PDA

View Full Version : Pre-1986 Transferable Colt M16A2 (RO901) Eye Candy and Question

lawdawg97
04-29-14, 22:12
Here are some pictures of my newest toy. Form 4 came in early March.

Can anyone answer the following question?

How can a factory Colt M16A2 with the second generation A2 lower receiver (sometimes referred to as A3 or M4) reinforcements stamped "full auto" with full auto internals stamped "Colt's Firearms Division" with a factory MIL-A-8625 Type III, Class 2 deep black finish exist as pre-1986 machinegun transferable to civilians?

I have posted this question on another forum (though without pics) so if you have seen this question asked before please forgive the intrusion. I researched this topic at length and have 3-4 theories on how such a weapon can be pre-1986 transferable with post-1993 receiver reinforcements and a post-1998 factory finish.

Yes it is transferable. Yes the finish is factory Colt. No Victor at US Anodizing did not refinish the weapon. Yes it was VERY expensive.

Feel free to debate until Scott Ryan chimes in and then the matter is settled.

Bolt_Overide
04-30-14, 11:53
WTF over...

Robb Jensen
04-30-14, 11:57
I know someone who bought a new transferable M16A1 marked Colt 6-7yrs ago for $15K which had the A2 reinforcements at the back end of the receiver.

JChops
04-30-14, 15:01
I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

Whom did you buy it from? The dealer should be able to tell you something about its history/provenance.

Glockace
04-30-14, 15:38
what would that cost to buy?

m4forme
04-30-14, 18:15
[QUOTE=JChops;1905538]I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

I thought the original mfg could replace the receiver of a NFA weapon...
Ruger has replaced AC556 receivers when they had parts in stock but that was years ago...

JoshNC
04-30-14, 19:34
This was debated over on TOS M16 forum and was discussed on Subguns back when Ruben was selling these. I assume you bought yours from Ruben; if so I know what you paid and yes, it was bloody expensive.

This updated A2 lower was not designed by Colt until well after 86. These "modern" transferable Colts must have had receivers that were replaced by Colt with current spec A2 lowers. A few years ago Armament Services International had similar M16A1 marked transferables configured as M4 Carbines with the updated A2 lower.

lawdawg97
04-30-14, 19:39
I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

Whom did you buy it from? The dealer should be able to tell you something about its history/provenance.

I bought it 10 months ago from Vahan at Armament Services International (ASI). Some people have surmised that the ones Ruben sold more recently (2 months ago???) may actually have been from ASI given Vahan's current legal troubles. Not the most charming fellow but has great NFA stuff. Vahan explained to me that divulging the history of the weapon could reveal his source at Colt from whom he obtained this and several other transferable M16A2 with the modern receiver reinforcements.

scottryan
04-30-14, 20:06

This is correct.

scottryan
04-30-14, 20:06
This was debated over on TOS M16 forum and was discussed on Subguns back when Ruben was selling these. I assume you bought yours from Ruben; if so I know what you paid and yes, it was bloody expensive.

This updated A2 lower was not designed by Colt until well after 86. These "modern" transferable Colts must have had receivers that were replaced by Colt with current spec A2 lowers. A few years ago Armament Services International had similar M16A1 marked transferables configured as M4 Carbines with the updated A2 lower.

This is also correct.

m4forme
05-01-14, 20:29
That is a very fine rifle sir...
I'm jealous!!!

lawdawg97
05-01-14, 21:38
This is also correct.

Any truth to the stories Colt registered a bunch of serial numbers immediately before the 1986 ban and then used the serial numbers years later at which time the modern receiver reinforcements were in place?

lawdawg97
05-03-14, 12:45
This is also correct.

If I submitted a FOIA request, what would I look for to confirm that the manufacture date of the original rifle with this serial # predates the manufacture date of the "restamped" rifle with this serial #?

RHINOWSO
05-26-14, 21:51
The cloak and dagger stuff is interesting, but that machine gun is AWESOME!!!

Congrats! I wish I had the coin to buy one.

Smuckatelli
05-28-14, 13:07
Awesome rifle, I'm thinking it is a M-16A2E1 if that flat top is original. It could from the production run that Colt did for Army testing in 85.

Something that is throwing me for a loop; what type of compensator does it have? I can't tell from the pictures but I do notice that it doesn't have a 'peel able' shim washer. that washer played havoc with us when we were issued the A2. It looks like it has a modern crush washer. I'm also being thrown off by the forward assist.....don't know what it is but it just doesn't seem right. It has been a long time since I took apart an A2 so old age might be kicking in.....

Again, awesome rifle, congrats!