a9.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0007sm_zpsc11da543.jpg

Fishbed77
09-04-14, 17:49
Another neat detail that I hadn't noticed from the pre-release photos are the serrations along the top of the handguard to cut down glare and improve grip if you wrap thumb over the top of the handguard.

snakedoctor
09-05-14, 18:05
New MOE SL Carbine Stock vs Milspec CTR
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5576/15150918642_6458be58fd_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/15150918642/)

eschoendorff
09-06-14, 10:09
Very much agreed, the stock looks really nice.

ETA - sans beard hair puller as well. :p

That's exactly why I went with a Magpul ACS stock. Didn't pull my beard, lol!

Moonlight Again
09-06-14, 14:42
Good looking stuff----what else would we expect from Magpul? I particularly like the extended length of the carbine SL handguards; that's a definite step forward.

Cincinnatus
09-06-14, 15:31
I also like the extended length. Can anyone confirm whether these will fit with the Midwest Industries FSP light- mount--without modifying the handguards?
Here is a pic:
Link: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=94

Moonlight Again
09-06-14, 15:37
I also like the extended length. Can anyone confirm whether these will fit with the Midwest Industries FSP light- mount--without modifying the handguards?
Here is a pic:
Link: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=94

I'd love to know, because I run a Mossy Midnight on my carbine and the Midwest on my middy.

MistWolf
09-06-14, 21:12
Looks like at the most, it would take just a little trimming

mark5pt56
09-07-14, 06:09
If you want that style, this may be lighter and more useful for you. It is reversible. --And I missed the will it fit part, no clue as mine is with M4 HG's

http://www.gggaz.com/quick-detach-slic-thing-qd-sling-and-light-combo-mount.html

plouffedaddy
09-07-14, 21:25
Finished up a review of the hand guards. Enjoy :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuJXsoRpd0

JBecker 72
09-07-14, 21:37
That's a pretty cool setup on the 6720 there. I like it.

eschoendorff
09-07-14, 21:47
I liked your review video. Nicely done! Really liking the MOE SL gear.

plouffedaddy
09-08-14, 12:35
I liked your review video. Nicely done! Really liking the MOE SL gear.

Thanks. I dig it too.

SlimMan
09-08-14, 14:47
I bit on the SL. I wanted just a little more handguard length on my AR and didn't have hundreds to spend. My tendency was to grip at the very front of the old MagPul and that barrel could heat up quite nicely, thank you. I like the feel of the SL compared to the more rounded guard that I removed. I also picked up an m-lok rail section for sling attachment and am ready to give it the range test.

JChops
09-08-14, 15:25
Great execution on the SL stock, Magpul. I ordered a single to try it out and will soon be replacing my B5 Bravos and CTRs with the SL.

Been having latch problems with some the B5s where they get stuck between open/closed positions and they require a good whack to get in a position or move. Pisses me off because I love the stock otherwise.

In addition to the SL shape, I also dig the new tech: recessed latches, internal leaf springs (wobble never bothers me but damn these lock SOLID on Colt/LMT tubes), and overall professionally molded/dehorned edges all around. It's also simpler: no lock mechanism required. Great.

Most importantly, as with everything Magpul makes the released product feels polished and "finished." You can tell it's gone through many T&E iterations before being released to market.

Nicest all-around carbine stock to date and sits alongside my all-time favorites (Colt fiberlite & LMT SOPMOD).

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t362/JTMSalePhotos/MagpulSL.jpg

vicious_cb
09-20-14, 21:05
Anyone do drop testing yet? The stock feels rock solid. Im wondering if the extra weight over the CTR and MOE yielded any strength gains.

Uprange41
09-20-14, 21:56
My SL handguard arrived today. Feels MUCH nicer than any other polymer drop-in I've tried. Can get my hand out there, it's slim enough to get a good grip around, and it's tighter than the old MOE handguards. Just waiting to get a couple RVG M-LOK rails to mount a grip and light mount to. For a simple, lightweight carbine, this handguard is great.

