PDA

View Full Version : Shot A G42 Today

okie john
05-01-14, 17:16
Got to give the G42 a once-over at the range today. I got the impression that despite being nearly as big as a 9mm Glock on paper, it would be much easier to conceal, but that's just an impression...

Sights are the standard Glock ball & cup sights with very narrow light bars. For all the usual reasons, they should be replaced at once--Trijicon HDs would be great. Trigger was crisp but heavy. Grip needs stippling despite the Gen4 texture.

I shot one mag through it slow fire, resulting in this target. The flyer was the first shot, and is my fault. The rest of the mag (five shots) went into a group that's roughly 4" in diameter--at 25 yards. For reference, the black portion of the bull is 6.35" in diameter.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/okie_john/G24at25yards_zps290607ce.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/user/okie_john/media/G24at25yards_zps290607ce.jpg.html)

This would be an interesting little trail piece if Glock would chamber it in 22 LR.

Okie John

Tzintzuntzan
05-01-14, 19:25
That little gun shoots fairly well. I am intrigued. How many rounds did you put through it today?

okie john
05-01-14, 19:39
Everything you see on that target: six shots, or one full mag.

Not many.

Okie John

decodeddiesel
05-01-14, 20:39
This would be an interesting little trail piece if Glock would chamber it in 22 LR.

That would be AWESOME.

brushy bill
05-01-14, 20:52
That would be AWESOME.

Would have been a few years ago when .22 was still obtainable. Now, not so much. YMMV.

ucrt
05-01-14, 21:27

Just curious, is the Barrel's Feed Ramp into chamber finished or is it shiny bare metal?

decodeddiesel
05-01-14, 22:11
I might make some calls this weekend to see if any of the local fun stores have one of these in stock so I can at least put my paws on one. Even though it's a .380 I'm pretty intrigued.

Would have been a few years ago when .22 was still obtainable. Now, not so much. YMMV.

Yeah, I hear ya. All of my .22lrs went on hiatus when I dropped below 1000 rounds on hand. I have still brought out my Buckmark a few times to let a new shooter use, but that's all the .22lr I shoot these days. Honestly, it is a temporary shortage. It may last another 6, 12, or 18 months but it will get better and .22 will stop being unobtainium. The wave will break, and the carpet bagging asshats who camp out at Walmart waiting for the .22 shipments will have to find some other way to get their beer money.

okie john
05-01-14, 23:22

Just curious, is the Barrel's Feed Ramp into chamber finished or is it shiny bare metal?

No idea. I'll check if I see him again tomorrow.

Okie John

Mike169
05-02-14, 08:44
For the sake of discussion, why shoot an "in your face" caliber/pistol out to 25 yards?

okie john
05-02-14, 09:21
For the sake of discussion, why shoot an "in your face" caliber/pistol out to 25 yards?

I didn't have enough ammo to develop a meaningful baseline on any realistic drill, so I went for a purely academic confidence builder, like shooting a carbine at 400m. If it performs there, it will be fine up close. I also find that slow, deliberate fire makes me focus more, and I have a pretty good subjective feel for how things that show up in slow fire will work when shooting faster.

If that makes sense...

Okie John

Mike169
05-02-14, 10:09
I didn't have enough ammo to develop a meaningful baseline on any realistic drill, so I went for a purely academic confidence builder, like shooting a carbine at 400m. If it performs there, it will be fine up close. I also find that slow, deliberate fire makes me focus more, and I have a pretty good subjective feel for how things that show up in slow fire will work when shooting faster.

If that makes sense...

Okie John

Absolutely makes sense, just curious!

Jesse H
05-02-14, 14:59
So it's got the LCP's caliber and capacity with almost the 27's size.

I'll stick with my 27 almost all of the time, and go to the LCP when I need to pocket carry.

It's a neat gun, but seems to be a solution where there wasn't a problem.

SPDSNYPR
05-02-14, 15:40
So it's got the LCP's caliber and capacity with almost the 27's size.

