PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Iraq's quickly deteriorating government...

Eurodriver
04-29-14, 08:16
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/david-ignatius-war-returns-to-iraq-on-the-eve-of-elections/2014/04/25/9420d57e-ccae-11e3-93eb-6c0037dde2ad_story.html

The Tribal Revolutionaries are ready to work with the United States to suppress al-Qaeda, Zaydan offers, but he warns: “Iraq is not now a state. It is led by gangs.”

montanadave
04-29-14, 08:40
Anybody seeing a pattern here?

After watching that recent Errol Morris documentary with Don Rumsfeld, with Rumsfeld grinning like a cheshire cat as he parses and prevaricates his every statement and action as SecDef, I'm left wondering if every damn one of those who planned, promoted, and supported our invasion of Iraq shouldn't be run out of D.C. on a rail and permanently barred from ever holding any governmental position, whether it be elected, appointed, or hired.

austinN4
04-29-14, 08:50
..................,I'm left wondering if every damn one of those who planned, promoted, and supported our invasion of Iraq shouldn't be run out of D.C. on a rail and permanently barred from ever holding any governmental position, whether it be elected, appointed, or hired.
It would be a good start!

TAZ
04-29-14, 09:14

After watching that recent Errol Morris documentary with Don Rumsfeld, with Rumsfeld grinning like a cheshire cat as he parses and prevaricates his every statement and action as SecDef, I'm left wondering if every damn one of those who planned, promoted, and supported our invasion of Iraq shouldn't be run out of D.C. on a rail and permanently barred from ever holding any governmental position, whether it be elected, appointed, or hired.

Of course he has a shit kicking grin on his face. He just made millions on the deal and will make millions more as that shithole country implodes and we go nation building again.

The country as a whole just needs to secede from Washington DC and impose travel and economic sanctions against that new region.

SomeOtherGuy
04-29-14, 09:36
The country as a whole just needs to secede from Washington DC and impose travel and economic sanctions against that new region.

That's a platform I could support.

NWPilgrim
04-29-14, 11:59
Of course he has a shit kicking grin on his face. He just made millions on the deal and will make millions more as that shithole country implodes and we go nation building again.

Could we then legally support a local insurgency in DC? Ship arms, etc? :D

Big A
04-29-14, 13:15
All part of the plan...

This will also be used to weaken Jeb Bush's shot at POTUS just like they used bridgegate to weaken Christie.

montanadave
04-29-14, 13:19
All part of the plan...

This will also be used to weaken Jeb Bush's shot at POTUS just like they used bridgegate to weaken Christie.

Lest we forget, President Obama stole the Democratic nomination from Clinton in 2008 be beating her over the head with her senate votes supporting the Iraq war. Making an issue out of the Iraq war is likely to cause more harm to Hillary than it does to Jeb Bush.

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-14, 16:33

The Program for a New American Century (PNAC) was a NEOCON think tank in DC. An excerpt from one of their publications:

"The PNAC program, in a nutshell: America’s military must rule out even the possibility of a serious global or regional challenger anywhere in the world. The regime of Saddam Hussein must be toppled immediately, by U.S. force if necessary. And the entire Middle East must be reordered according to an American plan. PNAC’s most important study notes that selling this plan to the American people will likely take a long time, "absent some catastrophic catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor." (PNAC, Rebuilding America’s Defenses (1997), p.51)"

Then we have this . . . Gen. Clark US will attack 7 countries in 5 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F52p5fWa8

Big A
04-29-14, 21:03
Lest we forget, President Obama stole the Democratic nomination from Clinton in 2008 be beating her over the head with her senate votes supporting the Iraq war. Making an issue out of the Iraq war is likely to cause more harm to Hillary than it does to Jeb Bush.

Nah, she'll get hounded about Bengahzi some and Jeb will be dragged over the coals because of his last name and Iraq was Daddy and Big Bro's playground so he'll suffer in the media from guilt by association. The Dems will use the collapse of Iraq against anybody with Bush as a last name seeking high office. Hell, they'll probably try to spin it against any republican candidate to make them out to be war mongers but if Jeb is the nominee it will just be icing on the cake.

Big A
04-29-14, 21:10
The Program for a New American Century (PNAC) was a NEOCON think tank in DC. An excerpt from one of their publications:

Then we have this . . . Gen. Clark US will attack 7 countries in 5 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F52p5fWa8

And that right there is why Clinton will most likely win. She is in on the plan and willing to keep it going.

montanadave
04-29-14, 21:12

"The PNAC program, in a nutshell: America’s military must rule out even the possibility of a serious global or regional challenger anywhere in the world. The regime of Saddam Hussein must be toppled immediately, by U.S. force if necessary. And the entire Middle East must be reordered according to an American plan. PNAC’s most important study notes that selling this plan to the American people will likely take a long time, "absent some catastrophic catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor." (PNAC, Rebuilding America’s Defenses (1997), p.51)"

Geez, for all that talk about a "plan," you would have thought someone would have come up with one.