Colt guy
09-21-14, 08:43
:smile:Liked your review of the SL

Very well done, covered topics well and is interesting to watch.

will be checking out more of your work

jerrysimons
09-21-14, 09:37
FDE Stocks! Mid-length! :D

SPQR476
09-21-14, 22:37
Anyone do drop testing yet? The stock feels rock solid. Im wondering if the extra weight over the CTR and MOE yielded any strength gains.

Well, internal testing was very positive, although you may be looking for third party verification. It drops very well, to the extent that it wallows out the hole on a 7075 mil spec receiver extension before the stock takes damage.

FDE is shipping soon.

Uprange41
09-21-14, 22:51
Question: Any plans on an M-LOK vertical grip?

vicious_cb
09-22-14, 02:36
Well, internal testing was very positive, although you may be looking for third party verification. It drops very well, to the extent that it wallows out the hole on a 7075 mil spec receiver extension before the stock takes damage.

FDE is shipping soon.

Excellent! I know in the previous designs the locking pin was what gave way first. Am I right to assume that you beefed up the pin or used a different metal?

sw1911
09-22-14, 07:01
definitely a step up aesthetically from the original moe handguard.

SPQR476
09-22-14, 08:48
Excellent! I know in the previous designs the locking pin was what gave way first. Am I right to assume that you beefed up the pin or used a different metal?

We switched to harder pins quite a while ago across the board--new pins, new finish, harder (but still tough). Right now it's a balance between what gives out first. We haven't bent a pin to the point that it doesn't function in SL testing, but we've sure buggered up a lot of buffer tubes. The polymer will eventually fail on our secret squirrel punishment tester, but predictably, and the stock generally remains usable. If something didn't give, there ends up being significant buffer tube damage to the point that the stock won't adjust or come off without sawing or prying. It's pretty doggone stout. We also, as always, formulate for performance across the temperature extremes. Hot, cold, room, etc, where a lot of more "shock absorbing" polymer formulations end up testing poorly at elevated or reduced temps. Different philosophies.

On accessories, expect some reinterpretations of classics that fit the more streamlined, lighter weight accessory requirements, and a host of new items. Should see a bunch of releases in mid-October with more coming before the end of the year. M-LOK will also be across the entire line of hand guards by year's end, including SGA and MOE...with more interesting items at SHOT.

MistWolf
09-22-14, 10:21
Duane, any news on a polymer free float tube?

Cobrasks
09-22-14, 10:54
Just skimmed through this thread .

No more colored P-Mags . :(

Guess I'll be buying some Duracoat .

Come to think of it I've got a crate of the M3 P-Mags that I've never
taken out of the bags .

I'm considering a standard BCM Mid-length upper in the near future .
A slimline handguard might just wind up on there .

Junkie
09-22-14, 11:58
I'd like to see M-Lok AFGs and VFGs, are they in the works?

Uprange41
09-22-14, 15:06
On accessories, expect some reinterpretations of classics that fit the more streamlined, lighter weight accessory requirements, and a host of new items. Should see a bunch of releases in mid-October with more coming before the end of the year. M-LOK will also be across the entire line of hand guards by year's end, including SGA and MOE...with more interesting items at SHOT.

Can't wait! Also, can't wait to see those new steel-reinforced AK mags, hint hint :cool:

SPQR476
09-30-14, 16:50
Just wanted to drop in and update on strength testing for the MOE SL buttstock. Didn't want to say anything until we had third party verification of our results, but we just started getting those. We're passing 2 meter, multi-axis drops on a 10 pound rifle in all colors and flavors from multiple test evolutions, and doing it with ease. Pretty stout stuff.

BufordTJustice
09-30-14, 17:18
Duane, any news on a polymer free float tube?
I'd also be interested in this, Duane.

vicious_cb
09-30-14, 18:05
Just wanted to drop in and update on strength testing for the MOE SL buttstock. Didn't want to say anything until we had third party verification of our results, but we just started getting those. We're passing 2 meter, multi-axis drops on a 10 pound rifle in all colors and flavors from multiple test evolutions, and doing it with ease. Pretty stout stuff.

Thats impressive. Probably overkill for most but gives me a good sense of security. Unless you count the time I dropped my rifle from a 2 story deck. Then again it didnt land square on the MOE stock.