I'll stick with my 27 almost all of the time, and go to the LCP when I need to pocket carry.

I always find it funny when people use the "solution where there wasn't a problem" or similar phrases. Just because YOU didn't have a problem with something doesn't mean other people don't - but hell - you are probably the smartest guy you know, right?

I have one - I bought it because once I saw one in real life, I thought it was a great little gun. Glad I didn't listen to the likes of you. This is a pocket gun that is truly easy to shoot well. It's already a better shooter than any other .380 I've seen (as the range master for my PD, I see smiths, KT's Rugers, Sigs, Colts - just about everything as BUGs). This thing kicks them all in the teeth.

It's nowhere near as big as the G26. Go look at the two side by side. It is much closer to the LCP. A little bigger, a little more blocky - but that is more than made up for by the fact that (since my PD issues glocks) the trigger, sights, mag release, and takedown and cleaning are identical. And unlike the Walther PPK, sig p232, P3AT, LCP, and about anything else in that class - this thing is a very pleasant shooter (meaning learning to shoot it well will be less difficult)

By the way mister solution to no problem - you got any 105lb female detectives in a narc unit that want a reliable, accurate pistol they can hide out easily, but still shoot well with? That have tried Kahr's, Smiths, Rugers, and several others and had problems with each? No? I do. Guess there was a problem. Hmm. Go figure. A guy on the internet who doesn't own one of these pistols, has likely never shot one - giving his opinion. That's different.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/20140123_123657_zps2948619e.jpg
Here it is next to a Ruger. This thing is very small, very thin, very light, very accurate, and mine has gone 300 rounds without a bobble. The first time I shot it, I cleaned the state pistol course with it (25 yards and in).

If these are all as reliable as mine, this thing could own the backup gun niche (another problem that doesn't exist I'm sure).

HKGuns
05-02-14, 15:40

Well, that certainly doesn't explain the freaking waiting list for them at my LGS.

I had to ask them, a waiting list for that? Really? It was at least 30 deep as near as I could tell and neither of the individuals checking on their status were 105# female detectives.

ETA:

If these are all as reliable as mine, this thing could own the backup gun niche (another problem that doesn't exist I'm sure).

After all, it isn't like there haven't been other, reliable .380 options available for a very long time.

okie john
05-02-14, 16:02
I bought it because once I saw one in real life, I thought it was a great little gun.

I don't own one yet, but I was probably 80% disinterested in it on paper. Having shot it, I'm now more like 80% interested.

Okie John

Jesse H
05-02-14, 16:44
I guess I should've added the disclaimer, "for me" at the end of my statement. My apologies for ruffling the feathers of somebody on the internet.

Buddy has a 42 and it's just too close in size to my 27, "for me" that I'd rather have the 27 IWB off duty, "for me." I'm a small guy at 5'9" and 160lbs and the 42 doesn't comfortably pocket carry, "for me." The LCP is small enough where I can pocket carry it as a BUG in patrol gear or kit and still be able to draw from it. The 42 is just a bit too large for that use. I have absolutely no doubt the 42 would be more accurate in my hands since it's more closely sized to a 27, nor am I knocking it's quality or folks who want one.

I did the same thing with comparing the 42 next to a 27 and an LCP and I just didn't find it concealable enough compared to a 26/27 to favor it over an LCP. I hope Glock sells many of them to many happy customers.

Cheers, happy death of bin laden day.

decodeddiesel
05-02-14, 16:49
An LCP sized gun that is actually easy and fun to shoot seems like a big winner to me. I personally hate shooting LCPs (trigger sucks, sights suck, recoil is snappy and unpleasant) and never picked one up for this reason, but there's no denying the positives of the LCP with regard to CCW. A Glock trigger, replaceable sights, Glock mag release are winners on a pistol in this category.

ST911
05-02-14, 18:17

Confrontational dynamics are fluid. Knowing the gun's capabilities helps you make informed decisions. (25yds is a pretty short distance in the real world.)

