PDA

View Full Version : HK45 sight options

Coal Dragger
04-27-14, 22:11
Today I traded off a SIG P229DAK that I hated and replaced it with a full sized HK45 because I regretted ever letting go of my old Hk USP 45. I really like this new pistol for the most part, but the stock sights are going to have to go. I hope this subject hasn't been beaten to death, but my search didn't exactly answer the questions I have. There are not a lot of sight options for this pistol compared to a lot of other handguns on the market.

Given that the stock sights leave a lot to be desired I have some questions about the offerings from Heinie, Dawson Precision, 10-8, and the Trijicon HD's. Anyone who has used any of these sights or currently uses them please feel free to give me some input, even better if you've had the opportunity to use more than one of these options. Since it seems like hardly any of them are in stock anywhere I have some time to research.

I am looking for a good balance of sight acquisition speed, visibility, and the ability to make accurate shots at distances out to at least 50 yards (further than that hopefully since I am addicted to shooting rocks at extended ranges). I used to shoot quite a bit of bullseye competition and my favorite sight picture is a dead black front blade on a dead black rear with no glare, but that isn't ideal for a fighting pistol. I will say that I despise a busy rear sight but I don't know if going with a Dawson Precision or 10-8 for a clean black rear is worth giving up tritium inserts which is why the Heinie and Trijicon HD's are also on the list. I do want a tritium front sight at a minimum, and I'm open to a high visibility coloring for daytime shooting as well. Honestly the Trijicon HD looks pretty good but the rear notch is listed at .169" wide and I worry that it will be more difficult to shoot well with at longer ranges. At any rate I'm rambling.

Thoughts anyone?

loupav
04-28-14, 09:56
I've ran an HK45 for a while, although I don't shoot it very much now due to the cost of 45, I still play with it now and then.

I really like the Heinie sights.
http://www.heinie.com/shop/3950p-q-heinie-hk-45-45c-p30-slantpro-qwik-straight-eight-ni/

For me those were very fast and very accurate. I have them on all my HK45/45C/P30.

I'm rather new to Trijicon HD sights, as I just acquired a set for my USP 45, so far I really like them, but have no experience with them on HK45/c.

Mepros have always been a good option for me as well.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/meprolight-tru-dot-tritium-night-sights-hk45-compact-p30.html

I'd like to get a set of 10'8's and see how they stack up. Good luck sir.

High Tower
04-28-14, 12:57
I've been going through the same thing for my P30 (same sights.) While I like the Triji HD fronts, I'm trying to move away from 3 dot sights. I like the I-dot sights from Ameriglo, but they don't make them for the P30/HK45. Heinie sights are awesome, but they cost more and are not readily available for the HK.

So this morning, I ordered the 10-8 rear sight. Once I have them installed I can report back. I'm thinking about using the Dawson tritium front.

Dos Cylindros
04-28-14, 13:47
I have the HK45 and the HK45c. Both of them are running the Meprolight Tru Dot night sights in the three dot pattern. I actually find these sights more than capable for my needs and a very good all around system that won't break the bank. I run Trijicon HD's on my M&P 9c, and while I like them for quick and close defensive style shooting, they are a bit more work when it comes to distance or precision. A Dawson Precision front night sight coupled with a 10-8 rear sight has been a very popular option of HK45's and P30's so you might want to look into that option. 10-8 also makes a front sight in both tritium and brass bead styles. I saw that you mentioned not liking a three dot sight system and I certainly understand that. The Trijicon HD's have no outline around the rear tritium vials, so in all but total darkness your eye can not help but be drawn to the big orange or yellow dot on the front sight. It has been my experience that the HD require (for me) more work to shooot accurately at distance. Because of the huge dot outline on the front sight, the front sight blade is very wide. For me, this makes hits at distance on low probability targets much more challenging. The HD is a great sight, but you give up precision at distance for quickness at short range.

Coal Dragger
04-28-14, 17:43
Thanks for confirming my suspicion before I dropped $170.00 on a set of HD's.

