PDA

View Full Version : I made my own AK pouches

RMiller
04-26-14, 13:32
I had always tried to make other pouches (mainly AR15) work for AK mags, First AK74 mags, which weren't so bad, and now AK47 mags which are hard to adapt a good mag pouch to. Yea, there are universal pouches, but they always leaned towards the point of compromise. Anyhow, I always came back to HSGI Taco's. Drawing an AK mag from one of these was smooth and trouble free (AK74 Mags were a bit different as the leading bullet, albeit rarely, would catch on the tension cord) However, insertion was a pain and almost always required 2 hands.

So this time around I was looking for a simple low profile way to carry 2-3 extra mags on a TAG Banshee Plate Carrier I picked up. I'm more for lo pro, and would rather not have 12 mags and a crap ton of pouches hanging off this thing. The P/C is mainly there to provide protection against centerfire rifle rounds.

I found my inspiration from a trend to use the kangaroo pouch found in the front of most plate carriers to hold 2-3 mags via an insert. The insert is usually secured by velcro (which is what is used for closure on the pouch).

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/airsoft_TAG_twomag_kangaroo_pch_insert_coy_e_zpskugy5o8y.jpg

After searching high and low I could only find such an item for Nato/AR mags. So back to the brainstorming.... Well, why not make something?? So I went through some spare pouches I had and found a smaller dump pouch that just so happened to secure the entire opening with velcro. Flip it inside out and it was the perfect size to fit the pouch on the p/c and was very secure with the hook and loop.

So to think of how to make the pouch. Most russian pouches are looser and as a benefit the mags are easy to remove and reinsert. I also incorporated some bungee to retain the mags. I also placed the cords to where they arent straight up and down, but are angled with the mags. This helps keep them in place and they are easier to flip off when going for a mag. An accidental benefit was when the cord is moved off to the side , it stays off to the side and doesn't catch.

So, after bribing the gf to bust out her sewing machine, a little tedious hand sewing for reinforcement this is what I have:

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/20140424_2019372_zps5wun37gh.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/20140426_090239_zpsw0m19fwg.jpg

Fit is damn near perfect. Pulling mags and reinserting them is smooth as butter. I also achieved a lo profile. I couldn't be happier, and all I had to do was mutilate a $25 dump pouch.:D

Feedback, Comments, and Thoughts are welcome.

SeriousStudent
04-26-14, 14:40
Very cool, and very practical. I enjoy tinkering with gear as well.

Have you had a chance to take it out to the range yet? If so, any changes that you are contemplating?

I have a buddy that runs AK's a lot, I'm forwarding this to him.

RMiller
04-26-14, 14:55
Have not made it out yet.

I have done some dry reloads and it's performed as well as I've thought. I'll report back once I've made it out and ran some drills.

Very cool, and very practical. I enjoy tinkering with gear as well.

Have you had a chance to take it out to the range yet? If so, any changes that you are contemplating?

I have a buddy that runs AK's a lot, I'm forwarding this to him.

SeriousStudent
04-26-14, 15:05
Cool, it looks like a pretty spiffy mod. And I bet my buddy has a spare dump pouch, too - hahaha.

RMiller
04-26-14, 15:14
Keep in mind the inside it more of a regular cordura type material. The outside, which used to be the inside if the dump pouch, has a water resistant coating.

Cool, it looks like a pretty spiffy mod. And I bet my buddy has a spare dump pouch, too - hahaha.

SOW_0331
04-26-14, 20:32
Great work man, innovation and practicality are a good way to keep productive. It's always good to know if you can't find what you need, you aren't stuck on a compromise. Just as long as the Mk7 Mod1 Girlfriend doesn't start making demands!

I'd like to steal this idea from you, because I never really even considered this. AK mags are a pain in the ass and a lot of my homemade gear is more external. Any way you'd be cool with it?

RMiller
04-26-14, 21:01
Go ahead. It's why I shared. If more benefit from my work, then this thread had served it's purpose.

And the girlfriend always has demands. She's a woman.... :)

Great work man, innovation and practicality are a good way to keep productive. It's always good to know if you can't find what you need, you aren't stuck on a compromise. Just as long as the Mk7 Mod1 Girlfriend doesn't start making demands!

I'd like to steal this idea from you, because I never really even considered this. AK mags are a pain in the ass and a lot of my homemade gear is more external. Any way you'd be cool with it?

SOW_0331
04-26-14, 23:20
Thanks, I plan on using your uploaded picture to draft up the pieces before I delegate the labor. In the past year or so, we've gotten rid of several plate carriers that didn't have the kangaroo pouch. The problem with the AK mags and ammo being bulk and weight, and even on the M4's it's ideal to be slick as possible. Two mags that don't increase bulk or require a belt pouch is great.

Just today I was stoked at how great the Mayflower pouch in the map pocket works for three mags. Actually I have two HK polymer 5.56 mags and one 20rd 7.62 and I can still cinch down on the cummerbund just fine. I saw your well written post and it couldn't have been a better time.

Looks like the girlfriend will be starting her new chores tomorrow. Luckily my girlfriend isn't very demanding.
My wife on the other hand....no pleasing that woman.