For want of a nail, right?

Honu
04-29-14, 21:13
Then you also mean no more Clinton's

montanadave
04-29-14, 21:14
Then you also mean no more Clinton's

Indeed.

SteyrAUG
04-29-14, 23:12
And what did everyone honestly think was going to happen?

Did anyone think we were actually going to get Disneyland in the desert? Soon as we leave the place will either become Afghanistan or Iran depending who is willing to fight hardest. The only real change is we might see a larger Kurdistan.

The bad news is Iraq under Saddam is about as good as things get in the Middle East. You either get an Ayatollah or an Assahola. People in that region only respect radical religion which rules with an iron fist or powerful dictators who rule with an iron fist. If anyone is anything less a group like Al Quida will simply take them out because it is the standard MO of radical Muslims be they Sunni or Shia to establish an Islamic theocracy wherever possible.

Those who want western style democracy simply don't exist in enough numbers and aren't strong enough to keep it. Saddam and his mostly secular state of Iraq was really the "best case scenario" and Bush 41 ****ed it all up because he refused to hold Kuwait accountable for lateral drilling across the border and he backdoored Saddam for doing something about it when he indicated he wouldn't.

Certainly Saddam was a reprehensible individual, but the Shah wasn't so whistle clean either when it came to human rights abuses. Thinking we could "fix" Iraq is as laughable as believing Saudi Arabia still honors the Truman accords in good faith.

The only potential good thing that could happen is it becomes a Sunni state and has another 10 year war with Iran. But given the fact that we have made the Shia so powerful in the area it will probably become another version of Iran sooner or later.

If our plan was to completely **** up Iraq and waste dollars and lives in the effort I'm not sure we could have done a better job. The mismanagement of the entire affair is a complete disgrace and disrespects anyone who served and belittles the sacrifice of those who lost their lives.

Iraqgunz
04-30-14, 01:27
Jeb is a moron and doesn't need any help.

Nah, she'll get hounded about Bengahzi some and Jeb will be dragged over the coals because of his last name and Iraq was Daddy and Big Bro's playground so he'll suffer in the media from guilt by association. The Dems will use the collapse of Iraq against anybody with Bush as a last name seeking high office. Hell, they'll probably try to spin it against any republican candidate to make them out to be war mongers but if Jeb is the nominee it will just be icing on the cake.

SteyrAUG
04-30-14, 01:37

While hardly the "ideal" candidate, he'd probably be better than the other two however slightly that might be. Obviously it would be political suicide to run him regardless of the fact that he'd be better than Christie and a thousand times better than Clinton.

After the last two elections I'm just going to assume the Republicans have been paid off to run the biggest retard they can find so Hillary is guaranteed the election and I'm making every preparation I can for two terms of President Clinton.

skydivr
04-30-14, 08:24
Isn't it AMAZING/IRONIC how quickly Iraq left the front page when Obama got elected?

Jeez we need Cruz...

HD1911
04-30-14, 09:47
Isn't it AMAZING/IRONIC how quickly Iraq left the front page when Obama got elected?

Jeez we need Cruz...

Him, or even Rand Paul... but we both know the likelihood of that happening. No one running and campaigning for smaller government and more personal liberty and upholding the Constitution will ever make it into the POTUS seat.

Big A
04-30-14, 13:07

No argument here, just pointing out how the media will play it.

While hardly the "ideal" candidate, he'd probably be better than the other two however slightly that might be. Obviously it would be political suicide to run him regardless of the fact that he'd be better than Christie and a thousand times better than Clinton.

After the last two elections I'm just going to assume the Republicans have been paid off to run the biggest retard they can find so Hillary is guaranteed the election and I'm making every preparation I can for two terms of President Clinton.

Right there with ya Steyr. FTL...:(

glocktogo
04-30-14, 14:20

That the GOP has even considered running Jeb or Krispy is a testament to their monumental arrogance/ignorance. :(

NWPilgrim
04-30-14, 15:07
That the GOP has even considered running Jeb or Krispy is a testament to their monumental arrogance/ignorance. :(

Exactly! Besides, surely McCain will try again. He loves sucking up to Dems in the spotlight and trash talking every other Repub.

SteveS
04-30-14, 18:47
When you get down to the nitty gritty of the problem ,,,it is the citizens [the majority] are a bunch of illinformed, uninformed,misinformed TV watching do dos.

SteyrAUG
04-30-14, 18:59
When you get down to the nitty gritty of the problem ,,,it is the citizens [the majority] are a bunch of illinformed, uninformed,misinformed TV watching do dos.

Free Shit Army wins again.

Belmont31R
05-03-14, 02:18

Jeez we need Cruz...

That's because Obama decided to abandon Iraq as a spite to Bush. While Bush did sign the SOFA which basically ended the war, Obama basically signed a complete ignore and has led to many of the problems throughout the ME. His actions funded AQ and are worse than doing nothing.