PDA

View Full Version : AAC muzzlebrake or brakeout 2.0 for sencer mount on SBR

stahljaeger
04-25-14, 23:21
I just got my tax stamp in for my AAC mini4 and my SBR a little earlier than I expected. I need to get a muzzle device to mount it to 10.5 inch barrel. I will mostly be shooting suppressed. My primary purpose for the mount is to act as a sacrificial baffle. Will the breakout 2.0 protect the baffles nearly as well as the muzzle brake?

It doesn't seem like it would by haven't actually seen the breakout 2 to form a judgement. Supposedly it would be more pleasant to shoot than the muzzle brake, is a little cheaper, and doesn't require timing so it will be my choice if it will also protect my suppressor.

Anyone have any input?

Edit: silencer mount not sencer

sparky-kb
04-27-14, 10:26
I don't have any answers for you but I'm curious to hear more about this device as well. I'm thinking about using it on my 10.5 when I get my stamp. Along with its use as a sacrificial baffle I'm interested in hearing how well it suppresses flash and how the blast is when used on a 10.5 inch barrel.

I was planning on using a Blackout but if I can still get decent flash suppression and a sacrificial baffle by using a Brakeout 2 then I'll go that route.

billybronco
04-29-14, 10:00
okay........got one in hand.

kinda skeptical at first on it's ability to protect my can on a 10.5; HOWEVER, in looking more closely.

They seem to have stopped the threads from running all the way to the back of the "brake chamber". There's approx. 1/4" or less of dead space.....I'm guessing this will help contain and slow the blast a bit BEFORE it enters the brake chamber and then direct it out the three ports. ports are obviously angled rearward about 45 degrees as they should be to help with muzzle rise.

good design.

markm
04-29-14, 11:40
There really isn't much protection from a break as a mount for a silencer. My mount and baffle stack are all equally eroded from the brake all the way through.

I have an old M4-1000 and apparently the only baffle that's inconel is the blast baffle. It's spotless, but everything else is erroding. I think the current AAC cans are all inconel baffles.... so in my opinion, the baffle material is more important than a brake.

The hot gasses appear to follow the bullets path all the way down the stack regardless of brake or flash hider.

billybronco
04-29-14, 14:02
ehhhhh.....yeah, perhaps.

I'm tellin ya now though.....My AAC Brake (dual chambered) has been a beast at absorbing the plasma cutter that is a 10.5" barrel. Pock marking and erosion like a big dog.

Interior of M42K is spotless after several hundred rounds. Doubt it'd be in such pristine shape with a Blackout.

billybronco
04-29-14, 14:04
I do like to shoot unsuppressed sometimes........Part of the reason I got a SBR is to RUN an SBR.

That brake is NO bueno without being covered up with a big, thick, black tube.

markm
04-29-14, 14:13
ehhhhh.....yeah, perhaps.

I'm tellin ya now though.....My AAC Brake (dual chambered) has been a beast at absorbing the plasma cutter that is a 10.5" barrel. Pock marking and erosion like a big dog.

Interior of M42K is spotless after several hundred rounds. Doubt it'd be in such pristine shape with a Blackout.

My dual chamber is taking a beating too. I think your can's condition has more to do with the inconel baffles than the brake doing any thing that great.

billybronco
04-29-14, 14:33
true........plus, I'm sure you shoot a shit ton more than I do......I only run about 1,000 rounds a year.

markm
04-29-14, 14:37
true........plus, I'm sure you shoot a shit ton more than I do......I only run about 1,000 rounds a year.

I really have just started shooting my can a lot recently. It's dedicated to an SBR. I used to shoot it on a 14.5" and take it on and off... totally babying it.

It's pretty old, but just now starting to take abuse. I really wish I had a 2000 for the SBR thing. Maybe if these ridiculous wait times improve, I'll upgrade.

stahljaeger
04-29-14, 14:46
If it doesn't really make much of a difference I'll probably just get a blackout flash hider, although I will wait until I see a review of the brakeout 2.

I'll just use my suppressor on my carbine (blackout mount) in the meantime.

BOOSTjunkie
04-29-14, 15:03
I do like to shoot unsuppressed sometimes........Part of the reason I got a SBR is to RUN an SBR.

That brake is NO bueno without being covered up with a big, thick, black tube.

I second that notion... but also I have an sbr because with a can on a non sbr the thing is too long so really the only reason for an sbr is to run a can in my case.

Jwknutson17
04-29-14, 21:09
From my experience with the AAC muzzle devices and 1000s of rounds through them. (none with the Breakout 2) With anything under a 12.5 inch barrel, the breakouts 12oclock port has significant muzzle flash. That being said, I only shoot that rifle with a can 100 percent of the time now. And the others run Muzzle breaks. Couldn't stand the ping from the blackout. The only reason the other one is not replaced with the Break, is that I don't have clearance with my hand guard to run it. I do like the fact they act as a sacrificial blast baffle, but it would take so long to make a real difference to the can. I like to think Im really doing my can a favor, but it doesn't make any difference in the long run. Wait til you start melting crap to it. After that.. you start not to care too much about aesthetics. And in my opinion, the way the first baffle looks inside the can is strictly atheistic. (No experience with FA suppressed) Or people wanting to clean it out after shooting it.. God forbid you also got some carbon in the can and cant get it out. ;) Pick whatever muzzle device you want to run un-suppressed, and then throw the can on when you want and forget about it. Enjoy it!!

markm
04-30-14, 10:46
My SBRs are either Suppressed or NOT. No in between. I do run a two chamber brake for that reason... but I'm starting to get skeptical about the sacrificial brake theory based on my baffle errosion.

billybronco
04-30-14, 11:10
perhaps erosion on your baffle stack began after the brake chambers blew out?

baffle erosion almost has to be more recent than that of the brake, no?