The solutions that the G42 brings to the table are a commonality of training, maintenance, and operation to its larger siblings. It shoots well, carries easily, and offers a mechanical and practical accuracy not present in its chief competitors. Accordingly, it's probably the most fight-worthy gun in its class.

Wait list is 30 long? I know of several such lists that are much longer, heavily populated by cops and citizens of all shapes and sizes who want more capability that the existing level of convenience in competitor product is allowing.

Stengun
05-03-14, 09:24
Howdy,

Confrontational dynamics are fluid. Knowing the gun's capabilities helps you make informed decisions. (25yds is a pretty short distance in the real world.)

WTF?!?!?

Over 90% of ALL shootings happen within 7 yards/21 feet so where did you come up with "25yds is a pretty short distance in the real world."?

Just curious.

Back to the G42:

Ill pass. I have 4 Glocks. A G20 10mm that I've had for over 20 years, a G21SF .45, a G23 .40S&W w/ +50,000 total rounds fired, and a G35 .40S&W with+15,000 rds fired.

I'm a Glocker. The G23 is my EDC and has been since 2006.

Lately I've been shooting my G23 with my Ceiner .22LR kit so instead of swapping back and forther I have started cRrying my Taurus PT 845.45acp. It's my work truck gun that I keep in my truck and a month ago a strapped it on and have been cRrying it ever since.

The Taurus, and G20 and G21SF are full size handguns and I spent from 1982 to 2006 carrying a steel frame full size 1911 as my EDC and I just don't understand the "It's to big or heavy to conceal and carry!" mindset.

I can understand at a small man or average size woman might have a hard time carrying a full size handgun but a average size man shouldn't.

Just my $.02. Your mileage my vary.

Paul

joshrunkle35
05-03-14, 10:12
Howdy,

WTF?!?!?

Over 90% of ALL shootings happen within 7 yards/21 feet so where did you come up with "25yds is a pretty short distance in the real world."?

You do realize that your "statistic" includes suicides, right?

Statistics on gunfights vs shootings are much different. Actually, law enforcement engagements with a firearm are trending much further distances, and civilian shootings are trending shorter distances, but both worlds are at all ends of the spectrum. There are many stories every year where civilians lawfully take very long distance shots that are ruled a good shoot. One that comes to mind is one of Tom Givens students that had a gunfight in his front yard at around 25 yards, if I recall correctly, with someone who started shooting at him from across the street. He had no way to retreat and his kids were in the yard, his only option was to fight back. Another was the incident in Texas where the guy shot a bad guy that way shooting at a law enforcement officer. If I recall correctly, it was around 100 yards. These are by no means anomalous, they do happen, and happen often. Yes, obviously gunfights regularly happen at much shorter distances, but they frequently happen at long distances as well.

I would suggest reading any of the material that Claude Werner has put out on the subject. Which is particularly relevant as he is also the King of Pocket Guns.

Of course you should be able to recognize a threat, formulate a (hopefully pre-planned) response, draw quickly and make accurate hits at short distances. Hopefully you can do the same thing at long distances as well.

Mike169
05-03-14, 10:35
There would have to be EXTRAORDINARY circumstances for me to fire on a target that's 25 yards away if all i have on me is a pocket 380. At that range, with that pistol/caliber combo, I'm either advancing or retreating.

I would agree with the above poster and state it's my opinion (supported by current training regimens) that 7-21 yards covers the vast majority of firearms confrontations (excluding military action). I would ask that you provide some source that suicides are included in those statistics and have been shown to skew the average distances.

joshrunkle35
05-03-14, 10:41
There would have to be EXTRAORDINARY circumstances for me to fire on a target that's 25 yards away if all i have on me is a pocket 380. At that range, with that pistol/caliber combo, I'm either advancing or retreating.

