PDA

View Full Version : Molle gear and bullet deflection/ riccochets question

Just Prince
04-26-14, 09:10
I am an officer with a medium size agency in Maryland (borders DC). I am also a member of my departments health and safety committee that tackles issues for the department except for SWAT involving equipment ranging from uniforms to vehicles. We are currently tackling the issue of molle outer carriers. We were one of the first agencies in the area to issue a inner and outer carrier so it nothing new. However with the increase in issues equipment being worn on duty belts; injuries and hip problems from wearing a duty belt for 10+ hours a day for 20 or more years Officers including myself have moved away from suspends to molle carriers with the accompanying pouches. One issue brought up recently was the possibility of bullet deflection/riccochet from mags, radios or handcuffs. I know the handcuffs may pose an issue but have any of you heard or experienced issues of bullet deflection from mags or radios whether it was in a law enforcement capacity or combat. I know combat may not be an accurate comparison due the velocity and calibers of the rounds use but it would still give me some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Failure2Stop
04-26-14, 09:17
The potential of ricochet injury from chest mounted gear is below that of steel or ceramic hard armor. This is pretty easily proven with a little bit of live fire.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Just Prince
04-26-14, 09:21
Thanks. That's probably going to be my suggestion. I am still building my knowledge base as it relates to soft and hard armor.

jpeezy
04-26-14, 13:41
Anything you can do to get more equipment off the hips and onto the vest would be very beneficial. I would take the minute chance of a ricochet if it meant more optimal load bearing options. I would also consider any potential training issues with moving around gear from the belt to the vest. I used to run radio and taser on my vest with gun, cuffs, and ammunition on belt. I had so many repetitions with my handgun, cuffs and ammunition on the belt that I felt it would be counter productive to move them. Sounds like you and your department are forward thinking and on the right track. My department recently took away our outer load bearing vest and bdu options putting us back in blues with everything on our belts.

Sierra415
04-26-14, 14:01
Anything you can do to get more equipment off the hips and onto the vest would be very beneficial. I would take the minute chance of a ricochet if it meant more optimal load bearing options. I would also consider any potential training issues with moving around gear from the belt to the vest. I used to run radio and taser on my vest with gun, cuffs, and ammunition on belt. I had so many repetitions with my handgun, cuffs and ammunition on the belt that I felt it would be counter productive to move them. Sounds like you and your department are forward thinking and on the right track. My department recently took away our outer load bearing vest and bdu options putting us back in blues with everything on our belts.

Someone abused the system?

We have external molle carriers and they hugely popular. Almost every Deputy wears one with varying degrees of equipment on the vest vs. on their belts.

Personally, I keep my baton, triple mag pouch, cuffs, AR mag, multi-tool, and note-taking/admin stuff on my vest, while my gun, keys, radio, gloves, and flashlight are on my belt. I have a separate rifle plate carrier that has extra AR mags, G22 mags, water/food, admin stuff, flex/metal cuffs, etc on it for high threat calls.

jpeezy
04-26-14, 14:31
Nope new chief and to some it up he said Mexican drug cartels can easily duplicate our uniform.