Beat Trash
10-01-14, 09:29
Seeing is believing. I needed something to balance out a new 14.5" EWL-F upper with a 13" KMR rail. The STR stocks I've used for the last several years are a bit too heavy, so I bought a MOE-SL stock. Figured it would be a good excuse to try something new...

The weight of the stock gives the balance when paired with my upper that is exactly what I wanted. But that's only the beginning. This new stock locks up so solid, it feels like a fixed stock! You really have to try it to fully appreciate it. The check weld is no where near what the STR is, but it's better than the older MOE/CTR stocks. I'll be buying more of these in the future.

You guys hit a home run with this one...

Little Creek
10-01-14, 10:04
I'd also be interested in this, Duane.

Me too! 10"-15" Midlength free floated SL handguard in FDE, please. One that would work with an M&P 10.

MistWolf
10-01-14, 10:42
I want a rifle length polymer free float handguard for the M&P-10. Yes, I'll be replacing the anvil S&W uses for a gas block with one that lighter weight and low profiled so the longer handguards will fit

Cincinnatus
10-28-14, 23:17
Here is a pic:

I have since tried it. Yes, the handguard needs a little modification to let the mount fit with it.

SeriousStudent
10-28-14, 23:27
I have since tried it. Yes, the handguard needs a little modification to let the mount fit with it.

That was what I did with mine to fit a Surefire X300. It just took a little work with a Dremel and a file while the handguards were NOT ON THE UPPER to create the needed clearance.

It handles like a champ on a BCM 11.5" AR pistol.

Cincinnatus
10-29-14, 00:22
That was what I did with mine to fit a Surefire X300. It just took a little work with a Dremel and a file while the handguards were NOT ON THE UPPER to create the needed clearance.

It handles like a champ on a BCM 11.5" AR pistol.

Yes, not on the upper being the hard part; the Magpul SL handguards fit TIGHT--a good thing--but they are a BEAR to get off without a handguard removal tool or a buddy to hold the delta ring down for you. (Assuming your delta-ring spring is stiff and new,
and not loose as a goose like those on MCRD M-16A2s.) Once you get them on there, don't expect to just pop them off again without some effort.
For the MI mount, I dremeled down only about a 1/2 inch or less to just barely above the Magpul logo on either side of the FSB.
SS, these handguards are perfect for a BCM pistol build!

teutonicpolymer
10-29-14, 17:55
Are these coming in rifle length versions?

SeriousStudent
10-29-14, 20:49
Yes, not on the upper being the hard part; the Magpul SL handguards fit TIGHT--a good thing--but they are a BEAR to get off without a handguard removal tool or a buddy to hold the delta ring down for you. (Assuming your delta-ring spring is stiff and new,
and not loose as a goose like those on MCRD M-16A2s.) Once you get them on there, don't expect to just pop them off again without some effort.
For the MI mount, I dremeled down only about a 1/2 inch or less to just barely above the Magpul logo on either side of the FSB.
SS, these handguards are perfect for a BCM pistol build!

Yup, that's exactly what I did. Dremeled it just enough to fit, then cleaned it up with a file. The fit is very tight, but I like it being very secure. I also mounted a pair of these - one on each side of the handguard:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG528/188

Then one of these on the lower receiver:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG529/188

I've got a spare Blue Force Gear VCAS sling laying around. I shoot lefty, but my daughter is a righty. So it works well for either of us now.

I still need to get a LAW Gen 3 folding stock adapter. But it handles great, and I'll probably make a clone of this for my daughter.

Moose-Knuckle
10-29-14, 21:14
My apologies as I have not read all twelve pages of this particular thread thus far but are the 1/2 oz. lubrication bottles that fit in MIAD/MOE grip cores availble? I only see them listed as part of the MIAD Gen 1.1 kits on the site.

