PDA

View Full Version : duracoating high end ARs

Elkhound
05-31-08, 20:49
I am sort of just thinking out loud here, but do people actually duracoat high end ARs? I have seen lots of pictures of painted lower priced ARs, and lots of high end bolt rifles done in camo schemes, but never a Novesek, a LM&T, Colt, etc.

Is there a disadvantage to coatings? Or perhaps is it pride of ownership and guys don't want to cover up their higher end rifles? Or, if you have multiple ARs, do you paint the less expensive one and keep your high end rifles pristine?

Certainly not a world shaking, deep thought provoking question, but just something I seem to have observed.

Elkhound

N4LtRecce
05-31-08, 21:56
I plan on getting some sort of camouflage finish professionally applied to my Noveske rifle. Problem is, college is draining my cash at the moment, and I'd rather spend the money that I do have on ammunition/reloading components.

boltcatch
05-31-08, 22:31
As far as I know, plenty of guys do it. I did. I honestly can't see why most people around here wouldn't, since the point of a "high end" brand AR is typically function.

Iraqgunz
06-01-08, 03:07
Here's my .04 cents (gas increase adjusted) about painting. My SOCOM II and Noveske are painted. I didn't use Duracoat, but rather Krylon flat military colors. Part of my thinking on this was due to the fact that they could be easily touched up if needed. I am by no means an expert, but I have painted more than a few. Bottom line is if you clean the parts correctly and do the application of paint properly you will have no problems. It only has to look god to you, not the guy 3 lanes down on the range. I live in a desert environment and that was my prompt for doing them the way I did.

I say save the money on the Duracoat, get some of the good Krylon paint and have at it. If you don't like it, you can always remove it.

Scooter-PIE
06-13-08, 01:41
I duracoated two very expensive rifles that are used for hunting. The first was a LaRue Stealth Upper, LMT Lower, Nightforce2.5-10 compact with Geissele trigger. The second was a custom build with Krieger barrel, Geissele, Nightforce. Everything was Duracoated in desert digital and they look fantastic. The only issue I see with painting your expensive gun is it "may" make it harder to sell. So, I'd be pretty sure you plan on keeping it before painting. On the other hand, I sold a SIG556 that had been painted and actually made a couple hundred over retail....so it doesn't necessarily reduce resale value either.

Bravo30
06-13-08, 02:27
I wouldn't exactly call my AR "high-end" but then it is not "lower priced" either. I built it myself using an Ameetec lower with an LMT complete upper, LPK, BCG, etc.... That being said I probably have way more than my wife would find acceptable in the rifle. Like Iraqgunz, I also live in the desert. What I did was Duracoat the upper/lower in coyote tan. Then I put on a Vltor, stock, TD grig and foregrip, and Troy MRF all in flat dark earth to contrast with the coyote. Finally, I painted steaks of Krylon camo brown over the Duracoat and FDE parts to provide more of a camo appearance. I figured that Duracoat would provide a durable base and the Krylon could be touched up as needed. It came out good and works well for my useage. In addition, it seems to be holding up very well. The Duracoat really doesn't cost much but you do need the tools to apply it. If I sold the rifle I wouldn't expect to get as much for it as I would for an unpainted or freshly painted rifle, mostly because the Krylon has worn in spots and the rifle is well used. I'm not really worried about resale value though since I can't really think of a reason I would sell one of my rifles.:D