PDA

View Full Version : range bag?

cody0341
05-31-08, 18:05
I have decided that I'm tried of carrying my guns in an old backpack or a plastic bag, So now I'm on the hunt for a good range bag. I have looked at a few of them. If anyone has any experience with them. I would like to know which one I get the most life out of it?
5.11 Range Ready Bag
TAC FORCE Range Bag
Eagle large Range Bag
TAG range bag
If anyone know range bags better then the ones I'm looking at let me know. thanks

LOKNLOD
05-31-08, 18:23
The I-Shot (http://www.ishot-inc.com/HTML%202006/index-products.html) bags are pretty nice.

If you're on a budget, look at some of the nylon/canvas tool bags at Lowe's or Home Depot type stores. I picked up a nice Husky tool bag that's pretty heavy duty, and it even came with a second bag that's made a great brass-and-mags bag on the range. And I think it was under $20 for the pair right after Christmas (sale).

AwaySooner
05-31-08, 18:45
For handguns, I use this from ctd. It's awesome.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG141-3047-1078.html

Cold Zero
05-31-08, 18:45
Take a look at the Shooter's Connection, Tournament Range bag. The Cadillac of range bags.

ToddG
05-31-08, 18:46
The perfect range bag is a lot like the perfect holster ... you'll spend lots of time and money chasing after it.

My next bag will probably be an Eagle, though I'm looking at their patrolman's bag since I like lots of external pockets on my range bag. I just need to convince Checkbook Six that I really need a 27th range bag. :cool:

I'd definitely second the recommendation for i-Shot. Their stuff is essentially 85% as good as the really expensive bags and less than half the price. I've used i-Shot bags on and off for years.

The best range bag I ever owned was the Worldgear Shooter's Bag. Sadly, I was the only one who liked it and the company went out of business years ago. It was big, had heavy material that provided (nearly) watertight interior protection, it would (reportedly) float even with something like 10# of gear in it, and it was modular long before the phrase came into vogue. A zip-off top carried tools, cleaning supplies, or other various items. The front had a zip-off pistol rug that was also watertight, floatable, and big enough to carry two N-frames with a velcro'd protective separator in between. Mine lasted about two years through coast to coast travel for training and competition. And it came in colors other than black!

Alpha Sierra
05-31-08, 19:18
Any old soft sided bag with side pockets will do.

Spend the least possible to get function and spend the rest on ammo to train with. You definitely do not need to put the amount of effort and money into choosing one that you do on a holster.

Steve in PA
05-31-08, 20:37
Last year I bought the Midway USA range bag.........been using it ever since.

sapper36
05-31-08, 21:12
WalMart has good range bags for around 20 bucks.

DM-SC
05-31-08, 21:26
I've used the snot out of my i-shot bag since '03 or '04. :cool:

cody0341
05-31-08, 21:40
well ok so I'm going to get an I-shot bag. thanks for all the info.

varoadking
05-31-08, 22:04
And it came in colors other than black!

That might explain why they went out of business...

tjcoker
05-31-08, 23:16
Last year I bought the Midway USA range bag.........been using it ever since.

My Midway bag has been working great too. My training partner likes it over his comperable 5.11 bag. The Midway is basically the 5.11 knockoff.

Hersh
05-31-08, 23:25
Bagmaster is worth a look.

http://www.bagmaster.com/

Ridge_Runner_5
06-01-08, 20:34
Mine came for free courtesy of S&W after buying a Sigma .40 from them last year...

hoveyh
06-01-08, 21:11
I have the Shooters Connection Tournement Series bag and after several years of draggin it around matches is is still good as day one. Nothing has broke, frayed or failed. It is well thought out, Big and Bad. As Cold Zero said a Complete Cadillac. Give Chuck @ ShootersConnection a call. Harold H.

Alpha Sierra
06-01-08, 21:17
No way I am paying more than $30 for a bag to take some ammo, hearing pro, and some mags to the range.

I wear my pistol to the match, anyway.

toddackerman
06-01-08, 21:43
I have the large 5.11 bag and have abused it for 5 years now.

Holds 2 pistols, 6 AR Mags, 200 rounds of 45 ACP ammo, 500 rounds of .22 ammo, 50 rounds of .308 ammo, my elbow and knee pads, my spotting scope and bi-pod, 2 sets of ear muffs, 2 pairs of eye glasses, 2 1911 holsters, 2 1911 mag pouches, an AR mag pouch, 12 spare 1911 mags, stapler, staples, pasting tape, brass bag, extra cap, tools, claning kits, and there's more but I can't remember.

Absolutely the best $120 I have ever spent!