Thanks in advance . . .

splittime
10-30-14, 16:49
We switched to harder pins quite a while ago across the board--new pins, new finish, harder (but still tough). Right now it's a balance between what gives out first. We haven't bent a pin to the point that it doesn't function in SL testing, but we've sure buggered up a lot of buffer tubes. The polymer will eventually fail on our secret squirrel punishment tester, but predictably, and the stock generally remains usable. If something didn't give, there ends up being significant buffer tube damage to the point that the stock won't adjust or come off without sawing or prying. It's pretty doggone stout. We also, as always, formulate for performance across the temperature extremes. Hot, cold, room, etc, where a lot of more "shock absorbing" polymer formulations end up testing poorly at elevated or reduced temps. Different philosophies.

More new stocks on the horizon?

SPQR476
10-30-14, 16:58
Lube bottle cores are coming as a separate sku...we have a lot in the fire, but they are coming.

There are always more stocks on the horizon. MOE SL was just installment one for the AR. Lots more good stuff still in the pipeline in various stages.

Moose-Knuckle
11-01-14, 21:16
Lube bottle cores are coming as a separate sku...

Most excellent, all my Kalashnikovs wear MOE AK grips and can use them. Thanks for the reply.

Shiz
11-01-14, 21:24
Wondering if Magpul will be making Keymod accessories. (not handguards) I know their handguards are M-Lok, but I know lots of people that would be very happy with Magpul KM accessories. (the answer might already be here, I didn't come across it yet though.)

Hkbeltfed
11-01-14, 21:43
If they did, that would be shockingly stupid IMHO.

titanse05
11-01-14, 22:26
Wondering if Magpul will be making Keymod accessories. (not handguards) I know their handguards are M-Lok, but I know lots of people that would be very happy with Magpul KM accessories. (the answer might already be here, I didn't come across it yet though.)
Magpul has already stated that they will NOT be making KM accessories but dedicating their time and effort supporting their M-LOK. They have also stated that one of the reasons that they decided to develop M-LOK was that in their testing they found KM to be inadequate in strength with polymer accessories.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Shiz
11-01-14, 23:11
Gotcha thanks Titan.

jschmitt08
11-04-14, 17:28
Has anyone tried the moe sl handguards in conjunction with the Mossie Midnight Mount? Just wondering if the handguard area that encompasses the fsb protrudes out too far to make it difficult to use the light...if it does work, I think it would be a great combo.Any feedback on this combo yet?

M4Guru
11-04-14, 19:07
Dozer here on the forums is my partner in crime at work, he has this setup. I'll see if he can jump on and share some thoughts.

Dozer
11-05-14, 11:51
Has anyone tried the moe sl handguards in conjunction with the Mossie Midnight Mount? Just wondering if the handguard area that encompasses the fsb protrudes out too far to make it difficult to use the light...if it does work, I think it would be a great combo.

Any feedback on this combo yet?

Dozer here on the forums is my partner in crime at work, he has this setup. I'll see if he can jump on and share some thoughts.

The MOE SL Handguard lends itself very well for use with the Mossie Midnight Mount because of the way the handguard encompasses the FSB on the 3,6,9 o'clock. I'm able place my support hand on the left side of the handguard and have the light accessible without having to over reach for the switch. Recently I ran this particular rifle at a Frank Proctor class and didn't find any issues with attempting to activate the light. Ultimately it will come down to personal preference but if you run a light at on the top rail this is a very familiar feel when you use it.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r29/l_jimenez30/IMG_2413.jpg (http://s140.photobucket.com/user/l_jimenez30/media/IMG_2413.jpg.html)

Hank6046
11-05-14, 12:38
Picked up the Slim Line stock for a build about 2 weeks ago, really like it. I've had it on my DD and put about 200rds down range with it on. Really like how tight it sits to the buffer tube, and the little angle at the base of the but pad is awesome for going into the ready. I love my B5 Sopmod a little more and it has everything to do with the check weld, but after two years and me beating up on the B5 it isn't near as tight as it used to be. I'm looking forward to having the SL Stock on my light weight rifle. I might be pandering a little bit, but proud of magpul, a lot of companies come to the market but can't stay relevant, magpul does really well with this new line

jerrysimons
11-05-14, 14:07
FDE! MID-LENGTH!

SPQR476
11-05-14, 14:12
All colors will be shipping very shortly. Expect mid-length in the spring, but it's on the docket and moving. We've got 15 more product releases before the end of the year, and then the SHOT show releases.