PDA

View Full Version : Colt Mustang Questions

gillian_seed
04-25-14, 16:19
Hello all, after doing lots of research, weighing my options, and handling all that I could, I recently purchased one of the new Colt Mustang XSP .380's. I really like this gun so far, and I plan on shooting it a lot and carrying it a lot. And that's exactly why I come before you today to ask some questions.

To clarify these questions are about ALL Colt Mustangs, I figure even the older ones operate similarly to the XSP model.

1st: Are there any common problems associated with the Mustang pistol? (I'm already aware of accidently flipping the ejector upside down, luckily you can't even do this with the XSP model, lucky me :cool:).

2nd: Are there any parts in particular that fail quickly that I should stock up on?

3rd: The Mustang has an internal extractor like a 1911, does it need to be bent for proper tension like a 1911? Or are they "drop in" and don't need adjustment to work?

4th: Am I missing anything? Fill me in please.

Let's not make this into a caliber debate, I just want advice on the Mustang, and any stories about your experiences with the pistol no matter what model. Hit me with everything you got.

Thank you guys so much!

jukeboxx13
04-25-14, 17:23
I had the older original one, and the slide lock/release pin broke in half on me. Took it to a gunsmith had him fix it then it would FTF so I just sold it. Nice shooter, but was a lil snappy imo.

gillian_seed
04-26-14, 12:56
So an extra slide release might be a good investment, cool.
This is exactly what I'm looking for, keep it coming guys!

itsnotjon
04-26-14, 19:27
I have an original Pocketlite.
Have not had any problems, have about 3k rounds through.

Ttwwaack
04-26-14, 23:56
I own two, a blued carbon steel and a stainless pocket liteand have not had any problems with them. Only problems that I'm aware of through the internet is extractors and ejectors. After Colt discontinued the model, extractors dried up pretty quickly. An aftermarket extractor was produced and they had a bad batch get out the door that either the wrong alloy was used or improper heat treating schedule and they would loose tension. I believe C&S had an aluminum triggr available as an upgrade to the plastic factory that some folks swore by. Now that they are available again, I will stock up on the above factory parts when they become available through the Colt Shop or B's.

gillian_seed
04-27-14, 10:32
Ttwwaack, do the extractors on the Mustang have to be fitted and bent for tension like a 1911? Or are they drop in?

Another question: How often should you change recoil springs on these things? (The answer to this is probably in the damn manual, but I haven't read it yet, shame on me :o).

Ttwwaack
04-27-14, 16:43
I've been lucky and never had to replace one but if I was having FTRB or FTE problems, I would basically attack the problem as a 1911 extractor tuning. Mine aren't high round count guns although they do occasionally fill the niche for pocket carry. At one point in the early 90s, it was a daily driver in an office only environment.

As far as recoil springs, if I had a K through both guns I'd be surprised but based on other pistols in the design family and the fact that it is a short barrel, I'd guestamate at a 1k interval or sooner with a dual Colt factory spring. For specifics, you would have to contact Colt as there if no maintenance schedule in the owners
Manual.

gillian_seed
04-29-14, 10:45
Sounds good, thanks for all the insight Ttwwaack.

Thanks to everyone for all the information so far, this site rocks.

Ttwwaack
06-20-14, 14:58
I contacted Colt Customer Service this morning now that that the Mustang has been in production for awhile to secure some replacement parts that dried up awhile ago. The quest was for a couple of ejectors and extractors to keep my stable running and found that they had none available. In further discussion with the rep., it is a popular request and the issue of offerring replacement parts on their Custom Shop website is under discussion.

The CS Rep. Did give me a few leads for factory parts:

1. C&S

2. Jack First (605) 343-9544. I spoke with the gal here who stated that they just got a fresh batch in. I asked if they were Colt and she said no, aftermarket. It could be possible that they are the same sub/part that Colt is using. Extractors are $44 and ejectors are $25.

Hope this helps, Greg

July4th
06-25-14, 18:28
The only thing mine from the 80's has needed was a replacement spring for the slide stop. Found it at Brownells. Great weapon IMO, basically a baby 1911. Got mine from a LEO who carried it as a back up. I'm guessing from the look of it it's a high round count firearm. Every buddy has made fun of it until they shot it and then promptly made an offer to buy it.

I called Colt and they said for $70 they would do a complete refurb (except for the finish). I've yet to send it in yet though. Good luck getting parts.