COLT6933
06-01-08, 22:00
anotehr vote for I-shot

M4arc
06-02-08, 05:15
This is a great question because I've been struggling with it as well. I've been swapping back and forth between two range bags depending on what I'm shooting and it's becoming a real pain in the ass.

I've been looking around and while I haven't looked at all the choices you mentioned I've pretty much set my sights on the Eagle Deluxe Pro Shooter Bag (http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=217&CatID=62&SubCatID=10) because it seems large enough for my application yet it doesn't need a dolly to move it around :)

mark5pt56
06-02-08, 06:13
Right now, I have a Competitve Edge Dynamics bag. It's nice, has the pistol rugs in it and nice compartments. I was looking at the Eagle and I-shot as well. I do have 2 smaller LondonBridge Trading bags, not as big, but well designed for a one pistol shooter.

What I've found is range bags are like a house, room etc. --regardless of it's size, you will find a way to cram it full. Ask Dinger how heavy mine was this weekend.

ToddG
06-02-08, 08:49
Like choosing a weapon or holster, choosing a range bag has to begin with an understanding of your actual needs.

What do you put in your range bag? What do you want to put in your range bag? What do you need to put in your range bag?

The answers to these questions will vary depending on your particular range activity. I need a different set of kit when I teach compared to when I'm at the range practicing. What I bring for a pistol match is a lot different than what I'd bring to take a carbine class.

You can dramatically cut down on the weight and size of the bag if you carry your ammo separately. I usually either bring my ammo in the original cardboard case, or in 762 ammo cans. The only ammo in my range bag is a box of my carry JHP, so I can replace the chambered round rather than recycling it time after time.

When I use a smaller bag (like the i-Shot Mini Deluxe), I even keep my electronic ears on the outside of the bag, wrapped around the carry handles. I can fit ten mags, a spare pistol, a blue gun, eye pro, earplugs, lights, batteries, shot timer, a Leatherman, tools, and a bottle of Militec in there along with my range log/diary and plenty of targets (I use 3x5 and 5x8 cards).

RogerinTPA
06-02-08, 11:00
I've been using a ballistic Samsonite computer bag (48 bucks at sams club) for the past 2 years. It has enough pockets to store 4 pistols and their mags (15 in the outer pocket) and 7-8 AR mags in the secondary outer pocket, a range scope, cleaning gear, hearing protection, spare ammo, targets, and has a retractable handle and wheels. :cool:

Severian
06-02-08, 13:46
blank

Joe Mamma
06-02-08, 15:26
With all due respect to the previous posters who suggested the Midway bag, I have one and I consider it a POS. As tjcoker said, it's basically a knockoff of the 5.11 bag (and Shooters Connection bag). If you compare the pictures, all 3 look virtually identical. But, since purchasing my Midway bag, I've compared it closely to friends' 5.11 and Shooters Connection bags.

The Midway bag is a very cheap (low quality) version. I got mine when they were only $29.99 and I still consider it a bad purchase. The most recent thing I discovered about it that pisses me off is that the 2 loops for the handles are different lengths. So when you carry it, the bag is tilted to the side.

I fell for the "same thing just cheaper" thing that you will hear on the internet. If someone wants to save money, I can respect that. But, it's definitely not even close to the quality of the other 2 brands.

FYI, I have an i-Shot bag which is great. I've used it for years. But, I wanted something bigger, so I went with the Midway bag . . . my next bag will be a 5.11 bag or Shooters Connection bag.

Joe Mamma

Severian
06-02-08, 15:53
blank

Joe Mamma
06-02-08, 22:02
Joe, I do not see the problems you describe with the Midway bag. Perhaps you got a bad one, or it has since been updated. That's the first time I've heard something negative about it, actually. The hundreds of 5-star reviews tend to agree. The construction on mine is excellent and appears it will last for a very long time. I really could care less about brand names or whether it's a "knockoff" or not.

Have you compared it to the 5.11 bag or Shooters Connection bag in real life, not online or in pictures? The zippers, fabric, etc. of the Midway bag are not even in the same league as the others.

Another thing that has me pised off is that the shoulder strap is really bad. The padding is not very good (which isn't that big of a deal) but, the strap slides (extends) too easily. So, when you carry it using the shoulder strap, it starts to drop as you walk with it, until it is fully extended.

I also don't care if it's a knock off, except that it's much lower quality. I'd say that it's possible I got a bad one except that it's poor quality in many ways.

I read a lot of those positive reviews before I bought mine but, they were wrong. I'm too cheap to go out and buy another bag right away. So I'll just complain about it.:D

Joe Mamma