PDA

View Full Version : Eotech's heating up and failing?

JediMindTricks
05-31-08, 14:45
So I am looking for an optic and so far the Eotech series are my favorite for CQB. I was looking for a way to mount one to an AK and I thought about a rail on the top piece of fore end furniture. After this I began to search for answers online and to my surprise I hear a lot of stories about them heating up and eventually failing, as where the aimpoints don't.... Supposedly during heavy use (tactical classes) the AK heat's up too much for the Eotech to support it. All I want is ONE sight that will stand up to this kind of thing for both an AR, and an AK. I can't afford 3 different sights for 3 different guns etc.

Thank you for your time.

Dave L.
05-31-08, 15:03
Are you talking about buying 1 sight and rotating between guns?

JediMindTricks
05-31-08, 15:14
Are you talking about buying 1 sight and rotating between guns?

Yes, unless you think this is not a good idea? They are expensive....:(

BushmasterFanBoy
05-31-08, 15:40
I have no idea where this came from. I keep my Eotech mounted on my AR's LaRue FF handguard back by the heat sink, er barrel nut, and even during long strings of 250 rounds on hot, hot, summer days (where I have to use gloves, and a VFG just to hold and shoot the gun) my Eotech does not fail, despite being mounted in the rearmost position where the rail can heat up first.

As to the AK, I'm not sure how it would work (I'm thinking you are talking an Ultimak mount) any hotter than an AR. If you are still able to hold onto the gun, the Eotech will work.

My experience is limited to 512 models, I'm not sure if the shorter 511, 551, series are as durable, or if the lemons are sorted out in the new 553, 556, 557, etc. new models.

All of this is kind of moot, since on an ultimak mount, I'd want an Aimpoint so I can get it low enough to use irons if I have to, YMMV.

Yes, unless you think this is not a good idea? They are expensive....:(

IMHO, not a good idea, unless you like losing zero and putting so many witness marks on it that it looks like some sort of hieroglyphic. Buy them as you can afford them, with each optic specialized for the gun at hand. (Eotech for AR, Aimpoint for AK as an example)

Dave L.
05-31-08, 16:15
I don't think it's a good idea to change optics between guns, unless you are just trying to figure out which gun will wear it the best.
Don't waste your time and money re-zeroing your optic all the time.
Maybe try the Aimpoint Micro T1 on your AK- the T1 is much lighter than the M2/3/4 models. The T1 also has a 4moa dot which great for an AK, and the T1 battery will last longer than any Eotech will.
If you decide you don't like the T1 on your AK- get a LaRue or ADM riser mount and toss it on an AR.

Keep in mind, any optic you put on the Ultimak mount will make the barrel end heavier-

JediMindTricks
05-31-08, 16:44
Awesome replies, thanks a bunch.

Iraqgunz
05-31-08, 18:35
Jedi,

I have heard some stories as well, but not with the AK, rather the M4. In all the cases I believe that they were mounted over the forward rail (handguard area) and were possibly heating up a membrane inisde the unit. No idea if it's true or not. Some of our guys have shorty AK's with Eotechs on them, but I am pretty sure that no one has fired so many rounds through them that it has been an issue.

BC520
05-31-08, 19:11
I have heard of it when the optic is mounted over the gas tube of the AK's as with the Ultimak brand mounts. I do not have proof of this either being myth or true.

I agree with everyone. One sight per weapon. another option is that if your AK has a side rail, purchase a side mount and try that. They are removable if you need it. Kobra redots are designed for the AK's. I have one that I like, but its not used for defensive use at all.

T1 sights are doing quite well. They are nice choices even though expensive. One of the things to learn about optics is that you get what you pay for. Another is that they oftentimes will run the same cost as the weapon.

Consider going with optics just on the AR at the moment to get the most out of its accuracy potential. Put one on the AK as the funds allow. Another option is that there is nothing wrong with just using irons either for a while. Mastery of irons makes one a better shooter.

one
05-31-08, 20:50
I had a specifically negative experience running a 552 on the Ultimak rail on my Norinco pre ban AK.

