PDA

View Full Version : AAR: 914 Consulting Fundamental Carbine 27 April VA Beach

mikejg
04-30-14, 19:14
914 Consulting Fundamental Carbine Course was held at the C2 Shooting Center in VA Beach, VA.

This is the second full Carbine course I've taken with Chris Frank the owner/operator of 914 Consulting. He is a great instructor and as I've said before always brings new material each class to keep it "fresh". I learn something new every class I've taken from Chris.

The class was held in a different range than the typical 100 yard narrow range. We were able to shoot on a square range that was fairly wide and about 30 yards deep. While this didn't allow us to shoot at longer distances it did afford us the opportunity to do more dynamic movements, which was a fresh addition.

The weather that day was great. Sunny with a high in the 70's. There were 8 people in the class, which felt like just the right amount of people. We started with intros and Chris went over the general operation of carbines as there were a couple new shooters in the group. From here we went on to zeroing. It went pretty fast, which was nice, but we were only able to shoot at 25 yards for our respective zeros (most went with 100 yard zero).

After zeroing I think we did our first drill the Half & Half. This got us thinking about offsets early on and helped with the newer shooters to understand the importance of an aggressive stance (10 rounds in 2.5 seconds will rock you on your heals if you don't have a proper stance).

Once everyone understood the effect of offset close in, we worked on reloads then broke for lunch. Chris always brings burgers and dogs for lunch, so no one has to leave and we can all discuss the day's training up to that point. Lunch time on carbine day is also when Chris lets us test our long range pistol skills, which typically consists of shooting 11"x8" steel at 100 yards, but as we were on a different range we were only able to shoot it out to 50 yards.

After lunch we were able to take advantage of all the extra space. We added shooting on the move both laterally and forward/back. We shot from behind barricades, worked on transitions, and engaging multiple targets. We also worked on malfunction clearances. I had a failure to feed in my 14.5 BCM that locked up the BCG and required me to mortar my carbine. I'm thinking it was ammo related as it happened on the first mag after I switched to some old green tip XM855 that was stored loose in an ammo can. I had been running newer XM193 up to that point. Towards the end of the day we went over turning to engage a target and finally we ran a drill a timed drill at 25 yards with steel at 3 stations and we had to sprint between stations and get hits on the steel. It was an exciting way to end the day. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, so if another trainee wants to add something please do.

I can't say enough great things about Chris Frank. His courses really are great training at a great price. I look forward to attending more 914 Consulting courses.

tamabrand
05-06-14, 11:27
Another great Carbine class with Hans. Was an eye-opener for me engaging multiple targets around barricades and not putting too much foot/leg/rearend/chickenwing in order to get my hits. I think we had 1-2 guys who came down from NJ for the class which was reassuring in the pro2A sense and that they chose Hans because of his pretty face. It's always a pleasure learning from Chris and it's definitely good bang for your buck.