PDA

View Full Version : Why is a progressive illumination tailcap flashlight impossible.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-26-14, 18:57
Love my LX2, the problem was someone else loved it too and it has disappeared. The little-pressure/little-light and more-pressure/more-light was really interesting. Two levels was nice, I frankly would have wanted levels at like 2 lumens and 3/400 lumens in addition to the 15 and 200. It is so intuitive to push for more lights. No twisting bezels or tap-off-press to get to a low level, or high level. The LX2 was my EDC and to be able to go from a reading light/navigation/Who-are-you in that alley to full Piss-OFF blinded-man was really nice.

It looks like Surefire has abandoned the model and that tail cap tech. No LX3 or turbo version. I've looked around and it seems no one has the same scheme. Something about patent issues with Surefire? The more-you-press-the-more-you-get is patented? That's novel???

It's been almost a year since I've looked around and gone thru all the threads on Lighthound. Anyone making an 'LX3 Turbo'?

mkmckinley
04-26-14, 19:05
I don't think it's impossible but I agree it's weird that people don't seem to be making them much. I though quantum tunneling composite switches would have made a bigger impact too.

spelingmastir
04-26-14, 19:07
Have you checked out the eb1 tactical?

Redbeardsong
04-26-14, 19:14
Surefire is using that switch on at least some models. I tried a P3X fury with it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-26-14, 22:32
EB1 starts out high, click for constant, off, then back on for low.

p3X is closer

The P3X Fury is activated with a click-type tailcap switch: press for momentary-on low, press further to click constant-on low, return to off and press or click on again within two seconds for high.

In their speak I want

Momemtary-really low to low to high to nuclear blast- click for on high.

Thought someone might be able to shine some light on it..

steyrman13
04-27-14, 01:15
My SF az2 led combatlight is the tailcap you like. Light pressure gives like 5 lumens and hard pressure gives I think 150. You can also twist for constant on as well

bzdog
04-27-14, 01:40
HDS Rotary

spelingmastir
04-27-14, 07:09
I have the EB1 with the tactical switch because of the interface. From the Surefire website:
Tactical switch without shroud — Partially press tailcap pushbutton for momentary-on low output; press further for momentary-on high output. Release to turn light off. Twist tailcap clockwise for constant-on low then high output. No shroud around switch.

jaxman7
04-29-14, 05:47
ColdDead,

I too have an LX2 & love the thing. Sorry to hear about you losing yours. Surefire's EB2 with tactical switch for all intents and purposes is an 'LX2 Ultra'. Same type switch & 5/500 lumens low/high output. This will be my next light I buy.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/eb2-backup.html

-Jax