Fringe
04-30-14, 13:58
My SBRs are either Suppressed or NOT. No in between. I do run a two chamber brake for that reason... but I'm starting to get skeptical about the sacrificial brake theory based on my baffle errosion.

How many rounds do you have through that 1000 Mark, with and without the double brake? Are you still running your first one?

markm
04-30-14, 14:57
Here's my can's history.

Some time around 2007 I bought it. I only shot it on 14.5 or longer barrels very sparingly for the first 7 years. I kept round counts on it for a while... but quit after a few years. I ran the Phantom mount on all the long barrels. Some time around 2009 I had a mild baffle strike with some crappy XM193. So my 2nd, 3rd, 4th baffle, and endcap have had minor damage since.

Even with that though.. the baffle errosion was very minor.

Last year I got a Syrac and gained the ability to run an SBR with my overgassed 11.5. So I grabbed an 18T double chamber brake and dedicated that can to that set up with a setting that ran suppressed reliably, but wouldn't lock back without the can.

I quit cleaning that gun very often, and almost never took the can off. But just this month I upgraded my handguard to the KMR and tore the whole thing down. So I got to inspecting the baffle stack and noticed quite a bit of erosion on the stack baffles that looks just like the erosion you see on brake chamber baffles. (with the exeption of the blast baffle which is like new)

I'd guess that I have 10, 15, or 20 thousand rounds through the can. I think I quit tracking it at 5 thousand. The brake isn't shot out at all... but just has that usual gas erosion you see on anyone's brake mount.

billybronco
04-30-14, 14:59
wow........if nothing else, the damn things are durable. Thanks for the post.

I don't feel so worried about erosion to the interior of my can now.

markm
04-30-14, 15:05
If you have a 2000, forget it. I can tell you my blast baffle, if cleaned up, would look brand new. I shoot the piss out of my can now. I dump about 3 mags every weekend. With the syrac, I can shoot that think as fast as a rimfire.

For all I know, my 1000 has another 20-40 thousand rounds in it. I have a brand new m4-1000 08 model in my safe. The older my current can gets, the more agressive I am with it.

Fringe
04-30-14, 15:11
wow........if nothing else, the damn things are durable. Thanks for the post.

I don't feel so worried about erosion to the interior of my can now.

That and the question that if one does get significant erosion, does it really have a dramatic effect on can db?

It sounds like Mark's can has mostly seen erosion from his use on his SBR and NOT when he was running it on the 14.5's. So he makes a interesting point.

This just furthers my questioning of the recommended use of a brake with a can.

markm
04-30-14, 16:06
That and the question that if one does get significant erosion, does it really have a dramatic effect on can db?

I don't think so. The diameter of the bore on the can is unchanged. Just a longevity concern.

JasonM
05-01-14, 11:25
I don't think so. The diameter of the bore on the can is unchanged. Just a longevity concern.

And suppressed 5.56 is still damn loud, so you'll not notice a few dB here and there.

I've got the same can (M42K -07ish), and have really only used it with FH mounts… it's developed a 3-pronged wear pattern on the Blast baffle, but the old blast baffles are so thick, it will be long time before anything significant happens.

markm
05-01-14, 11:31
And suppressed 5.56 is still damn loud, so you'll not notice a few dB here and there.

Yep. The ONLY time I've been able to hear a sound difference is when comparing a MINI to an M4-2000. The mini has a different tambre and is slightly louder on a bolt gun. But the shorter stack in the mini makes it a wash on a gas gun due to the lower back pressure, and the resulting lower port snap.

billybronco
05-01-14, 12:25
punched few rounds through the Brakeout 2.0 yesterday.....I had top two ports fall right @ 1030 and 1330......Much, MUCH more tolerable than my 2 chamber brake I removed.............HOWEVER, you can definitely notice the exhaust being cranked out on a 10.5"

Wolfpack45
05-01-14, 15:48
My rule of thumb for my rifles and surefire cans is if I plan on running it suppressed 75% of the time or more, it gets a brake. If not, it gets a flash hider. My goal is to reduce wear on the blast baffle to get as much life out of the can as possible.

markm
05-01-14, 16:02
punched few rounds through the Brakeout 2.0 yesterday.....I had top two ports fall right @ 1030 and 1330......Much, MUCH more tolerable than my 2 chamber brake I removed.............HOWEVER, you can definitely notice the exhaust being cranked out on a 10.5"

You had a 2 chamber on a 10.5??? That WILL cause brain damage.

mtdawg169
05-01-14, 16:12

How was muzzle control compared to the brake?

billybronco
05-02-14, 13:09
YES........I did and it was BRUTAL. Brake went to my old man to throw on his 18" Noveske as he has a SDN-6 inbound.

Gun was surprisingly flat shooting.....