After less than 200 rds. I noticed the sight was no longer turned on. I reactivated it and within a few more shots the reticle began flashing and the sight went off.

I took it off the gun and continued shooting for a while. Went back to the sight about 45 mins later and turned it on. I replaced it on the gun and started in again and after the heat built up it shut down again.

After that I switched it to an AR and it seemed to run ok. Until the windage mechanism failed...Then the issue of marking NV reticles came up. Both times Eotech repaired the sight.

I've still got it. It runs alright now. It's a REV F in a REV D body with all the upgrades they had at that point. New electronics, rubber pressure switches.

I use it on a Barrett M82A1 now.

I'd buy an Aimpoint for an AK. At least that's what I run on mine and haven't had any problems. (M2 to be exact).

Ron S.
05-31-08, 20:53
I use it on a Barrett M82A1 now.

One of the more interesting things I've heard lately. What kind of accuracy could you hope to expect out of that combo over longer distances? Also, does it hold up well with that extreme pressure and recoil?

JediMindTricks
05-31-08, 22:09
Another option is that there is nothing wrong with just using irons either for a while. Mastery of irons makes one a better shooter.

True. Good advice. ;)

one
06-01-08, 00:59
One of the more interesting things I've heard lately. What kind of accuracy could you hope to expect out of that combo over longer distances? Also, does it hold up well with that extreme pressure and recoil?

No Earthly idea. As you go further out probably not perfect since it's really not designed in conjunction with that. About the furthest I can do with the Barrett is 300 yds if I'm lucky in having access to that particular area to shoot.

But for 100 to 200 it's a great combo. There is no "scope blackout" with the Eotech so followup shots are much faster. Also I noticed right on the first round I fired off after initially installing it that my perceived recoil on the big gun is even further dampened.

You sit lower down on the Barrett with the much lower mounted sight and that seems to bring down the felt recoil for me. The 552 also offers an easy co witness with the flip up irons. In fact I set it to correspond with the tip of the front sight blade and in two or three rounds I was there.

My reasoning on this set up was in regards to if I ever had to use the gun on a call out to disable a vehicle. I'd almost certainly be stationed somewhere within 100 to 150 yds so distance wasn't a consideration as much as close in speed on first round hit and followup shots. Accuracy is fine for that and the rapid recovery allows for any necessary secondary hits to an engine block.

BigRed
06-02-08, 14:37
Our Iraqis are issued Eotechs mounted on Ultimak rails. Everytime we go to the range there are problems with the Eotechs turning off/on during shooting. I don't know whether it's a heat issue or impact issue. From my own experience with Eotechs (3 diff models) the battery compartment is extemely finnicky.

For optics on Ultimaks I'd stick with Aimpoint or Aimpoint micro designs on low mounts. When I had to carry an AK for work I ran an ultimak with m2 in low ring so I could also still see the irons through the optic. Never had an issue, nor did the other guys on my team with the same setup.

Iraqgunz
06-03-08, 18:46
BigRed,

Just an FYI. I have a point of contact high up on the EOTech food chain who would be interested in hearing of the issues you have. Today I spoke with the SOPMPOD PM and he confirmed the info that was posted concerning the EOTech 553's. He put me in touch with the guy at L-3 and I relayed to him the stories concerning the 552's and how shabbily I was treated by the "customer service rep". He told me that he is going to fix the issue as apparently older model 552's had issues with the battery compartments. If you provide a serial number they can tell you when they were made.

BTW- I am also in B'dad in the Green Zone. Be safe.

Jay Cunningham
06-03-08, 19:01
For optics on Ultimaks I'd stick with Aimpoint or Aimpoint micro designs on low mounts. When I had to carry an AK for work I ran an ultimak with m2 in low ring so I could also still see the irons through the optic. Never had an issue, nor did the other guys on my team with the same setup.

Agree, especially the Micro with the OEM mount.