Dos Cylindros
04-28-14, 18:29
Thanks for confirming my suspicion before I dropped $170.00 on a set of HD's.

Given your preferences I would say the Dawson Precision or 10-8 sights would be right up your alley. I'm actually thinking about picking up two 10-8 rear sights to go on my HK45 and 45c. I hear they work well with the Meprolight front sight.

Sgt_Gold
04-28-14, 20:30
Today I traded off a SIG P229DAK that I hated and replaced it with a full sized HK45 because I regretted ever letting go of my old Hk USP 45. I really like this new pistol for the most part, but the stock sights are going to have to go. I hope this subject hasn't been beaten to death, but my search didn't exactly answer the questions I have. There are not a lot of sight options for this pistol compared to a lot of other handguns on the market.

Given that the stock sights leave a lot to be desired I have some questions about the offerings from Heinie, Dawson Precision, 10-8, and the Trijicon HD's. Anyone who has used any of these sights or currently uses them please feel free to give me some input, even better if you've had the opportunity to use more than one of these options. Since it seems like hardly any of them are in stock anywhere I have some time to research.

I am looking for a good balance of sight acquisition speed, visibility, and the ability to make accurate shots at distances out to at least 50 yards (further than that hopefully since I am addicted to shooting rocks at extended ranges). I used to shoot quite a bit of bullseye competition and my favorite sight picture is a dead black front blade on a dead black rear with no glare, but that isn't ideal for a fighting pistol. I will say that I despise a busy rear sight but I don't know if going with a Dawson Precision or 10-8 for a clean black rear is worth giving up tritium inserts which is why the Heinie and Trijicon HD's are also on the list. I do want a tritium front sight at a minimum, and I'm open to a high visibility coloring for daytime shooting as well. Honestly the Trijicon HD looks pretty good but the rear notch is listed at .169" wide and I worry that it will be more difficult to shoot well with at longer ranges. At any rate I'm rambling.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm a bullseye shooter so I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you like the plain black sight picture. I have Trijicon HD's on several pistols. They work well enough for personal defense type training, but the illumination vial and it's surrounding white ring make longer distance shooting a bit difficult compared to traditional bullseye sights. I have found that in very bright light the front sight tends to wash out a little, and that makes it more difficult to keep my focus on the front sight.

I have Heinie slant pro straight eight night sights on an HK45. The vials on the sights are small enough that they aren't really noticeable when used in daylight shooting situations. In bright light these sights look a lot like the traditional black BE sights because the small rear illumination vial just doesn't get noticed being so low on the sight body. The front sight has enough surface area where the tritium vial doesn't interfere with my ability to keep the front sight in focus.

Coal Dragger
04-28-14, 22:28
The Heinie's are definitely near the top of my list now. If the stock sights shoot to point of aim I may go with a set. Otherwise a set of 10-8's or Dawson's if they'll make a front sight to a specific height for zero and then install a tritium vial.

t1tan
04-29-14, 02:37
Very pleased with the 10-8s I put on my Walther when they came out. Ordered a pair for my HK45c as well.

Coal Dragger
04-29-14, 17:40
Maybe we could post reviews of iron sight options we've used for various pistols, not just a specific handgun but a specific sight. Since the sight picture on an aftermarket sight made for one gun will be identical for the same sight on another gun. We have plenty of range reports on various handguns, but not many on optional sights. Which is strange since most stock pistol sights on most production pistols leave a lot to be desired and will often be changed out by an end user.

I wonder if a sticky could be made of such a thread, or a reviews section could be added.

PhilM
04-29-14, 19:54
Heinie straight 8's on both HK45 and P30. No regrets.

Coal Dragger
04-29-14, 22:31
Lots of Heinie fans and 10-8 fans here.

E-man930
04-30-14, 09:09
After shooting my HK45 with Heinie Straight Eights on it for about 4 years I just recently swapped them out for a pair of Trijicon HDs with the yellow front sight ring.
I put about 500 rounds through them so far and like that my front sight tracking is faster compared to my Heinies. Ended up swapping in two additional sets of HDs on my HK45C & P30.