PDA

View Full Version : DIY Properly Staked Key

No Bananas
05-31-08, 03:34
Is there a tutorial here or somewhere on the net on how to properly stake the gas key on the BCG yourself? Or is this something the average Joe should not attempt?

Looks like all you need is a punch and a hammer, maybe a vice. Doesn't seem difficult :confused:

I can't afford a MOCAKS tool, I'm not building more than one rifle.

Anybody offer the service of properly staking?

dhrith
05-31-08, 04:15
It ain't rocket science. Moacks is a multi functional tool that just plain makes it idiot proof and makes it look professional. I can't believe there isn't a tutorial or pictures, that being said I ain't doing your searching for you. Machinists been doing the same thing for years with a hammer and punch. That's not to knock his tool, if I had the disposable cash laying around I'd probably buy one. But I don't, so hammer and punch it is.

LawDog
05-31-08, 09:19
I am pretty sure Grant does it, if you are going to send it in you might as well get the extractor upgrade as well.

jmart
05-31-08, 11:07
Check PMs.

HES
05-31-08, 22:26
Is there a tutorial here or somewhere on the net on how to properly stake the gas key on the BCG yourself? Or is this something the average Joe should not attempt?

Looks like all you need is a punch and a hammer, maybe a vice. Doesn't seem difficult :confused:No it isnt which is why man folks are mystified as to why all manufacturers dont do this simple step. You can do it with a MOACKS or you can do it with a punch and hammer.

5pins
06-01-08, 14:11
Page 3-17 of TM 9-1005-319-23&P has a diagram of what the staking marks should look like.

Razorhunter
06-01-08, 15:07
Hey 5Pins, or anyone else who knows,

Where is this mystical "TM" document/manual? Where can I get my hands on one? I've been dying to own one, in paperback, tangible form of course.
I've seen them mentioned many times, but cannot locate them.
I'm sure someone is selling reprints/copies, no?
Thanks for any info.
I have no need to read the staking instructions, but I would like to own a copy for other informative purposes.
Thanks.

Luke_Y
06-01-08, 16:35
Hey 5Pins, or anyone else who knows,

Where is this mystical "TM" document/manual? Where can I get my hands on one? I've been dying to own one, in paperback, tangible form of course.
I've seen them mentioned many times, but cannot locate them.
I'm sure someone is selling reprints/copies, no?
Thanks for any info.
I have no need to read the staking instructions, but I would like to own a copy for other informative purposes.
Thanks.

Here you are LINK (http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm) It will be a PDF so you can just print it if you have to have a printed copy. :)

Razorhunter
06-01-08, 23:28
I'm sure I just missed it somehow, but I went down that list, and could not determine which document it was.
Lots of "users" and "maintanence" manuals, but didn't find the needed document.

5pins
06-02-08, 04:57
Here is a direct link.
Fixed link.

http://stevespages.com/zip/united_states_army_tm_9-1005-319-23&p%20-%201_may_1991.zip

Robb Jensen
06-02-08, 06:24
I staked the side staking on this AR10 carrier key with a chisel, and the top staking with a spring loaded punch. I did this work before getting a AR10/SR25 MOACKS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/boltcarriers002.jpg

Razorhunter
06-02-08, 06:37
Thanks 5pins.
I think many of us thought that it was an AR manual, instead of the M107 LR Sniper Rifle manual. I've seen the "TM" manual referred to over the years, in AR threads, so I never knew it was for a sniper rifle platform.
Thanks.

Batt 57
06-02-08, 08:54
Thanks 5pins.
I think many of us thought that it was an AR manual, instead of the M107 LR Sniper Rifle manual. I've seen the "TM" manual referred to over the years, in AR threads, so I never knew it was for a sniper rifle platform.
Thanks.

TM 9-1005-319-23&p is for the AR platform. The wrong link was posted.

Here is the correct one,

http://stevespages.com/zip/united_states_army_tm_9-1005-319-23&p%20-%201_may_1991.zip

5pins
06-02-08, 14:47
Thanks 5pins.
Thanks.

It is the AR manual. I think my mouse slipped and I copied the wrong one. Sorry for the inconvenience. That’s what you get when you post at 3AM. It’s fixed now

Veracity
06-02-08, 19:53

Looks like all you need is a punch and a hammer, maybe a vice. Doesn't seem difficult :confused:

I can't afford a MOCAKS tool, I'm not building more than one rifle.

Anybody offer the service of properly staking?

Grant will do it....do it all.

C4IGrant
06-02-08, 20:32
Grant will do it....do it all.

LOL, yes we will. Last time I checked, we only charge $5 to stake a a gas key.

C4