I would agree with the above poster and state it's my opinion (supported by current training regimens) that 7-21 yards covers the vast majority of firearms confrontations (excluding military action). I would ask that you provide some source that suicides are included in those statistics and have been shown to skew the average distances.

http://ballisticradio.com

The April 20th podcast, where I believe it is stated and sourced. All of the podcasts are free, and if you're not listening to it, I highly recommend that you do, as it is the best free source of info I've come across, as it is only industry professionals being interviewed.

Aside from that, I have read the data myself, but it would take several hours to find. If the info in the podcast (which is sourced, I believe) doesn't do it for you, then I'll look it up later.

decodeddiesel
05-03-14, 15:28
If I only had one magazine to fire from a weapon and needed/wanted to establish a baseline for it's performance I would prefer to fire at longer distances such as 25 yards. If it can perform well at 25, it sure as hell can shoot at 7.

I had to make sure I was on M4C and not TOS when I read some of these responses.

HardToHandle
05-03-14, 16:50
An LCP sized gun that is actually easy and fun to shoot seems like a big winner to me. I personally hate shooting LCPs (trigger sucks, sights suck, recoil is snappy and unpleasant) and never picked one up for this reason, but there's no denying the positives of the LCP with regard to CCW. A Glock trigger, replaceable sights, Glock mag release are winners on a pistol in this category.

I was shooting my wellworn P3AT this week and came to the same conclusion as the LCP (mostly a copy).

The picture SPD provided on page one picqued my interest if I get improved shoot ability for 10 percent more dimensions over a LCP. Appreciate the OP's info.

ST911
05-03-14, 18:31
Howdy,

WTF?!?!?

I went out and actually measured distances in various homes, businesses, schools, and open lots to see how far things like doors, windows, cover options, arrival/departure angles, and vehicle placement locations were in possible engagement scenarios.Distances exceeding statistical confrontational norms are often exceeded. That they remain the exception and not the rule should not warrant the disregard they often receive.

Having a gun that is comparatively easier to use at these distances, and the ability to do so, just might be handy.

K1tt3n5
05-04-14, 03:41
I didn't want to like this gun, but now I have to have it.

Stubby
05-04-14, 08:17
I purchased a S&W bodygaurd because it's nearly impossible to get a hold of a 42 here in Kansas, I'm 30 something down on a list so I'm just patiently waiting, as for those of you that have it is it too large for pocket carry? Or should I be thinking about an IWB holster for it? The bodygaurd fits nicely in the pocket and dosnt line at all, just debating on spending the cash if it won't fit in the pocket like this http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/pyhapy3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPDSNYPR
05-04-14, 10:36
I bought this specifically to carry in a cargo pocket of our uniform pants. For that purpose it works well. I'm just using a blackhawk pocket holster. I also bought an IWB holster for it, as it might serve as a "run to wal mart to get milk in gym shorts" gun. I can put it in the gym shorts pocket, but it looks like I'm carrying a fat wallet in there when I do.

I think the clothes and pocket are going to have a lot to do with whether this works for you.

ST911
05-04-14, 10:43
I bought this specifically to carry in a cargo pocket of our uniform pants. For that purpose it works well. I'm just using a blackhawk pocket holster. I also bought an IWB holster for it, as it might serve as a "run to wal mart to get milk in gym shorts" gun. I can put it in the gym shorts pocket, but it looks like I'm carrying a fat wallet in there when I do.

I think the clothes and pocket are going to have a lot to do with whether this works for you.

For pocket holsters, check out this one:
http://www.talontactical.com/pocket-holster-small-autos-revolvers-p-1134.html

SPDSNYPR
05-04-14, 10:56
Thanks - that's getting ordered next week. I always buy too many holsters for each gun - one will end up working the way I want. The rest go in "the drawer."

ZERO THEORY
05-04-14, 10:58
I actually fondled one the other day, as well as a Sig P238. It felt good for a sub-compact, but I think I'd rather be patient and wait for the inevitable 9mm that's next to come.